Lagie

Compulsive Posters' Anonymous Volume Twenty

1 hour ago, BringsTheSnow said:

I wish I were eating this well offline! 

Me, too!

Good morning, Lagie and CPA! First time here (shockingly).

Welcome to the madness! Have another brownie!

wow that sounds nuts! 

Totally!  Today it's wrapped in blue tarp and can't be seen.

Just now, trystan said:

what's the actual history of the statue?

It was commissioned by someone here many many years ago, a statue of a 17th or 18th century Italian, and when they decided not to keep it, it was donated to Government House when they were looking for a statue to use for Columbus.  If you know your clothing history, you'd know the clothes the guy is wearing are not from 1492!

I'm just about to leave work.  We are finally having an a/c installed in our pricing room and I had to clear all the tables and stuff on the table from both the inside and the outside of the room so the guys can get to the place where the a/c will go.  The tables had to go, too, as Bahamian workmen are notorious for just standing on whatever's there to stand on, and our folding tables are not strong enough for that.

4 minutes ago, Lagie said:

It was commissioned by someone here many many years ago, a statue of a 17th or 18th century Italian, and when they decided not to keep it, it was donated to Government House when they were looking for a statue to use for Columbus.  If you know your clothing history, you'd know the clothes the guy is wearing are not from 1492!

yeah, but people don't pay attention to clothing history!  do you know who it actually is? of just some random italian dude?

5 minutes ago, Lagie said:

The tables had to go, too, as Bahamian workmen are notorious for just standing on whatever's there to stand on, and our folding tables are not strong enough for that.

oof, that's awkward.

What an exhausting day. Packing personal belongings in the flat to send to Germany. We ended with 9 boxes of about 20-30kg each. Plus three suitcases to drag with us on the train.

18 minutes ago, trystan said:

yeah, but people don't pay attention to clothing history!  do you know who it actually is? of just some random italian dude?

Apparently, from what I'm seeing at the FB pages, it was styled after D'Artagnan from the Three Musketeers!

Gift to the Bahamas from someone in Washington, oddly.

Hope the trip/move goes well, @Elizabeth Moonstone!

Edited by Lagie

24 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Apparently, from what I'm seeing at the FB pages, it was styled after D'Artagnan from the Three Musketeers!

Gift to the Bahamas from someone in Washington, oddly.

interesting, interesting.

i actually have the Three Muskteers novel, and after seeing many movies and a tv series, i think it's high time i read the dang book. a blurb on britannica.com says that D'Artagnan was based on a real person, but how he is in (at least) the first book is pretty much fiction XD 

ooh, good luck, Elizabeth!

Edited by trystan

Seems Christopher Columbus has been taking quite a beating lately. Last year a mob of protesters tore down the statue of old Chris that was in Baltimore's Little Italy and threw him into the harbor. The irate Little Italy residents are raising funds to have him restored. :unsure:

@Elizabeth Moonstone Good luck with the move.

@BringsTheSnow Welcome.

40 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

The irate Little Italy residents are raising funds to have him restored. :unsure:

Someone in one of the Nassau FB groups actually suggested a fundraiser to raise money to help defend the idiot here. *rolls eyes* And was shot down pretty quickly.

Here's the damaged statue:

Screenshot_20211010-141612.thumb.jpg.8752e942c827f91a54a4f142e9bb218d.jpg

Here comes the rain, it seems. At least I got all the stuff moved that I needed to. (And discovered part of why we have so many cockroaches at the shop - a long-forgotten bag of dog food that was so old it had crumbled to dust (the food, not the bag). Oops.)

Edited by Lagie
Adding image

34 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Here's the damaged statue:

ah, yeah, that doesn't really look like the pics i've seen of columbus.

BUT, this is what i think of (now) when i hear D'Artagnan~

Spoiler

DArtagnan_(2014_bbc).jpg

Luke Pasqualino from the BBC's Musketeeers

Well, that kind of looks like the statue, though a bit younger. XD

:D

The rain stopped, the sun came back out, and my cat towels aren't even wet, thank goodness.

oh yaay!

it rained here earlier, it's stopped now.

at my store, they're doing construction in the space next to ours, the space is completely gutted while they work on it.  but along the roofline, where it aligns with ours..... and when it rains - our stuff gets wet! rude!

Good morning everyone!

I'm so not in the mood to work at all

Good morning, Spirit (or rather Good afternoon, I guess!)

Good morning, CPA!

Today is my walking-with-friends day. Our buddy is out of the hospital and checked out with a clean bill of health, which is good. She will not be walking with us today, though, because she is rather tired after her experience. They put her through a whole battery of tests which all came back normal.

It is a nice cool morning for walking. Looks like it will be cloudy.

Edited by purplehaze

Glad she's okay, @purplehaze . Enjoy your walk! (Take pics for her! ;) )

5 hours ago, DragonSpirit009 said:

Good morning everyone!

I'm so not in the mood to work at all

Aww. *huggles*

10 hours ago, trystan said:

and when it rains - our stuff gets wet! rude!

Very! How long will that be going on?

Good morning, CPA! B)

*sets out coffee, teas, juices, apples, brownies, and toast with jam*

It's very still and calm and a little bit cloudy, but it's a public holiday so I have nowhere to go, which is nice. Laundry... here I come. :P

@purplehaze - great news about your walking buddy :)

@Lagie - i have no idea how long it'll all take.

also public holiday here too.  President Biden also acknowledged at Indigenous Peoples Day as well. :D

14 minutes ago, trystan said:

also public holiday here too.  President Biden also acknowledged at Indigenous Peoples Day as well. :D

Hunh. Learn something every day. I didn't know that. Canadian Thanksgiving, too.

I do hope it doesn't rain. The laundry room was closed, so after washing my clothes as Julian's I had to hang it out on the lines. I'm hearing distant thunder rumbles which is not encouraging.

It is a Federal holiday but no holiday for my local government office (where I work) despite Collumbus day. :( Wish I had the day off like some of the rest of you folks. 

Also, @Lagie all of your talk of baked goods is giving me cravings. Might have to get out the mixing bowl when I get off work today!

31 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Canadian Thanksgiving, too.

it is!

6 minutes ago, BringsTheSnow said:

It is a Federal holiday but no holiday for my local government office (where I work) despite Collumbus day.

the stock market is open today, so i'm at work.

not sure if i ever had Columbus Day off.... however, there is no mail today, so there's that.

We had a lovely walk. The trail we picked for today is a rugged forested trail. It is used by mountain bikers and I was surprised how many of them were out there today. The last time we walked it, we were nearly the only ones there.

Now I need to get busy and bake some cookies to take to the church tomorrow for the bag lunches that they hand out to the homeless/needy. We still have not gotten back to serving hot lunches in the dining room.

Lots of baking going on, it seems!

The funny thing is, in real life, I pretty much only bake at Christmas.

Storm still looming...

1 minute ago, Lagie said:

Storm still looming...

Hope it holds off until your laundry dries!

Hello, peeps. How are y'all? Haven't popped onto the forums in a while.

And good luck with the storm, Lagie! Please don't blow away.

5 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Hope it holds off until your laundry dries!

I got the wash house opened - and used the dryer! XD

1 hour ago, Lovecats said:

Hello, peeps. How are y'all? Haven't popped onto the forums in a while.

And good luck with the storm, Lagie! Please don't blow away.

Doing well! Hope you are, too.

The storm seems to have petered out. There are still big puffy clouds in the sky, but it never rained here and the thunder has stopped.

30 minutes ago, Lagie said:

The storm seems to have petered out.

29 minutes ago, Lagie said:

I got the wash house opened - and used the dryer! XD

Both good things, right?