Lagie

Compulsive Posters' Anonymous Volume Twenty

I have a large poinsettia plant that I've had for years that really holds its color. In November, it was looking pretty and starting to turn red at the tips. Then CAT SMASH!  A cat jumped in it after a bug or something and broke half of it to bits.

I have had no success with rooting cuttings off of it. 

So I did a search and I got this:

"Commercial poinsettia growers start cutting their poinsettia in flower insects or peat sash. Since cut raisins can grow in glass, it tells you that they don't need to be in moist soil - in fact, they don't need to cut their land at all. Instead of using floral foam or Prococo compressed chips-n-fibre"

What it is actually supposed to say according to the page above it in search:

Commercial poinsettia growers start their poinsettia cuttings in floral foam or peat moss. Since the cuttings can grow in foam, that tells you that they don’t need to be in moist soil – in fact, they don’t need to be started in soil at all. Instead of using either floral foam or sphagnum peat moss, neither of which are very earth-friendly options, I recommend using a sterile seed starting mix or coconut coir.

Good morning, CPA! B)

*sets out coffee, teas, juices, apples, brownies, and toast with jam*

That fried cream sounds tasty, @Long_Before_Sunrise! You were Walking_Until_Dawn before, weren't you? Did you change it to make the cookie event easier?

*snugs Fortune back* Hope you had a good holiday!

Spirit, sorry about Muggie. *hugs* I'm glad you have Penguin to keep you company. Stay safe in that new wave.

It's cold again this morning, but today is a public holiday here so I can just stay snuggled on the sofa.

@Lagie

Waiting_For_Dawn. I got locked out of the forum on my original forum account because of password/email trouble. I was finally able to reclaim my scroll name.

Walking_Until_Dawn is more a description of my chronic sleep problems. 😆

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

XD Oops. Well, I was close, at least. Glad you finally got the two to connect.

I enjoyed that cookie event. I do hope it returns as an activity next year.

LAGIE!

*huggles*

Thanks.... I really miss her! I still cut small food treats in two.

Hi there Long_Before_Sunrise.... Is it okay if I just call you Sunrise?

I know actually what plant you are talking about I have no clue how to take care of them. That is more my mothers thing.

Spirit! *huggles back*

It's always hard when our pets go.

The difference between those two paragraphs is quite dramatic, @Long_Before_Sunrise. Do you have any of the original soil left to work with? I could probably find coconut coir here but doubt I could get it to you. ;) Silly cat knocking down your plant.

33 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

I have a large poinsettia plant that I've had for years that really holds its color. In November, it was looking pretty and starting to turn red at the tips. Then CAT SMASH!  A cat jumped in it after a bug or something and broke half of it to bits.

I have had no success with rooting cuttings off of it. 

So I did a search and I got this:

"Commercial poinsettia growers start cutting their poinsettia in flower insects or peat sash. Since cut raisins can grow in glass, it tells you that they don't need to be in moist soil - in fact, they don't need to cut their land at all. Instead of using floral foam or Prococo compressed chips-n-fibre"

What it is actually supposed to say according to the page above it in search:

Commercial poinsettia growers start their poinsettia cuttings in floral foam or peat moss. Since the cuttings can grow in foam, that tells you that they don’t need to be in moist soil – in fact, they don’t need to be started in soil at all. Instead of using either floral foam or sphagnum peat moss, neither of which are very earth-friendly options, I recommend using a sterile seed starting mix or coconut coir.

Just asked my mother about the poinsettia.

She said the peat moss and sand is the way to go.... and apparently you need to add some plant hormones or something as well.

from yesterday:

13 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

😮 I have never seen that egg before or even heard of it.

it's been so long that i don't even remember how i know of it XD

office day today.  yesterday was my only day this week at the retail job... i'm off friday and saturday.  i'm debating with what i might reply if they call me either of those days because someone has called out.  i have an errand to run on friday (get more cat litter in my refillable containers), so there's that taking up my day XD

it's not as cold outside today - there's no wind. :)

3 hours ago, DragonSpirit009 said:

Just asked my mother about the poinsettia.

She said the peat moss and sand is the way to go.... and apparently you need to add some plant hormones or something as well.

Thank you. It's rooting hormone. I have that.

1 hour ago, trystan said:

it's not as cold outside today - there's no wind. :)

I'm willing to send you the breeze here. It's cold and damp so it's even colder. 🌬️🌫️

1 hour ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

I'm willing to send you the breeze here. It's cold and damp so it's even colder.

hm.... no thanks.  i'll pass on that. XD

Greetings, CPA!

Had a nice family Zoom yesterday. My daughter surprised me by inviting my sister who I haven't seen in 9 years! It was nice to see her, but kind of sad to see her husband who is in the early stages of dementia from Parkinson's disease. He did participate a bit in the conversation, but you could tell he was not as sharp as he used to be.

Thanks, Trystan. I just wish I were closer to offer my sister more support. They live in Arizona.

wow, that's quite a ways from MD.  my family is mostly PA, but there's a few in MD (brother and cousins).  my mom's brother's family is the furthest away though - they're in florida.

That must be difficult. I am glad you were able to see them on Zoom, at least.

I have been dismantling Lego sets. It's a shame the older Christmas sets have pieces that turn brittle. I ended up with two flat out broken pieces and a bunch of little chips.

oh that's not so good, Lagie.

i'm crocheting tonight - i'm working on the Appa i'm making for younger daughter.  i'm finally almost done.

@trystan, I forgot to tell you - I received one answer to that question about the Georgia senators:

The Congressional runoffs will not affect the presidential electors as they different entities. The two senatorial races have nothing to do with who was elected president

Have fun with the crocheting!

yeah, i'd been seeing articles that GA has to wait until their deadline for overseas ballots, and then they need to certify the results from all the counties, and THEN the senators will be sworn in.  i saw something about jan. 22.

i always have fun with the crocheting! :D 

Hope it went well!

I need to be up early tomorrow. Stoopid 9 a.m. staff meeting on what's supposed to be my day off. :rolleyes:

Good night!

*poofs in a cloud of Ferrero Rocher*

i finished foot #5, and now i'm working on foot #6.  then i get to make the legs. XD 

stoopid 9 a.m. ewww!

Good morning everyone!

Man only the second day of work and I'm already exhausted

Good morning, CPA! B)

*sets out coffee, teas, juices, apples, brownies, and toast with marula jelly*

*sends Spirit a pillow* Work is exhausting after a vacation.

I need to set off in about ten minutes. I am borrowing a friend's car to venture to the wilds of the southern side of the island where I never, ever go because it's now too crowded to pick up a stupid redone credit card that I didn't even ask for because my branch is closed due to downtown being a ghost town due to Covid so they moved all the cards from there to the farthest away possible branch. Sigh.

Did you finish, @trystan?

@Lagie - well, i did finish the feet.  i'm starting the legs are today, no idea how long it'll actually take to make them, though.

had my follow-up Dr appt today.  she seemed okay with the fact that even though my bp was high, my own monitor (1) showed the same bp at the office, and (2) that in the mornings when i've taken it, it was lower than it was in the office.  so this means that (1) we keep my meds the same as they are now and (2) i won't have to go back for another 6 months.  which is good, because that's when i'll also get my second dose of the shingles vaccine.  i had a mild case back in 2000, and i really don't want even another mild case, no thanks!  i also got some info to make another appt for fun stuff once you get to a certain age. goodie.

and i just hatched my gemshards.  they're both blue. ugh. i have blue ones. *sigh*

Yay for almost done. And for meds the same. Boo for blue? In gemshard context.

I spent a long time on hold with the card centre and will pick my card up from somewhere closer next Monday. Staff meeting was nice and short so I was able to get lots done today. (I hope the baby cam works in my office... )