CCatspaw

Suggestion to insert a new Egg limit btwn last 2 tiers

I would suggest an  additional limit inserted between Gold 500 dragons and  Platinum 1000 dragons.  Something like Titanium 800 dragons to make the transiting more smoothly and leviate the feeling of struggling to make the last level.  The last tier would appear not to be so steep. 

The increase to 1000 was carefully thought out. It does take awhile to get to 1000 but a gold scroll has more egg slots and hatchling slots than a silver scroll, so that facilitates a faster increase. I wouldn't want TJ to change this.

I'm with Fiona. The rise is exponential - 50 > 200 > 500 > 1000 and with each level there is the extra egg to make it easier. It makes sense.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I, too, don't see the need.

By the time you have a gold trophy, you are experienced, and should be able to make the platinum trophy easily. You also have extra eggslots.

Don't forget, the AP has lower-timed eggs, which are often caveborn or pretty lineaged, so it isn't like you need to collect junk to get to platinum. People also FFA hatchlings all the time.

Don't worry, CCatspaw. You will get there.

It's hard for me to comment on the easiness/hardness of getting to 1k dragons because by the time the Platinum trophy was introduced I was already way past that amount. But looking at the different tiers it does seem that the numbers were planned out a very specific way... and all egg-to-total limits are exactly x3, ie every tier the total growing things limit is always 3 times the egg limit amount.

Also, the difference between Gold and Platinum numbers is proportionately the *smallest* leap: 50 to 200 is a leap of 4 times the previous amount of 50, 200 to 500 is a 1.5-times leap, but 500 to 1,000 is only a a double-leap, exactly 1 more '500'.  It makes a lot of sense the way it is right now

I'm not sure my math rambling is really understandable, but I tried. And I have to ask, would this 'intermediate' leap (Titanium) also come with a egg/growing things increase? Because, while of course his opinion could change over time, TJ was rather strongly against a higher number than the max 8 we have now (which was actually only added a few years ago), and if the Titanium included increases it would have to be 8 eggs, so Platinum would end up being 9 eggs. 

hummm

500 eggs to reach 1000 Platinum 

that means 500 / 7 per taking =  72 eggs per 4 days before hatching

now each egg => 7 days - 4 days it takes to hatch =  3 days to hatch per egg if it does not exceed the 4day mark + 1 to error on the side of caution = 4days [6,5,4,3]

72 eggs needed * 4 days per egg =  288 days to reach the next make

and this is only ideal if nothing interfer 7 eggs * 3 days per = 216 days

so lets say between 216 to 288 days to reach the Platinum tier from the golden tier if you take 7 eggs at a time  

That's not long. It took me the longest to get up to Bronze, to be honest. And that assumes all are CB from the biomes. You can get lower time eggs from the AP, and freeze a lot of the hatchies, too.

Someone here - I will search - got to platinum in about 6 months from scratch, and listed exactly how he had done it.

Sorry - still no support.

37 minutes ago, CCatspaw said:

hummm

500 eggs to reach 1000 Platinum 

that means 500 / 7 per taking =  72 eggs per 4 days before hatching

now each egg => 7 days - 4 days it takes to hatch =  3 days to hatch per egg if it does not exceed the 4day mark + 1 to error on the side of caution = 4days [6,5,4,3]

72 eggs needed * 4 days per egg =  288 days to reach the next make

and this is only ideal if nothing interfer 7 eggs * 3 days per = 216 days

so lets say between 216 to 288 days to reach the Platinum tier from the golden tier if you take 7 eggs at a time  

Your math is faulty. I mean, who needs 4 days to hatch an egg? I usually need two due to Incubate - and had reached the stage of "endless incubates" if I didn't hunt the AP about the same time I hit 500 dragons. (Which, coincidentally, was shortly before trophies were introduced. I raised lots of reds from the announcement until implementation.) So, you only need half of the 288 days - plus three days extra for your hatchlings to grow up. 147 days of active play (logging in once a day). Plus a little extra if real life gets in the way. Less than 4 months.

It isn't 500 eggs to reach platinum from gold, it's 500 dragons. From gold to platinum you may only have 7 egg slots, but you have 21 hatchling slots. I could do the math using just hatchling numbers on  how long it would take to reach platinum from gold, but it's a lot shorter than 216 days, especially if you're freezing some of the hatchlings. Hatchlings are often available through trading, through departure threads, through taking lower time AP eggs and incubating them.

I also did a little math using just CB eggs, assuming that once you hit bronze trophy you're incubating everything. Roughly, from bronze to silver would take about 60 days, from silver to gold would take about 100 days and from gold to platinum would take about 143 days. It's not that huge a leap.

In fact, if TJ were to use your suggestion of 800 eggs to a titanium trophy the time from gold to titanium would be less than the time from silver to gold. The time from titanium to our current platinum would be less still.  And yes, would mess up our current egg slot progression, as titanium would need to be 8 egg slots, 24 hatchling slots, so platinum would end up with 9 eggs slots, 27 hatchling slots. (under your suggestion but using my math it would take just 86 days to get from gold to titanium, and about 44 days to platinum from there, while still taking 100 days to get from silver to gold)

Do you see that that idea messes up any progression? It's supposed to be rewarding to make it from each trophy level to the next but this progression idea using titanium rather trivializes gold to titanium and especially titanium to platinum.

I've just got back from a good five years of non-playing. I 've returned in December 2019 and I was on 700 dragons mark. You don't have to spent a lot of time here, which is awesome I think. Today I've reached 995  and I am almost there without any trouble. So I agree- this is totally reasonable and reachable, AP is a great source of helping you, so I don't think you have to insert something in between. Sometimes I can't even reach 7 eggs/21 hatchlings=) But only sometimesX)

4 hours ago, Fiona said:

It isn't 500 eggs to reach platinum from gold, it's 500 dragons. From gold to platinum you may only have 7 egg slots, but you have 21 hatchling slots. I could do the math using just hatchling numbers on  how long it would take to reach platinum from gold, but it's a lot shorter than 216 days, especially if you're freezing some of the hatchlings. Hatchlings are often available through trading, through departure threads, through taking lower time AP eggs and incubating them.

I also did a little math using just CB eggs, assuming that once you hit bronze trophy you're incubating everything. Roughly, from bronze to silver would take about 60 days, from silver to gold would take about 100 days and from gold to platinum would take about 143 days. It's not that huge a leap.

In fact, if TJ were to use your suggestion of 800 eggs to a titanium trophy the time from gold to titanium would be less than the time from silver to gold. The time from titanium to our current platinum would be less still.  And yes, would mess up our current egg slot progression, as titanium would need to be 8 egg slots, 24 hatchling slots, so platinum would end up with 9 eggs slots, 27 hatchling slots. (under your suggestion but using my math it would take just 86 days to get from gold to titanium, and about 44 days to platinum from there, while still taking 100 days to get from silver to gold)

Do you see that that idea messes up any progression? It's supposed to be rewarding to make it from each trophy level to the next but this progression idea using titanium rather trivializes gold to titanium and especially titanium to platinum.

100% agree with this. They aren't supposed to be just tick boxes.

6 hours ago, Fiona said:

This is exactly what came to mind when I saw those 'calculations'. It seems those calculations are based on worst/longest scenario for every step (if it's actually based on any real game times at all). It *never* takes a full 4 days to hatch a brand-new egg, unless you are lazy/careless and don't actually put it in hatcheries until that amount of time has passed. All eggs can hatch in 3 days from their starting-time, and it only takes 2 days if using Incubate. And yes, AP times are pretty much *always* lower-timed than the biomes, and much of the time you can grab an AP egg and literally hatch it within a couple hours. AND, there are actually CB eggs tossed to the AP fairly often, so even if you only collect CBs you certainly don't have to get them all from the biomes. 

Add to that the option of acquiring hatchlings from trades, and the ability to freeze a certain number of hatchlngs every 2 weeks.... Yeah, it's *really* not as hard or long to get to Platinum as the OP seems to think.

Trophies aren't give-aways; you are expected to actually earn them.  This means putting work into the effort and not moaning about how hard it is.  When you get one, it's something to be proud of.

Frankly, I'd rather see some discussion about adding trophies for 5,000, 10,000, etc. since there are more and more players with large collections. It would be nice to have something to strive for again.  :D

9 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

Frankly, I'd rather see some discussion about adding trophies for 5,000, 10,000, etc. since there are more and more players with large collections. It would be nice to have something to strive for again.  :D

This please. 

I would think a more reasonable level would be 2000. That's twice the platinum level. That said,  I'm not sure I want more trophies. 8 is such a perfect number of egg slots.

And I believe TJ said 8 was as high as he'd go - and it makes perfect sense. As you say - the perfect number. Unless we got 16.

HEY OK - 16 egg slots and a titanium trophy for 50,000. I was going to say 20 - but Princesslucy is already there, and there may well be others !

No more slots doesn't mean we couldn't get more trophies for higher number, just for display purposes.

Metal trophies for eggslots, then gem trophies for congrats-only? Or whatever else to distinguish their purpose.

I don't see a need to insert another one before Platinum though. This is supposed to be a longterm game, after all, so why the hurry?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I can see why this was suggested as I'm nowhere near 1000 dragons (took a few years off whilst studying regret it haha) and at a glance 500 to the next tier seems a lot, but personally I love having something to accomplish it's like completing the pokedex but for dragons haha gotta breed or hatch them all :) I think 500 is rather doable if committed to which I'm slow to do but I like the jumps as they are I think the gaps between are well thought out so I agree should stay as is I'm afraid 

P.s. I might never reach the high 1000+ but new tires for thoughs big breeders would be nice to give them something to work towards again :) like a 5000 or 10000 and higher.

Edited by Bloommist

45 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

No more slots doesn't mean we couldn't get more trophies for higher number, just for display purposes.

Metal trophies for eggslots, then gem trophies for congrats-only? Or whatever else to distinguish their purpose.

I don't see a need to insert another one before Platinum though. This is supposed to be a longterm game, after all, so why the hurry?

I agree with all of what Ruby Eyes said.

I don't think we're ever going to get more egg slots, because 8 really is the best number to have 4 even pairs, and a good start to a 4EG linage on its own. 

I do love the thought of getting gemstone trophies based only on number of dragons and not adding anything else other than just a cute little visual badge! 

The thought of the metal trophies being for actual egg limit additions, and the gemstone trophies beyond that being more cosmetic badge of achievement for total number of dragons seems very sound to me. It makes it easy to tell at a glance who the big-ticket breeders are which is actually helpful sometimes when viewing another person's scroll. Especially for trade and breed IOU purposes. :)

Cosmetic only trophies could be fun. 5000 is a big jump, but if it's only for bragging rights might not be too bad. I'd be curious though just what percentage of the players would be anywhere near that number. There are a few outliers I know who are in big numbers, but they're exceptions, not something most people have. I could be closer to 5000 if I had made a practice of keeping my scroll full the last couple years, but I haven't. And I've been playing for 12 years.

Cosmetic trophies - OK as long as they wouldn't hide the REAL ones. I am fond of my platinum. That I EARNED. (I'm at  well over 8,000 myself.) I rather suspect, though, that it is people who don't have a huge number who get excited about this. I'm totally meh. The only reason I jumped for joy when platinum was invented was 8 eggs - the perfect number,.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I'm over 10k. I would totally love a Ruby trophy for that, next to the Platinum one XD

Exactly - NEXT to ! Not instead. And not between gold and platinum. (But I'd prefer sapphire if it's all the same to you.)

Sapphire could be 5k? It's mostly the same material as Ruby anyway ...

Maybe that should be a separate suggestion? Since the OP's intention is clearly another eggslot, not a display-only trophy.