Red Dragonette

Why do people keep offering eggs & hatchlings nobody asked for?

18 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

That's my pet peeve too!   I suspect some people just want to see if a better offer will come along.  I wish there was a way to tell if the person you are offering it to has actually seen it or if they made their post and then haven't been back since.

@Stormcaller What I do, when possible, is check their Forum profile for activity.  If I see they've been on the forum since I offered, it seems reasonable to me that they might have checked their trade.

I know it's not a guarantee and it only works for those who have a forum account, but it's better than nothing.

In any case, I no longer leave an offer on for more than 24 hours.  If they haven't managed to take a quick peek, or make a decision in that time frame it's too bad but I need the space for hunting or breeding.

As for people offering things that weren't requested, they're likely just taking a chance and I don't mind.  I've accepted many of these offers when I liked what I saw.

Also, I know it's petty, but I've been known not-reject some ridiculously low offers just to leave the offender hanging.  I only do this to seasoned players who should know better of course, not to newbies.

No indeed, but I'd been hanging with that egg for two days... I guess they didn't check for a while and then took the first offer.

6 hours ago, Pourlemoment said:

@Stormcaller What I do, when possible, is check their Forum profile for activity.  If I see they've been on the forum since I offered, it seems reasonable to me that they might have checked their trade.

I know it's not a guarantee and it only works for those who have a forum account, but it's better than nothing.

I've done that too, Pourlemoment.  It's a good idea, and if you can check out their scroll, you could even find something they might like better than what you offered, even if you offered just what they asked for. It only takes a minute to check out their highlighted groups.

6 hours ago, Pourlemoment said:

In any case, I no longer leave an offer on for more than 24 hours. 

That 's pretty much my maximum time too.  :D

21 hours ago, Pourlemoment said:

What I do, when possible, is check their Forum profile for activity.  If I see they've been on the forum since I offered, it seems reasonable to me that they might have checked their trade.

Not necessarily. I myself put up trades so rarely that I sometimes forget to check my trades. Since I'm using the old site skin, I also don't get notifications of new offers.

So I would look active in the forum and still might not have seen your offer. A quick PM could help there if you're in a rush ;)

This is such an interesting thread/conversation.

Sometimes when I am hunting the cave for a specific egg, another great egg I don't need will appear. If I catch that egg, I may offer it in trade to someone offering the egg I was seeking. I do try to offer equal or better egg than I am seeking. If that doesn't work, I may open my own trade, or send the egg off in departures. Hope springs eternal.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:12 PM, tjekan said:

The trade box is the size of a postage stamp. It's impossible for me to add everything I'd accept in a trade to the box, so sometimes people offer things I didn't ask for and I still accept them.

Oh my goodness, this. Sometimes I have about 100000 things I would accept, but can only fit a few, or one very specific want. 

I don't mind if there's things put in the trade link that I haven't asked for, but I DO mind when it reappears in there after I rejected it the first time (and reappears, and reappears...) because then my notification icon keeps going off!

On 2/15/2020 at 11:01 AM, Astreya said:

I mainly get annoyed if I specifically breed something for an offer and it gets declined, particularly when after the decline the offer is still available. (In that case I usually try to offer a second time in case the person accidentally hit "decline", but when it is then declined a second time, that person goes on my personal blacklist.)

I have done this before. I feel bad about it, but sometimes I have specific parameters for what I'm looking for that are impossible to fit in the trade box, so there's really not much I can do about it. On the forum I have the ability to tell people I need a checker that isn't related to lineages X, Y, or Z, but not on the trade hub.

I do always feel worse when I can see that somebody just bred their egg for me, but if I already have its sibling, I'm not going to inbreed my lineage just because of their trade offer...

@tjekan

That's indeed a valid point, too. I guess we really need that function that we can give a reason for declining stuff (from "you are egglocked" to "sorry, the dragon is related to my lineages").

I hadn't really thought to check for forum trade posts as well as the game trade posts, but that's a good idea. My rule of thumb is that I only offer "off-request" material if I really super want the trade item and and can't get it any other way (mainly when breeding is over). If people only knew my personal credo, they'd at least pause and think "Well, Stardust must really want this, maybe I'll do it." But that's, you know, a fun pipe dream. ;)

I wish we could counter-offer if only to say "let's take this to the forum." So many players have game names that don't match forum names. 

I personally hate needing things from particular biomes(zombies and those biome-based tombstones), specyfying it, yet still getting only the wrong ones if anything, and IF I accept (because one of the unwanted critters from the offer is correct) I can't find swaps and I'm forced to release in the end:/ Same when my bf or cousin try.

Come on, if the biome didn't matter it wouldn't be specified...

We just don't have enough space there... that's why people got so spoiled and offer just whatever so notoriously - a few people explained those people's reasoning and it all comes to too tight character limit...

Another problem is people offering too many >eggs< without even trying to check if their offer can be accepted (instantly or within a reasonable time) - for instance, growing things are visible on my scroll and nothing is as easy to find as the number of eggs I have and how much time they need before becoming hatchable as I barely need to fog eggs.

1 hour ago, Toyo said:

Oh my goodness, this. Sometimes I have about 100000 things I would accept, but can only fit a few, or one very specific want. 

I don't mind if there's things put in the trade link that I haven't asked for, but I DO mind when it reappears in there after I rejected it the first time (and reappears, and reappears...) because then my notification icon keeps going off!

@Toyo There's a way to get notifications when someone offers on your trades in the Hub? 

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@tjekan

That's indeed a valid point, too. I guess we really need that function that we can give a reason for declining stuff (from "you are egglocked" to "sorry, the dragon is related to my lineages").

I *so* wish we had this. Especially for egglockedness. It's a pain to check everyone's scroll before offering, and not everyone even has their eggs visible on top of their scroll.

For things like the lineages being related, it would be nice to know after the fact, but even nicer to know in advance. That way people dont waste their time breeding if it isnt the right lineage. I dont know why we cant just link to a forum post from a trade. People dont HAVE to come here, but it could provide them with extra information if they choose to...

27 minutes ago, Pourlemoment said:

There's a way to get notifications when someone offers on your trades in the Hub? 

https://dragcave.net/notifications

On certain site skins, you do not get a notification symbol (Blackout and one more, I forgot which), but on all the others, you should get a little bell when something notify-worthy happens, I think.

5 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

https://dragcave.net/notifications

On certain site skins, you do not get a notification symbol (Blackout and one more, I forgot which), but on all the others, you should get a little bell when something notify-worthy happens, I think.

I'd never even noticed the bell!  Thank you! :)