Red Dragonette

Why do people keep offering eggs & hatchlings nobody asked for?

Whenever I ask for something particular, some idiots offer me something different. I never asked for them for them, so it should be obvious that I do not want them. Because apparently, some people can't read, we have to add "NO OTHER OFFERS" to our trade posts. Does anybody else get this kind of problem, too? Does anybody know why this happens?

I know I'm ranting here, but I just want to vent out my feelings for this.

Maybe they don't read. Maybe they just really want what you have and are hoping that if you don't get what you want then you will accept their offer. Who knows? Yes, it happens to me all the time, too, but I just reject them and don't let it bother me.

Not only does it happen to me, but a few times I've accepted the not-what-I-wanted offer. Sometimes, someone offers something you didn't realize you wanted!

Cheers!
C4. 

34 minutes ago, cyradis4 said:

Not only does it happen to me, but a few times I've accepted the not-what-I-wanted offer. Sometimes, someone offers something you didn't realize you wanted!

Cheers!
C4. 

I've done this too! I've also accepted a not-wanted offer after hours with no other offers and I just would rather get rid of whatever I was trading than wait for another offer. It is of course frustrating to get a trade notification and see that it's something you haven't asked for, but I think most people who do it simply don't have what's being asked for and are hoping their offer is wanted anyways. It's no big deal to just click reject if you really don't want it.

1 hour ago, cyradis4 said:

Cheers!
C4. 

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

I've done this too! I've also accepted a not-wanted offer after hours with no other offers and I just would rather get rid of whatever I was trading than wait for another offer. It is of course frustrating to get a trade notification and see that it's something you haven't asked for, but I think most people who do it simply don't have what's being asked for and are hoping their offer is wanted anyways. It's no big deal to just click reject if you really don't want it.

30 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I have on occasion taken an offer I didn't ask for if it's something I want.  They do no harm.

I'm with all these. A n offer for some other lineage I happen to have in particular. Sometimes even something I was about to ask for on another offer.

They do no harm - it's no sweat to reject them

Also, 100 characters is really small so I have to leave out a lot of other things I'd also accept and tend to assume people who write a lot of text do that too. Obviously there's no excuse beyond not reading if they see "no other offers" and try anyway.

I've done this quite recently too. Because I saw the same person with three trades, and at first, they all were for (not further specified) hatchlings, among other things. I needed to wait until my eggs hatched, then offered - even though the trade was now for something else. It didn't hurt to try. It didn't hurt to not get the trade after two days of waiting, either - although I'd have appreciated a rejection sometime earlier.

I have accepted many trades for things I didn't ask for. Sometimes I didn't receive any offers for what I advertised for and took a completely different offer. It's all good. If I was really adamant about accepting only what I wanted, I would add " no other offers" or "only" on my trade. It's all good.

I make an offer, someone else makes a counter offer.  It's all good.   Look, this is a game and there's no point in getting stressed over it. 

Let me tell you what happened to me today.  I had a low time - three hours from maturation - low time magma hatchling that I tried to get rid of.  I offered it at least three times to people who had more or less ordinary bred eggs and it either wasn't seen or was ignored.  It hatched on my scroll.   Now I'm hoping I didn't stress anyone out too much...  :D

I often dont even have specfics I want, just looking for something that catches my eye more than what I have, random offers are fine,

I've also accepted a few offers for things I didn't ask for. The eye roll for me is people offering messy commons for something rare or my personal favorite, a vampire when asking for an unbreedable (paper or chicken). I don't personally offer things not asked for on trades though as I don't want to be a bother.

I recently got a offer that wasn't even close to what I asked for on a 2nd gen gold hatchling.  But stun was soon to wear off and I looked at their scroll.  They didn't have a gold at all and the self bred hatchlings they put up were about the best they had, was only a bronze trophy with around a hundred dragons.  I took their offer so they would have their first gold dragon,  one hatchling I kept and froze and the other two went to departures and claimed.  Sometimes you need to put the shoe on the other foot and think about why someone offered what they did.

There's been other times I wasn't so keen to let something go and would end up keeping when I didn't get an offer I liked.  But either way it's not worth letting yourself get worked up over.  Sometimes things click and sometimes they don't.

Sometimes I wonder if the thing I have up for trade is interesting for *anyone* at all, and then I prefer having a non-matching offer rather than none. It is still my own decision if I accept it or decline.

I suspect that the answer to your question would be: Hope.

Having worked with the public for years, I can tell you right now that the average person is generally not as bright as we'd like to believe--hence our societal problems AND your specifically unasked-for offers :'D 

6 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Having worked with the public for years, I can tell you right now that the average person is generally not as bright as we'd like to believe--hence our societal problems AND your specifically unasked-for offers :'D 

That, of course, is another factor. That and a teeny weeny bit of narcissism. "My dragons are the best, sure you can see that and will accept my amazing offer."

10 hours ago, Dracaena said:

I recently got a offer that wasn't even close to what I asked for on a 2nd gen gold hatchling.  But stun was soon to wear off and I looked at their scroll.  They didn't have a gold at all and the self bred hatchlings they put up were about the best they had, was only a bronze trophy with around a hundred dragons.  I took their offer so they would have their first gold dragon,  one hatchling I kept and froze and the other two went to departures and claimed.  Sometimes you need to put the shoe on the other foot and think about why someone offered what they did.

Yes - I've done that too - looked at the scroll and wanted to do a favour.

7 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Sometimes I wonder if the thing I have up for trade is interesting for *anyone* at all, and then I prefer having a non-matching offer rather than none. It is still my own decision if I accept it or decline.

I suspect that the answer to your question would be: Hope.

Exactly this. Hope that they will accept anyway.

I don't care about any of this, but I DO wish that people would use the decline option instead of keeping one hanging around for days.

18 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't care about any of this, but I DO wish that people would use the decline option instead of keeping one hanging around for days.

Same here. Although I kind of turned the tables on my last attempted trade. Leave me hanging for 2+ days? Well, guess what? My scroll won't be able to accept the trade 24/7. Because I'm not willing to keep an egg slot open for days on end during the holiday breeding season. No trade is good enough for that.

The trade box is the size of a postage stamp. It's impossible for me to add everything I'd accept in a trade to the box, so sometimes people offer things I didn't ask for and I still accept them.

If enough people accept unasked-for trades, even occasionally, people will keep offering them--not because they're stupid or desperate--just because they know it sometimes works

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That's my pet peeve too!   I suspect some people just want to see if a better offer will come along.  I wish there was a way to tell if the person you are offering it to has actually seen it or if they made their post and then haven't been back since.

I have gotten so many amazing offers that were not what I wanted.  Recently got a 2nd gen prize kin, when all I was asking for was blacktip hatchling.

I guess it depends on what people have and how badly they want what you have to offer.

My general rule is that I will instantly decline a seriously substandard offer (unless a newbie), and leave a decent offer there if I cannot accept because they are egg-locked, hoping that they will get unlocked for me to accept. If you offer what I am looking for, or close to it, I will accept it as soon as I see it.

15 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I can tell you right now, I have so many parents ask if we have club t-shirts, when they are standing right next to the rack of... *drum roll* club t-shirts! So people are not smart... But also, if they're like me, when I am looking for something and it appears to be out of stock at the shops, I'll ask just in case they've had a shipment come in and haven't had a chance to un pack it- so I can come across as annoying, because look- not on the shelves = not here, but I've worked retail, restaurents etc, and if you're lucky and nice enough, someone might have what you want, same as in this case, people hope that you are willing to part with what you have for what they have. 

I can understand that it can be annoying, especially if you have "no other offers" but also, you need to remember that this is primarily a kids game as well, so you might have some youngster who either missed what you said, or simply is unable to get something pretty for themselves any other way. Sometimes they simply don't think about stuff like that particularly hard, I still have kids at work who totally think it is acceptable to take candy from a stranger if you run away fast enough afterwards *Facepalm*

I usually ask for something specific and then run out of space where I could write that other stuff might be accepted, too. XD

Personally I don't mind if people offer other stuff - if I'm not interested, I decline. And sometimes I get stuff that looks so cool that I just have to accept it anyway, so I would have missed out if the person offering it wouldn't have been daring enough to offer it anyway.

If I offer something a person in the trade hub doesn't ask for, it's just an attempt to see if that offer maybe would be accepted (mostly when I absolutely want the offer and my dragons didn't comply with what is asked for). If my offer is then declined, I just shrug and don't mind as I probably deserved it for offering something else.

I mainly get annoyed if I specifically breed something for an offer and it gets declined, particularly when after the decline the offer is still available. (In that case I usually try to offer a second time in case the person accidentally hit "decline", but when it is then declined a second time, that person goes on my personal blacklist.)

Edited by Astreya

5 minutes ago, Astreya said:

I mainly get annoyed if I specifically breed something for an offer and it gets declined, particularly when after the decline the offer is still available. (In that case I usually try to offer a second time in case the person accidentally hit "decline", but when it is then declined a second time, that person goes on my personal blacklist.)

Oh YES. Though the last time I did that I was so cross I went to their scroll in a rage - to see that someone else had ALSO bred specially, and presumably got in first.

@Fuzzbucket

Well, in that case the trade wouldn't be up any more, so if I breed something specific and the trade is gone afterwards, then I think "oops, was too slow". I only get ballistic if the same trade is still up there afterwards.