VixenDra

anonymous sign in no longer works

as in the title.

It's been quite a few days since I login "anonymously" but my username shows in topics and online section (without the * sign characteristic for anonymous login) and "Last visited" refreshes to "just now".

Please fix.

Ok, so I'm not actually visible at elast to one user, so I guess I'm reporting the fact that the * doesn't show to me when I'm anonymously logged anymore, which misled me. Some kind of indicator that the anonymous login works or not is needed.

Edited by VixenDra

These were the responses when the same had been mentioned in July last year:

weird, it only started happening to me during recent days, not back in July.

Also, I see myself browsing this topic without the * :<

the anonymous login basically doesn't work... it changes nothing now. And therefore is very misleading

21 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

weird, it only started happening to me during recent days, not back in July.

Also, I see myself browsing this topic without the * :<

the anonymous login basically doesn't work... it changes nothing now. And therefore is very misleading

Are you still here? Because I do not see you on the list of people who are online at the bottom of the page. Could be because you are actually gone, or it could be that it is working, but doesn't look like it to you.

Just now, purplehaze said:

Are you still here? Because I do not see you on the list of people who are online at the bottom of the page. Could be because you are actually gone, or it could be that it is working, but doesn't look like it to you.

I was gone, and how about this minute?

You are not on the list as I see it. Just refreshed the page and checked.

If you want to see how it looks like to everyone else but you, open the forum in a new Private Window and check.

Yes! It is!

sometimes I like to read and not feel (me-imposed) pressure to post. Especially in topics that are more, uh steamy? intense? than others. I can reread previous posts and take in those perspectives in my own time, and also think about how to best word my responses (if needed) without feeling pressure to post immediately because ppl can see me there.

It also simply feels uncomfortable for ppl to see where I am and what I'm doing. (Not just here, anywhere!)

Edited by Uther_Pendragon

Oh absolutely - sign in anonymously; we all do it it times. But do you rally need the star to tell you that's what you did ? It feels a bit like having "name" and "hid > unhid" in our action log. Superfluous.

I think the problem is that people don't feel confident that they really are posting anonymously if it doesn't show the star.

You can look at the home page and see the list, where you are not !

19 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You can look at the home page and see the list, where you are not !

But what VixenDra was saying is that they ARE on the list. Without a star.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

But what VixenDra was saying is that they ARE on the list. Without a star.

exactly this 1439698824_Ishowupaonlinetomyself.thumb.png.6cb091fb3cde2c461bc135ae188b82ac.png

and

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

I think the problem is that people don't feel confident that they really are posting anonymously if it doesn't show the star.

and what Uther_Pendragon said is also accurate. I just felt very insecure, especially when I have very few minutes to check in and just feel like suddenly someone might expect me to respond very soon while I'm just finishing my breakfast or coffee while being about to leave for work or other duties but may be perceived as ignoring someone when it's not true - which is also the reason why I hate that the Last Visited suddenly started reacting to me while I'm on anonymous mode, and moreover, with a creepy accuracy. I see the former mentions of this happening are from July but for my account this info only started updating just a few days ago, not counting the few times when I simply forgot to tick the anonymous mode (and yes, I was relogging multiple times to make sure I DO tick that option:P).

Still, I'd rather know if I do show up or not without taking extra steps I don't have time for when I really want to use the anonymous mode... it's just some extra, unnecessary stress I don't need in my already stressful life.

Edited by VixenDra

I believe TJ has said he has to manually readd the star every time the forum updates. He may just have not gotten around to it this time. Unfortunately I don't think anonymous mode for profile works to hide your recent activity anymore, unless that's also a setting TJ can change.