meeps114

What ratio of unnamed to named dragons do you have?

I’m curious, I see a lot of people with scrolls that have thousands of named dragons, and I was wondering what the average is? I’m at about 50%, although my hope is to one day have all of my dragons named. I feel a little behind since I rejoined the site and almost all of my old dragons had lost their names (although I only had about ~140 dragons when I rejoined.) But I still have newer dragons that I haven’t come up with names for. Now I basically go through my scroll and name a couple of dragons at a time, whenever I have inspiration. Do you guys name each dragon as soon as it grows up, or do you wait and think on it a little bit?

If it's grown up or frozen, it has a name. Not until, as I once had a hatchie die on me, and it took its name with it :(

But that means, basically,. 100% named. I name them almost as soon as they grow up - though sometimes it takes a few days when it's a new breed and I need to CONSIDER.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I have several hundred that will stay unnamed because I want to keep their code easily visible. At over 10k creatures, that's still not too many though :D

around 10 % of my dragons stay unnamed because of their codes (currently 978 out of 10092)

I collect All-Numbers codes and readable "name" codes in the format XXXXX and Xxxxx

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I have several hundred that will stay unnamed because I want to keep their code easily visible. At over 10k creatures, that's still not too many though :D

The few I have like that are named WITH their codes or with such codes evident in a very obvious way..

https://dragcave.net/view/aR0O

https://dragcave.net/view/MudUp

Every adult dragon on my Scroll has a name. The only unnamed ones are some frozen Vine hatchies that I keep as spares if I need name place holders.

I have 558 unnamed, out of over 23,000.

The only reason that they are not yet named is because I name my dragons when I check their lineage and log the good lineages in a document for future breeding.

28 out of 1,632 grown dragons :D

I have actually unnamed some of them purposely, but only because they've had a cool code. That works as a name perfectly!

I often name my dragons during the hatchling stages already, I generally hate unnamed dragons on my sroll. There was a time when I had like hundreds of unnamed(or names that needed to be changed) dragons, and it was a piece of work to give them all a name.

13 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The few I have like that are named WITH their codes or with such codes evident in a very obvious way..

Sure, that's what I do with ALMOST cool codes, but how would I name e.g. (Sect) in a way that people would KNOW it's her code, besides something ugly like "my code is Sect"? Some codes are just too awesome to be covered by human-picked names.

Okay, interesting! You guys are good about keeping up with naming your dragons. Looks like I’ll have to catch up. At least I only have about 200 unnamed ones right now. I think holiday ones will be the hardest for me since I have so many repeats of them. I only have a couple with codes worth keeping (xAsS and EVYCT being my two favorite)

Edited by meeps114

I name pretty much all of my dragons, except for those with codes so hilarious that I'd rather keep them visible as is. :D So at the time of writing this, I only have around 7 unnamed adults and one unnamed frozen hatchling, and in total I have almost 7,000 dragons on my scroll.

I name all mine as soon as they hatch.  I give them a name made from their code and a last name of their breed. 

I used to do that. Till I lost a name through death. Now I wait till they grow up.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I used to do that. Till I lost a name through death. Now I wait till they grow up.

But dead nonfrozen hatchlings get deleted after 2 weeks ...

Yes indeed. But their NAMES stay unusable. You lose a name for ever if the dragon dies.

19 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes indeed. But their NAMES stay unusable. You lose a name for ever if the dragon dies.

Only if the dragon that carries it is still in the database. Which is NOT the case for nonfrozen hatchlings. Try to use that name again?

Too long ago to remember, but OK - I will.....

I have 4000/10000 or 2/5 approximately unnamed 😅 There'd be an even bigger percent unnamed if I hadn't gotten into lyric lineage making, but that still means a ton of my scroll will probably never be named; only projects, adult bred dragons, special dragons and 2 CBs per breed are guaranteed to get a name.

@Fuzzbucket I believe Starsea tested this as well, and once they vanish after 2 weeks the name becomes reavailable. You could ask her for a second opinion?

This doesn't look great I've got 8,655/16,815 unnamed that does include a fair number of codes tho... I'm slowly working to name them when inspiration hits. 😂

10 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

@Fuzzbucket I believe Starsea tested this as well, and once they vanish after 2 weeks the name becomes reavailable. You could ask her for a second opinion?

No worries - I will test it on some zombiefodder when I have a hatchie available. THEIR names are ones I will never need again ! Thanks.

And OK - have fogged hatchie that needs to die, so I named it. WE shall See !

Edited by Fuzzbucket

*hangs head in shame* The 60% (give or take) of my dragons are unnamed. Someday...

At a wild guess, mine are about 75% named, I think?

Most of the time I name lineaged dragons as soon as - or before - they grow up, unless I'm particularly stumped.  (Sometimes you have five great ideas... and every single one is taken.)  Caveborns I'm more lax on.  If I got it for a specific purpose, I'll usually name it right away.  If it's a new release and I'm just trying to grab enough for scroll goal, I may not name any of them till later.  Same for CBs I picked up at random out of the AP or because I noticed I didn't have enough. 

I do have a lot of cool codes that remain unnamed, but I don't count them as 'unnamed' dragons in my head - to me, they have named themselves!  So they're prenamed, not unnamed.  :)