monoply12345

Anyone Remember The Old Days

I remember that awful time when hatching times were a random time between 3 and 4 days left. Awful for planning. *shudders*

Or when we couldn't pick up any eggs if we had 4 or more hatchlings and nothing else growing on our scrolls.

Or that very short period of time when pumpkins were their own breeding group. (They were added to the pygmy breeding group a while after their release.)

I also remember a time when we had only three dimorphic sprites - them being Pinks, Water Horses and Silvers. A time when Purples were a female-only breed, as were Bright Pinks (now called Arias).

What about when we wanted to trade and had to do so when the person who wanted our egg had to be online as we had to drop eggs to them via their links and worry about someone else snatching them from the AP before they got to their intended destination?? There was no TELEPORT back then!

For those who don't know when that was before, Teleport appeared in 2011. I've been here since 2008... there were a lot of trade fails from that old method of trading!

Edited by EragonSaphiraRider

God yes - I think I already mentioned sitting in a room with a friend and counting down to the NOW moment !

Oh I remember trading the old way!! So nerve wracking!

I remember only female bright pinks, and the “retirement” of frills, and that weird time when blacks were rare.....

I remember the time when alt blacks had a different egg sprite than regular blacks. For that matter, the black egg sprite didn't always used to have a green aura. XD

(Edit: Also the time when we couldn't retain a logged-in session from two different IPs, though that's a much more recent change. I'm very happy I can now switch between my work location and home location without having to constantly log in again. ❤️ Though at the moment, with home office, it's moot.)

Edited by pinkgothic

I haven't been around as long as a lot of you, but I have been here since early 2012. My first Christmas here was the one right before the 2 holiday limit was removed and I *agonized* over which lineages to keep. I also worked my butt off to catch a holly that year. They'd already made a little bit of a comeback, but I was so proud of myself when I managed to catch two clean ones. There were, at the time, only seven kinds of pygmies (there are now 16), three kinds of drakes (now 11), and one kind of two-headed dragon (now 10). There were only three hybrids (geode, bluna, and shallow water), and geodes could only breed more geodes if you bred them with a green, a stone, or another geode. Any other mate and you'd get the mate's breed, so people used them to get easy golds and silvers. Breeding has so many fewer restrictions now.

I can't believe only one person has brought up the Great Black Drought of 2011-and-before, when Blacks were so overpopulated from alt breeding that they were quite impossible to catch from the cave, could easily produce rares when bred, and CBs traded 1:1 or even 1:2 for CB Golds.

Edited by Keileon

On 3/12/2020 at 10:49 AM, olympe said:

I remember that awful time when hatching times were a random time between 3 and 4 days left. Awful for planning. *shudders*

Or when we couldn't pick up any eggs if we had 4 or more hatchlings and nothing else growing on our scrolls.

Or that very short period of time when pumpkins were their own breeding group. (They were added to the pygmy breeding group a while after their release.)

I also remember a time when we had only three dimorphic sprites - them being Pinks, Water Horses and Silvers. A time when Purples were a female-only breed, as were Bright Pinks (now called Arias).

And, if an egg was on the high side (closer to 4 days) it seems the hatchies also grew up on the high side.  So it could take anywhere from 6-8 days for a dragon to grow up. Mine were always on the high side, with rare exception.

I also remember that before the 3-4 days it was done in decimals.  This egg will die it if does not hatch in 3.12 days or 4.24 days or whatever. I had a sticky note stuck to the comp with all of them in minutes so I didn't have to think about it.

Edited by Imzadi

1 hour ago, Keileon said:

I can't believe only one person has brought up the Great Black Drought of 2011-and-before, when Blacks were so overpopulated from alt breeding that they were quite impossible to catch from the cave, could easily produce rares when bred, and CBs traded 1:1 or even 1:2 for CB Golds.

I remember that. I have blacks with names like "Miracle..." :lol: 

I also remember the fun "not that hard to get golds" time. And Black Marrow Hallowe'en. :o 

6 hours ago, Imzadi said:

And, if an egg was on the high side (closer to 4 days) it seems the hatchies also grew up on the high side.  So it could take anywhere from 6-8 days for a dragon to grow up. Mine were always on the high side, with rare exception.

I also remember that before the 3-4 days it was done in decimals.  This egg will die it if does not hatch in 3.12 days or 4.24 days or whatever. I had a sticky note stuck to the comp with all of them in minutes so I didn't have to think about it.

Vines were slso quite hard to get, and for the same reason - although I think tjey weren't quite as bad as blacks. I also remember that it was possible to tell whether an egg would alt by using tje incubator...

I do recall, when CB prizes were very limited, that people asked for olives for their offspring? Was there a reason for this? I used to be very on and off back then, coming back I was always so confused by it XD 

Olives were 2017's Holly Contest collection breed, maybe that's why?

Anyone remembers the time when Vampires got released on 2008 Halloween? The chaos when some people's rares died mysteriously, people speculated the new vampire hatchlings had something to do with it, reason being the news post's image that was written in Saurian and scroll paper was partially burnt. Back then some people abandoned their vampires into AP so their more valuable hatchlings and eggs would remain safe just in case.

On 1/29/2020 at 4:02 AM, Aleoleo said:

Remember when FROZEN S1 still reached S2 if they had too many views? I sure do... (and don't miss it one bit)

Or how we couldn't rename -- and had to stare at that cringe-worthy typo of a name for aaall eternity. :wacko:

I'm really glad we CAN rename now because I came back after a long hiatus to find one of my dragons was, for whatever reason, named something racist?! I have NO idea why I would do that and I changed it immediately

I'm also really glad to see that a trading system has been implemented!

Edited by Kayota

Lol it's been YEARS since the Black disparity and I still jump to click on every CB Black I see

Back in the day it was oh-so-hard to freeze a stage 1 hatchie! You'd freeze them and they'd suddenly sprout wings and move on to stage 2.

Like this child - https://dragcave.net/view/QqOY

Damn yes, I remember that too. I have SO many S1s that shouldn't have been. The killer was a zombie - a weird one; the sprite showed on my scroll as an S1 but when you went to the page, it said it was female. TJ (or something) fixed that as it happened around the time he changed things.

I remember a time before the click sites, where the only way to gain views was to put them in your signature on other forums and post often to make them hatch/grow. You couldn't on this forum, but I did on others. I wonder how many of mine accidentally died because I went inactive frequently. 😕

literally the day before the fertility bsa came out, two irreplaceable dragons refused each other. i still get nervous when breeding a new pair, but it doesn't hold anywhere near the level of pre-fertility anxiety!

I'm actually here since 2013 & I had many hiatus-periods over the years. I came back just from a hiatus of 2 years-ish.

I remember the time when there was no market and therefore no way of getting a Paper/Cheese Dragon unless you have incredibily luck by grabbing one in the cave.

Also that certain rare dragons like Aeon Wyvers & Xenowyrms didn't exit. And that you couldn't get CB holiday dragons if you missed the event they were released in.

I remember when you could view the eggs in the cave before they were acquired so you could see if one was an alt or not. Seems like now if you try to view an egg that’s still in the cave you get a message saying the egg can’t be found.

I'm an Old and I remember a lot of this stuff. I was an early advocate for Teleport, lol. I think most of the changes over the years have been for the best, although...

10 hours ago, AmaNoGawa said:

I remember when you could view the eggs in the cave before they were acquired so you could see if one was an alt or not. Seems like now if you try to view an egg that’s still in the cave you get a message saying the egg can’t be found.

I do miss this.

But you couldn't tell if they were alts now, as the eggs are identical.