_DeadPool_

Consolation Shards and Market Improvements

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

As always, I agree 1000% with purplehaze and Heather Marie. Not least about the "we keep asking for more" stuff. In the days that there were - 60, wasn't it - once a YEAR,. no-one was worried about consolation prizes. But it seems to be that when TJ gives us an inch, instead of being delighted, in no time flat we DEMAND several miles. I have gone right off supporting ANY kind of "lesser prizes" now - not that I was a fan in the first place.

So, because things used to be less available and the site has been improved upon since then...we should stop looking to improve player experience?

2 minutes ago, _DeadPool_ said:

now THIS sounds like entitlement. "I didn't get exactly what I want, so I want NOTHING and I want others to have no possibility of something else either!"

IRL raffles and lottos generally have several prize tiers. If we're going to liken the DC raffle to an IRL lotto, then a secondary or tertiary prize isn't outside the realm of possibility, with the CB prize being a "grand prize".

we actually DO have tiers: gold, silver, bronze.  Only a third as many gold prizes as bronzes are given out. 

1 minute ago, DragonLady86 said:

we actually DO have tiers: gold, silver, bronze.  Only a third as many gold prizes as bronzes are given out. 

but if we're using an irl lottery metaphor...honestly all CB prizes would be Grand Prize status. I can't think of a reason they wouldn't be.

3 minutes ago, _DeadPool_ said:

now THIS sounds like entitlement. "I didn't get exactly what I want, so I want NOTHING and I want others to have no possibility of something else either!"

IRL raffles and lottos generally have several prize tiers. If we're going to liken the DC raffle to an IRL lotto, then a secondary or tertiary prize isn't outside the realm of possibility, with the CB prize being a "grand prize".

Well, excuse me for expressing an opinion! You said it would lessen the disappointment. I said it wouldn't lessen mine. How is that entitlement?

but if we're using an irl lottery metaphor...honestly all CB prizes would be Grand Prize status. I can't think of a reason they wouldn't be.

Amazingly most "irl lotteries" I'm familiar with give out exactly ONE prize. 

Edited by DragonLady86

2 hours ago, _DeadPool_ said:

So, because things used to be less available and the site has been improved upon since then...we should stop looking to improve player experience?

Of course not. But by trying to turn a LOTTERY into something like a lucky dip where everyone gets a prize - I don't see that as an improvement.

2 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Indeed we do. Just as the UK National Lottery has one huge prize and a number of smaller ones (your chance of the grand prize  is still one in 45 million though... and of ANY prize at all, one in 10.) NOT a prize for everyone..

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Well, excuse me for expressing an opinion! You said it would lessen the disappointment. I said it wouldn't lessen mine. How is that entitlement?

Quite. It wouldn't lessen mine either - but I still want the thing to keep running - so how is that 

I want it to keep running. I want some people to win prizes. Just not EVERYONE EVERY TIME. (And I have won once, recently, having entered almost every single time since it was invented, and it wasn't what I wanted in terms of the prize I got - but so what. It's a lottery.)

2 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Indeed. And this is a LOTTERY. not a grab bag.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Yeah, I don't see a point in a consolation prize. We already have 3 tiers of winning the the raffle with Gold Silver and Bronze - in a way that's two forms of a consolation prize anyway for not winning first place XD  Honestly, to me it feels strange to want a prize just for taking part? The point of the raffle is that the entry requirements are easy - often able to get just through normal playing of the site. If the entry requirements were super difficult, and completing them is a feat, then sure enough I could understand wanting something for going to those lengths. But wanting a consolation prize just because you raised a few dragons? The prize for meeting those requirements is being able to enter the raffle in the first place. So yeah, sorry, I can't really get behind this. 

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare

But the raffles already DO have prize tiers!

I don't know the numbers, but there are so many golds won, then silvers and last bronzes

eta: whoops all the comments didn't load, ignore me! Lol

Edited by Uther_Pendragon

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

NME - needs repeating !

So say I!

Not to point any finger, or intend to offend anyone, but back in the day someone would have brought up the words, "sore loser" by now.    Just saying...

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Of course not. But by trying to turn a LOTTERY into something like a lucky dip where everyone gets a prize - I don't see that as an improvement.

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Indeed we do. Just as the UK National Lottery has one huge prize and a number of smaller ones (your chance of the grand prize  is still one in 45 million though... and of ANY prize at all, one in 10.) NOT a prize for everyone.

7 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Honestly, to me it feels strange to want a prize just for taking part?

If you've been reading, you'll notice I agreed that something for everyone  isnt the best solution. I then amended, to say that IMO a smaller prize would be a good idea. Even if it was just...1:30 or 1:50 odds...I'd like the possibility of winning every once in awhile.

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

NME - needs repeating !

Not 100% sure what this means - but if it means what I think it does, that's a nasty, rude thing to say and is entirely uncalled for.

14 hours ago, _DeadPool_ said:

Not 100% sure what this means - but if it means what I think it does, that's a nasty, rude thing to say and is entirely uncalled for.

It means don't worry about having repeated something.

In response to

eta: whoops all the comments didn't load, ignore me! Lol

OH - came back today to see why it would have bothered you. Where I come from it stands for Never Mind Eh. I gather it can be used for Enemy. NOT what I meant at all. Uther is someone whose posts I enjoy, and I was agreeing.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

@_DeadPool_ could you update the OP with some of your amendments to the suggestion or other suggestions that other users are bringing up? We're heading into four pages now and it's hard to follow what has and has not been changed regarding this suggestion.

52 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

@_DeadPool_ could you update the OP with some of your amendments to the suggestion or other suggestions that other users are bringing up? We're heading into four pages now and it's hard to follow what has and has not been changed regarding this suggestion.

Yeah, I'd like to take a look but I'm not willing to go through all of this right now and I'm already slightly confused lol
I will say I think name changes, if granted at all, should have a much higher shard cost

edit; and while there are certainly some codes I would kill to own, I wouldn't like to see it implemented, unless at an extremely high cost (8k+ shards?)

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

On 1/14/2020 at 5:27 AM, DragonLady86 said:

Incorrect. I myself have won one of the Lowe tier lottos here in the US. Bout 600$. Wasent much but it was a win!

True - but they don't give out a LOT, and certainly not to everyone.

9 hours ago, Dragonessdown said:

Incorrect. I myself have won one of the Lowe tier lottos here in the US. Bout 600$. Wasent much but it was a win!

Good for you. I said MOST not all.

Please be respectful in your comments to each other. Calling each other "entitled" for their opinions, and throwing that word around in general, tends to cause more problems than it solves. 

I was just thinking..

In the Forum Games section, I've seen a thread that is a gift exchange. It's like a Secret Santa that happens weekly.

OP, if it's disheartening to see the 'Sorry you didn't win' raffle message, could you maybe start a thread (or participate in the current gifting thread) as a counter to the disappointment? 
It could be the Fail Cookies raffle, or something, that we raffle losers could join in and if everyone put something in, everyone would get something  in return.

Main topic has been updated. Sorry it took so long - I just restarted school for the semester so my time is kind of monopolized.

On 1/19/2020 at 11:46 AM, Uther_Pendragon said:

I was just thinking..

In the Forum Games section, I've seen a thread that is a gift exchange. It's like a Secret Santa that happens weekly.

OP, if it's disheartening to see the 'Sorry you didn't win' raffle message, could you maybe start a thread (or participate in the current gifting thread) as a counter to the disappointment? 
It could be the Fail Cookies raffle, or something, that we raffle losers could join in and if everyone put something in, everyone would get something  in return.

heh, as you can see here, I barely have time to be in/run this thread...much less one where I have to run a raffle.

Would y'all be more in favor of a separate raffle that has lower rewards, e.g. a common egg raffle or something? I just prefer automatically run raffles to having to check forum posts and pms to see if I won something...it's much easier to go to one site than two for me.

On 1/10/2020 at 7:01 PM, _DeadPool_ said:

1: scroll name change, with high cost and a cooldown

• Maybe 8k shards, which would already have an inherent cooldown because of the shard limit.
  • This option could be limited to ONE TIME per scroll if need be.

I'm pretty neutral on most of the suggestion (well, I won't stop saying how toxic raffles are to the game, but that's been mentioned many times in the past), but I think it's a bit excessive to have scroll name changes locked behind a large amount of shards. It should just be a settings option with a cooldown period, something that's been long overdue.

2 hours ago, KrazyKarp said:

I'm pretty neutral on most of the suggestion (well, I won't stop saying how toxic raffles are to the game, but that's been mentioned many times in the past), but I think it's a bit excessive to have scroll name changes locked behind a large amount of shards. It should just be a settings option with a cooldown period, something that's been long overdue.

Totally agree about the scroll name changes. Nothing that could be part of scroll settings should be locked behind shards. (I don't love the raffle in general, either.)

To be honest, getting some more shards (and therefore getting closer to being able to buy the metals I can never catch) seems nice? Since the raffle is running anyway, and most of us will never win it, at least more people could get something.