_DeadPool_

Consolation Shards and Market Improvements

11 hours ago, Jazeki said:

3. Codes are limited. Someone might also (and does, at least for me) have the code you want. Can't buy what's not available.

Well, at least the one I want is still available. There is no living or dead creature attached to it.

Honestly, I don't care HOW I get it, I just want it. This is just yet another suggestion that contains a code purchase option so I support it.

7 hours ago, _DeadPool_ said:

This sounds a bit...rude and attack-y imo. I don't understand why this suggestion seems to push your buttons so much.

BECAUSE:

6 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Except I'm not missing anything for not winning every month. I entered because I played the game.

and also:

6 hours ago, Stromboli said:

I'd rather shards be a prize tier. Like, a kinda common one, so most people who play the lottery regularly would have a good chance to get that little bonus a time or two a year, but not something that's given every month to every person who enters. 'Cause when it's something everyone gets every month, it'd need to be small, and then it just becomes, like, expected. It doesn't seem like winning anything if you know you're gonna get it for entering.

So This thing - "ahhhh never mind have a candy instead" means NOTHING. But given how many people play, it would inevitably skew ratios, especially if we had a choice of egg - however common.

1 hour ago, Infinis said:

I would like to see scrollname changes as a standalone feature not tied to the market; like once every six months, or once a year, or just plain once period, for anyone who regrets that cringey scroll name they made when they were 15 or whoever just wants to change to something like/feels fits them better.

I guess I'm not really opposed to consolation prizes but at the same time I don't really think there's a need for it. The requirements for entry have never been particularly difficult to meet, so I don't really feel there's a lot to reward.

All this. But if scroll names can be changed there MUST be a way to track a player's name history.

10 hours ago, _DeadPool_ said:

1. I don't use the market right now because for one, the eggs I generally want are 200 shards, not 100 and I want to make sure I have enough to buy something later. it's just a mentality I have. But just because some people don't use shards doesn't mean others shouldn't get some as a reward for participating in the raffle or whatever. but if you don't like that, the consolation could always be a 100-200 shard common egg.

2. Again, just because you don't want something doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option. and youre not FORCED to choose. it's a CHOICE. if you want to change your username, you do, and then you save up more shards to get the egg you want. or vice versa.

3. This also applies to random codes spawning? I don't really see the point of this argument.

4. Again, the egg chosen as prize would be a common or at least below 500 shards. And it's not like you can trade them, so they wouldn't go right up on the hub or anything. This would actually also help with common ratios and breeding (which MIGHT reduce the need for walling/massbreeding for breeding ratios).

Everyone,  in my posts, I'm not providing an argument. I'm stating my reasons why I don't like this suggestion.

1.  No amount of shards is going to make me want shards instead of a prize. 

2. Infinis said it best. Name changing shouldn't be tied to the market at all. Your username is not an actual gameplay feature.

3. If it can't be used by every winner at any given time, it's not a very good prize.

4. If I don't want shards, there's no way I will want a random common dragon instead when people are out here winning prizes. Also, getting a random egg takes away from gameplay. Why should I put in any effort, if I know I'm getting a free dragon either way?

If you all feel like this is a good compromise and want this, more power to you. I won't be upset if it's implemented. I just don't feel any of these do anything to quell the desire for an actual prize dragon. 

3 hours ago, Jazeki said:

I just don't feel any of these do anything to quell the desire for an actual prize dragon. 

Quite so. Very well said.

Im not trying to quell the desire for a prize dragon...im trying to make losing less...discouraging.

And someone suggested "dont enter if it's discouraging - then you dont have to worry about the anticipation"...this isnt really a solution...nor does it make sense. Give up on the chance for something nice because its not fun to lose? Uhhh...no? this kind of sounds to me like a "just don't feel that way or don't participate" solution. which isn't helpful.

Edited by _DeadPool_

But that's the way with every contest/lottery. You win or you lose. You don't expect a consolation prize every time you lose. Just as you don't expect to receive a consolation prize because someone else clicked that gold egg faster than you did. Or for a failed summon.

It's never fun to lose - but you get to play the game; that's the big thing here.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But that's the way with every contest/lottery. You win or you lose. You don't expect a consolation prize every time you lose. Just as you don't expect to receive a consolation prize because someone else clicked that gold egg faster than you did. Or for a failed summon.

It's never fun to lose - but you get to play the game; that's the big thing here.

But saying "get over it and don't complain, or don't participate" isn't constructive to the discussion here. This thread was created to discuss any possible solutions/ways to help with this discouragement that many people may feel about the lottery. for example, I think that a lesser prize that is given out more often/to more people would be a fine solution if some object to everyone getting a consolation. But "don't feel that way because that's how it is" isn't a solution - nor is it a helpful sentiment or a real objection.

It is a valid objection to say - as I do - that the idea of giving a consolation prize - however small - to everyone who enters and fails to win almost negates the concept of a lottery/raffle. You enter, you win or you don't. A few more prizes - fair enough, I guess - but something for everyone - absolutely not.

My gods the passive agressive responses!

I think a  100 share random prize wouldent be bad, maybe also a 200. Not as a consolation prize. Using fuzzbuttits lotto metaphor, it's the difference in a prize pool.

Full support to the name changing tied to shards!

The codes are a hard no from me. I would love to see them come back in HM status from the raffle, but buying them seems excessive. As much as I WANT special codes it would possibly damage the game to do so.

passive-aggressive

adjective

1. of or denoting a type of behaviour or personality characterized by indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of direct confrontation.

I don't see passive aggression here. I for one am absolutely not avoiding direct confrontation. I profoundly disagree with the suggestion of everyone getting a consolation prize, and I shall continue to say so. I am not resisting indirectly; I am totally direct about it. Who exactly do you see as passive=-aggressive ?

1 hour ago, _DeadPool_ said:

Im not trying to quell the desire for a prize dragon...im trying to make losing less...discouraging.

A consolation prize should be somewhat related to the prize.

For example: fair games. Let's say I shot the balloon for a big stuffed animal. I didn't get it. My consolation prize would be a tiny stuffed animal for trying--not a funnel cake from the food cart.

None of these suggested prizes stop me from feeling bad that I did not get a prize dragon. I mean, it'd be great to have the warm fluffy feeling of winning, but it's not what I'm entering for.

26 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't see passive aggression here. I for one am absolutely not avoiding direct confrontation. I profoundly disagree with the suggestion of everyone getting a consolation prize, and I shall continue to say so. I am not resisting indirectly; I am totally direct about it. Who exactly do you see as passive=-aggressive ?

Now now, pointing that out in a open forum is harassment. Nice try buddy.

25 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

A consolation prize should be somewhat related to the prize.

For example: fair games. Let's say I shot the balloon for a big stuffed animal. I didn't get it. My consolation prize would be a tiny stuffed animal for trying--not a funnel cake from the food cart.

None of these suggested prizes stop me from feeling bad that I did not get a prize dragon. I mean, it'd be great to have the warm fluffy feeling of winning, but it's not what I'm entering for.

That's why I mentioned the shards as a separate prize of its own, rather than a hand out. Instead of getting the giant stuffed dragon you get a cheap little rose. Sucks? Absolutely but it's more of a chance to get somthing out of the raffle. 

5 minutes ago, Dragonessdown said:

That's why I mentioned the shards as a separate prize of its own, rather than a hand out. Instead of getting the giant stuffed dragon you get a cheap little rose. Sucks? Absolutely but it's more of a chance to get somthing out of the raffle. 

I wasn't really replying to you, but sure, if you think it works, that's fine. If this were a different raffle for just shards, I'd be more on board. But to me, the shards are the funnel cake and not the stuffed animal. They're irrelevant to each other outside of a brief moment of happiness and I'm given something I can just get already without entering the raffle in the first place. 

Eh, I see the raffle and the market as elements of the same game. It's all part of the cave. So it does not seem strange or irrelevant that shards could be offered as a prize tier of the raffle along with the six Prize Dragon tiers.

Just now, Stromboli said:

Eh, I see the raffle and the market as elements of the same game. It's all part of the cave. So it does not seem strange or irrelevant that shards could be offered as a prize tier of the raffle along with the six Prize Dragon tiers.

Maybe I'm just spoiled. *Shrug* It seems like a step down from offering HM dragons in the past to now just offering shards or codes or other non-dragon options when all I want is a prize dragon. 

1 hour ago, Dragonessdown said:

The codes are a hard no from me. I would love to see them come back in HM status from the raffle, but buying them seems excessive. As much as I WANT special codes it would possibly damage the game to do so.

Even if it was a very limited action? Say, once per year or just one time opportunity and never again?

Or would be nice to see it added as another prize tier to the raffle. So users could win the normal Tinsel and Shimmer or a custom-coded common dragon

Edited by LaHaine

48 minutes ago, Dragonessdown said:

Now now, pointing that out in a open forum is harassment. Nice try buddy.

Excuse me, but accusing members of passive aggression is harassment.

8 minutes ago, LaHaine said:

Even if it was a very limited action? Say, once per year or just one time opportunity and never again?

-snip-

But then you'd still have most of the year when you got nothing. And then would people say it's too disappointing and want something more?

I do understand the feeling of not winning; it's a let down. I haven't been here as long as many, but long enough, and haven't won anything, BUT I still look at the raffles as I have a chance. One day I'll be lucky, too. (C'mon silver tinsel!)

I love that they've become monthly instead of once a year. That's an incredible change! 
   We've already pushed for upping the amount of prizes given out monthly, and now there's asking for shards or a market egg, but then what? 

13 minutes ago, Uther_Pendragon said:

But then you'd still have most of the year when you got nothing. And then would people say it's too disappointing and want something more?

I mean adding the possbility to buy a custom code to the market, not because of the raffle but as a market improvement. It could be a one-time thing or a once-per-year purchase. I'd rather have that option, even if it was very expensive and limited, than not having it at all.

But if people think it would be game breaking, then I wouldn't be opposed to adding that option as another tier in the raffle. Just so that option still exists somehow. 

34 minutes ago, LaHaine said:

Or would be nice to see it added as another prize tier to the raffle. So users could win the normal Tinsel and Shimmer or a custom-coded common dragon

That is more what i was aiming for rather than shards to select codes. Using shards is broken.

18 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Excuse me, but accusing members of passive aggression is harassment.

No, I said some responses leaned to passive agressive. I never pointed a finger. Have you been accepted into the staff team in my absence? I admit I have been inactive quite a while.

Oh LaHaine! I misread, I apologize! Sure I'd possibly be on board for custom code to cost shards, but I thought TJ had said no more codes after the very last Christmas raffle? (I mean, I suppose he could change his mind, which would be great unless someone gets the code I want, lol)

I'm another who hoards their shards because I can't stand either getting the very lowest price of an extreme rare, or the fear of something super expensive will get added and I'll be mad that I bought something, lol. I'm a mess!

3 hours ago, _DeadPool_ said:

And to me it would not make it any less discouraging. I want to win a CB Prize, not some lesser "consolation". End of story. I would feel no better about not winning a Prize if I were handed a handful of shards or a common dragon instead. That is NOT what I am entering the raffle for! Maybe, just maybe, if you handed me a CB Gold instead it would make me feel a tiny bit less disappointed, but that's not going to happen!

Edited by purplehaze

9 hours ago, Uther_Pendragon said:

I do understand the feeling of not winning; it's a let down. I haven't been here as long as many, but long enough, and haven't won anything, BUT I still look at the raffles as I have a chance. One day I'll be lucky, too. (C'mon silver tinsel!)

I love that they've become monthly instead of once a year. That's an incredible change! 
   We've already pushed for upping the amount of prizes given out monthly, and now there's asking for shards or a market egg, but then what? 

(bolding for emphasis) I really agree with this. As much as I dislike the raffle in general, we-the-users have asked for and gotten an awful lot in this area.... Raffles every month instead of once a year, then an *increase* in winners based on how many people enter, and you can totally lump in the Market in the general category of 'a new way to get stuff we couldn't before'. Now people want prizes for *not* winning the raffle. So, what if we get that? What if we get 100 shards if we lose the raffle? I can see it now: '100 shards is only one week's worth, the raffle is once a month, so we should get 4 week's worth!' or whatever. People aren't just going to be satisfied with getting a handful of shards if they keep losing over and over and over, it's really not a comparable thing. 

8 hours ago, purplehaze said:

And to me it would not make it any less discouraging. I want to win a CB Prize, not some lesser "consolation". End of story. I would feel no better about not winning a Prize if I were handed a handful of shards or a common dragon instead. That is NOT what I am entering the raffle for! Maybe, just maybe, if you handed me a CB Gold instead it would make me feel a tiny bit less disappointed, but that's not going to happen!

And this is *exactly* what I said in the *last* thread about this. I enter the raffle for one reason and one reason only: To win a Prize dragon. That's what I want from the raffle. That's *all* I want from the raffle. I do not want shards or a common dragon that I could easily grab in the cave myself. That's not why I enter. That's not going to make me feel better about losing. 

As always, I agree 1000% with purplehaze and Heather Marie. Not least about the "we keep asking for more" stuff. In the days that there were - 60, wasn't it - once a YEAR,. no-one was worried about consolation prizes. But it seems to be that when TJ gives us an inch, instead of being delighted, in no time flat we DEMAND several miles. I have gone right off supporting ANY kind of "lesser prizes" now - not that I was a fan in the first place.

12 hours ago, purplehaze said:

now THIS sounds like entitlement. "I didn't get exactly what I want, so I want NOTHING and I want others to have no possibility of something else either!"

IRL raffles and lottos generally have several prize tiers. If we're going to liken the DC raffle to an IRL lotto, then a secondary or tertiary prize isn't outside the realm of possibility, with the CB prize being a "grand prize".