wobster109

Fix Rainbow Sort

I rainbow sort my dragons by hand, manually moving each individual dragon into place, and this is a little cumbersome. I don't use the site's Rainbow Sort because it does a couple things that don't look quite right. For example, the yellow-crowned appearing in the greens:

green.thumb.PNG.9005bc9c415796086c2a7ca38be9a254.PNG

Blue, black, and gold in between two browns:

browns.thumb.PNG.cfbcf329b839267980c7ed42638487e4.PNG

Other examples include black stripes appearing with the purples, and black and yellow species getting mixed together in general. My guess is, the sorting is happening automatically? Maybe the site averages the color of all the pixels? I think that's what's happening based on the yellow and blue "averaging" to form green.

I propose that each unique sprite be assigned a "representative color". For example, with the yellow-crowned, I consider them to be primarily blue. I could see them sorting either with blue or with yellow, but they really stick out among the greens. Then, they are sorted based on the representative color, rather than the average of all the pixels. (I volunteer to personally assign a representative color to each sprite.)

• Dragons with multiple forms (aeon, aegis, celestial, spirit ward, nocturne, zombie) will have a color assigned to each sprite, and will be sorted based on the sprite being shown at the time.

Another option is to let users make a custom sort based on sprites? That way each sprite only needs to be sorted once, instead of each individual dragon. Future dragons would auto-sort into place.

Thanks for reading!

4 minutes ago, wobster109 said:

My guess is, the sorting is happening automatically? Maybe the site averages the color of all the pixels? I think that's what's happening based on the yellow and blue "averaging" to form green.

I believe that TJ confirmed this once when someone was questioning the way things sorted in rainbow.

I agree that it results in some pretty odd positioning. I have never attempted rainbow sort because I prefer my own custom sort (a very modified breed sort), but I can see how it would be nice to have it fixed for those who do want to use it.

Why was this moved to help? I don’t need help using the existing feature. I’m proposing a specific change: for the automatic sort to be based on a manually-assigned color, instead of pixel average.

10 hours ago, wobster109 said:

Why was this moved to help? I don’t need help using the existing feature. I’m proposing a specific change: for the automatic sort to be based on a manually-assigned color, instead of pixel average.

Help is also for 'bug report' threads. Rainbow sort not sorting 'rainbow-like' probably qualifies more as a bug, something unintended, that needs to be fixed. Not a suggestion for a new or different feature.