wobster109

Dragon Name Scroll Search

I’m having old scroll problems. I have dragons that are several years old, lots of names that I only partially remember, and 30-odd pages to my scroll (on a PC, and it’s 70 pages when I use my phone). Sometimes when I’m looking for a specific dragon, such as a mate for holiday breeding, I’ll think, “Didn’t I have a dragon that fits? Named Lucy or something.”

Of course, she isn’t named just plain Lucy, it’s actually Sparkling Lucie MoonFyre or something, and I’ve forgotten the words that come before or after.

Would it be possible to have a scroll search where I can type in “luc”, and any name that includes it gets pulled up? That would be super nice. What I’m doing now is going into grid sort and doing ctrl+F.

The other thing I’d want it for is when I’m breeding dragons from a specific lineage project with a project name. If the project has multiple breeds, then the dragons are scattered across my scroll. Searching for the project name would pull them all up at once. I’d love that.

Support. I have 14 pages of dragons on my scroll, with each page showing 500 dragons, and I often lose track on exactly what page I should jump to find a certain breed of dragons, and the dragon I want from that specific group. I would absolutely love a search function on my scroll.

If you go to a group and  "add to group" and type in something like luc, exactly that happens.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I do what fuzz said, basically, I go to one of my smallest groups (that I know doesn't contain the wanted dragon) and go to the 'add dragons' page, and typing in a few letters of the half-remembered name will filter to show anything with that in the name. It's not a great work around though, since you can't directly get to the dragon's page from there, and it is a rather long process to go through (especially if you have a large scroll and it takes forever for the 'add dragons' list to actually load). 

Also, this sort of thing has been requested a *lot* over the years. Some similar threads:

https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/184549-filter-based-breeding-page

https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/181966-text-field-search-in-lair

https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/182999-search-facility (multiple threads linked in 2nd post of this one)

I know there are work-arounds but I agree that having a search function of some sort on the scroll would be a really nice feature. Groups help some, if you remember to put your dragons in the group/s you want them in, but they are not the solution to everything.

10 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I know there are work-arounds but I agree that having a search function of some sort on the scroll would be a really nice feature. Groups help some, if you remember to put your dragons in the group/s you want them in, but they are not the solution to everything.

Definitely agree! Having a straight-up search function would be the best solution imo

16 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If you go to a group and  "add to group" and type in something like luc, exactly that happens.

I have two other ways to work around the issue:

1. Fertility. Has the same search option as the "add to group" menu. ;) 
  2. Attempt to breed the dragon whose mate you're looking for. This way, all potential mates that are off-cooldown are shown. On a PC, it's a simple matter of hitting CTRL+F from here on.

Yes please! A proper search function would be awesome, no matter how many workarounds exist.

I think all listed workarounds have downsides and aren't exactly the best way to get to what you want. I mean, with every workaround it would still be much simpler to simply be able to search your scroll, on your scroll. 

1. Going to 'add dragons' in a group (downsides, can't directly get to the dragon's page and/or breeding from there, possible long loading time)

2. Searching through the 'Fertility' page (pretty much same downsides as 1)

3. Going to breeding page to search for mate (only works if both dragons are off cooldown, only addresses searching for breeding purposes)

4. Making Groups..... (Long and tedious process if you have many projects and/or many dragons, still much more involved and many more clicks than a simple search function)

I support this. I would very much like to be able to search my dragons by name. 

dragcave.net/view/n/putitsnamehere will find one by its name, and one of the dropdowns sorts by name.

ETA Just tested that - it was MOST exciting !

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Yea but it’s possible you forgot the name but you remember it resembles like something! I agree this would be useful as well!

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

dragcave.net/view/n/putitsnamehere will find one by its name, and one of the dropdowns sorts by name.

ETA Just tested that - it was MOST exciting !

Neither of which is helpful unless you remember the exact name. And the dropdown sort by name involves a lot of scrolling if you have a large scroll.

17 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Neither of which is helpful unless you remember the exact name. And the dropdown sort by name involves a lot of scrolling if you have a large scroll.

This. I've had this issue more than a few times, and yeah *none* of the workarounds in this thread really address the whole issue. The /n/name url doesn't address the OP's issue at all since they specified not knowing the exact name. Dropdown sort by name also has that exact same problem, with the added problem of having to go through your scroll page by page to find where a specific starting-letter might be, and then scrolling through the whole page to find where the specific name is (IF you know exactly what it starts with). 

Instead of trying to find difficult and time-consuming workarounds that don't actually work the way people need anyways, why not just have a simple scroll-search? 

Seconding this. Also, it would be convenient if filter was expanded. I have  "cool codes" group, but if I need to name somebody showing unnamed hatchlings/adults also brings up my "coded" dragons. It is a bit tedious to look through the whole list and find the one unnamed. And I even don't have that many dragons. I'd wish there would be filter excluding certain groups of dragons and something like that.

I posted this back in November 2017 - requesting a search feature so that if we type in a dragon's breed it will automatically jump us to their location on our scroll.  Nothing came out of it, though.