49ER

Raising Limits on CB Holidays

Adding 2 a year is NOT going to happen. TJ has said multiple times "it's too much math" and he'd rather just go straight to unlimited. 

4 for year 1 and unlimited starting year 2 would be fairly easy.

Alright, I can see how that'd be difficult. I didn't want them to go straight to unlimited, but I'll conceed that a slow roll-out as I described isn't feasible. 

I'm on the fence about whether I support opening them up all at once or not, so I'll probably sit out of the conversation until I make up my mind.

On 9/4/2020 at 5:26 PM, Keileon said:

4 for year 1 and unlimited starting year 2 would be fairly easy.

Basically this. Or keep it at 2 the first year and unlimited the following year. Keeps it so everybody can readily get the new eggs on initial release, but opens things up to mitigate the ever-growing holiday walls by opening up CBs to adoption by a larger slice of the playerbase in subsequent years.

I've been staying away from these cb-holiday topics for awhile just because I've always felt the limits were just fine, but now I think I kinda support? Mostly because there are sooo many holiday breeds at this point, which means in general there is a lot more that can be done with holiday lineages, and for that the ability to have more CBs would be a positive thing. I do agree that new releases should be limited the first year to make it easier for more people to get some that first year. 

Or... we could use the market for extra holiday eggs. Once you've reached your official limit, you can still buy them in the market for a low price.

Pro: 

- Accessible for everyone

- No additional competition in the holiday biome

Con:

- Shards.

This can also be adapted to a limit of 2/year. Just make the trader offer a "special trade" of holiday eggs and suddenly be "out of stock" once you've bought 2. Stock gets replenished in the next year. (But only to the yearly maximum.)

On 8/31/2020 at 11:16 PM, ShorahNagi said:

I like this idea - allow players to pick up new CBs every year (could really help with clearing 'common' holiday blockers (like Snow Angels) but still with a limit in place to help spread the wealth. [It would only be that years release that would be restricted]

As for raising the limit to 4...I can get behind that for multiple reasons:

1. No need to wait a whole year if you do full sprite collecting (frozen s1, frozen s2, 1 or 2 adults)

2. Able to gift someone a pair (or gift 2 people a single egg) while still keeping a pair for yourself

3. Able to quicker work on lineages that need CBs

4 is not a full set.

Mine is 5 (pair(homosexual counts too, ahem, the chickens), 2xS2 and S1, and maybe egg someday if they are ever doable, which would make 6). Being forced to breed in checkers has always been a gamebreaker for me and NOT the way I want my scroll pattern to be... (still, Sinomorphs and GoNs are the absolute worst for it:/).
Others will need 8 for a higher gen checker base and others collect 10CBs per breed (some of those would go for 5 because of the gender weirdness).

Not to mention that for certain pairings the biomes of the mate DO matter, meaning one would need 6 CBs (1 per biome) just to get 1 mate per variant for certain breeds.
And sure there are people who are content with 2 or even 1. I'm just for allowing people to get whatever goal idea they decide on possible, even if it's to be achieved only after years of playing - JUST.POSSIBLE.

When it comes to "limited at all" options, I'm personally in favour of "2 growing CBs" limit the most; 2 per year would also work but (forgetting about TJ's stance on this) I hate needing 3 years each just to get such a simple set done (I've been having enough of that with the Undeads and a few others and can't wait to be finally done with them and to only have latest releases to complete left at last, after over 7 years of active playing... I can't imagine an alt-timeline me joining DC today at all) or to see some people need min. 4 years to get a proper checker base (and at least 5 to breed it), not to mention those who'd go for 10... (But still better than the current state of things)

Unlimited would still work best.

If it's limited for the first year and only then unlimited, the demand in the year 2. for each new breed will be just gangantuar. They would be disproportionally easier to catch in the initial release flood without any limits on, actually. We've already experienced that with the limits of 2!

So if you want things easier rather than harder, no limits from a start is definitely the way to go.

Edited by VixenDra

8 hours ago, olympe said:

Or... we could use the market for extra holiday eggs. Once you've reached your official limit, you can still buy them in the market for a low price.

Pro: 

- Accessible for everyone

- No additional competition in the holiday biome

Con:

- Shards.

This can also be adapted to a limit of 2/year. Just make the trader offer a "special trade" of holiday eggs and suddenly be "out of stock" once you've bought 2. Stock gets replenished in the next year. (But only to the yearly maximum.)

TJ's shot this down before under the premise that the Market should be used to supplement cave hunting, not replace it, and having extra holidays only in the Market gives an advantage to people who use the Market.

It's something I personally disagree with so I don't mind your suggestion, but I think we have a better chance of getting them in the biomes.

2 hours ago, Keileon said:

TJ's shot this down before under the premise that the Market should be used to supplement cave hunting, not replace it, and having extra holidays only in the Market gives an advantage to people who use the Market.

So what stops people from using the market? Shards are pretty much for free if you actually play, and with a low market price, you should be able to get your fill. Eventually, when we reach 26 different Winter Holiday of choice and Valentine breeds combined (which will be, uh, this Winter?), it won't be possible to get 2 of each and every holiday breed due to shard limits. Still, I highly prefer being able to choose your favorites instead of being screwed over by chance/bad luck when hunting/too little time for hunting during the holiday period.

Also a possibility I'd be in favor of is getting "tickets" for participating in a holiday event, which can then be exchanged either for CB holiday eggs or be worth 100 shards in the market during the holiday period.

Regarding the "shot down" argument, even the market idea itself has been shot down by users quite vocally a couple of years before the "Traders' Canyon" thread. I know this for a fact because I was the OP back then... Things got vicious really quickly.  And scroll limits above gold level have been originally shot down by TJ himself, too. Doesn't mean it can't happen, obviously.

I realize it doesn't mean it can't happen, I'm saying it may be best not to get your hopes up for it. More things that have been shot down have not been implemented than have. The things that were implemented after being shot down are the exception, not the norm, and it's not good to act like something being denied before doesn't mean anything.

As for the market, you'll notice that I said I disagree with TJ's assessment of it.

I'm definitely against 'tickets' to get more CBs, that puts many players at a distinct disadvantage if that's the only way to get more. Not everyone has the time/ability/etc to play those holiday events. I also believe that, because this is a dragon-collecting game, it'd be rather unfair to limit 'extras' to people playing a side-event that has nothing to do with the main game. 

As for just adding them to the Market, I'm not against that but I do think the *easiest* and most logical thing is simply raising limits and using the holiday biome like we already do. Why does it have to be tied to anything else? Using only the Market also limits who can get more, not everyone has tons of shards just laying around collecting dust (like I do...). Some people actually spend their shards as they get them. Unless it was announced *before* the holiday season started, you'd get a ton of people complaining, holidays have never been in the Market before and now suddenly *limits* are raised but only through the Market with shards?! I see way too many frustrations and issues there. If limits are going to be raised, just raise them. No loopholes, no shards, no game-requirement, just raise them.

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm definitely against 'tickets' to get more CBs, that puts many players at a distinct disadvantage if that's the only way to get more. Not everyone has the time/ability/etc to play those holiday events. I also believe that, because this is a dragon-collecting game, it'd be rather unfair to limit 'extras' to people playing a side-event that has nothing to do with the main game. 

As for just adding them to the Market, I'm not against that but I do think the *easiest* and most logical thing is simply raising limits and using the holiday biome like we already do. Why does it have to be tied to anything else? Using only the Market also limits who can get more, not everyone has tons of shards just laying around collecting dust (like I do...). Some people actually spend their shards as they get them. Unless it was announced *before* the holiday season started, you'd get a ton of people complaining, holidays have never been in the Market before and now suddenly *limits* are raised but only through the Market with shards?! I see way too many frustrations and issues there. If limits are going to be raised, just raise them. No loopholes, no shards, no game-requirement, just raise them.

Bolded for truth.

I think the rationale for restricting holidays doesn't make much sense with the game as it is today. I do remember it being hard to get event eggs way back in the day. That was before we had the biomes or anything. It's ridiculously easy now. I caught Halloween eggs on my phone last year, and those are unlimited and drop for only ONE day. Holiday eggs drop for three. No one will have a stressful Christmas over catching the new eggs no matter what the limits are.

The only possible concern I can see is that if we go straight from a limit of 2 to unlimited for OLD breeds, then it would be very hard for people to catch popular old breeds like hollies in the mixed holiday biome that first year. But if rolling it out slowly would be too hard for TJ to code, I don't think that's a dealbreaking problem anyway. It would still be easy to catch the brand new eggs, which is where the only danger of an unsatisfying holiday season lies. Catching old hollies or finding spriters alt eggs in the AP is just an add on, not a guarantee.

Edited by tjekan

If they go unlimited, yes the first year will be nuts. But that will be true no matter what, even if just a higher limit is given. But once they are unlimited people will know they can continue to collect each year, if they wish. 

Please don't forget about those of us with extremely slow internet! Out here in the sticks, it takes me almost the entire available time to get my holiday eggs, let alone do the side tasks. (I live in a forest. It's beautiful, but hates all technology. My cell won't even work here)

Even when I drive into town to use my phone and data, it's still quite difficult, takes a long time, days even (And it feels weird to be sitting in a parking lot for hours on end trying to catch anything)

I'm for increasing limits, but please, in a balanced way to account for those of us already struggling to participate.

(A shout-out to friends who gift, you are incredible!)

I've said this before in another thread, but going unlimited is incredibly easy if you just make the change that the holiday biome never empties; which is really how it should be for Halloween anyway. Additionally, putting all holidays in the market for 100 shards each is pretty good too (and, once again, I feel should be done for Halloween anyway). But even with just making the biome never run out of eggs, it means you never need to worry about moving quick to grab eggs before the biome empties.

Edited by KrazyKarp

KrazyKarp, that would definitely help a lot! Also keeping eggs moving instead of blocking the biome would make a huge difference.

Using shards I'm not as excited about, because I love the feeling of hunt and catch, but am willing to do whatever it takes.