49ER

Raising Limits on CB Holidays

I'm on board for more than 2 CBs of holiday dragons because there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to have more than 2 and it would enhance gameplay and trading.

Halloween is easily the best DC holiday because it's unlimited. It runs fine, it's lots of fun, and people are much more able and willing to help each other and trade. 

My first Halloween I had lots of kind people helping me get my first CBs of all the breeds. This year for Xmas and Vday I know I won't be able to help my newbie friend at all because I have mine. 

Can't really breed lineages freely to help others either because of my limited stock. 

Halloween lets us be much more generous and have way more fun. 

I know I have posted in other threads about this, but I am throwing my support in again. Ideally we could have unlimited numbers like we do for Halloween. I think it could work well since we have three days to catch the new dragon. It might take awhile to catch up with some of the older dragons, but that wouldn't really be a major problem. Lineages are so much easier with Halloween dragons because you can do more even without trading and people are more willing to trade as well.

7 hours ago, BrazenChase said:

My first Halloween I had lots of kind people helping me get my first CBs of all the breeds. This year for Xmas and Vday I know I won't be able to help my newbie friend at all because I have mine.

. . . .

Halloween lets us be much more generous and have way more fun. 

This year, I saw lots of players who were upset that they hadn’t caught any Halloween dragons, despite trying. Some people would rather catch their own, rather than plead and hope for a gift that may or may not be offered. Some players are too shy or too young to ask others for help. The limit ensures that players with slow connections or limited time won’t have to rely on the generosity of strangers.

44 minutes ago, wobster109 said:

This year, I saw lots of players who were upset that they hadn’t caught any Halloween dragons, despite trying. Some people would rather catch their own, rather than plead and hope for a gift that may or may not be offered. Some players are too shy or too young to ask others for help. The limit ensures that players with slow connections or limited time won’t have to rely on the generosity of strangers.

Personally, this was more due to scarcity. Maybe it was me but it just seemed to be less eggs produced this year. Even late in the day the hourly drop was gone in less than a minute. Holiday eggs need to be in constant supply.

7 hours ago, wobster109 said:

The limit ensures that players with slow connections or limited time won’t have to rely on the generosity of strangers.

It's the three-day drop that ensures that, though, not the limit. Three times as many eggs are available as there are at Halloween. Changing the limit each of us can take from 2 to 4 would would still mean plenty of surplus eggs left over and no trouble for anyone to catch them.

The biomes not dropping enough eggs is an issue, too. Whether you lift limits or not, all holidays should always have a constant stream of eggs going through. As long as that happened, I doubt anyone would have a problem with lifting limits.

Yes please! Whether it's 4 CBs allowed or unlimited CBs, I'd love to see either happen. 

If the site does continually generate new eggs without end, then I have no objection. My primary objection is to anyone leaving empty-handed.

Honestly I think the Halloween eggs should be never-ending too. I hate the idea of someone getting nothing. Halloween is not just about grabbing for yourself; it is also about giving candy to others. That’s why we don’t allow kids to grab big handfuls of candy at our doors, and instead we say “take two” so there’s enough candy to go around.

This issue is actually really personal for me. My dad used to take me to the July 4th parade, where people threw candy from floats. By the time I was 7, I was shy and awkward, and I waited my turn, and I didn’t push or step in front of anyone. So whenever a float came by, I waited shyly until all the other kids were done, and then I stepped forward to take a piece.

In the whole parade, I only got 2 pieces of candy. No one offered to gift me a piece out of their handfuls, not a single common tootsie roll. My dad was so furious at me, his embarrassing loser kid, that he screamed at me right there on the sidewalk. No one came to help me. He made me throw away my 2 pieces of candy, so then I had nothing at all.

To this day I’m still not over it. I never want anyone to feel the way I did about anything. To be left out like that. To be waiting for a handout or a gift that never came.

Edited by wobster109

IIRC there's another suggestion thread for increasing the Halloween drop to two days, which I think would be a good way to make sure that doesn't happen. The only people I saw saying they were unable to get any Halloween eggs at all this year were those who were too busy on Halloween evening, after the initial rush had passed. A second day to catch the Halloween eggs would make sure everyone got a chance, even if their hunting time is limited and there is lag. 

56 minutes ago, wobster109 said:

If the site does continually generate new eggs without end, then I have no objection. My primary objection is to anyone leaving empty-handed.

Honestly I think the Halloween eggs should be never-ending too. I hate the idea of someone getting nothing. Halloween is not just about grabbing for yourself; it is also about giving candy to others. That’s why we don’t allow kids to grab big handfuls of candy at our doors, and instead we say “take two” so there’s enough candy to go around.

This issue is actually really personal for me. My dad used to take me to the July 4th parade, where people threw candy from floats. By the time I was 7, I was shy and awkward, and I waited my turn, and I didn’t push or step in front of anyone. So whenever a float came by, I waited shyly until all the other kids were done, and then I stepped forward to take a piece.

In the whole parade, I only got 2 pieces of candy. No one offered to gift me a piece out of their handfuls, not a single common tootsie roll. My dad was so furious at me, his embarrassing loser kid, that he screamed at me right there on the sidewalk. No one came to help me. He made me throw away my 2 pieces of candy, so then I had nothing at all.

To this day I’m still not over it. I never want anyone to feel the way I did about anything. To be left out like that. To be waiting for a handout or a gift that never came.

Precisely this. I absolutely loathe to beg people for freebies, I had to do that when the old holidays were re-released and I had an insanely hard time catching Hollies and Val '09's and had to resort to PMing someone for help. Heck, I even did something I should not have done out of frustration that I still regret to this day. If the holiday limits were suddenly removed, there'd be SO many people who'd walk away from the events empty-handed because they couldn't compete against hundreds of other people clicking the same eggs. I will never support unlimited holidays right from the gate, they must first be gradually raised, and only then be removed. I would quit the site out of frustration if I was forced to resort to pathetically begging and mewling here on the forums for table scraps like a **** dog.

Three eggs per biome and a very limited amount of eggs every 5 minutes is not enough to support unlimited CB holidays. It's not even close to being enough. We'd all be in a frantic frenzy to click just about anything that shows up, no time to read the descriptions because by the time you're done, the eggs are long gone. No time to pick and choose which eggs you want because you're competing against hundreds of other players for the same eggs. A continuous, never-ending flood of eggs might work, but still -- I strongly suggest upping the limits but NOT making them all suddenly unlimited.

Edited by Sazandora

There's no reason to remove limits all at once. Raising the limit from 2 to 4 would just be doubling the number people can take. There are triple the amount of eggs available at holidays than there are at Halloween, so even if every player took twice as many eggs as usual that would still leave many more excess holiday eggs than at Halloween (and I also support extending the Halloween drop by a second day to avoid leaving a frustrating taste in anyone's mouth then as well!)

3 hours ago, tjekan said:

There's no reason to remove limits all at once. Raising the limit from 2 to 4 would just be doubling the number people can take. There are triple the amount of eggs available at holidays than there are at Halloween, so even if every player took twice as many eggs as usual that would still leave many more excess holiday eggs than at Halloween (and I also support extending the Halloween drop by a second day to avoid leaving a frustrating taste in anyone's mouth then as well!)

Doubling the limit might double the amount *newer* players can take, but it also gets all the older players who've hit all their limits back into the hunt. This is bound to have an effect, too.

For new CB's, this shouldn't matter. Even if we assume every player in the game wants to double the amount of CB's they catch over last year, there are still three days worth of drops as opposed to one at Halloween. Triple the supply with double the demand should still make many more eggs available than at Halloween.

The old holiday biome is harder to predict, because the demand for those eggs is competing with the demand for bred eggs (even platinum players have a hard limit of 8 total eggs at a time.) Also, last year we had the problem of the biome repeatedly getting stuck because the breeds on top were ones nobody could pick up due to limits. Having the biome get stuck isn't any better than having it run out of eggs.

Even in the case of old holidays from the biome, I still think increasing the number of eggs per drop would be a much better way to ensure more people get the chance to catch them than limits. The kind of people who can't catch a CB holly in the biome are the same kind of people who can't sit there refreshing for hours waiting for a clog of the eggs they already have to clear, either. They would be better helped by increasing the volume of eggs than by forbidding other users to take them.

Edited by tjekan

The point about the clogging is a very good one. Almost nothing can be done about that as it stands, and no one can help by pushing those along to the AP, even. No one wins in that scenario, and the 5 min drops become even more competitive because of it. CBs being put to the AP is also an absolute blessing for new players with lower trophy counts, where budgeting time and scroll space can be really hard during the holidays. Getting a lower timed CB on the AP can be a great help--I know it really was for me when I was a little Bronzie during Halloween. Having that as a feasible option for other holidays would also be really helpful.

I see no reason for the limit, as I've said before. I don't think the holidays should differ in function from each other at all. As it stands, Halloween is vastly superior to VDay and Xmas because of its lack of limits. People can be far more generous and help others with lineages (not having to choose between delaying themselves and helping others because they have more stock), helping others get CBs, etc. Look at how many Halloween release eggs got thrown to the AP by kind people for others to get! Given the chance, our community usually tries to help others if they are able to. Worried about the Halloween drops? OK. Make it 3 days. The fast people will be egglocked, everyone gets enough, and everyone is happy--and then there are plenty more for everyone to breed and spread around the following year too! Everyone wins.

Xmas and Vday? I can't help my lower trophy friends get their CBs. If I have lineage plans of my own and I see others needing CBs I have... I have to choose between delaying myself by an entire year, or helping someone else. If I had plenty of CBs, I would be thrilled to try and fill as many requests as possible--but because of the limits I can't. I want to, but I can't. Give me the chance, and I will.

I know I haven't been especially supportive of removing limits, nor do I expect, from comments TJ has made elsewhere, that he will be easily persuaded to lift the limits on CB Christmas or Valentines dragons. However, as Christmas approaches this year I find myself not only wishing that we could have many more than 2 CB holidays, but that it had happened at least 2 years ago. You see, I have two Spriter Alt Garlands. So far I have not got one of their Garland babies for myself because I can only breed and keep two - one from each, and there are always more people that want those eggs than I can get. Last year I promised them away planning on only accepting one request for this year so I could get my Garland "double SAltkin" (Shadow Walker and Garland) baby to play with. And the second request that came in was for someone special. So... yeah. Maybe next year. If I had more than two CB SA Garlands more people could have babies from them and I'd get to keep one or two for myself. Yes, I know Spriter Alts are not retroactive. But if sprite artists' dragons for holidays weren't so limited they wouldn't find themselves in this situation.

3 hours ago, BrazenChase said:

Halloween is vastly superior to VDay and Xmas because of its lack of limits. People can be far more generous and help others with lineages (not having to choose between delaying themselves and helping others because they have more stock), helping others get CBs, etc. Look at how many Halloween release eggs got thrown to the AP by kind people for others to get! Given the chance, our community usually tries to help others if they are able to...

How is it helping lineages to get CB eggs and give them out? If the players catch the eggs the eggs themselves that’s just as good. Same with sending eggs to the AP. Searching for new eggs in the AP is stressful and uncertain, and you are competing against hundreds of other people. The AP favors those with time and fast connections. In other words, people who have no trouble getting their own eggs.

Remember that gifting is only fun for people doing the giving, who get to feel kind and benevolent and generous. It may also be fine for askers who are extroverted or confident. But for some people who are shy or unconfident, it is torture to ask. My entire childhood was social rejection and humiliation. I couldn’t even ask for a seat at the lunch table. I’d ask “can I sit here” and they’d say no. I had to tell the teacher that I couldn’t find anywhere to sit, and the teacher would make someone let me sit next to them. I ate with my head down, not talking or looking at anyone. For years. If the other kids wouldn’t even give me an empty seat that they didn’t own and weren’t using, did I dare ask for something that they actually owned?

Please please remember. Giving and gifting may be fun for you but for me it is like pulling teeth. All those humiliated feelings. The thought of asking for anything makes me want to throw up and cry. What’s fun for you isn’t fun for everyone. Please don’t change the holidays into something that’s actually terrifying for lots of people.

I am hoping that this year when the Christmas eggs drop and the previous year's Christmas eggs are available that I click on a CB Holly or Starsinger and it shows up on my scroll and then another one so I can have a whole bunch of those beautiful CB Hollies and Starsingers, and all the rest of those beautiful Christmas dragons will be unlimited for the duration of the Christmas event.

I mean, culturally, Christmas is the season and holiday of giving regardless of how one might feel about it themselves. What's miserable for you isn't miserable for everyone. I'm sorry you have so much anxiety with these sorts of things, but you can't project that onto everyone else. I love giving and receiving gifts, because I love the feeling of helping others, and I love how it feels to know that others are thinking of me, too! It's a shared experience, and I'm sorry you have such a poor view of it. 

And people like to build big lineages. They need more dragons to do so with the limits. I can't make my big Aegis checkers at all with these limits, and I instead then, as you frame it, have to impose on somebody else to breed their Aegises for me instead. The limits force me to ask other people for their limited resources, which I don't enjoy doing (I wouldn't feel so bad if people had more to give). Much like you imply you also dislike. If I had my own stock of CBs, I wouldn't need to bother anybody. There are even anonymous options like the Community Notice Board/Departure thread as well if you have that much of a hard time.

Or for those people who do need bloodswaps or help with lineages, I would have enough to spare that I could help them without shooting myself in the foot, or potentially ignoring someone else. I see multiple people who need a Garland mate for something. I have Garland projects of my own. Even if I decide to only keep one Garland for myself, I still need to leave one of those people looking to expand their lineage searching.

More for everyone = more for everyone. If there's more to go around, there's more to go around. 

I was catching Halloweens in a hospital bed on hospital wifi on a crappy cellphone last year while I was in recovery, drugged out on heavy painkillers. It's not impossible. 

Edited by BrazenChase

Maybe, just maybe, there is a way to find a compromise. Like...

During the breeding week, you cannot grab any more CB eggs if you already have (at least) 2 CBs of the same breed.

However, once the actual new release starts - which is still 3 days - you can grab as many as you want. That still gives those within the limits 7 days of unhindered hunting, while opening the gates for everyone for three days. (Plus, never forget that these 3 extra days aren't just for those players who already have their share - it's also open for those who still need to reach their limit.) Win-win?

2 minutes ago, BrazenChase said:

And people like to build big lineages. They need more dragons to do so with the limits. I can't make my big Aegis checkers at all with these limits, and I instead then, as you frame it, have to impose on somebody else to breed their Aegises for me instead. The limits force me to ask other people for their limited resources, which I don't enjoy doing (I wouldn't feel so bad if people had more to give). Much like you imply you also dislike.

However, you always have the option to do 2nd gen swaps, so everybody wins new blood for their lineage. It's not asking for resources, it's trading them. On the other hand, having to ask for CBs of a new holiday because you can't get them on your own can be rather intimidating. It's the same for me, too. Very similar experience as wobster109 in my childhood, so I'd much rather put a lot of effort into getting what I need than having to rely on other players' generosity.

Edited by olympe

Again, I would be fine with raising and or removing limits if the new eggs are unlimited. The holidays are about giving, but it’s the site that is giving to everyone, in a way that is accessible to everyone. Not, some players grabbing everything available and then redistributing in a way that only extroverted and confident players get to partake. That is what I saw at Halloween. There was generosity and community, but there was also misery.

You’re describing a type of giving that costs you nothing personally. I would bet that at Halloween, you didn’t keep just 1 for yourself and gift all the rest. Grabbing many, choosing the recipients, and still keeping your fill requires no sacrifice, but makes it harder for people with slow connections and limited time. That is what happened at Halloween. (Maybe you got your holiday eggs from the hospital with all the drugs and slow internet because of the limit. It reduced the competition. Who knows if you could have caught any, if there were more competition?)

In other words: you didn’t pay the price for your generosity. The have-nots did.

I want you to have the giving and community aspect, but not at the cost of shy and socially awkward players.

Here’s what I propose.

- Unlimited new holiday eggs generated in the 6 biomes. No limit on new holiday eggs except scroll space. This allows for flexibility with lineages, without creating more competition.

- When grabbing from the special holiday biome, limit of 2 CBs of a breed applies. This gives people a chance at their first CB hollies.

- Eggs that sit in the special holiday biome longer than 5 min get sent to the AP. No limit on CBs when grabbing eggs from the AP. This lets players get more CBs for lineages and gifting, while still preserving a separate and reduced-competition biome for the have-nots.

Edited by wobster109

1 minute ago, wobster109 said:

Again, I would be fine with raising and or removing limits if the new eggs are unlimited. The holidays are about giving, but it’s the site that is giving to everyone, in a way that is accessible to everyone. Not, some players grabbing everything available and then redistributing in a way that only extroverted and confident players get to partake. That is what I saw at Halloween. There was generosity and community, but there was also misery.

You’re describing a type of giving that costs you nothing personally. I would bet that at Halloween, you didn’t keep just 1 for yourself and gift all the rest. Grabbing many, choosing the recipients, and still keeping your fill requires no sacrifice, but makes it harder for people with slow connections and limited time. That is what happened at Halloween. (Maybe you got your holiday eggs from the hospital with all the drugs and slow internet because of the limit. It reduced the competition. Who knows if you could have caught any, if there were more competition?)

I want you to have the giving and community aspect, but not at the cost of shy and socially awkward players.

Here’s what I propose.

- Unlimited new holiday eggs generated in the 6 biomes. No limit on new holiday eggs except scroll space. This allows for flexibility with lineages, without creating more competition.

- When grabbing from the special holiday biome, limit of 2 CBs of a breed applies. This gives people a chance at their first CB hollies.

- Eggs that sit in the special holiday biome longer than 5 min get sent to the AP. No limit on CBs when grabbing eggs from the AP. This lets players get more CBs for lineages and gifting, while still preserving a separate and reduced-competition biome for the have-nots.

I was one of the people throwing Kohrakis onto the AP so that the folks who were away/busy Halloween night would have a chance at them at the end of the Halloween wave. I posted free trade links in Discords (Which would have an anonymous option for taking), and threw out a few things I saw on people's wishlists on the forums as well. My first Halloween was such a positive experience, I wanted to pay that forward during my second. I helped a friend I introduced to the site get her CBs this year as well, since I had more scroll space to do so. Without the CB limit, I was able to catch, and hold things so that a newer player could have a lot more freedom and fun with a once a year event. With limits, that kind of help disappears. All I can do is sit and watch during the other holidays and hope with her trophy she'll have enough space to get all the things she wants while I... Twiddle my thumbs, I guess. Fuuuuun. /s

People giving and helping each other doesn't take away from you, or anyone else. You can still use the Community Notice Board, you can still do all the things we can. And I'm sorry you had such bad experiences, but painting all the people who put together community sharing initiatives as only looking to glorify is pretty mean spirited and negative. I do it with a pay it forward mentality after others were kind to me and I want to inspire the same in others just like I was inspired in the first place.

Having lots of CBs on Halloween meant I could just cruise around wishlists and bomb away! Others were able to do the same for me, and it's nice knowing on Halloween that my requests don't take away as much from them. If I needed $5 and couldn't get it myself, I'd rather ask my friend with $100 than $10 for some help. That's how I feel about the holiday CBs. I have $10, and a bunch of people need $5. I only have $10 to give. I have no way to earn more, so I'm stuck with $10. I'd love to be able to work my way up to that $100, but I literally can't and that's what sucks. For a season about inspiring sharing and generosity, it seriously gimps the ability to do that.

Asking for bloodswaps is one thing, but again. Only 2 (And relies on finding people who are available and willing to do so). Still a huge limit on how much people can do in a season that... Frankly doesn't need to exist. 

21 minutes ago, wobster109 said:

Here’s what I propose.

I foresee a problem with your second point. I'm not saying that TJ can't code it so that you can only take two from the holiday biome but they're unlimited elsewhere, but that is not how he has done things. Essentially, limits apply across the board or not at all. I'm not saying either that I disagree with your idea precisely, but it makes more sense to me that limits apply the same in all cases. If we can have unlimited CB from the biomes or AP we should be unlimited everywhere. It makes explaining what's going on to people so much simpler.

I understand about being shy, and being bullied. (and shame on those teachers for not addressing the problem) I agree that it's important not to try to force people to interact who aren't comfortable doing so. The idea of sending eggs automatically to the AP when they sit though is not one that TJ seems to have embraced with enthusiasm. That said, getting eggs is never going to be completely even-handed, no matter what we try. People have tried to help those who struggle by dropping eggs to the AP, posting discord or forum links as free for alls, and watching sigs and wish lists. Among other things. I'm not sure what else can be done that TJ is willing to do.

Ok. I support no limits, increased limits, whatever. A few points: 

1. If we run out of eggs, TJ can add more. He's done it time and time again. The Marrow release, comes to mind. Yes, that was back when we had 1 Cave with just 3 eggs for every player. He did his best to fix the problem. There's far more egg slots now. 

2. Holiday Biome being stuck can easily be fixed by no limits. 

3. Has anyone had an example of someone who was on on Halloween between the hours of 8am and 11:50pm on the 31st who did NOT get some eggs? I'm almost positive the answer is "no", because after the first few hours, its easy pickings. If I could manage it last year on a 3g connection, its not hard. 

4. The "Spirit of the Holidays": I almost never breed my CB Christmas and Valentines dragons for anyone else, as I need what I've got for my own purposes. I freely offer breedings to *any* of my CB Halloweens to anyone who needs one. I see this sort of behavior over and over and over again. 2nd gen Halloweens are super easy to get. 2nd gen Christmas  / VDays that were released the last year? really hard to get. Its simple: low supply (CB limits) + very high demand = very hard to get (and valuable). The (far more common) Halloweens? High supply + high demand = much easier to get. 

So! I've been on DC for 10.5 years. I've seen a lot of change. And I've seen almost all of them greeted with "the sky is falling!" comments. And for some (not-so-odd) reason, the sky never actually falls. The Marrows, when there really *weren't* enough eggs to go around, got all sorts of tinkering (including an extra line of eggs) that day. Teleport, that god-send, had people table-flipping from one end of the site to the other! Having the AP stop blocking the Cave was pretty awe-inspiring in its virulence. Prizes were a wild ride for quite a while! Golds, Golds, Golds.... that was one of those free-wheeling food-o-mattes that lives in legend. 

At the end of the day, any problems with something that led to unfairness is addressed by TJ. Unintended side effects are dealt with. Bugs are dealt with. People adapt to the change, far faster than they could imagine. The question everyone should be asking isn't "But the Newbies! But the Slow Connections!" (those come up every time), but rather, "Do we want it? Does it benefit the game play?" while we trust TJ to implement it fairly (while we give him ideas on how to do that). 

So. Do I want an increase / removal of limits? Yes. 

Why? Because I think it'll greatly benefit lineage building, it'll make the Holidays more loved (like Halloween), and help inspire far more giving and freebies than the current hoarding mentality that's formed due to restricted supply. 

Cheers!
C4. 

Let's clear something up. Throwing Halloween eggs in the AP does not help players who are struggling. What kind of player will be successful in the AP? Someone with time to sit there and refresh for hours, waiting for the rare new egg to show up. Someone who is fast enough to beat out the hundreds of other players on the AP. Someone with leisure time and speed on their side. 

Think of what kind of person can't catch them on the day of. Someone who is busy. Someone with kids who take up all their attention. Someone without reliable internet. These obstacles will still be there for them 2 days later, when the eggs show up in the AP. It will most likely not be someone's first new egg. If someone is unable to catch one from the biomes, where players are split and the drops are 100% Halloweens, their chances in the AP will only be worse. Throwing eggs to the AP redistributes them to people who already have a lot.

4 hours ago, BrazenChase said:

People giving and helping each other doesn't take away from you, or anyone else. You can still use the Community Notice Board, you can still do all the things we can. And I'm sorry you had such bad experiences, but painting all the people who put together community sharing initiatives as only looking to glorify is pretty mean spirited and negative. I do it with a pay it forward mentality after others were kind to me and I want to inspire the same in others just like I was inspired in the first place.

Is it mean-spirited or is it true? Halloween eggs are not infinite. They are not like money, where you make money, and I make money separately, and they don't affect each other.

Instead they are limited cookies on a plate. Each of you is grabbing armfuls of cookies. Maybe there are other people around the cookie plate, some reaching for their first cookie. You push in front of them, snatch the cookie out from under their fingertips. You're faster, so tough for them. You may be giving them away, but it's a fact that there's less left for the people around the plate. It's a fact that when you click an egg, someone else can't have it. It doesn't sound nice, but it's true. If no one clicked eggs for gifting or throwing in the AP, there would be more for the young, the old, the slow, the arthritic, the working, the shy, the harried parents, and the non-forum-goers.

I'm not saying that gifting is "only to glorify". It's valid to say, "So-and-so is a special person to me, and I want to make sure they get an egg (or 8)." But, in making that choice, you are saying "This person is more important to me than someone else. Someone else is going to be without an egg, and I'm ok with that." I'm not saying that's bad, for example, I'm ok with my sister and me getting concert tickets, even if they sell out and someone else can't have one. But I have to own that choice. Look it in the eye and say, "I'm ok with someone else being disappointed." It's not accurate to tell myself that it doesn't happen.

In some situations (concert tickets), I'm personally ok with that. In other situations (holiday gifts), I'm not ok with that.

4 hours ago, Fiona said:

. . . I'm not sure what else can be done that TJ is willing to do.

It seems to me that what he has done is set a 2 per breed limit. :)

1 hour ago, cyradis4 said:

3. Has anyone had an example of someone who was on on Halloween between the hours of 8am and 11:50pm on the 31st who did NOT get some eggs? I'm almost positive the answer is "no", because after the first few hours, its easy pickings. If I could manage it last year on a 3g connection, its not hard. 

This seems a pretty harsh requirement. I don't think it's right that someone has to try so hard for a holiday event. People have work and kids and school. I think anyone who tries 10-15 minutes should get something.

1 hour ago, cyradis4 said:

At the end of the day, any problems with something that led to unfairness is addressed by TJ. Unintended side effects are dealt with. Bugs are dealt with. People adapt to the change, far faster than they could imagine. The question everyone should be asking isn't "But the Newbies! But the Slow Connections!" (those come up every time), but rather, "Do we want it? Does it benefit the game play?" while we trust TJ to implement it fairly (while we give him ideas on how to do that). 

I wish I could believe that! But a month ago, I watched people walk away from Halloween with nothing. So far as I know, nothing was done to fix it for them. Maybe that's what Halloween on DC is supposed to be like. Halloween is intentionally different. It seems to me that TJ has implemented winter holidays and valentines fairly, by having the CB limit.