LadyLyzar

Abandoned Page Compendium - Display Suggestions

16 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

So what ? Wallers need to allow for that - it will happen anyway. If I had the space I'd be catching and killing them off, even now !

Me too, trust me :lol: Heh, if only dead eggs weren't taking up eggslots, I would have scrambled eggs all over my scroll right now...

I just thought that dead 'wallers' would not count towards the ratios anyway, so breeding them would become pointless. Now when I think about it, it might prove beneficial for preventing walls from happening... but ratios would stay unchanged, which would be still a problem for breeders.

Edited by Auriene

I just picked up a few nocturnes, inspired by this topic - I don't have many of that breed after all and those are basically free hatchies! :D

I don't mind walls, even the longer ones - as long as they don't get other eggs killed. It's kind of a bummer to get something nice sent these and then later you find your own baby dead.

Edited by Sashimi

@Sashimi It may be kind of a bummer when we breed and abandon nice things and find later that they've died but we have to expect that and accept it. At holidays I breed many 2nd gen SAltkin that go to the AP and usually about half of those end up dead. You have to take that philosophically. The ones I send to people as gifts or trades are always loved and cared for. I have to count any of the others that survive as a bonus blessing.

Remember, once they leave our scrolls we have no right to have a say in what happens to them. That is most especially true regarding those that go straight to the abandoned page.

While I would rather like it if TJ took a hard look at the game mechanics that cause people to want to breed walls to try to influence ratios and breeding results, I will be satisfied with something being done to prevent the small percentage of wall makers from controlling the contents of the AP which sends so many people here to Suggestions asking for remediation. In my opinion that "display only a certain number of eggs from each breeder" option will best accomplish that, of the options we've so far found. However, any steps he takes will be welcome.

16 minutes ago, Fiona said:

While I would rather like it if TJ took a hard look at the game mechanics that cause people to want to breed walls to try to influence ratios and breeding results, I will be satisfied with something being done to prevent the small percentage of wall makers from controlling the contents of the AP which sends so many people here to Suggestions asking for remediation. In my opinion that "display only a certain number of eggs from each breeder" option will best accomplish that, of the options we've so far found. However, any steps he takes will be welcome.

Exactly this. Something does need to happen, now that the AP seems to be a wall more often than not. (that said I did just get a pretty Nocturne I can use...)

2 hours ago, Sashimi said:

I don't mind walls, even the longer ones - as long as they don't get other eggs killed. It's kind of a bummer to get something nice sent these and then later you find your own baby dead.

Well, I don't know of a case where any eggs have died because of a wall except for the holidays. At any other time it is always the eggs with the least time left that rise to the top. And they never get low enough in time to die without being picked up. Of course, if they get picked up by someone who doesn't know that they need to be put in hatcheries immediately that is something else, but not really the fault of the wall.

Eggs DO die behind the holiday walls, but that is not the issue we are addressing here. There is another suggestion thread for that. :)

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

So what ? Wallers need to allow for that - it will happen anyway. If I had the space I'd be catching and killing them off, even now !

Frankly, as much as I hate to admit it,  I would be doing it too. 

I don't want to upset anyone here, but I'd just like to make a suggestion that relates to this.  In real life we "humanely euthanize" dogs that can't be placed in homes. Could something like that be worked into game play? It might be a mercy to put some of these homeless eggs down, in a kind way, for the good of their species.

Just a thought...

11 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

It might be a mercy to put some of these homeless eggs down, in a kind way, for the good of their species.

Just a thought...

The problem is, according to the current game mechanics, they need to stay alive for the good of their species ;) And we already can smash eggs, only they take up an eggslot for some time. Besides, as much as I would like to go on egg-smashing spree while stumbling upon yet another wall, killing eggs from walls won't solve any problem. More 'wallers' killed -> less 'wallers' raised -> lesser impact on ratios -> breeders breeding another wall to make a desired impact.

30 minutes ago, Auriene said:

The problem is, according to the current game mechanics, they need to stay alive for the good of their species...

Yes, but what I suggested was a way to change playing the game.  In other words, it could be another option that could be developed for TJ to consider. 

Please, don't think I would really run amok just because I'm annoyed about the wall.  :o

That works less well, as sometimes there could be loads of people breeding who happen to do the same breed and it penalises people who don't breed enough to make a wall. It needs to be a limit PER BREEDER.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That works less well, as sometimes there could be loads of people breeding who happen to do the same breed and it penalises people who don't breed enough to make a wall. It needs to be a limit PER BREEDER.

I do see your point there. That would give all breeders a chance to be seen. Only concern I have at that point is if to many people decide to breed the same breed we can still end up with a wall of the same breed.

But there IS less chance of that than of someone with 1000 of the same breed making a wall all by themselves. AS I said somewhere up there, I did once breed all my BSA dragons - 750 of them. All those reds - and loads of us were doing it as a public service. People probably wanted them - but if they'd been hidden and only had say 15 showing at a time....

And limiting number by breeder would discourage the very few people who DO do it to annoy.

@Fuzzbucket Yeah I see what you mean. I commented in another thread where this was being talked about how the breed heavily influences how well the wall is received. 

If I may state another opinion of suggestions posted on the first post the one I'm least in favor of is the filter what you see in the AP suggestion. I personally feel like this might be a mechanic breaking idea more than a solution. (This is my personal critique of the idea not an attack)

I'm also not sure what good the extra egg slot for bread / AP eggs idea would do, as I feel it'd more likely end up as a slot used to keep eggs you bread for yourself instead of used to help hold AP eggs.

TJ has ALWAYS said that we all have to see the same thing - both in the biomes and in the AP, for level playing field purposes, so that one is not going to fly.

I agree with you about the extra slot idea. No help at all, really.

I'd love to see more freezes available.  I would grab and hatch more of the wall if I could freeze them instead of just dumping them.

The AP has been open about an hour now.  It's so good to see all the bright colors again!  :D

I don't freeze, but  I did something today that I had never done before.  I finally bit some eggs. Out of four I ended up with one success, two repulsed and one killed.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. That reduced the population by just one, so making Vampires isn't the answer, for sure.

14 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

The AP has been open about an hour now.  It's so good to see all the bright colors again!  :D

I don't freeze, but  I did something today that I had never done before.  I finally bit some eggs. Out of four I ended up with one success, two repulsed and one killed.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. That reduced the population by just one, so making Vampires isn't the answer, for sure.

Tell me about it.

I used to bite 7 or 8 from a wall,

if I got 1 or 2 that stayed on my scroll

I was lucky.

This issue has been going on for a while, it’d be nice to see some changes implemented. I don’t mind the occasional walls, since I get that that’s how others choose to play the game, but frankly I think people who wall the AP on a weekly basis are being pretty selfish. There’s a weekly nocturne/celestial wall and they seem to come right after each other. It blocked the AP for at least 3 days. It seems unfair that those 2 players clogged the AP for almost half of the week. I agree the maybe ratios should be fixed or something, but I also think that’s an added layer of difficulty to the game. Ruining the AP for everyone else for almost half of the week seems like quite a rude response to me.

16 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

Actually, that reduced the population of the wall breed by 4 - one being killed and three being turned into another breed (vampire), although you could only keep one of the vamp eggs. Plus, you still had room to take care of 6 more vamps. 7 if you abandon the one that stayed on your scroll.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

Actually, that reduced the population of the wall breed by 4 - one being killed and three being turned into another breed (vampire), although you could only keep one of the vamp eggs. Plus, you still had room to take care of 6 more vamps. 7 if you abandon the one that stayed on your scroll.

Not really.  The two that were repulsed are still alive and taking up space so they were no help. I kept my first Vampire, but how would turning 6 more vamps be any different from filling the spaces with any of the wall eggs?  Is there a limit to how many Vampires someone can keep?

I have a tenth suggestion: remove the kill penalty (blocked eggslot) from the Earthquake BSA. Give the players back a tool to clear up hundreds of unwanted eggs - or hatch them to enhance their chance to get picked up.

1 hour ago, Stormcaller said:

Not really.  The two that were repulsed are still alive and taking up space so they were no help. I kept my first Vampire, but how would turning 6 more vamps be any different from filling the spaces with any of the wall eggs?  Is there a limit to how many Vampires someone can keep?

Because it isn't the wall breed anymore so it gives people another choice. And you can keep as many as you have space that arent repulsed.

11 minutes ago, SturmFee said:

I have a tenth suggestion: remove the kill penalty (blocked eggslot) from the Earthquake BSA. Give the players back a tool to clear up hundreds of unwanted eggs - or hatch them to enhance their chance to get picked up.

That sounds like a straight shot to the AP being almost empty instead.

1 hour ago, Stormcaller said:

how would turning 6 more vamps be any different from filling the spaces with any of the wall eggs? 

Because people grab vamps lol. There's a reason we never see desirable walls even if they're easy to breed like reds or zyus.

I hope my memory doesn't fail me and I remember this right, but didn't earthquake have no penalty back in the day? I'm not sure what the AP looked like, but I also remember people being annoyed by the usual caveblockers - Frills, for example.

30 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Because it isn't the wall breed anymore so it gives people another choice. And you can keep as many as you have space that arent repulsed.

But if people pick up vamps they are not picking up wall eggs. As a result, it does nothing to reduce the wall itself. 

12 minutes ago, SturmFee said:

I hope my memory doesn't fail me and I remember this right, but didn't earthquake have no penalty back in the day? I'm not sure what the AP looked like, but I also remember people being annoyed by the usual caveblockers - Frills, for example.

I started in 2010 and my earliest memories of the AP are that they were mostly Pink and green. A lot of Pink and green.  I tried Earthquake once, killed some of my eggs, and was afraid to use it ever since.  LOL!