Kaiserf11

Trying to Abandon Hatchling, stays on scroll.

So, I was checking my recently bred dragons and one didn't gender as I wanted, I forgot to influece it seems. Anyway, the problem is, since this is for a lineage I'm working on, I needed it to gender Male, it didn't so I'm trying to abandon it. However, its not leaving. I tried the first time and asked for password and followed with another page with a message (pressumably the message when you abandon a hatchling), which I didn't read because right away I clicked back to my scroll, and the hatchling  was there. I thought I may have done something wrong or perhaps entered my password wrong, so I tried again, this time slowly and read everything, the message and all. But again, the hatchling is still there. I thought it was odd and tried a third time, slowly again to make sure not to commit a mistake of any sort, and still, the hatchling is there.

I tried to check my action log to see if it recorded the action or something at least, but it doesn't even mention anything about the hatchling. Maybe because I didn't precog'd or influenced it? There are no actions done to the egg, before me trying to abandon it. But still, tried 3 time to abandon and still not leaving even though I get the message and all. So, help here please?

Here is the link to the hatchling in mention: https://dragcave.net/lineage/hYtHY

Edited by Kaiserf11

Sometimes hatchies refuse to leave and decide to stay. Teleport it out.

Edited by DarkEternity

Truth be told, I've never even heard of hatchlings refusing to leave when abandoned. But, @Kaiserf11, if you need to get rid of the hatchling via teleport, I can take it off your hands. :)

I heard about hatchies not leaving some years a go (I think I remember someone named a hatchie that was stubborn to stay after three attempts to abandon it "It followed me thrice" or so). Personally, I never had it happening to me, but the possibility was there long ago - so maybe it's still there just a very, very rare occurrence?

What exactly does the message say? Did you read the whole thing or only skim the first part? Because the second half of it will normally tell you that it chewed through the ropes to follow you home or whatever it is. Anyway, I think it resets after 24 hours (or possibly on DC midnight like kill dodges, since the hatchling will just keep following you until then), but if you want it gone fast just give it away.

Edited by Shadowdrake

It is fairly rare, but it is a game mechanic. It used to interfere with trades back in the day when there was no teleport and trading was done by abandoning and code catching.

If you read the message carefully you will see that it isn't the standard abandon message. The little guy has become attached to you and doesn't want to leave.

Shadowdrake is right, though, and it resets at midnight cave time. Any attempt to abandon it before then will give the same result, so don't frustrate yourself by trying.

Omg I had no idea that was a mechanic, literally never heard of it. That's so cool... Shame that it happened though. If it resets at cave midnight you should be successful in abandoning tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It is fairly rare, but it is a game mechanic. It used to interfere with trades back in the day when there was no teleport and trading was done by abandoning and code catching.

If you read the message carefully you will see that it isn't the standard abandon message. The little guy has become attached to you and doesn't want to leave.

Shadowdrake is right, though, and it resets at midnight cave time. Any attempt to abandon it before then will give the same result, so don't frustrate yourself by trying.

Sooo... there IS anything on DC with a lower chance of happening than turning a zombie during a regular daytime? Sick

I've had this happen to me once years ago. I think I even saw at least two different kinds of "failure to abandon" messages being discussed. Maybe it was even three of them? I honestly don't know.

Something along the lines of "You try to leash your hatchling to a [whatever it was], but it gnaws through the leash and follows you back." There might have been a similar one without the leash, but the hatchling following you back anyway.

And something else about the hatchling being too cute to abandon / looking at you cutely so you can't bring yourself to abandon it? (Might mix this up with Leetle Trees, though.)

Whilst attempting to abandon a hatchling, the action may fail, with one of the following messages given:

"You lead the hatchling to a nearby cave and try to walk away, but it follows you."
"You try to leash the hatchling to a tree trunk outside a nearby cave, but it chews through the rope and begins to follow you."

"You leave it while it's sleeping, but it wakes up and begins to follow you."

If this happens and you want to try abandoning the hatchling again, you must wait a day.

Well to be honest, I had no idea this failure to abandon was a game mechanic, quite interesting and kind of useful even if the chance is quite low. I do appreciate you guys helped by clearing that for me since I actually thought it was some kind of error or something. Now, out of curiosity I did try again just to take a more detailed look at the message, here is what it says:

j0CAmrZ.png

😶😶😶... great... now it worked... I was hoping to give it away to one of you guys who showed interest in getting it. Sorry 😖

7 hours ago, VixenDra said:

Sooo... there IS anything on DC with a lower chance of happening than turning a zombie during a regular daytime? Sick

Amazing isn't it? Now imagine the conditional probability of both things occurring to the same person in a span of a couple weeks? Lol, because I was able to get a zombie during daytime just before Halloween 🤣

Anyway, I appreciate you guys taking the time to clear this for me, thanks a lot!

I actually have a balloon that followed me back after I tried to abandon it. So, I kept it. But, yeah, it can happen.

783582795_ITFOLLOWEDMEHOME-IguessImkeepingitnow..PNG.ef2ee0215ef686ff92895b8a6ba6cdcd.PNG

1 hour ago, Kaiserf11 said:

😶😶😶... great... now it worked... I was hoping to give it away to one of you guys who showed interest in getting it. Sorry 😖

Seems like it resets at DC midnight, then XD

1 hour ago, Kaiserf11 said:

Lol, because I was able to get a zombie during daytime just before Halloween 🤣

Was it during Halloween breeding week? Because TJ said that Halloween week still has an okay zombie chance, better than regular 31sts but not as good as Halloween day.

Not only that, but if you teleport it away, the receiver will also be unable to abandon it until the reset at midnight. XD

There's also the freeze then release option, if you don't mind using one of your freezes.

5 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Seems like it resets at DC midnight, then XD

Lol yeah, it seems that way.

4 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Was it during Halloween breeding week? Because TJ said that Halloween week still has an okay zombie chance, better than regular 31sts but not as good as Halloween day.

Yeah, it was during Halloween week. I figured those days would have a better chance than any other regular day. Glad to see I was right.

41 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Not only that, but if you teleport it away, the receiver will also be unable to abandon it until the reset at midnight. XD

There's also the freeze then release option, if you don't mind using one of your freezes.

Wait, we have a limited amount of freezes?! I didn't new that!

It tells you how many right on the action page, below the freeze action.There is a two-week cooldown on each freeze action.

Freeze

Permanently prevent the hatchling from maturing into

an adult. (You can use this action __ more times before

you must wait for a few weeks).