tjekan

Holiday Gifts

5 hours ago, Aqub said:

I think this is a really fun idea- Support from me! I understand the concerns around the randomness, but I don't think this would turn out like the raffle. Everybody has to end up with something with the amount of gifts that would be sent out. If this was added, wouldn't a lot of players who like using this mechanic potentially send out hundreds of gifts? I know I would. 

I'm not sure you are understanding the suggestion correctly? People wouldn't be able to send out 'hundreds of gifts'. This isn't some automatic, press a button and a gift is sent. The OP specifies that the gifts would have to be *caught* by the gifter, meaning hunted for and caught in the biomes, which also presumably would mean the 5-hour biome cooldown before it could be gifted. There is absolutely nothing about this suggestion that implies everyone would end up with something, unless we are talking about the later-suggested idea of the system automatically sending something to every user. 

3 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm not sure you are understanding the suggestion correctly? People wouldn't be able to send out 'hundreds of gifts'. This isn't some automatic, press a button and a gift is sent. The OP specifies that the gifts would have to be *caught* by the gifter, meaning hunted for and caught in the biomes, which also presumably would mean the 5-hour biome cooldown before it could be gifted. There is absolutely nothing about this suggestion that implies everyone would end up with something, unless we are talking about the later-suggested idea of the system automatically sending something to every user. 

Well, it wouldn't have to work that way. We could just choose a CB holiday to gift from a drop-down menu, the way we did with Valentine flowers. Our ability to do this could recharge every so often, like many other holiday events. Most everything about this idea would be adjustable.

However, it would be necessary for them to be randomly gifted--otherwise people would begin paying for them under the table. So there'd be no way around the RNG with the system, and that's exactly what people don't like about it. Some people would get more eggs than others, and unfortunately it is probably true that that would cause them to have fits. I'd personally rather get fewer new CB eggs than somebody else in preference to getting zero of them, but not everyone would feel that way...

Just flat out raise the limits. Easy. No extra fuss.

Pros:

More dragons for everyone.

Larger breeding pool of CBs.

More ability to  craft lineages.

More people  able to catch and gift.

No ap blocking where players can't pick up eggs.

More Christmas spirit.

And the site has long proclaimed that  hording is not a thing and everyone should be able to breed and raise whatever they want in whatever  quantity they desire, so, consistency!

No extra rules/coding needed.

Cons.

With the holiday biome and ability to pick up older eggs that were missed are there really  any?

The idea that its more generous has proven to be a falsification. People  are far MORE generous with Halloween's because they have extras. No need to choose  between your own lineages and breeding to gift. And always  easier to catch for others without limits.

"Hoarding": already  covered.

The only "con", which I think TJ has even talked about, is that Christmas and Valentines are intended to be less pressured as far as getting the lineages you want lined up, bred, traded for, etc. Halloween for many is kind of frenzied. Making holiday and Valentines eggs unlimited would mean those holidays would be fraught with that same frenzy, and he wasn't a fan of that idea. However, just raising the limit would not add a lot of pressure to those holidays, in my opinion. tjekan had a lovely thought here, but it does make things complicated. A simple raise to the limits seems like a better option. Maybe to 4?

On 11/12/2019 at 7:44 AM, Fiona said:

The only "con", which I think TJ has even talked about, is that Christmas and Valentines are intended to be less pressured as far as getting the lineages you want lined up, bred, traded for, etc. Halloween for many is kind of frenzied. Making holiday and Valentines eggs unlimited would mean those holidays would be fraught with that same frenzy, and he wasn't a fan of that idea. However, just raising the limit would not add a lot of pressure to those holidays, in my opinion. tjekan had a lovely thought here, but it does make things complicated. A simple raise to the limits seems like a better option. Maybe to 4?

except, that as I said, it's had the opposite effect.  It's harder to continue Christmas/valentines lineages because you have to get help, but people are LESS likely to breed for others if they need those dragons for their own projects.  I only breed 1 non-halloween lineage and because I couldn't find interest in the community, Ive deliberately inbreed them to get the checker I wanted instead.  Otherwise it would have stalled at 2nd.  https://dragcave.net/lineage/WfG5K