wobster109

Per-scroll breeding limit

6 minutes ago, Uther_Pendragon said:

There's only 30 visible eggs in the ap. What do you consider to be a fair amount per breeder to be shown?

5? That still allows for at least 6 breeders and probably more than that because not every breeder has a wall of eggs out there.

including dropped cb's as well? I know I sift for those a lot.

Edited by Uther_Pendragon
I used as well too much

28 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

(and I agree - 3 eggs per is too low.)

Why? I mean, it's just the number of eggs displayed on the front page, not the number of eggs we're allowed to have at all. Why is three eggs apiece on the front page too low--what benefit is there to each breeder in having more than that on display at a time?

31 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

5? That still allows for at least 6 breeders and probably more than that because not every breeder has a wall of eggs out there.

What she said.

22 minutes ago, tjekan said:

Why? I mean, it's just the number of eggs displayed on the front page, not the number of eggs we're allowed to have at all. Why is three eggs apiece on the front page too low--what benefit is there to each breeder in having more than that on display at a time?

I'm wishing for more than 3 from the perspective of an AP visitor, not a breeder. (As a breeder, I wouldn't mind if only 3 of my eggs appeared at the same time, because I know they'd get picked up sooner or later anyway.)

I know this thread was started because of annoying one-breed walls, but often there are many different and desirable eggs from one breeder in the AP. For example when eggs bred by Terrafreaky show up, I can never grab as many as I want (scroll limits!), so I try to look at as many codes and lineages as possible to decide. I wouldn't like having to pick from just three of their eggs when I know there might be a lot more that I just can't see because of the 3-egg limit.

Of course if a limit is implemented, it can't be too high, because if it doesn't work then there's no point in implementing it at all. So, not 20 eggs per breeder. But 6 would be a reasonable compromise in my opinion. One row of wall eggs is fine.

But remember, you won't be the only person snagging the Freaky's, in your example, so more would show as the visible ones get snagged.
  It's not much different in the normal non-one-breed ap, where you have no idea what's coming down the pike, so you can only choose from what's visible right now. (Love me some Freaky's myself) I feel 6 per is at the too high side, and 3 to mayyybe 4 allows for more ppl's eggs to be represented.

1 hour ago, Confused Cat said:

What would "the back of the queue" mean? That the egg's time is changed to "7 days left" (so it goes to the literal end of the queue of abandoned eggs that exist at that moment)?

(Edit: and what would happen a few days later when those same 500 wall eggs appear again, all at the same time, and are re-abandoned again...?)

If the number of a breeder's eggs to be shown in the AP is limited, I would prefer something like 6 eggs per breeder. 3 seems a bit low.

Yeah, I definitely don't understand how the 'back of the queue' idea would work at all. It seems great on the surface but then you quickly run into problems when it happens repeatedly. A wall of eggs get sent to the back, all the other eggs 'before' it get picked up, and there is the wall of eggs again! Doesn't actually solve anything at all. Also very much agree with @purplehaze that just because someone picks up and reabandons an egg doesn't mean it's 'unwanted' or not valuable by others. I hunt exclusively for either Aqualises or messies and I throw back a *lot* of nice stairsteps, low-gen Prizes, etc. No reason they should go to the back just because of me!

3 per breeder seems reasonable to me. It allows for a lot of different people's eggs being displayed. I'm supposing CB eggs would never be stacked because they have no breeder. I think that's ok. There's never going to be a real flood of those, except maybe? at holiday times when people are trying to be generous. And remember as people pick up the eggs on the top of the stack the ones underneath will be visible.

I'm not a fan of the "back of the queue" idea. For one thing, eggs are coded to show by time left, and I don't like the idea of changing how much time they have left. Throwing them to the end of the line without changing their time messes with the way the ap appears to be coded.

I support the idea of showing like 3-5 eggs per breeder in the AP. It sounds like the best option out of all the ones being presented here.

Perhaps instead of hashing out a completely different idea in the thread of the idea you all considered unviable, someone should make a new thread dedicated to visibility limitation? It'd be less confusing for thread newcomers and if TJ checks in.

1 hour ago, Confused Cat said:

I know this thread was started because of annoying one-breed walls, but often there are many different and desirable eggs from one breeder in the AP. For example when eggs bred by Terrafreaky show up, I can never grab as many as I want (scroll limits!),

For terrafreaky read 42.... :)

Another one-breed wall, started approx 9pm!

It seems that showing 3-5 eggs per breeder is the least disruptive and getting the most agreement. Thank you to everyone.

Where do we go from here?

There's already another wall of Celestials going on.  I've no idea if it was put up by one breeder or by several working together. However it got there, the result is that I, and anyone else who doesn't particularly care for bred Celestials, is effectively shut out of playing their game.  This is just not fair and should be corrected somehow.

Edited by Stormcaller
missing comma

it's not unfair; you just don't like it. There IS a difference. And it seems to have quite a few others mixed in.

Please let's stay on topic of finding ways to change the ap dynamic to make it more balanced for different play styles.

The eggs mixing in this current one-breed wall are mostly by the same breeder, though there are a handful from others.

So limiting how many per breeder are seen seems to be the best solution that's been proposed.

Removed an errant T

No, it's definitely unfair. One person's playing style is being given precedence over another's. The question is, is it the kind of unfairness that is a problem and we can do something to improve, or is it the kind we have to suck up because life is inherently unfair?

And I'm getting the impression that the answer to that depends heavily on how difficult the proposed adjustments to the AP would be to code. It may be time to just wait and see what TJ can do with the 5-eggs-per-breeder suggestion at this point.

Edited by tjekan

Between 3-5 eggs shown per, there was a divide of opinion between those numbers. (My vote was 3-4)

Is there someone that can ask TJ to weigh in on the changes that have been suggested?

9 hours ago, Uther_Pendragon said:

including dropped cb's as well? I know I sift for those a lot.

Can we include this in the filter option if we go that route? Filtering by CBs only would also help.

TJ reads these threads, and will weigh in on them if he feels the need for his input.

There are a number of good ideas floated in the thread. I'm sure TJ will read them over carefully and make decisions based on what seems appropriate to him.

In the past I was in the "nothing really needs to be done" camp. And this doesn't affect me personally as I don't frequently breed large numbers nor do i frequent the AP. But the wall issue seems to be getting worse, and with it the frequency of threads like this asking for something to be done. I think it's clear that it's time to do something.

Catching up with suggestions:

I would favor 5 eggs from one breeder displayed. 3 is too low.

Hard no against "back of the queue" for reasons others have stated.

Hard no to filtering for various reasons, not least of which being that's very close to things TJ has shot down in the past.

Still preferring inaction.

Edited by Keileon

5 eggs for one breeder is certainly doable. I very much agree that something needs to be done for the reasons Fiona stated, and limiting the amount of eggs shown per breeder seems like the least offensive/intrusive way to go. 

Has anyone yet suggested simply paginating the AP? That would probably be a lot easier to code than filtering, which I otherwise like, and would allow people who weren't interested in a massbreed to just skip over it, while people who wanted to see all Terrafreaky's eggs at once still could.

And I wake to another one-breed wall!
Well, two-breed wall? lol, I've not seen a half and half before. So we're at what, 4 walls in 3 days? 

I'm still in the 3 per camp as it allows for more breeders to be represented, (10 vs 6, as well as allowing room for any dropped cb eggs, any auto'd eggs, like vampires, etc.)

eta: sry was typing when u posted, Tjekan. Skipping over a wall would be cool. Is there any possible downside to your pagination idea?

More info was posted

51 minutes ago, Uther_Pendragon said:

Is there any possible downside to your pagination idea?

There would never be any (semi-)rare low-time eggs in the AP again.

Of course it would still be fair, because everybody could decide for themselves whether they want to keep refreshing the last page (7d 0h) to get rares, or search through the other pages hoping to find something that's lower time and still not too bad, but in my opinion it would damage a big part of what's fun about the AP.

(I'm aware that the AP was not created to give us low time eggs, but I got so used to that nice side effect of the "garbage pile"... I don't want to lose that!  :D )