TJ09

2019-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

17 minutes ago, wobster109 said:

Question for everyone: Should I breed my Halloween dragons from previous years? Would people like that, or would it clog up the AP and be annoying for people?

I know it used to be useful when it was the only way for new players to get dragons from previous years. But now that there's a dedicated biome, do people still want that?

I *love* bred Halloween eggs, and I know many other people do too. The problem is that once the darn AP gets down below 3 days, you can't influence anything. So everything pretty you breed at this point has a 50% chance of gendering wrong.

I would soooooooo hoard a dragon with a BSA to make influencing work on a lowtime egg.

Anyway, I'd say breed your dragons if you want, the worst that happens is people get free frozen hatchies out of it!

24 minutes ago, wobster109 said:

Question for everyone: Should I breed my Halloween dragons from previous years? Would people like that, or would it clog up the AP and be annoying for people?

I know it used to be useful when it was the only way for new players to get dragons from previous years. But now that there's a dedicated biome, do people still want that?

I can't speak for everyone, but I would prefer to see nice lineages and a nice mix of the breeds - don't just massbreed all the cavern lurkers and then get bored and stop or anything like that.  Focusing more heavily on the more recent breeds might also be nice, because I distinctly remember seeing an AP that was something like 3/4 shadow walkers with 1/4 cavern lurkers and the occasional other breed.

Edited by Pilauli

still lagging like hell for me, takes partly up to 10 seconds to load a biome and still no code for my goal,  this will probably be the first year for me to not get my 2 All Caps codes and 2 Name codes, 3 hours until midnight for me...

Lag is horrible, but I apparently don't have it as bad as some others, because catching some more (I'm hoping to abandon two sets of new eggs to the AP before getting my own) wasn't too hard just now.

yes, catching isn´t too hard even with lag, but if you want to look for codes (like myself) it is impossible to find anything...

that reminds me, I still have my CB Halloweens to breed ^^ 

It seems this year I won't have halloween dragons. The biomes are empty. One day will not be enough to catch if things are like this.

What a crappy Halloween. 😟

26 minutes ago, tjenni said:

still lagging like hell for me, takes partly up to 10 seconds to load a biome and still no code for my goal,  this will probably be the first year for me to not get my 2 All Caps codes and 2 Name codes, 3 hours until midnight for me...

Imagine this lag and trying to snatch eggs on a cellphone. 😬 Amazing!

The lag is really bad, and although I have happily caught 4 of the new 2019, I am still scratching for one more CB Arcana... why a breed that is so recent is so rare the following year in the Halloween Bio makes no sense to me, but then I don't think like others do so.... yeah. I see three or four drop in one time frame (every five to ten minutes) with sometimes they don't show up at all. I know they are the most wanted CB this year it seems, but come on, this is Halloween, and I only get one CB Arcana? okey, rant over, I hope we survive the lag monster this year!

The hatchies are just captivating! I think, no, I know I'll love the adults as well. I'm happily egg-locked with my eight new dragons and eager to see them hatch and grow. Horrifying Halloween, everyone!

Edited by Varislapsi

30 minutes ago, Alexiel Dragoness said:

It seems this year I won't have halloween dragons. The biomes are empty. One day will not be enough to catch if things are like this.

People are throwing lots of them in the AP, so they'll probably make a wall at the end of the event as the AP clears. Keep an eye out!

10 minutes ago, Alexiel Dragoness said:

Check the biomes on the 5-minute intervals (xx:x5, xx:x0). There are some in there right now. Or as said above, trawl the AP for abandoned CB ones (lots of people do it for late-comers).

Cool! I'm excited that these have antlers.

Edited by Jazeki
Used actual sentence structure lol.

For whoever is wondering, I contributed the candy corn/ghost dragon treat.

Haloween19ghostiesimple.gif.a345749dd9efc89328396c2c41827b04.gif

My original plan was to use a common pygmy, but the common pygmy's spriter appears to have left the site so I could not get permission. Good job to the spriters of the spirit ward and shadow walker diorama treats for figuring out to get permission and picking dragons it was possible to get permission for. I hope I remember this if/when open treat spriting time comes again.

22 minutes ago, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

My original plan was to use a common pygmy, but the common pygmy's spriter appears to have left the site so I could not get permission.

If I'm reading the rules correctly (https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/51554-the-official-art-usage-form/), you are allowed to use the sprite. If you've asked and the spriter hasn't responded in 30 days, then permission is granted by default. So you wouldn't have had time to ask and get default permission for this year, but if you ask now then you have permission for next year.

I don't know if there are more specific rules for treat submissions though. For example, in the Easter egg submission thread, TJ said that works had to be "original", and I'm not sure what exactly that covers. We're clearly allowed to copy the generic egg outline. Tracing was not allowed in general. But can I trace a photo that I myself take, that has not been publicly posted? In that case the resulting sprite would be original.

9 minutes ago, wobster109 said:

If I'm reading the rules correctly (https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/51554-the-official-art-usage-form/), you are allowed to use the sprite. If you've asked and the spriter hasn't responded in 30 days, then permission is granted by default. So you wouldn't have had time to ask and get default permission for this year, but if you ask now then you have permission for next year.

I don't know if there are more specific rules for treat submissions though. For example, in the Easter egg submission thread, TJ said that works had to be "original", and I'm not sure what exactly that covers. We're clearly allowed to copy the generic egg outline. Tracing was not allowed in general. But can I trace a photo that I myself take, that has not been publicly posted? In that case the resulting sprite would be original.

I appreciate the advice, though I figured that out after I made the first version of my sprite. I had assumed that those rules were specifically for using the official sprite, and what I did was draw my own sprite using the same colours and approximately the same proportions, in the one foreleg up and wings folded pose that my final ghost sprite retains. I thought, because I was not using an official sprite that my treat would count as fan art, similar to all the non-Dragcave game/show/etc. reference treats and FoE eggs. (Unless those people are getting permissions from their source materials' creators for their sprites?) That proved not to be the case.

This will probably be my last set up for the night. I've beem trying to find a strat that doesnt rely heavily on magmas. Hopefully this works.

1355641119_Capture_2019-10-31-17-56-49.png.4558f411598d58c08458fbf322cf5a55.png

If this dies early I may go for a pink-ice wall, but idk. Magmas are a hard thing to beat, man.

Edited by Shokomon

Happy Halloween, everyone!  :D

Don't forget to turn any prepared Zombie-fodder!

Exited about the new dragons, they look very promising.

Also a big thank you to all the spriters involved in this event!  ❤️

Happy Halloween! Thanks to all involved, who made this a fun event 😃 may you find tasty candy snacks tonight.

Since it seems a few of us are sharing what we made, this was my treat:

1jdfmrf.gif

It's mainly based on a fox mask, though I'm not too sure that came across too well. xD

Just finished breeding All of my cave born halloweens! It took forever, hahaha there are 291 2G eggses going to the AP *dusts hands* NOW to breed all of my non-CB halloweens.  I'm going to be at it for the next 6 hours! I wont get through all of them, there are 127, which would be another 380 eggs give or take, and that WOULD be flooding the AP Mwah-hahahahaha

I have reached round 863 with no losses so far! I hope I am still alive when the game comes to a close, cause a draw is the best and only kind of win we can get!

8 minutes ago, XDLugia said:

Since it seems a few of us are sharing what we made, this was my treat:

1jdfmrf.gif

It's mainly based on a fox mask, though I'm not too sure that came across too well. xD

I thought it was a cat wearing a Jason Halloween mask. XD  Whatever it's meant to be, it's cute! Well done!

11 minutes ago, saltywench said:

Just finished breeding All of my cave born halloweens! It took forever, hahaha there are 291 2G eggses going to the AP *dusts hands*

Sounds awesome!

I timed mine wrong this year. I bred my CB's to appear today, on Halloween, but I underestimated how slowly the AP would move. Now they won't appear till tomorrow, and will be too far gone to incubate. Rats.

I need more aeons before next Halloween. Like, a LOT more aeons...

Edited by tjekan