Talisraye

ANSWERED:Sort by Breed Fix

So, I have my scroll as sort by breed, reverse order, eggs and growing on top. It's all good except the yellow dino is separated from all the other dinos by chickens. IDK if the site is thinking yellow dino, yellow chicken baby, but he should be moved to be added to the dinos and the only way you can do that is a custom sort, which takes way too long. Can it be recoded to have him added to the dinos by default?

Almost certainly not. It's alphabetical. Check the encyclopaedia:

Diplodocus carnegii

Gallus gallus domesticus

Parasaurolophus cyrtocristatus

Pterodactylus maximus

Stegosaurus stenops

Triceratops horridus

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Almost certainly not. It's alphabetical. Check the encyclopaedia:

Diplodocus carnegii

Gallus gallus domesticus

Parasaurolophus cyrtocristatus

Pterodactylus maximus

Stegosaurus stenops

Triceratops horridus

Then perhaps allowing a sort of tiles that drag ALL of a species at once? I'm no programmer, but I would think doable. Perhaps not even hard for someone who is good at it, though I wouldn't know the difficulty likelihood. Or something easier than what is available for large scrolls. Or add dinosaur in front of the breed name. Or name Gallaus as chicken, IDK. It just seems rather unpalatable to have that one dino by itself. Though I suppose this gripe would be far down the list of cares.

Well - if you sort by breed then save and then move him with the grid sort - that should do it...

I can see that dinos and chickens are lumped together and sorted to the end, the alphabetical sorted. But I think rayemoon has a point. It makes more intuitive sense to put chickens either before or after the dinos, and not in the middle.

Grid sorting is not a fix here, as rayemoon then has to manually custom-sort every single dragon they ever get, from now until forever into the future. The moment they try to use breed-sort to make it automatic again, the chickens will go right back to their original spot.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:30 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

Well - if you sort by breed then save and then move him with the grid sort - that should do it...

As wobster pointed out, I've tried that. As soon as you go to move from "sort by whatever" option and then try "sort by tiles" it'll undo the "sort by whatever" you had before. And then you have to redo it every time, dragging one tile per one dragon. At best, I'd have to sort by breed/color every single time I got a new dragon, then every single time sort by tile to move that dino. All for just one species that, while technically species Diplodocus carnegii by science name, is a dino.

I get that it's done by breed alphabet name, but it seems to me that one thing could be done just to fix that. Sort by species type instead for one, so that all wyverns, all drakes, all dinos, all chickens, etc are all together. You could even compound sorts that first it does by type, then by color. Again, I'm not a programmer, and I doubt whoever programs this (TJ only?) would really care, but it's quite the bone in my craw.

On my phone, when I want to sort family members together, but it goes by alphabet of their name, I just put a z or v or whatever in front of their name so that they sort where I want them. So my friends are vNikki, vSonya, vPaula, etc. When you can't SEE the coding, I don't think it would visually bother anyone to have dinosaur Diplodocus carnegii etc in there.

Edited by rayemoon

On 11/14/2019 at 1:48 AM, rayemoon said:

As wobster pointed out, I've tried that. As soon as you go to move from "sort by whatever" option and then try "sort by tiles" it'll undo the "sort by whatever" you had before. And then you have to redo it every time, dragging one tile per one dragon. At best, I'd have to sort by breed/color every single time I got a new dragon, then every single time sort by tile to move that dino. All for just one species that, while technically species Diplodocus carnegii by science name, is a dino.

Actually, you can easily use "Grid Custom Sort", for example, and then pre-sort your scroll by breed. The pre-sorting options Reset (to age), Breed, Growth, Name, Color and Reverse (the current sort upside down) are on top of the page. So, all you'd have to do is swap the chickens and the yellow dinos.

That was what I meant - I do that every time I get new stuff. Once you've sorted by breed and saved, that decides it's your default and then the grid sort assumes that.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:09 AM, olympe said:

Actually, you can easily use "Grid Custom Sort", for example, and then pre-sort your scroll by breed. The pre-sorting options Reset (to age), Breed, Growth, Name, Color and Reverse (the current sort upside down) are on top of the page. So, all you'd have to do is swap the chickens and the yellow dinos.

With no longer having eggs and hatchlings on top, right?

I have them on top too. Just save what I've done and then check that box afterwards.

17 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I have them on top too. Just save what I've done and then check that box afterwards.

@rayemoon I can confirm that it works. First sort your scroll as you see fit (breed custom sort, then swap the two breeds that you want), then go back to account => change sort order and put the checkmark back in "place eggs and unfrozen hatchlings on top"

Although... I'd really like to see some new sort options...

Edited by olympe