olympe

Save the Holiday Wall Eggs!

It's happened in the last couple of years already, at least for the Halloween eggs: Holiday eggs pile up in the AP, even long after the breeding period is over. Eggs go down to way below influence-able times, often below 1 day towards the end. And it seems like quite a few of the AP eggs simply die.

I'd like to change that. But it's not easy to do for all the eggs there: We only see 30 at a time - the same 30 everyone else gets to see and probably pick up (eventually). However, we can easily get the codes of the eggs we bred ourselves, even if they're not visible in the AP yet.

What I'd like to suggest is this:

Let's enter the eggs we bred that are above AP time into 1 fansite (enough to prevent them from dying, not enough to let them get sick) as soon as they're at 2 days 23 hours or less left. Less is better so the hatchling wall will last longer. Make sure the egg you entered doesn't have an owner yet - at least as far as possible (very low stats in the single digits where all numbers are almost the same, no owner shown on the view page, no "accepting aid" message on the view page - default for AP eggs is "not accepting aid". ;))

Why at that time?

Well, hatchlings can't be influenced, and especially around Halloween, getting the correct gender can be crucial. However, eggs with less than 3 days left can't be influenced either, so no harm done.

Why only one fansite?

Because it should suffice to hatch the eggs. Plus there aren't too many fansites around that allow you to enter single egg codes - fansites that also have an ER for lowtime eggs. Besides, having to enter single codes can get very tedious very fast. In other words, it's some kind of self-preservation.

Which fansite can I use?

I honestly only know about one that's suitable for this, although I'm open for other suggestions. Personally, I'd use Silvi's Lair, as it allows you to dump an endless amount of eggs and has an ER. On the downside, the site is quite slow (at least for me), so it's tedious to use.

Whichever fansite you end up using, please remember to give some views in return. Someone will have to hatch all the ER eggs popping up out of nowhere, after all!

Isn't this technically rule-breaking?

I hope not. As the eggs you're supposed to enter don't have an owner - and can't have one yet due to how the AP works - you aren't messing with anyone's scrolls. Yes, there's a standard "not accepting aid" message on the egg's view page if it doesn't have an owner - but, well, there is no owner. You're supposed to check for a displayed owner, or for 0/0/0 or 1/1/1 stats (the latter happen if you looked at the egg) to make sure. That being said, it'd be totally legal to enter the eggs into a fansite as long as they're your own held eggs, even if you abandon them afterwards (or they get auto'ed after an hour), so it hopefully shouldn't be an issue. If it is, however, I humbly ask the mods to close this thread.

5 hours ago, olympe said:

Yes, there's a standard "not accepting aid" message on the egg's view page if it doesn't have an owner - but, well, there is no owner.

Actually, this is based on the last owner it had - you can see this by grabbing an egg, changing your accept aid message then abandon it, and you'll see the egg have whichever setting you put on while you had it. Therefore logically it still is "owned" by you even if abandoned (which you can also notice when you pick up and drop an egg but no one else has grabbed it again yet, so you can't regrab it yourself because the AP still knows you had it last). If it's above AP time there's definitely no way someone could have grabbed it out of there, so they should be safe.

5 hours ago, olympe said:

And it seems like quite a few of the AP eggs simply die.

I haven't seen this get close to happening yet (except for regular dragons which is a different matter), so the "AP'd" eggs that died were just likely picked up and forgotten for too long.

I do want to note that if you hatch an egg too early the hatchlings have a risk of growing up in the wild since you can't remove them from hatcheries to stop them getting views, and it only takes three days after hatching for them to grow, so waiting for them to hit fairly low time (like 2d23h like you said) is a good idea, and I wouldn't mind the holiday wall being cleared up a little faster than normal either.

2 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

I do want to note that if you hatch an egg too early the hatchlings have a risk of growing up in the wild since you can't remove them from hatcheries to stop them getting views, and it only takes three days after hatching for them to grow, so waiting for them to hit fairly low time (like 2d23h like you said) is a good idea, and I wouldn't mind the holiday wall being cleared up a little faster than normal either.

Hmm, I didn't think of that - hatchlings growing up in the wild. Maybe setting the timer even lower - maybe less than 1 day, if it happens - would help here...

-bump- 

Im entering AP eggs into hatcheries, but I only have room on my scroll for four at a time. Once the eggs hatch, Im tossing the hatchies back to the AP as a fun surprise for other hunters later 😁💖. Let’s break down that Halloween egg wall before the eggs die off!! Who wants to help? 

Don't worry, no Halloween eggs will die from running out of time. The AP is currently at almost the same time it was on this day last year, so unless people bred a lot more eggs during the last few hours of the event this year, the Halloween wall will be gone in around 30 hours.

I would like to state as well, I'm pretty sure hatchlings get bumped straight to first page to be picked up... Also, We're starting to get the newest eggs coming through the wall now, so I don't think we have much to fear from eggs dying.

I use extra scroll space to hatch and then throw the hatchlings out in the AP.

As for uhhh... breeding last minute... I might have bred around... 50+ CB Halloweens (no Halloween-Halloween pairings). in the last hour of Halloween. 

Edited by Kiyoura

I have been doing - but waiting for them to gender - and then throwing them back - and they ar growing up wild. Not dying, though.

Looks like there are more eggs from the last few hours of Halloween than there were last year. (Or fewer people picking them up, who knows.) Unfortunately my notes are incomplete, but I think the AP time is lower now than it was a year ago, so the wall will probably last longer than it did last year.

(How much longer? No idea. :lol: )

I've been doing my part by grabbing the biggest clutch I can hold, hatching them, and releasing the hatchings back for others to adopt.

On 10/19/2019 at 4:38 PM, olympe said:

I honestly only know about one that's suitable for this

ValleySherwood lets you add eggs below 4 days into its ER without a scrollname.

21 hours ago, cerimonster said:

I'm pretty sure hatchlings get bumped straight to first page to be picked up

Nope. They pop in according to their timer just like eggs. Yesterday, I snatched a hatchie that was at 2d some hours (same as the eggs) and it insta-grew on my scroll. You'll see plenty of higher-time hatchies once the lowtime eggs are gone.

Edited by Ruby Eyes
forgot a word

If I get the codes from the AP eggs and put them on hatch sites, do they get clicks even without owners?

The AP time just went from 1d 14h to 1d 13h. I think this means the eggs currently visible were bred 5 days and 11 hours ago, which would be around 20:50 on the 31st... but wait, daylight saving **** , so... 21:50? So we still have all the eggs from the last two holiday breeding hours in the AP.

And I thought I could get some work done today...  :P

On 11/5/2019 at 7:31 AM, Confused Cat said:

Don't worry, no Halloween eggs will die from running out of time. The AP is currently at almost the same time it was on this day last year, so unless people bred a lot more eggs during the last few hours of the event this year, the Halloween wall will be gone in around 30 hours.

^ Boy was I wrong about those 30 hours... :lol:

(I did expect the wall to last longer than last year, and at some point during the event it looked like it would be a lot longer - but then the AP time got back to what it was at the same time last year and it looked like we had somehow caught up with any additional eggs. - I guess I have to observe the Halloween behaviour of eggs for a few more years before I can make predictions! XD )

If my calculations are correct, it took us 5 hours (since my post above) to hatch the eggs that were bred in the 40 minutes between 21:50 and 22:30 on the 31st. I'm not sure if I'm doing the maths (and DC-ology) right, though, so... uh... no predictions here. But I think we have around one hour's worth of Hallween breeding left?

One of the last Halloween eggs I've bred at 21:32 on 31st is 1 day 6 hours now. Eggs that appear in AP now have 1 day and 7/8 hours left, so they couldn't be bred more than  ~2 hours after mine (that means they are from before ~23:30).

So, the wall of eggs is almost over, it seems. But every time I check AP time gets lower and lower...

Edited by Lyncerta

I must have put around 20 AP egg on Silvi's Lair, it's very tedious but they are hatching so it works. It better if you check the egg's siblings too

I've been adopting eggs, hatching them, and then releasing them. Unfortunately, I am leaving for a multiple day trip and can't help anymore. Good luck to saving the offspring and possible CBs that people left. I'd like to help more but I can't, so DragonSpeed to all of ye.

I bred something 44 minutes before the end, and all 3 eggs have been picked up. So we're down to the last 44 minutes or so of breedings XD

The AP is currently changing from 1d 6h to 1d 5h, and I thiiiink this means there are 30 minutes left.

I guess my strategy of "stay awake until hatchlings" was the wrong one, I should have gone with "go to bed early and set alarm for SUPER EARLY"...

(Edit: ... 30 minutes of egg breeding on Halloween, not 30 minutes of wall.)

Edited by Confused Cat

Hello, this is the confused and sleepy cat with her not-quite-hourly Halloween wall guesstimation update.

The AP seems to be changing from 1d 5h to 1d 4h now, so the visible eggs should have (more or less) exactly 1d 4h left, so we may have reached the eggs of 10 minutes before midnight on Halloween.

Edit one hour later so I don't triple post here:

Another AP time drop? After one hour and five minutes? Seriously? It took one whole hour to get rid of 5 minutes' worth of eggs? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaa

Edited by Confused Cat

We're down to 1d 3h now. I keep grabbing, hatching and throwing back as many as I can. Been doing it for the last few days... But I need to get to bed now, so the last batch is on its own.