TJ09

2019-09-29 - Trick or Treat Event Submissions

Earlier this year, we opened up the Festival of Eggs to user submissions. Our first attempt at formalizing community art gathering received a great amount of interest, so I've decided to extend this to the yearly Trick or Treat. We are now accepting submissions for treats (or tricks) from the entire community.

Here's some base guidelines:

• Treats should be generally Halloween-themed, not just random objects.
  • Size limit of 50x50px.
  • Images must be submitted in PNG or GIF form.
  • Treats should be pixel art, which generally means that overall color count is limited and pixels are intentionally placed. Do not use e.g. filters or anti-aliased tools such as Photoshop's paint brush.
  • Treats may be animated, but should not use rapid or flashing effects.
  • Semi-transparency is allowed.
  • Images must not be shared publicly before the event begins.
  • Treats may be rejected for reasons other than those in this post—namely, there will be a general quality bar. We'll try to provide useful feedback around rejections.
  • Only one submission will be accepted per-person.

There are a limited number of spots available. Submissions will be accepted on a first come, first served basis which only applies when the art is accepted (that is, if you need to make changes and resubmit, that bumps you to the back of the line).

All submissions must be via PM to @Event Art Submissions. The deadline for submissions is October 20.

By submitting art to the Trick or Treat event, you grant Dragon Cave a non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license to host, use, distribute, modify, copy, display, and create derivative works of your content. You can end this license any time by contacting us, though the art may not be immediately deleted. The license also ends immediately upon formal notice from us that the art will not be used in the event.

Thanks for letting us know boss! I look forward to all of the neat things everyone comes up with!!!

Fresh blood among the spriters!

Good luck and may you have fun spriting for this event.

I will not sprite, maybe one day.

*blinks* I was just thinking about trick-or-treat. I've an idea, but not sure I'll be able to find the time to do it...

Over Hallowe'en, for about three days (I forget exactly) random tricks/treats will pop up on your pages about every 10-15 minutes when you are on your scroll or in the cave. Click on them and they will be added to your basket - a pumpkin a the top of your scroll.

I've been at this a long time - this is mine with the ones from several years in it:

https://dragcave.net/trickortreat/flurp

Is there any policy that disallows submissions based on copyrighted material? I notice that past events such as Festival of Eggs have allowed sprites that reference or derive from video games, or other popular media. Of course, this is provided that the sprite is original, not directly tracing or "copy/pasting" components from said media, although even that seems to have gotten by at least once.

Edited by Ashywolf

6 hours ago, Ashywolf said:

@TJ09 Is there any policy that disallows submissions based on copyrighted material? I notice that past events such as Festival of Eggs have allowed sprites that reference or derive from video games, or other popular media. Of course, this is provided that the sprite is original, not directly tracing or "copy/pasting" components from said media, although even that seems to have gotten by at least once.

as long as the sprite is original it should be fine.

https://dragcave.net/trickortreat/dragonlady86

https://dragcave.net/easter/dragonlady86

I have everything from both events, you will notice more references in the Easter eggs, but there are still quite a few in the treats as well.

Wait there is now an option to submit a sprite for the trick or treat event? Count me in!

Just sent in my entry attempt not too long ago. I hope it looks like it's Halloween-y enough lol. Didn't really want to try something cliche like a ghost or a black cat tbh XD

Just sent in my entry; did a few things with it that are not my expertise, so I won't be surprised if it gets denied, but having it sent in feels nice.