Valura

Badge for subscribers

Hello everyone,

my proposal is to have a badge for subscribers. Why? I've seen purely cosmetic rewards for people who financially support a game make supporting it more attractive. 

A badge would yield no advantage, so it wouldn't make the game pay to win, or make it so people feel like they need to pay to stay ahead.

As far as I'm aware, anyone who uses Dragon Cave without blocking the ads supports it, and the subscription is just a way to block the ads while still supporting the site.

And generally, I think the incentive for supporting something should be something one wants to support, not an unrelated reward one gets for doing so.

I absolutely agree with Mewtie. But if you want to show you subscribe - make a badge and put it in your sig.

I don't support this at all - there are many here who would like to subscribe and couldn't afford to. I am not interested in making them feel bad that they can't - which is all such a badge would achieve. It's just a "look at me aren't I great" badge. Something to show off. No thanks.

Yeah, I agree with the above comments. I don't think anyone should be rewarded for helping out of the goodness of their hearts. It's not really helping if there's an incentive, is it? Like you said: it's purely cosmetic. It doesn't add anything to the game. Even if it's just a small badge--it's a small badge that you have to pay to collect. One of the main things I like about DC is that those who pay and those don't are essentially the same. There are no super special dragon breeds or features that can be unlocked with money, like so many other games have these days.

I do see how this could be seen as a small thank you to supporters for what they do, which I'm guessing was what you intended with this suggestion, but I just don't think it would really be seen that way once added to the site. 

Edited by The Dragoness

While I completely agree with what others said, I'll add another 'no' reason here: There is no such thing as 'subscribing' to this site. It just doesn't exist. I *believe* what you are talking about is the ad-removal subscription, which is specifically to remove ads while still giving the site the income it would usually get from the ads. That's the only subscribing that's possible on DC, and there is certainly no reason for a badge for that. You already get a 'reward' for it, which is not having to see ads all the time. You give money, you get something in return, the removal of ads. Doesn't need anything else. Also the subscription page makes it fairly clear that users will never get anything else:

An advertisement removal subscription is a paid service that removes all advertisements from Dragon Cave pages, for a fee. This is the only benefit to a subscription; you will not receive any exclusive eggs or any other benefits aside from an ad-free browsing experience.

2 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

One of the main things I like about DC is that those who pay and those don't are essentially the same.

This is the nub of it.

You don't need to read below if you don't care about an analysis of why I get why you feel like you feel, and why it isn't a necessary concern. As I've been concerned about it in the past. But I promise it really isn't necessary and/or there are other things you can do to make just as much of an impact. Also agree, go make a badge on your own (or have someone make you one) and share it! Link to the Donation thing if you want, but keep it positive, not coercive.

I subscribed to DC for a over a year. Sometimes it was continuous, and some months it just depends on extra income I did or didn't have.. I highly recommend it to anyone who can afford it (and/or donating $$ sometimes if not) if you use this game a lot and this is a primary form of entertainment for you and/or you want to show support and the money isn't an issue. What I do wish people who would stop apologizing because they cannot and going on and on about how bad they feel. It was set up because people asked for it. Not because TJ is looking for the money and/or needs assistance sometimes to keep this game going. He has said repeatedly he does not. I don't know how much more firmly this concept can be communicated.

I also used to play on a free game. I am pretty sure there was a donate option for this too. Plenty of people did it, but there was nothing special you got. I have also played on games where I paid. And there were LOTS of perks you got if you paid. And the amount of money people put into this game really bothered me. I mean even when I had a lot more money to freely spend. One of the reason I am still here is because this isn't like that and there isn't an "underground economy" (I use the term "underground" loosely as it was well advertised and the game was quite OK with it being used since they made even more money with it, even vicariously), and it is one of the reasons I am still here. I don't like what it does to the games and the people who play them. I tend to find the player base is a lot more mean and a lot more entitled and a lot more bullying and a lot more ..... there is certainly a caste system. And there are other things that go down like people doing things to rub the egos of the mods including inappropriate things that impact the game play too by getting special favors, attention, perks, etc.

You really want to increase the number of people who donate if they are able? Increase player engagement. The more engaged a player base is with a game, the more that those who have inclinations to donate will donate. You will also grow the player base, the retention of that base, and the happiness of that base, etc. Or get involved with and support that it if you don't know how to directly do those sorts of things. Be nice to players and help them out. This player base already does a lot of that, and it also keeps people much more likely to stay when they join and/or hang around longer and/or value this game a lot more enough to get to that point if that is your objective.

I used to have to be more concerned about the affordability of the game and TJ not getting the perks of this game. I also got really pissed off about all the fangirling over TJ when he "had a wife and a kid" or more because I did not get the inside joke of the whole Lady Lyzar totally being TJ's wife. (No She is not his wife and it is a funny story.... but sometimes I really miss the punch lines). I promise you, this game created when he was a teenager or younger teenager is a nice resume and/or talking point. He graduated from a very nice school and seems to have to have a pretty decent to nice job. Not that he can't have potentially better money in the future and that his life is glowing roses, but he is doing OK. If the game really needed to do more to support itself issue, I'm sure there would be more incentive to donate and/or that would be shared, but for now, we are good.

People also don't need to necessarily "be making tons of money" to justify keeping a game free. There are lots of other perks to running and/or hosting these things. One of my free games I played for a long time was done by an Internet Provider because at the time it was a nice community gesture and it didn't take up a lot of their resources because most of their other resources were coming from hosting adult themed sites and just had some extra bandwidth and resources that it was fine. It wasn't an income stream for them and never was designed to be. It had its own Benefits of looking good for the community. Most people actually never knew this and for the few who did, the Admin had the right attitude, "And the problem is what?"

So I think TJ is doing OK, I think TJ will continue to be OK for a long time, you will have to believe he gets some benefit from being an Admin on this game for this long otherwise he wouldn't be doing it (even if it is 1000% altruism), so after a long essay, we don't need to convince or encourage non-game perks for donating/subscribing. I would still subscribe if I didn't play this less than what other resources I use more for entertainment that take up of my discretionary funds. So just be a nice person or an engaged person and/or help contribute to the game in a way that is positive and not negative and that is as good if not better than money. Believe me, people freak the heck out over badges. But we totally support if you want to start a movement where you make a sig/banner and put it in your sig with a link to the subscribe/donate thing, write about the benefits of it or how awesome it is to support (I believe very strongly in monetarily supporting the online platforms and services I use, probably a lot more strongly than some people who grew up with the "good content is always free," and may have noticed the changes and true underlying costs to that model, why it can not be sustained, hence, again, why I support it), and have that personal badge that others can use link to the info about it. That is awesome to do and share on your own. If it is cool looking, you may find a good group of people who adopt it too. People love using their signatures to show off banners and links and badges to things they support. You don't need an artist or an Admin or a Mod to wait to approve and draw you a badge and implement the coding for that thing. Just do it. It is what I did with trying to get more player run events.  I feel it has had a overall very positive impact. Just do it.  You don't need anyone's special permission on a lot of things. Just go for it. TJ never said you couldn't personally advertise in your forum sig/profile that you can't advertise that you support the game and/or donate. You just don't get a game special feature (of any kind) and cannot try to force, coerce or make others feel bad they do not. Does that make sense?

TJ and this game are OK. Of course, I always will always say, if you enjoy something, really enjoy it, and especially if you have the money, then.... donate. Or do something. Give back or you could find out that all the people one day just disappear and the game just "isn't what it was" and everything is gone one day. I find that most "free" stuff that was on the internet that used to be great are having issues because people took it for granted that it was free, didn't support it, and now are shocked its gone, or they have to pay now, or other things. This game doesn't seem in any danger of really ever doing that, but I also believe in you need to put in at least a bit of what you get out, and you can do that in a lot of ways. This game wasn't set up on a platform that doesn't own itself so there is less of that being an issue. So there is a large difference between this free game and other free internet things that have more problems these days.

Edited by Natayah

It's 2 am so a short answer is all I can give. 

The argument about creating a caste system is one I can understand. So I understand now why you don't want this. 

The point about player engagement was great too.

It seemed like an obvious good idea before, now I get why not. 

Making a "badge" in the signature... Is a great idea, actually. I'm not an artist, though. I think I'm gonna try and put a link in my Signature tho, linking to the page where you can subscribe/get adds removed. 

So I'm gonna withdraw my suggestion. 

Posted (edited)

I feel like a badge in-game wouldn't be appropriate for the reasons listed above, but I would support the idea of making something that could be put in a forum signature or even something listed under the forum avatar. If you're proud of donating, there's no reason to hide it - as long as you're not shaming people who don't/can't.

I don't think an image or link in the signature is really any different than those used by others like "if it has a face it has a name", or "inbred shelter" as I see on HeatherMarie's signature. It brings awareness to the group/option/cause/etc without denigrating those who don't share in the group/option/cause/etc.

Edited by Twimm
more content

1 hour ago, Twimm said:

I feel like a badge in-game wouldn't be appropriate for the reasons listed above, but I would support the idea of making something that could be put in a forum signature or even something listed under the forum avatar. If you're proud of donating, there's no reason to hide it - as long as you're not shaming people who don't/can't.

I don't think it should be possible to put that under your forum avatar as that would make the badge an official part of DC. As long as it's private and only part of the signature, I'm fine with it.