Malurosa

Lineage Ideas

1. Vampires should show up on the lineage of bitten dragons.

2. The lineages of inbred dragons should be so that dragons don't appear multiple times in one lineage.

3. Maybe a family tree, which would be an option to show all the dragons related to a certain dragon?

Part of the appeal for some players that breed inbred dragons is that the same ancestors show up multiple times. And others *want* to see if there are repeats so that they can avoid picking up an inbred dragon. If you don't want to see repeat dragons, you don't have to inbreed.

1. There is already a suggestion about this:

2. No - a lot of us like to build lines like this: https://dragcave.net/lineage/TuZkb

3. The easy way to do that is to pick the "youngest" dragon and set up a group for it, and all "all dragons from the same lineage". It will only show the ones you own, as you don't have the right to view everything on other people's scrolls. For that yu just need to look at a lineage page.

How would that work though? There'd just be a gap where the inbred dragon and its lineage would be? No; that seems like it's be abusable in a way that simply deadlining isn't, like trying to pass off a Prize as lower gen than it is.

2 hours ago, Keileon said:

How would that work though? There'd just be a gap where the inbred dragon and its lineage would be? 

This. I can't even imagine how it would be implemented. Lineages are shown in a specific grid-type way, I can't imagine how repeated dragons could be taken out in a way that doesn't look ridiculous and basically negate the nice neat lineage layout. Here is one of my recent inbred dragons, look at all the cells that would be empty if repeats weren't shown, it'd basically leave the entire top-half or bottom-half empty:

testest.thumb.png.5b07e14bcaaf799daaefe2f74d7d8158.png

I kind of want to know, why would this idea be wanted? It would mean that lineages wouldn't *be* accurate lineages, really. If someone can't stand the way an inbred lineage looks, they can release the dragon or kill it or, yunno, just not collect it in the first place. Altering the way a lineage is shown significantly alters the purpose of a lineage, imo.

The idea would be that if an inbred dragon's lineage age viewed, the dragons that would show up multiple times would only appear once, with the dragons who are parents to multiple ancestors of the view dragon, would have multiple lines coming from the pairing, to each of the dragons.

That sounds very confusing and I don't really see the point of it.

Yeah I'm not even sure if I understand that properly and what I do understand of it sounds like something that I neither want nor think TJ will accept; anything that implies that inbreeding is bad or less desirable is usually shot down on principle.

They mean something like this, normal left , proposed on the right where the parents are siblings:

inbeed.png

I would actually really prefer the changed version, it would make it much easier to see the inbreeding and exactly how it is inbred , HOWEVER

I am not in support because 

A) It would require an overhaul of the lineage view maybe, I'm not sure 

B.) there are many inbred checker lineages that would be ruined by this as they would just turn into planks

In a perfect world, I would have asked for an option in account settings to perhaps have a 'simplified lineage view' that showed lineages like that as it would be useful for creating historical inbred lineages but that is too much work probably, so as of now the current lineage view is fine as if it were to change there would be too many problems

6 minutes ago, Dohaerys said:

They mean something like this, normal left , proposed on the right where the parents are siblings:

Ah, I see, and that might work okay for a single case of inbreeding, but what about a hot mess like this: https://dragcave.net/lineage/HQ8jG 

http://www.allureofnds.net/NDER/Inbred.php?dcode=HQ8jG&depth=Full&repeats=y

172 dragons repeated as many as 24 times? And in many different generations as well.

Also, as you say, it would totally destroy some of the lovely inbred lineages that people have built. And "optional" is something that TJ has shot down more than once before.

10 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Ah, I see, and that might work okay for a single case of inbreeding, but what about a hot mess like this: https://dragcave.net/lineage/HQ8jG 

http://www.allureofnds.net/NDER/Inbred.php?dcode=HQ8jG&depth=Full&repeats=y

172 dragons repeated as many as 24 times? And in many different generations as well.

Also, as you say, it would totally destroy some of the lovely inbred lineages that people have built. And "optional" is something that TJ has shot down more than once before.

This too, for beautiful hot messes I think it would be really hard to generate a lineage view with all the different inbred relations taken into account rather than just displaying the parents of each dragon in 2 boxes to the right until cb parents are reached (I think that's how lineage views might currently be made? Just plugging in the parent lineage views into boxes on the right until cb parents are reached at which point it doesn't generate two more boxes on the right? I'm no coder this is just a guess, but regardless implementing this new way of displaying lineage could be very difficult to code and/or could be laggy for the site)

Also if we take the lineage @HeatherMarievposted And depict it in the other form

testest.thumb.png.5b07e14bcaaf799daaefe2

The inbreeding actually gets harder to notice at a first glance as before there were chunks of the same lineage repeating that denoted inbreeding whereas now there are only lines that denotenit which is harder to spot (although figuring out how something is inbred is a bit easier in this form imo, not that it really matters though as somehow generating this form would be really laggy I would assume as it would have to check whether it's inbred and then according to that decide how to display the relation)

Edited by Dohaerys

I am not in favor, though its for the selfish reason that it would interfere with the two inbred lineages I have made. They are both stairs, with song lyrics for the names of the dragons. One is Deck The Halls, with each offspring bred back to repeat the "fa-la-la-la". The other is 12 Days of Christmas, where each offspring is bred back to "on-xmas-my-true-love-gave-to-me".

I agree with a previous person who posted, if you don't want to collect inbred lineages, either freeze, release, kill, or abandon them. There's lots of options for those who don't want to collect inbreds.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:45 PM, Dohaerys said:

inbeed.png

I would actually really prefer the changed version, it would make it much easier to see the inbreeding and exactly how it is inbred , HOWEVER

I am not in support because 

A) It would require an overhaul of the lineage view maybe, I'm not sure 

B.) there are many inbred checker lineages that would be ruined by this as they would just turn into planks

In a perfect world, I would have asked for an option in account settings to perhaps have a 'simplified lineage view' that showed lineages like that as it would be useful for creating historical inbred lineages but that is too much work probably, so as of now the current lineage view is fine as if it were to change there would be too many problems

There's actually a bit of a problem here. What if you breed cousins to each other? What would this lineage view look like if you bred a dragon to its parent or grandparent? What would it look like if you bred 3rd cousins twice removed with each other? Things like that. Because not all inbreeding is sibling to sibling.