olympe

Show Influence/Precog Status in Trades

Sometimes, I really wish that eggs/hatchlings in a trade show their Influence status and/or Precognition result. Because, well, it's nice if someone says "influenced female" or "precogged male", but there's no guarantee that this is actually true. While I don't think stating false information is intentional, it's very easy to mess up (mix up eggs of the same breed, for example).

Of course, I wouldn't want everyone to be able to see what any egg/hatchie is influenced or precogged to be, but for trading purposes, this would help to make things flow more smoothly.

And, yes, we'd need a way to accomodate for the fact that Influence on an egg wears off during teleport, and that an Influenced egg might also switch genders from what it has been foretold to be (with Precognition). Maybe by not displaying an Influence on eggs, and not displaying anything on an egg that has been both Precogged and Influenced. (Because, well, in both cases the results are useless and potentially harmful, as they'd display information that might not be accurate in case of a teleport.)

Full support. I've accepted offers of ungendered hatchies on good faith before when asking for specifics and been burned. Some kind of security would be very nice. 

Or letting us use our own Aeons to look at offers on our trades would be cool too if it needs to cost something. 

Not sure how that could work with checking trades of others but I would really like that, too. Traded for an ungendered hatchie for a lineage and... Well, you know.. 

I'd support any kind of checking options. 

Definitely agree with this! As much clarity as possible is great - and then without having to state in the trade box what it's been influenced/precogged, it allows more space to write other stuff :3

33 minutes ago, BrazenChase said:

Full support. I've accepted offers of ungendered hatchies on good faith before when asking for specifics and been burned. Some kind of security would be very nice. 

Or letting us use our own Aeons to look at offers on our trades would be cool too if it needs to cost something. 

This would be my preferred solution.

I support this. Sometimes I really need a specific gender and it'd be nice to be sure about what I'm agreeing to.

That really isn't quite such a need to know thing. Neither one affects anything in a bad way, and once you get the thing, you can test by trying your own BSA dragons on it.

Full support. It's why I generally don't like trading for hatchlings, I have no way of knowing whether they'll gender correctly (according to what I need at the moment) or not. Like this one time back when I was collecting more than just one pair of Zyus... I needed just one male (I think?) yellow Zyu to have a perfect set of two males and two females, and got a hatchling from a trade... and it proceeded to gender female. :dry: And I've had absolutely zero luck with doing genderswap trades so I love this suggestion.

I don't know that a means of showing Influencestatus  would be needed - teleporting removes influence, so I think putting 'this egg was influenced' marker on it would just confuse more people and lead to more confusion/bad trades, with newbies thinking that means the egg will stay influenced in a trade and even older players who don't use the forums much perhaps thinking the rules on influencing had changed. 

Definitely support precog options, though.  I've always thought that Precogging a hatchling ought to make the gender appear on the hatchie's page (the same as if it had gendered naturally) - at that point in its life, its gender is set, so why not just display it?  Eggs could be trickier, since most of them are subject to influencing, but maybe the gender line could read 'Predicted Gender' for uninfluenced eggs, and 'Gender' for influenced or too-low-time-to-influence ones? 

Edited by sorenna

6 hours ago, sorenna said:

I don't know that a means of showing Influencestatus  would be needed - teleporting removes influence, so I think putting 'this egg was influenced' marker on it would just confuse more people and lead to more confusion/bad trades, with newbies thinking that means the egg will stay influenced in a trade and even older players who don't use the forums much perhaps thinking the rules on influencing had changed.

I think the point olympe is trying to make is to show influence for hatchling trades. I agree that for eggs it would be possibly dangerous to put it there (i.e. leading to confusion), but for hatchlings, if we limited it just to precognition, we'd never get to see what a hatchling was influenced as unless the scroll owner also used precognition. (I tend not to use precogs at all.)

Confounding matters further is the effect that if you precog and then influence an egg, the precog unfortunately loses its reliability completely, since once the influence wears off the gender of the egg is re-rolled. That's also true if you precog at 5d, influence at 5d, and then trade the egg(!) at 2d, to add to the headache in the details, i.e. when the egg can't be reinfluenced, but it loses all worthwhile data we had about it.

So I think what we need is this:

- when precognition happens, we can add "Predicted Gender:" to the /view/ page, as you suggested.

- when influence happens, "Predicted Gender:" is removed (if previously present). Nothing is put in its place, but:

- when an influenced egg hatches, "Influenced As:" is added.

- when a hatchling genders, "Predicted Gender:" and "Influenced As:" are removed (if previously present).

think that covers all bases? x_@ Did I miss one?

Edited by pinkgothic

5 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

So I think what we need is this:

- when precognition happens, we can add "Predicted Gender:" to the /view/ page, as you suggested.

- when influence happens, "Predicted Gender:" is removed (if previously present). Nothing is put in its place, but:

- when an influenced egg hatches, "Influenced As:" is added.

- when a hatchling genders, "Predicted Gender:" and "Influenced As:" are removed (if previously present).

think that covers all bases? x_@ Did I miss one?

Very much this.

Edited by olympe