Mulan

more action to dragons

1 minute ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Obviously it would only apply to dragons with wings ^^;

Which could make coding this quite tiresome. Because for a simple cute sentence like this, you'd need to add several dozen and a half exceptions (because Terrae).

Coding morphology-specific messages probably would not be a significant inconvenience, considering the site already has a few morphology-specific behaviors.

Having a way to boost your encyclopedia observations would be kinda cool, actually.

But yeah, something like this would need some kind of utility, and couldn't be something that becomes a chore, like ongoing upkeep for non-growing dragons.

17 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Actually, observing could be another/different bonus to the feature. There are quite a few breeds in the encyclopedia which need a large amount of dragons raised or observed, and adding one observation per interaction would allow long-time players to get some use out of it too, esp if they have lots of dragons who were raised before the encyclopedia and thus need to unlock it the hard way. Allowing relatively frequent interactions is more useful than the once per month per dragon limit on observing your own dragons.

I very much support this. 

13 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Coding morphology-specific messages probably would not be a significant inconvenience, considering the site already has a few morphology-specific behaviors.

Having a way to boost your encyclopedia observations would be kinda cool, actually.

But yeah, something like this would need some kind of utility, and couldn't be something that becomes a chore, like ongoing upkeep for non-growing dragons.

Only problem there: Morphology alone doesn't cut it in all cases. Blunas, for example, clearly have things that are more wings than fins. Yet, they're classified as sea serpents, meaning wingless. Dorsals have vestigial wings - yet are classed as wingless. Shallow Waters, which are sea serpents, don't have anything remotely like fins (save for that bit on their backs), so paddling with their fins won't work for Shallows.

22 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

As others have said, if this wasn't mandatory, I could definitely enjoy it as a fun little thing. Actions that are by no means necessary to its growth or survival, but are simply a small extra feature, like petting, feeding, observing.

Add some varying flavour texts, such as "the hatchling/[name] happily nibbles at your fingers as you attempt to pet its head", or "as it/[name] sees the treat in your hand, it flaps its wings in excitement", and "you watch [name] from afar as it leaps in the air, attempting to catch flies" and I can see this being adorable - a way to add more flavour and help give hatchlings some added personality to those who would enjoy that sort of thing!

That's super adorable! I would like reading those messages.

20 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Actually, observing could be another/different bonus to the feature. There are quite a few breeds in the encyclopedia which need a large amount of dragons raised or observed, and adding one observation per interaction would allow long-time players to get some use out of it too, esp if they have lots of dragons who were raised before the encyclopedia and thus need to unlock it the hard way. Allowing relatively frequent interactions is more useful than the once per month per dragon limit on observing your own dragons.

Ooh! I like this idea! It can get very tedious hunting dragons to observe if it's a breed that I don't want to raise many of myself, or ones that I mostly raised before the encyclopedia was added.

Like others have been saying, a big part of the appeal of this game is that it's very low-maintenance to play. I absolutely would not want to be required to spend a lot of time feeding and caring for the dragons because I have real-life stuff to do. However, as an optional little bonus it's a nice idea. It would be something fun to do when I do have extra time to spend on my scroll, and if it helped me grow my encyclopedia entries that would be nice, but it wouldn't be a big enough reward to make it seem obligatory.

Also, how about another idea? The Splash BSA doesn't do anything, but if you use it enough you get a badge. Performing these actions enough times could get you some kind of nurturing badge to display.

5 hours ago, olympe said:

Blunas, for example, clearly have things that are more wings than fins. Yet, they're classified as sea serpents, meaning wingless. 

Amphiptheres, actually.

Dorsals have vestigial wings - yet are classed as wingless.

Morphology-specific messages don't have to mention something silly like the lack of wings, just give them another action of approval like jumping up and down or something.

Shallow Waters, which are sea serpents, don't have anything remotely like fins

Their feet are pretty finlike if you ask me, and they can certainly paddle with those.

Quite frankly I think it'd be be neat to have a message like "They bob their heads", plural, for 2-headeds, and maybe something jokey for the joke breeds.

Though I do personally think there are better QoL things to focus on than an entire new system that's almost all flavor text.

Edited by Shadowdrake

20 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Morphology-specific messages don't have to mention something silly like the lack of wings, just give them another action of approval like jumping up and down or something.

Exactly lmao - I only meant my earlier comment as an example of something that could be said to give a bit of flavour. While I don’t think morphology-specific comments would be too difficult to include, it would be pretty easy to include a neutral comment to cover all bases. Like “it licks its lips as it devours the treat you offer it”, or “it chirps happily as it wolfs down the food”. Doesn’t have to be mega-convoluted. 

3 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Exactly lmao - I only meant my earlier comment as an example of something that could be said to give a bit of flavour. While I don’t think morphology-specific comments would be too difficult to include, it would be pretty easy to include a neutral comment to cover all bases. Like “it licks its lips as it devours the treat you offer it”, or “it chirps happily as it wolfs down the food”. Doesn’t have to be mega-convoluted. 

That seems like a good idea. Maybe - taking into account all kinds of variations, we could come up with some hatchie flavor texts and assign them to various body types. Plus maybe some generic ones. This could include...

• Two-headeds: Both heads fighting for the treat / eyeing each other to make sure the other one isn't trying to steal theirs
  • Flapping wings (not for Eastern, Wingless, Sea Serpent, Wyrm)
  • Licking its snout after devouring the treat / looking at you with puppy eyes after eating the treat / rubbing its head against your hand in thanks (generic)
  • Almost twisting itself into a knot in pleasure (Wyrm, Eastern, Sea Serpent)

"petting" action ^^ to hatchling and adult dragons, i imagined that what it will look like ???^^

sounds adorable ^^

Doesn't need to be petting. Just... any random interaction. From petting to feeding treats to actually "spar" with a hatchling or ride an adult or just plain *play* with a dragon. (Probably not playing fetch with anything but a drake, but you get the idea.)

On 8/22/2019 at 10:33 PM, purplehaze said:

I wouldn't really mind having some of those things added as long as they are not required for game play so I wouldn't be obligated to play with my dragons for instance -- not something I have any desire to do. With over 10,000 grown dragons on my scroll I really wouldn't have time to interact with them, feed them, etc. I expect them to be self-sufficient once they are grown! XD

On 8/23/2019 at 6:01 AM, purpledragonclaw said:

I can see doing this to tie into a trophy, but not as a must-have mechanic for keeping our dragons happy.

These say how I'd feel about it. I've nothing against it as long as it is never ever something that directly affects game play. I wouldn't be remotely interested in taking part, and would be mightily annoyed if such stuff gave actual advantages in play, which would effectively mean one had to spend time on what I'd call unnecessary frills.

17 hours ago, olympe said:

Doesn't need to be petting. Just... any random interaction. From petting to feeding treats to actually "spar" with a hatchling or ride an adult or just plain *play* with a dragon. (Probably not playing fetch with anything but a drake, but you get the idea.)

yep, that's interesting ^^