Dame_Jedi

Proxy Detected

Is there any way to close off  the proxy then ? But it is odd that it also happens in the library - on THEIR computers....

Hiding yourself.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/proxy-server 

Proxy means "substitute."

A proxy lets you go online under a different IP address identity.

You don't change your Internet provider; you simple go online and search for "free proxies" or "list of proxies" and you will get several websites that provide lists of free proxies.

It's really that simple to find proxies, just like you order shoes, movies and airline tickets online.

It's (ahem) also how you can watch youtubes that announce they cannot be viewed in your location and stuff....

Well I know that my IP address is never static but that's just how the ISP provides it. It jumps my location all around Montana where I live, but I'm in no way hiding myself online. No VPN or anything. Just an adblocker and malwarebytes plus my antivirus software which is McAfee and I've already checked it to see if its hiding me somehow and its not.

Warning is still there and I'm doing nothing to make it appear. 😕

Edited by Fateweaver

@Fuzzbucket

Nope no private windows for Firefox, and after digging into the Firefox settings this is what came up:

DLVuagm.png

Also went into my computer settings and same thing:

7DNtDSb.png

So neither my browser nor my computer had a proxy set up but still whatismyproxy.com and DC is reading me as using a proxy. -_-

Then your ISP must be using one. Or your router.... Do you never get it showing for any other website ?

@Fuzzbucket

The ISP assured me several times that they weren't using one at all but Centurylink is known to lie to its customers. Not the best rep but the only ISP I could get sadly due to location.

I dunno how to check if my router is using one.. 😕

And nope no other website except DC or actively checking it on whatismyproxy.com shows that I have one somehow.

23 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Hiding yourself.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/proxy-server 

It's (ahem) also how you can watch youtubes that announce they cannot be viewed in your location and stuff....

Ah, sorry, I missed this post. Thank you Fuzz!!

This is an incredibly strange occurance. It's definitely not anythink funky you've toggled with in your account settings...?

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare

@RealWilliamShakespeare

I wish it was something that simple. I've honestly never fussed with anything in the settings really since buying the computer a year ago so everything is still virtually stock as it comes in box. 😕

The question no one here seems to be asking, and that will probably quickly give an answer to why this is happening, is how Dragon Cave even decides that you're using a proxy. I'm going to take a stab that it is probably not basing this on the X-Forwarded-For HTTP header, because proxies don't always set that.

Which really just leaves looking at IP addresses on blacklist services (BLs) with separate proxy IP databases. The thing about those is that sometimes, IP addresses will end up "misfiled" - especially if it's a dynamic IP. Did someone else run an open proxy on that IP previously? The IP is now yours? Doesn't matter, the IP is still in the blacklist, and the site will think you're using a proxy, even though you're actually a completely different physical computer.

If we know which blacklist service Dragon Cave is using (assuming I'm not completely out of my mind with my deduction), you can file to have your IP removed from the blacklist service, though.

TJ checked the individual IP address, though. It showed an open proxy.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

TJ checked the individual IP address, though. It showed an open proxy.

Yes, he said "multiple sites [...] list [Fateweaver's] current IP as an open proxy". This is a/k/a blacklist services have the IP address listed as a proxy.

The thing is, as I just explained, that's not the same thing as it being an open proxy. (Though I do encourage Fateweaver to do a virus scan on their computer to make sure they're not trojaned and their computer is being used as an open proxy behind their back. But having a dynamic IP that was previously assigned to an open proxy seems more likely to be the culprit here.)

Gotcha.

Fateweaver has run AV and malware scans.

Hey guys! Sorry its been a day and a half. xD Busy busy.

But yeah I've run Malware and Antivirus scans and even ran another one after pinkgothic suggested it to be sure and neither program brought up any warnings at all.

As of today the warning is not present so maybe this IP address is solid? I'm still not sure what to do in lieu of this issue. I firmly remember my old computer before it died about 6 months ago never had this issue with this site while still running the same net service.

This just showed up today on my page when I signed on, and I'm a little confused; mostly because I haven't changed my modem, when I use my neighbor's connection, it doesn't show up, and I have never used a proxy as far as I know. The only thing I can figure is somehow it got messed up during the day (We apparently lost power a few hours before I got home).

Is there a way to get rid of this message, and get my ability to at least click my own eggs returned?

Here is a discussion about this problem, maybe you can find something that helps:

Thank you--I just found it and am reading. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that my modem will 'switch' IPs when reset (such as when I lose power). If that's the cause, there's not much I or other users with the same problem can do until DC decides to recognize us again, I guess (I have no control over what IP the modem picks up when it comes back online).

I've just come home to this problem today myself and was directed here.

Like Fateweaver, I personally have not done anything to push my computer into using a proxy.

BUT:

I also have Century Link

I came home to find that the power had cut off about four hours ago--which means my modem would have had to re-establish a connection, and it does jump from IP to IP when it has to reset. (There is also major construction as they put a new housing area in behind my neighbors across the street.)

When I use my neighbor's connection, I do not get that message (so it's not account related).

Everything on my computer is up to date.

I use Chrome and Windows 10.

This is sounding more like an ISP issue to me. I'm wondering if Century Link changed something on their end that is negatively affecting Dragon Cave. I had an issue with my ISP (Comcast) that was never resolved and only affected the forums.

No idea. Like above, it's not on my computer; scans, checking proxy settings, anti virus and add block programs, etc show that I am not using a proxy. If it's an ISP issue, then it means that the company itself has decided to use ISPs that mask where an inquiry is coming from, and if that' the case, we as DC players can't do anything about it. The only other issue I can imagine it might being is for those of us who use add block programs, if that is somehow triggering the 'proxy alert', so to speak.

Out of curiosity, although I suspect I already know the reasoning, does anyone know why Dragon Cave is set to limit proxy users?

Ah sorry for not responding for awhile. IRL has been keeping me away for the most part. -_-

Its definitely got to be an issue on CenturyLink's part then, despite me calling the ISP and them swearing vehemently they're not doing anything that would cause this. >->

I'm sorry you're suffering it now too Arianthe!

Honestly the warning itself isn't even an issue its when the warning is active we can't give clicks or views back to other uses who click us in turn. Which with the hatching sites isn't so bad as that's mostly handled for us.

To me it just feels like I'm not being fair to my fellow players that I can't give and can only receive.

10 hours ago, Arianthe said:

No idea. Like above, it's not on my computer; scans, checking proxy settings, anti virus and add block programs, etc show that I am not using a proxy. If it's an ISP issue, then it means that the company itself has decided to use ISPs that mask where an inquiry is coming from, and if that' the case, we as DC players can't do anything about it. The only other issue I can imagine it might being is for those of us who use add block programs, if that is somehow triggering the 'proxy alert', so to speak.

Out of curiosity, although I suspect I already know the reasoning, does anyone know why Dragon Cave is set to limit proxy users?

I think it helps detect multi scrollers, and also people viewbombing can be more easily spotted. Stuff like that.

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I think it helps detect multi scrollers, and also people viewbombing can be more easily spotted. Stuff like that.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figure, too. A preventative measure.

Oh well. Day three and I'm still getting the message; I even reset my modem to see if that would fix the issue by forcing my connection to grab a different ISP. No such luck. Guess I'll just have to borrow my neighbors isp for a little while when I want to provide clicks, etc. (Yes, they know I do this sometimes because I've had other issues with connectivity before, and I don't stay on their network for long. ;) ).