Shokomon

What Art Programs Do You Use?

I am trying to find a good pixel art program for my Android, when it got me thinking...

There are plenty artists on this site, so what do they use?

So, what do you use for digital art? Why? What programs do you avoid?

And if you don't use digital art programs, why not?

As for me, I just use Microsoft paint. It's free with my computer, I've been using it for years, and I'm cheap. (lol) 

Works great for pixel art though.

On my phone, I have a program called Sketcher (free version 'cause I'm cheap.) It's a simple program. Good for scribbling, but not so good for much else. 

Oh, and the default memo app that let's me scribble too. It lets me manipulate images and the sketches separately in the same file, but it can't save the file as images.

Now, what about you all?

Edited by Shokomon

I used to use Paint Shop Pro before it was bought (and essentially destroyed) by Corel. That was a very long time ago XD

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I used to use Paint Shop Pro before it was bought (and essentially destroyed) by Corel. That was a very long time ago XD

Aw that sucks.

Do you use anything now?

1 hour ago, sh20000sh said:

I use Corel painter for something I would do on paper, and Aseprite for pixel things.

Aseprite?

21 hours ago, Shokomon said:

Aseprite?

This one. Ease for making something animated. Sadly I actually almost never done 'proper' pixel art thing though.

I use photoshop but I recently heard about GraphicsGale which is apparently good for pixel art and is free! Sounds like it's at least worth a try. 

I mostly just use GIMP. :o It's free and I've got really used to drawing on it, not to mention it has those convenient settings that make my lineart smoother. I'm not sure how well I'd manage with other art programs though since I use a mouse for drawing and it seems like quite an inconvenient tool. I do have a tablet though, but it has no pen pressure and in general I've still just kept using the mouse instead.

Edited by Cottoncat

The few times I've tried pixel art, I used MS Paint once upon a time.

As for other programs while I was working with other things digitally ... I used the Chibi Painter on chickensmoothie a lot a few years ago, I really enjoyed it, and I still do. It's just that it won't work together with my old tablet anymore (my tablet is about 10+ years old and it's not possible to update it to be compatible with the browser).

I'm also very fond of Paint Tool SAI and used to live with it when I was working digitally ... Alas, my old computer crashed and now I have a iMac instead, so it doesn't work for me now. Which is sad, since I've got so many old illustrations that I was working with and didn't have time to finish. Now I really don't know how I should manage to finish them ... Other than sitting at my parent's house, borrowing one of their PCs, installing Paint Tool SAI there along with my tablet.

So these days I really don't work much digitally anymore. It's not that I hate it. I actually love it, I simply don't know what program would work best for Mac along with my old tablet (I don't really feel a need to buy a new tablet until mine breaks, perhaps at the most give it to my mother and buy a new one for myself, since mine's really good for beginners).

The few times I have been working digitally these days it has been in Adobe Illustrator since I've been focusing on some graphic designs for logotypes lately.

Instead my love for working traditionally has increased once more and I've been painting and drawing more traditionally than what I have for many, many, many years. I still feel like a beginner since I haven't really been working too much traditionally in terms of learning techniques and such over the years. So I'm trying to teach myself that right now.

For one thing I've tried exploring my acrylic paints a lot lately and my attempts of trying to become better with them looks like the attached photo shows.

I don't know how long it will take me to finish the painting though, it's the largest one I've made so far (it's 50x50 cm), but still, my love for traditional work is really what I love the most right now.

Perhaps it's simply getting my hands filled with paints that makes me feel such a great joy about it right now. Or that I love mixing the paints and feeling the canvas texture underneath my fingertips.

58886353970__55A532E1-4323-419A-BA77-29B8F070E4EF.JPG

Not much of an artist, but when I have to edit anything or do pixel art I just use paint.net.