MoonlightEevee

Raffle Consolation Prize

This is not my own suggestion, but from someone on the Tumblr Confession page. They talked about how there shpuld be a consolation prize of 100 shards if you did not win a prize. It think that would be pretty nice. Thoughts? Ideas?

I can't see it helping much... And I'm not that keen TBH. You don't get a consolation prize just for entering in any other lottery.

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You don't get a consolation prize just for entering in any other lottery.

Not true. My mother actually ran a charity lottery once where even drawing a blank did get you a tiny trinket (just a few cents worth, with a ticket costing 1 Euro).

I kind of see both sides to this. 100 shards is an entire week of work just for raising three dragons (nine shards usually) and hitting a button. That's (possibly) 1,200 shards in a year--which is an extra 1,092 after you subtract the three dragons raised each month. That seems somewhat high. But from the other side of it, I do agree that getting something might alleviate the frustration of not being drawn month after month though. So I guess my final take is that I think no more than 100 shards is fair. Maybe even 50-75 would be better.

Edited by The Dragoness

I could see this... ESPECIALLY IF Prizes were also available in the Market and you could save up those Consolation prizes toward s a purchase of one, someday. 

Since they are currently NOT...well, I can see both sides of this arguement. No strong eelings one way or the other from me.notopposed but not STRONGLY in favor of either. THOUGH yu could still spend those extra shards on other dragons, I suppose...

1 hour ago, JavaTigress said:

I could see this... ESPECIALLY IF Prizes were also available in the Market and you could save up those Consolation prizes toward s a purchase of one, someday. 

Since they are currently NOT...well, I can see both sides of this arguement. No strong eelings one way or the other from me.notopposed but not STRONGLY in favor of either. THOUGH yu could still spend those extra shards on other dragons, I suppose...

I couldn't agree more if I tried. :) 

A random amount up to 100 seems preferable to me. I'm not too supportive of it though.

It'd be fun if it was, like, runner-up prizes. Like, if you're not guaranteed to win shards just for entering, but a larger percentage of entrants would win something. idk what the percents are for the Prize drawings, but if after that it was like, an additional 5% won a purse of 300 shards, 10% won 200, 15% won 100. Then probably a few months out of the year you'd win something, even if it's just a boost to save up for a new Silver.

Like, right now I ignore the market 99% of the time because I know every 100 shards I spend is another week of waiting until I have enough to get a new Gold egg. If I got a little extra spending money every now and then, I might actually use the market for other things from time to time.

Not very interested in this idea, honestly. #1, you can't buy Prizes in the Market, which makes the 'consolation prize' pretty worthless to many people, especially if they already have everything from the biomes/Market already. #2, while we don't know the actual stats on raffle entries and such I'm willing to bet there are a *lot* more losers then winners, even with the new scaling change. The idea of *everyone* who didn't win (possibly hundreds of people every single month) getting more shards every single month for not doing anything except entering and losing... That seems like overkill imo. I mean that will be a *ton* of 'extra' shards being given out every single month. (I might feel more comfortable about it if the shard amount was much lower, like just a little handful of shards, but 100 is much too much imo.)

No support. I understand the intention, but prizes are not in the market. If they were, I would support this. But, right now, there are people who don't use the market at all because they either have everything or they just don't care for it. It's like saying, "Sorry you didn't win the raffle for this painting. Here's a brush. You can paint your own thing if you want." 

We had HM prize dragons once. That was the best option. Next to that, everything else sort of pales in comparison. 

Eh, I don't see the "Honorable Mention" that let you pick some dragon you want being incredibly different from "Here's some shards, buy a dragon you want." tbh, giving a handful of shards to a few entrants is just a less complicated way of having something like HMs in the current raffle system.

But HMs were a SPECIAL dragon. You could have past CB holidays - something that is now available but wasn't then.

But good point - if we can't buy prizes in the market, we are no further ahead.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd absolutely love it if this were to be implemented. I'm a regular raffle loser ever since they were first held, and I die a little inside every time I see the "sorry, you didn't win" message every month. It feels more like "Haha, you **** loser, someone just won their third Prize and you STILL get nothing, you ugly piece of **** !" than whatever it's trying to be. 100 extra shards would certainly soothe that regular pain, I have everything except Neglecteds and I hoard two breeds of dragons -- shards would never be useless to me!

48 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But HMs were a SPECIAL dragon. You could have past CB holidays - something that is now available but wasn't then.

But good point - if we can't buy prizes in the market, we are no further ahead.

Not only that, but you could influence CB hollies to be female... And get CB alts/hybrids. :wub: 

49 minutes ago, Sazandora said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'd absolutely love it if this were to be implemented. I'm a regular raffle loser ever since they were first held, and I die a little inside every time I see the "sorry, you didn't win" message every month. It feels more like "Haha, you **** loser, someone just won their third Prize and you STILL get nothing, you ugly piece of **** !" than whatever it's trying to be. 100 extra shards would certainly soothe that regular pain, I have everything except Neglecteds and I hoard two breeds of dragons -- shards would never be useless to me!

I've never won either - but I still can't see the point.

I don't think 100s- of not maybe even 1000s of players should get 100 shards each month as a consolation - I agree that it seems a bit overkill as there would suddenly be a lot more shards inserted into the playerbase each month - although who knows, perhaps the playerbase generates a lot more than that much each month so it may not make a significant difference to the rarity of shards.

I really do like and prefer Stromboli's suggestion, where a much larger percentage of people who didn't win a prize get a purse of shards, it seems  like a nice alternative as it could still be a pleasant surprise, and the larger quantity of shards given out could be more significant in cutting down on saving times.

Edited by Dohaerys

39 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I've never won either - but I still can't see the point.

Well, it'd at least be better than a big fat load of absolutely nothing (except for an incredibly condescending message) for months upon months upon months. Sure, some people might not have any use for shards -- but then there's lots of people who DO have use for them.

Edited by Sazandora

I've not won either and it is disheartening to see the "sorry, you didn't win" notice month after month, but this really doesn't help the people get what they want, which is a prize. It also alters the market gameplay if there's an influx of shards every month. And what about the people who just missed the raffle or didn't enter? They get no shards or prize. Raffle entrants shouldn't get special treatment because they lost. 

Honestly, I won't care either way if this implemented, but this is really an apples and oranges fix.

I mean, you have to play the game to win. I don't know how it's "unfair" that people who don't enter won't get a shot at a Prize or a consolation prize.

But this also isn't a suggestion to make it easier or more likely to get Prizes, so if that's the angle folks are coming from... yeah, this doesn't "fix" the problem you want it to. It's a different  feature enhancement altogether.

I think it'd make the raffle more fun to win a little something now and then, versus never winning anything. And like I said, I think I definitely would use the market more if I had alternate means of getting shards. Right now, if I wanna buy a Honey Drake because I rarely manage to get 'em from the cave, that'll put me back 4 weeks of savings. But if one month I got a little windfall of extra shards, I could treat myself without throwing off my savings plans so badly.

@Stromboli 100% agreed. I went through the effort of saving up shards for a market Gold, even though there were so many other things that tempted me to just give up and blow all of my shards on things that tickle my fancy. I could bother trying to save up for another one... if I could have a small boost to my shard count every now and then, so I wouldn't be set back for months every time I get frustrated with bad luck and go waste my shards on whatever I was trying (and failing) to catch.

I never said it was unfair for people who didn't enter to not anything. But giving people consolation shards gives them an advantage in the market over those who didn't get them. Sure, it's not a trade advantage like people who have prizes get, but still an advantage.

And while this isn't a suggestion to increase the chances of winning, it's still relative to the raffle itself. If it's called a "prize consolation," I'm gonna correlate it with prize dragons.  Again, I just think it's not doing anything to improve the raffle (except for maybe morale). 

I think it's a nice idea. It's something for everyone who loses over and over and over. It isn't taking away from anyone else, either. Nor will it affect trades. 

It's a nice thing. Let's have nice things.

35 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

I never said it was unfair for people who didn't enter to not anything. But giving people consolation shards gives them an advantage in the market over those who didn't get them. Sure, it's not a trade advantage like people who have prizes get, but still an advantage.

And while this isn't a suggestion to increase the chances of winning, it's still relative to the raffle itself. If it's called a "prize consolation," I'm gonna correlate it with prize dragons.  Again, I just think it's not doing anything to improve the raffle (except for maybe morale). 

Pretty much agreeing with all of Jazeki's posts. 

I get that it's frustrating/disheartening to see that 'no win' message every single month (I see it too!), and some people would obviously like to win *something*, even if it's just shards. But- and this was talked about extensively in yet another Prize-related thread not too long ago- it's not what people are entering for. Shards are *not* why people enter the raffle. People enter the raffle for one reason only: To get a CB Prize dragon. There are plenty of people who would *not* like a 'consolation prize' that has absolutely nothing to do with Prize dragons. If the Market had Prizes it would be different, but it doesn't. If the 'shards' given out as consolation were really 'tickets' that you could save up every month you don't win, and eventually buy a Prize dragon with them, that would be different. But shards are completely separate from winning a CB Prize, they don't *help* anyone towards what they *actually* enter the raffle for. 

4 hours ago, Jazeki said:

No support. I understand the intention, but prizes are not in the market. If they were, I would support this. But, right now, there are people who don't use the market at all because they either have everything or they just don't care for it. It's like saying, "Sorry you didn't win the raffle for this painting. Here's a brush. You can paint your own thing if you want." 

Very much agree with this, as per my last paragraph. 

(Also, again, just how many extra shards will be given out every single month?? It's one thing to toss a couple extra shards to someone once in awhile, but to give a full week's worth of shards to *everyone* who didn't win... Market dragon prices would most definitely have to be tweaked to accommodate the new influx of shards.)

2 hours ago, Sazandora said:

except for an incredibly condescending message

Condescending? Perhaps you could suggest a different message that would irritate you less? YOU DIDN'T WIN maybe? Direct and not pretending to be sorry at least.

I personally could find a use for the shards (I still need 4 CB Golds for my scroll goals after more than 10 years playing this game), and I have never won a prize, but I still don't think shards for everyone who doesn't win is a good idea. It's a raffle. You win or you lose. Perhaps a few consolation prizes of a few shards -- but I think shards for everyone is overkill.