olympe

Egg descriptions in Dragon Encyclopedia

We have a lot of dragons on DC. And, sometimes, it's really hard to memorize all the egg descriptions out there - in my opinion, this is a vital part of playing successfully. Which is why I'd like to be able to refresh my memory by using the encyclopedia. I know there are inofficial off-site resources *cough* dragoncave wiki *cough*, but I'd really appreciate to do it on-site.

Maybe we could view the egg description, at the very least, once all sprites of a breed have been revealed in the encyclopedia?

It seems to me that TJ has nixed this in the past, or at least including the basic dragon breed description in the encyclopedia, but I join you in wishing for it! I too often forget an egg's description when it is a breed I haven't hunted in awhile. I usually look for one of the appropriate breed in the hatcheries and view it there to refresh my memory, but it would be a lot easier just to go to the encyclopedia.

I'm all for adding the egg descriptions and basic breed descriptions to the encyclopedia. It has never made sense to me for the information not to be included. What else is an encyclopedia for?

I despise using the wiki because it is not mobile friendly formatting and that is my primary way of accessing the internet. 

Same, I'd love if egg descriptions were added to the encyclopedia. Because presumably if you're putting all this observed info into an encyclopedia that you build on as you're egg grabbing, putting down what egg you're picking up for that exact dragon would be part of that.

There is no reason to have to rely on an outside, fan made source to figure out what egg you are getting. I can't keep up with all the egg descriptions. It doesn't necessarily need the exact description, but something for people to be able to figure out what to look for. For example, white dragon: "The eggs are kept meticulously clean".

2 hours ago, Wookieinmashoo said:

There is no reason to have to rely on an outside, fan made source to figure out what egg you are getting. I can't keep up with all the egg descriptions. It doesn't necessarily need the exact description, but something for people to be able to figure out what to look for. For example, white dragon: "The eggs are kept meticulously clean".

While I completely agree with this suggestion - we should NOT have to rely on an outside source to see them all - I personally don't think synopsising the descriptions like this would be a good idea. This could become very confusing for people if they're looking for that changed description and can never find it.

I fully agree that egg descs. should be in the encyclopaedia tho!

16 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

While I completely agree with this suggestion - we should NOT have to rely on an outside source to see them all - I personally don't think synopsising the descriptions like this would be a good idea. This could become very confusing for people if they're looking for that changed description and can never find it.

I fully agree that egg descs. should be in the encyclopaedia tho!

The alternate description would be for if TJ is ultimately against adding the actual description. As in, here's an alternate idea. Obviously I would rather have the actual description.

I would not mind having this!  Even if it were something we had to unlock by managing to catch X number of them first, rather than 'starter' information, that would be nice.

I'd also REALLY like to see sprites in the encyclopedia labeled with their genders!  That seems like a no-brainer, and honestly I'm kind of boggled that it isn't a thing already. 

It's always male then female, so is that really an issue ?

This would be a lovely idea, to me an encyclopedia is were all information discovered or currently know is located

I'd like to be able to use it if needed and be like oh yes that's what I'm looking for, especially for someone like me who memory is a bit like Dory and isn't the best at reading haha 

I dont overly mind using the wiki it's a useful resource I appreciate all the work that has gone in to it and I use the which egg is which section a lot just to confirm I've remembered the description correctly or got the biome right before I go egg hunting. This therefore helps enshore I dont pick up an accidental undesired egg, but using multiple sites multiple tabs it would be nice to have everything in cave, and find what I need just there

I wouldn't mind working for it even, for example catch several eggs over time and the encyclopedia will record it, from a lore point of view after raising so many of those eggs your character could and would of learnt what the egg will of looked like and therefore reconise and record said information so to me it makes sence I could just see it

Oh yes  " This egg is a lush green hue " that must be a Tereae dragon, boom sorted I'll collect 8 haha :)

Edited by Bloommist

I think this would be great. As mentioned above, if the encyclopedia and scroll is meant to be us recording down information for dragons we raise, it only makes sense that an egg description would be included in that. Especially since catching/trading/picking up eggs is such a vital part of the game... it doesn't really make sense to have to go off-site for that info once you've already picked up that egg before, in my opinion.

This comes up often, and every time it does I agree.

Not everyone has great memory.

7 hours ago, Shokomon said:

This comes up often, and every time it does I agree.

Not everyone has great memory.

Me, for example. Quite often, I need to look up the egg descriptions I see in the cave. There are just too many to remember them all - or so it feels to me. (Or is it just me getting old?) Not to mention that there are holiday egg descriptions you only need for 1 week out of 52. Also, it's not like egg descriptions are supposed to be kept secret any more, and we do have that inofficial DC wiki, too.

Agree hard with this. And want to add on as well that it gets harder and harder to remember what egg is which as we get more dragons in the game; there is a limit to how much we can remember!
Also seconding the idea of 'we are already recording things'- it always struck me as strange that we take meticulous notes on the hatchlings, the adults, and sometimes their diet, behavior, appearance etc etc but straight up forget to write what the egg looks like.

Agreed. +1

I remember many of the OG Dragons, and some of my favorites regarding the newer ones, but otherwise I usually have to look up egg descriptions on the unofficial Wikia. If they were on-site, maybe I'd have an easier time remembering, because I wouldn't have to keep going to a site besides DC itself.

Frankly, I'm always surprised and disappointed when I click on an Encyclopedia link and find no information at all. I expected this to be much more helpful; it could be, and it should be.

While I'm on the subject, I'd like to take a moment out to give some praise to the Wiki.  True, it might be off site, but it's always there for us with the important information we need. Even new release information appears surprisingly fast and I appreciate that greatly.  Yay Wiki!  (y) :D

I consider myself pretty good at memorizing egg descriptions -- or, at least, the ones I want to memorize. XD Outside of that, I sometimes have my moments of temporarily forgetting what egg had what description again, so I think it'd be quite useful to have them in the encyclopedia. Especially with how some breeds have very similar descriptions.

I normally only hunt biomes for new releases or rare-ish things to trade, which means I really only know like 10-20 egg descriptions on-sight. It also means I'm hopelessly lost if I suddenly need to hunt for an unfamiliar breed. I definitely rely heavily on the 'which egg is which' part of the wiki. It would be great to have that information in the actual encyclopedia (especially on mobile, going to a different website for the info takes way too long on my phone!)

I’d really like to see all parts of the normal descrip in the encyclopedia (ofc I do I made a suggestion about it myself buahaha)

- Helps with finding eggs

- Easy reference for all info (I don’t describe my dragons anymore but when I did, sometimes I’d SWEAR certain parts of the normal dragon info and encyclopedia didn’t match and it was annoying switching between the two checking stuff... or finding things the encyclopedia didn’t cover)

- For the tragically large amount of dragons with no extra info, having descriptions there would at least make it look a LITTLE less barren

I understand the desire to not needlessly repeat info but I think if the normal description was visually separated from the unlockable extra info it’d be intuitive and useful for the reasons above

Support!

I've just returned after almost four years off the site and this would be a BIG help as I have a lot of catching up to do.

(what is this? no sock, no _Z_, no rubyshoes? Does the old Wikia site still have a link? I also need to find a list of our current mods, anyone besides Kaini and Infinis? )