borntobefree

Changing Your sign on nik

This site only shows last FORUM names and loads of players are not on forum. Showing the number is the answer - they never change. You're OK with not knowing whether the name you just saw up trading is the person who scammed you last year ? I'm not ! (There HAVE been instances of people managing to switch out eggs in trades....)

And it's also useful to know if a trader offering you an IOU is someone you trust. Even though they aren't supported.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

On 6/20/2019 at 3:27 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

It has a major impact ion trading; you need to know name history. Sorry to say there are scammers among the players.

And no, there is no recourse. You trade at your own risk That's why we NEED to be able to check all the past names.

could be like steam that shows name history because I know some players change their names like socks.

The issue there is that several people here want their old names to disappear completely. That's why they want this. So no-one will see them ever again - and leaving the scroll numbers visible would allow for that.

Scroll number, like a registration number would never change, and never be hidden, but Yea I'm one of those who changes their online name to match how they feel, I typically go through the same 3 or 4. a history of name changes might be long but if that scroll number flashes up on the https addy then that player would never be hidden, like hovering over the players name would give the registration number on the bottom of the screen or something, makes you identifiable no matter what name you are going by atm.

I know there is a way to switch out eggs, I double and triple check and it has happened twice to me, once just last week. If fact they can switch out your egg as well they took a second gen prize from me when i had offered a completely different egg. I'm at the point where if I don't know the other player I am not trading.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This site only shows last FORUM names and loads of players are not on forum. Showing the number is the answer - they never change. You're OK with not knowing whether the name you just saw up trading is the person who scammed you last year ? I'm not ! (There HAVE been instances of people managing to switch out eggs in trades....)

And it's also useful to know if a trader offering you an IOU is someone you trust. Even though they aren't supported.

Clearly I didn't talk about last forum name.

If you don't want to be scam, don't accept IOU. Like I said, asking the system to support a thing to support another that it doesn't support is just ridiculous. Just like you want to trade bitcoin in a country that doesn't consider bitcoin legal which mean its law doesn't support, then you cannot report for scamming involved bitcoin as well.
And last names doesn't need to be visible on the scroll, can be a line that indicates this person has changed their scroll name, with a link to new page for it is fine as well.
And I support scroll ID too, which should be all time visible, this doesn't conflict with last scroll name feature above so can be both implemented. Just as someone said a name is easier to memorize than a number,

@borntobefreeAs far as I know there is no case in which one can hack your two-ways trade. But if you're sure about that you can send a help in Help sub-forum so the mods/TJ can check for you

Edited by Haki

As it is I don't support the idea of changing scroll name. It sucks, yeah, I want to be able to change mine, but there ARE cases where I want to know who to avoid in the hub. Not just because of scamming, but if someone has a history of taking half a week to accept a trade (it's happened and it's the most infuriating thing ever) then I don't want to offer on their trades. People also have "do not trade" lists for people who harassed them or were rude. But at the same time people would also want their names changed to avoid viewbombers or they simply don't want someone to find their scroll-- this is still made not possible by the ID numbers. There is no good compromise between these two sides.

3 hours ago, Starscream said:

could be like steam that shows name history because I know some players change their names like socks.

Even Steam only stores a certain amount, and I bet it's just to let your friends catch up who is who - and that is if you let them. My shameful name is long gone from Steam and I want it to be gone from the last place that holds it - DC. Nobody knows it anymore anyway, so why on earth should it be still on display? nobody needs it.

Scroll ID number getting visible from the trading section is more than enough, and actually more than a DC player should ever need thanks to no scam possible in trading. Add a blocking system, and everyone will be covered.

And IF things can really be switched like that, then just report it. It's obviously NOT how it's supposed to be and should be imposisble. I still bet it's actually an overlook instead (it's very easy to tick the wrong egg! or accept the wrong offer from a few available), but if it is not an overlook, then it is obviously an instance of hacking and TJ should look into it. Again, it's wrong to make us, legit players, pay for other people's wrongdoings (or mistakes) - just address the offenders instead or fix the exploit if there is one.

Edited by VixenDra

Scams CAN happen in trading. Borntobefree has had them happen.

Scroll names and scroll id numbers are interchangeable, a registration number would work just as a scroll name would, but instead of keeping track of the name you'd keep track of the number, it is the exact same thing, now here in the forum, that's a different animal and not actually part of this discussion which is the scroll name. from what i can understand you can actually change your name here in the forums.

Side note....(I would actually suggest the two be locked together, what ever your name is on the scrolls should be what it is here, changing one would actually change both, as well as once signed up to Dc you should automatically be signed up here in the forums as well, as if its one big integrated site rather than two independent, but I also think all lists and such should be able to be downloaded to your own computer or google docs with excel or such, would make record keeping much easier, as well as ID'ing when people steal eggs. Fuzzbucket is correct, First two times I wasn't really sure what happened I was still very new at this game, but I am certain after these last two. Also I don't really count IOU skippers as scams, just dirtbags, lol. Haven't really been stung by one of those yet.)

NOT supporting forum name having to be the same as scroll. MANY of us (including me) have them set to be different just so that people can't come to the forum just to track us down. Nor can you have people auto--registered to be on the forums as well - there are kids playing in the cave whose parents won't allow them on forums, and also some countries actually BLOCK forums, and that could have nasty side effects.

12 minutes ago, borntobefree said:

Scroll names and scroll id numbers are interchangeable, a registration number would work just as a scroll name would, but instead of keeping track of the name you'd keep track of the number, it is the exact same thing, now here in the forum, that's a different animal and not actually part of this discussion which is the scroll name. from what i can understand you can actually change your name here in the forums.

Side note....(I would actually suggest the two be locked together, what ever your name is on the scrolls should be what it is here, changing one would actually change both, as well as once signed up to Dc you should automatically be signed up here in the forums as well, as if its one big integrated site rather than two independent, but I also think all lists and such should be able to be downloaded to your own computer or google docs with excel or such, would make record keeping much easier, as well as ID'ing when people steal eggs. Fuzzbucket is correct, First two times I wasn't really sure what happened I was still very new at this game, but I am certain after these last two. Also I don't really count IOU skippers as scams, just dirtbags, lol. Haven't really been stung by one of those yet.)

Yep, no scroll username history is needed if there are ID numbers. Just blacklist the IDs instead of display names. Ta-daa, all potential purpose of scroll name history access is defeated. And I get back to trading freely. I can't even trade on forum anymore, because my scroll name is not only displayed but also associable with my forum name - RIP.

As long as viewbombing is possible, noone will ever agree to be forced to have the same scroll name as the forum... though visibility of scrol name on trade links honestly defeats quite a portion of the purpose of that... if you're a target to a viewbomber from the forum, all they need is to have a look around for your trade posts if you're trading... tada, they know your scoll name now. Still, it's not that easy to find you, good luck finding mine since I don't trade because of it...

Idk what fuzz says, I Ignore them, but, 2 things:

first: hard to believe without proof - there have been plenty of claims "I did/didn't x but I have the result": and in the end it is proven that the user actually did otherwise just forgot/missclicked/didn't notice (e.g. "I Influenced this egg female but it genered male" but actually either used the male Pink or made a mistake in the password and insta closed the tab or sth like that or actually forgot to Influence bt planned to and believed they actually did it), second: if you believe something like this happened, why didn't you report those cases to TJ, since those would be either a site's error/glitch(meaning noone did any offense against you, and you were both victims) or a hack/exploit - in both cases, if you didn't even report that, you shouldn't complain now, and forget using this as an argument against or for a suggestion/feature because it's definitely not an intended game behaviour and it should be looked in by TJ and fixed instead.

Can you change the title of the topic to be a little more clear?

"Changing your sign on nik" doesn't make sense to me, at least. Maybe like "Changing your scroll's nik" or something? 

As for the actual subject on hand, I'm ambivalent. 

I would greatly appreciate being able to change my username. I joined DC in 2015 so I'm not the same person I was when I came up with that name. It feels childish and bland now. I would like to have some variation of my forum name as my scroll name instead. I do agree that having a list of past usernames kind of defeats the point of allowing users to change their usernames at all--if someone is avoiding a viewbomber, RL enemy, stalker, etc., I don't imagine that they want that person to just click their scroll and find a list of every username they've ever had. Obviously scammers could use this to their advantage, but having an account number listed would allow the fair players to remain protected while the scammers are remembered. 

Also +1 to changing the title. I opened this and thought it would be about forum names, which can already be changed.

I would love to be able to change my signin name, as I made my account back in 2010, or later, I forget but a very long time ago. And I used my dead name for it, I have been trying to remove my dead name from things I use alot. I hate seeing it now, because people still use my dead name for legal purposes....
Even once a year or two years or so being able to change names would be lovely.
And people can say "scammers" all they want. But here's the thing, other games like Flight Rising is doing just find and you can change your name there for a fee or just wait for a certain amount of time and you can change it and your elemental flight.
So why can't we change our names here even just a one time change in the history of ever would be awesome.

I fail to see why this couldn't WORK in a manner similar to the way the name changing on forums.

You can change the name, but previous names are still visible/accessible to others for ID?

I could ALSO see something like a scroll ID number working well, too. THIS could EVEN be shown on the hub. ( Possibly in place of the scroll name?)

3 hours ago, JavaTigress said:

I fail to see why this couldn't WORK in a manner similar to the way the name changing on forums.

You can change the name, but previous names are still visible/accessible to others for ID?

I could ALSO see something like a scroll ID number working well, too. THIS could EVEN be shown on the hub. ( Possibly in place of the scroll name?)

Big fat no to scroll username history access again. IDs do all the job. It's nothing but nosy to demand that acces when you have IDs. The game itself allows no communication unlike forums, so scrollname history access is TOTALLY unexcused, again, especially with scroll IDs.

27 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

Big fat no to scroll username history access again. IDs do all the job. It's nothing but nosy to demand that acces when you have IDs. The game itself allows no communication unlike forums, so scrollname history access is TOTALLY unexcused, again, especially with scroll IDs.

DO our scrolls currently have IDs? If they DO then perhaps that would be the way to go.

It would need to be made visible in some way  As I am not even sure HOW to find the ID number for my scroll if it has one.

At said, it IS true that the forums are different in that they DO sort of require direct interaction with others ( That is sort of their point!) while one's scroll doesn't and , indeed doesn't allow it!

My only concern IS that a mixed up mess of numbers might be harder to remember than a name.

Yes they do.

http://dragcave.net/user/568421

You can find it in one of you DC cookies.It could be made visible, I'm sure, and would then mean we could track people even after they change their names.

32 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes they do.

http://dragcave.net/user/568421

You can find it in one of you DC cookies.It could be made visible, I'm sure, and would then mean we could track people even after they change their names.

Because everyone not only puts down the scroll (and maybe forum) names of the people they trade with, but also the person's account number on both sites. Easy-peasy.