borntobefree

Changing Your sign on nik

I've checked the search bar and can not find a thread about this topic.

Its a bit disappointing that we can not change our sign on niks. Like many many other sites from gamer sites to official government sites once you sign up and have everything established you are able to change you sign on information. Often the one you always use is already taken and it takes time playing around with it in order to find a permutation of your nik you can log on with, so many people sign up for sites like Dc with a quickie password or nik to get through the signing up process and then they go back at their leisure to make it more personalized only to find out you can not change it now, you are stuck with something you often don't really like.

DC does not have the option to change you nik, some people even like changing their nik over time, what you like one year might change a couple years down the road. Sign up information and the ability to change a reconsidered nik need to be enabled. The Goddess knows I never would have picked mine for DC If I had known I would never have the freedom to be able to change it.

Is there any way to make it possible to change a nik on DC and the forums, that way we can make them mesh better as well

Do you mean nik as in nickname (on the forums) or scrollname (the link to your scroll)? (Or both?)

You can change your nickname on the forums, but not on the actual DC site. To change your forum nickname, hit the drop down arrow next to your username at the top left of the page -> Account Settings -> Display Name. You can change your forum name every 90 days.

I'm referring to the Dc name on your scroll, but just like you can change your name on the forum every 90 days if you liked you are stuck with whatever is on the DC board, it should be able to change.

4 hours ago, Cinspawn said:

Do you mean nik as in nickname (on the forums) or scrollname (the link to your scroll)? (Or both?)

The scroll name

This has been requested every now and then and the general consensus has been a mix of "technical difficulties" and "being able to see what someone's name was to avoid trading with bad traders vs not being able to see for privacy". The latter case is one without a good compromise, so things have stayed untouched.

@TJ09   It might be a smart thing to change the page where you sign up for an account to include a warning that scroll names cannot be changed.

@Fuzzbucket That was one of the things that i was going to suggest!

As for privacy, other than TJ knowing the ip address, so nik changes do nothing to disguise you, The option to keep your nik private really doesn't have any baring on if you can change your nik, You can still change it every 90 days if you wanted for your own gratification, no one would see it anyway. Personnally I like the Niks I usually use, been using them for over 20 years and its my online personna. Especially when its a game play site.

btw, Is there any recourse on bad traders?

It has a major impact ion trading; you need to know name history. Sorry to say there are scammers among the players.

And no, there is no recourse. You trade at your own risk That's why we NEED to be able to check all the past names.

1 hour ago, borntobefree said:

@Fuzzbucket That was one of the things that i was going to suggest!

As for privacy, other than TJ knowing the ip address, so nik changes do nothing to disguise you, The option to keep your nik private really doesn't have any baring on if you can change your nik, You can still change it every 90 days if you wanted for your own gratification, no one would see it anyway. Personnally I like the Niks I usually use, been using them for over 20 years and its my online personna. Especially when its a game play site.

btw, Is there any recourse on bad traders?

42 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It has a major impact ion trading; you need to know name history. Sorry to say there are scammers among the players.

And no, there is no recourse. You trade at your own risk That's why we NEED to be able to check all the past names.

What Fuzz said. This topic has been talked about multiple times, with some people insisting that being able to change your scroll-name will not affect anyone else in any way, and then others come in and point out that a scammer being able to randomly change their name in order to continue scamming is very much something that will affect other people. Some people have had seriously bad experiences with other users, with trading and other things, and would like to not have to interact with that user. A brand-new name with no way of checking the past name would make that very difficult.

So heres the problem, on Dc you can hide your scroll name correct? My question here now would be does the name have to be unhidden in order to trade? Because if it does not have to be unhidden, to trade then how would having their name be locked help in any way? Scammers don't need to show a scroll name so the whole argument over needing to know who you are trading with to prevent scammers is actually irrelevant. anyone know if the hiding scroll name settings stops you from trading? Some experimentation is in order, lol.

{Side note....Sounds more like there actually needs to be some recourse, if there will not be any recourse then locking the name change on DC is pointless. Now if there was a deadbeat list people can view and know not to trade with such people then locking the names serves a point. Hide you scroll name and change your sort order is all you need to do to disguise yourself from those who you've previously scammed (actually i would think it depends on the hide scroll name info settings) btw its like the th time its happened I tried to trade a second gen prize and ended up getting a 4th or 5th gen, htf does that keep happening! i think someones hacking some codes to switch out their eggs, gahh.}

Oh and explain to me what checking past names means? is this your own filing system? Do you have a private list somewhere only you can check? Is that what checking past names means? If so why should your own personal game play style impact my own personal game play style, its a one for one both being equal. So restricting one players freedoms for one other players convenience isn't right. probably why this keeps coming up. Its a matter of freedom of play versus a convenience of play.

Edited by borntobefree

When you trade your scroll name WILL show. It has to - you get the name showing on the trade page:

image.png.543c1e9f86bc3fe89bee02dd0a501b1f.png

That happens when you have a private trade up too. 

There is not and never will be a blacklist. You remember for yourself. And there is EVERY point locking the scroll name. I know exactly which scrolls I will not trade with. But I will not share that with others, and as far as I know it would be against the rules to do so. Nor is there any recourse. Just as when you go shopping, you do so at your own risk. And I need to see past names so that I can be sure I don't deal with that person again under a new name.

It has nothing to do with freedom of play or impacting on the play of others. If I have a bad experience on ebay I won't buy from that seller again. (Yes there I can leave bad feedback - but if I as a BUYER play foul, a seller cannot leave bad feedback about me.)

As to your 4th gen experience - ALWAYS check the lineage before clicking accept. That's basic to all trading.

Actually, you can't scam anyone by trading on DC, the only scamming method involves IOU - which is NOT an official trading method, you can't even offer IOUs via this forum, unless privately via PM, and IOUs are impossible to make purely in-game - without the forum messages. I'm face-palming really hard whenever I see this nonsensical argument in the topics related to SCROLL name change it's no longer funny.

The only in-game trade mthod is a TWO way trade. One ways are always IOU in nature, even if there's just a few seconds between the one ways (which are not even reffered to as trades in the game itself). One ways are offically a gift method, not a trading method.
Also, oncethe dragon leaves your scroll, it's no longer yours. You can't actually impose any "rules" on the recipient, and evenif they do what you didn't want them to do with THEIR dragon, you have no right to call them scammers as they broke no SITE rule. If you're a control-freak, it's your personal problem and the rest of the playerbase should not be limited by your problem.

Also, if a blocking system was introduced at the same time, even that last imaginary problem left would be resolved (like simply not wanting to trade with person X for whatever personal reason, if you even knew their SCROLL name that is, because claiming one-way you don't reveal your scroll name to the gifter, and doing what one pleases with now THEIR dragon is NOT an instance of scam but your demanding them to follow your whims is unreasonable and not supported anywhere in the game), not to mention much more effective than some paranoic manual blacklist checking.

And another method to check if it's the same person coudl be to introduce scroll NUMBER instead of username as the ID. People who like blacklisting people could simply lead their lists via the scroll numbers instead of usernames and everyone would have what they want.

But some just prefer to live in a denial of facts just to have it their way and stick their noses in other people's business, and go on with their unreasonable demands to have access to people's personal stuff like full username history they do NOT need, or at least, do NOT have the right to demand the insight to.

You may have use of the forum username history (IOUs, and simply because there's the communication system on the forum) but that's it, the FORUM! Wish those people would either just finally open their eyes or just stop pretending that their SCROLL username access demands are valid, because they are NOT...

I'm just so sick of this. I regret I had a peek at this forum again...

I won't probably live to the day when I'll finally wipe out my shameful scroll name and be finally able to trade and comfortably. Because of some nonsensical claims being shouted around.

Edited by VixenDra

As the OP has pointed out - you can indeed be scammed on a trade. They were. And ebay, amazon etc allow you to see full name history - as does this forum.

But if you hate your name so much - start over with a new scroll (be sure to tell TJ.) You have rigged it so no-one can see it anyway.

Wile washing my dishes i actually thought of the registration number, something that can't be changed and is open to everyone to see. IT really is no ones business what I have on my scroll, even my sign up nik shouldn't be anyone's business. now a registrars number, which shows up that can't be changed would satisfy those who have personal blacklists. A site issued code that shows pp if you have complete privacy settings, really don't want people seeing my complete scroll either.  It would allow you to offer trades and be identified by those who are looking out for people they don't want to trade with, but doesn't allow for them to scan your scroll or know who you actually are.

@Fuzzbucket I always check the lineages, and it still happens very very rarely but it does. Someone(s) using coding to switch out eggs.

Start over with a new scroll?! no way i have way to much invested in this scroll, not loosing all those dragons! Now if we could trade adult dragons as well as just eggs and hatchlings then I'd make a new one and transfer over all my exisiting dragons but thats more like multi scrolling which is a big no no no

~double post merged~

29 minutes ago, borntobefree said:

Wile washing my dishes i actually thought of the registration number, something that can't be changed and is open to everyone to see.

What registration number? If you mean the scroll one, while it exists I'm pretty sure it's hidden; if you mean the one before your username in the link to your profile, that doesn't apply to the site. Forum and site are entirely separate and just because something is the case here doesn't mean it's on the site.

35 minutes ago, borntobefree said:

Start over with a new scroll?! no way i have way to much invested in this scroll, not loosing all those dragons! Now if we could trade adult dragons as well as just eggs and hatchlings then I'd make a new one and transfer over all my existing dragons but thats more like multi scrolling which is a big no no no

I meant Vixendra, who has been saying how much she hates her scroll name for as long as I can remember.

6 minutes ago, Keileon said:

What registration number? If you mean the scroll one, while it exists I'm pretty sure it's hidden; if you mean the one before your username in the link to your profile, that doesn't apply to the site. Forum and site are entirely separate and just because something is the case here doesn't mean it's on the site.

I don't think we can see other people's scroll numbers. You can find it in your dc cookies - but I think remembering who is user 1950679 is rather harder than avoiding "BertanErnie" (I did test that and no scroll came up....)

1 hour ago, borntobefree said:

Start over with a new scroll?! no way i have way to much invested in this scroll, not loosing all those dragons! Now if we could trade adult dragons as well as just eggs and hatchlings then I'd make a new one and transfer over all my exisiting dragons but thats more like multi scrolling which is a big no no no

oh so the user I Ignore told me to start over? Pffffttt No thanks, DC is a nightmare to achieve anything in, I have an average of 4 zombies per subtype out of 5 which is taking me YEARS of active trying (I even dare say I might be among the top zombifiers gamewide...), not to mention 5 CB NDs, selfbreeding all those frozens(still ! missing self-bred sitting alt Black), expanding all those progenies... (while I don't have any trading power like a CB Prize - which I wouldn't non-PB breed anyway even if I had any) they just have no idea what they are talking about!:/ Yes, I did think about a new scroll, I'm not that non-creative to not think about it - I do use a second forum account after all exactly like this but with forum I lost nothing, and, no, it's not doable with the scroll, not with the way DC is. Sorry, but if I'd ever decide for making a new scroll, I'll just leave DC instead. Which is difficult as hell to let this game go after all those YEARS of work and still missing things to achieve my simplistic goal of 5 per breed/alt... Ironically, the bad and frustrating things of DC (I mean the so called "challenges" like the pathetic success rate of the undeads, Neglecteds, and some others - like rare is good but those are just unreasonably ultra-rare) are actually the reasons to stay here at the same time... It's just stupid and unsensitive to suggest a start over to anyone who had achieved anything here...

And to their knowledge, it's the scammers who are probably starting over or simply multiscrolling anyway and they are probably trading with some of them themselves and don't even know when they do! Scroll history access and lack of scroll name change is only harming valid players instead of the supposed targets.

Edited by VixenDra

Support the ability to change name and heavily disagree with the 'just start over!!!' argument. I've spent the better part of a decade building my scroll, I'm not going to dump it (also, if I'm not mistaken that in itself could be seen as multiscrolling, which is against the rules!). I would, however, love to be able to change my scroll name as I chose it a loooooooong time ago and haven't used that UN anywhere for nearly as long.
And for the 'scamming' argument; if a scammer is that interested in being a turd, they aren't going to have second thoughts about multiscrolling and cheating. Tracking names isn't going to help out much when the other party just jumps to another scroll....

Ideas for changing names could be: purchasable on the market for a large amount (idk, something like 10k shards) so that people can't change names every other day, or name changes could be purchased via Real Money in the same way ad blocking is.

An idea for tracking name changes that could fit in lore- when someone has changed their name, the line ' You pick up the scroll labeled “x,” and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them' could have an extra line after saying something like 'You notice the previous crossed out names for this scroll', with the bolded section being a link to a small note of their previous names, if tracking name changes is that important!)

Edited by Haloclimb

I are, the scammers probably have two and three scrolls, the whole argument about trying to not trade with people you have singled out for what ever reason just doesn't hold water, over time online personas change, I may have two or three personal online personalities i want to alternate through, and two of them are for personal spiritual reasons. (my spirituality changes by season) It has the affect of changing how I live my life both IRL and in our net reality. Personalities are always in flux, from year to year and day to day, and being locked into a specific name just does not garner an enjoyable playing experience.

There really is no good reason to locking the ability to change your nik, and for those who haven't paid attention enough I'm talking about the scroll name on DC not here in the forums, where apparently you can change your nik here. which in my opinion is stupid, both the forum name and DC names should be the same thing, as in if you change it at Dc it should change here automatically, and vice versa.

side note:......oh and there should definitely be a blocking feature, lol. So that you just don't see some peoples posts, and they shouldn't be able to see yours with such a feature either.

I think the best idea so far is the id number. If our scroll numbers are visible there would be no need for a 'see previous username' function. Introduce the visible scroll number feature first so people have time to save the scroll numbers of people they want to avoid on their notepads, then enable username changing. It's a compromise between people who really don't want to show their previous name(s) and people who need to identify others.

8 hours ago, Haloclimb said:

Support the ability to change name and heavily disagree with the 'just start over!!!' argument. I've spent the better part of a decade building my scroll, I'm not going to dump it (also, if

It wasn't serious; just that for one individual who has been SO upset for SO long, it did seem a solution to her pain.

4 hours ago, SkyWolf25 said:

I think the best idea so far is the id number. If our scroll numbers are visible there would be no need for a 'see previous username' function. Introduce the visible scroll number feature first so people have time to save the scroll numbers of people they want to avoid on their notepads, then enable username changing. It's a compromise between people who really don't want to show their previous name(s) and people who need to identify others.

Good point - if BOTH were visible ON SCROLL, that works.

11 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't think we can see other people's scroll numbers. You can find it in your dc cookies - but I think remembering who is user 1950679 is rather harder than avoiding "BertanErnie" (I did test that and no scroll came up....)

As long as the scroll is not hidden, using the account number in place of the name will lead you to their scroll. E.g.

https://dragcave.net/user/358719

leads to my scroll and thus tells you my username (as if you didn't know already :lol:)

Basically, there needs to be a way to check with hidden scrolls. Hiding the contents of a scroll is a bare necessity every now and then, sadly, but we should be able to see its envelope or something ...

Full support! I'd love to change my scroll name as the one I have is very outdated.

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

As long as the scroll is not hidden, using the account number in place of the name will lead you to their scroll. E.g.

https://dragcave.net/user/358719

leads to my scroll and thus tells you my username (as if you didn't know already :lol:)

Basically, there needs to be a way to check with hidden scrolls. Hiding the contents of a scroll is a bare necessity every now and then, sadly, but we should be able to see its envelope or something ...

If you are trading with the other scroll, you can see the name etc. That's the important bit.

Fully support changing name feature.

I completely agree with the argument "No one can scam you via pure DC trade". Just be careful, checking what they offer on 2-ways trades. The only way ppl can scam you is with IOU which the site (and the official forum) does not support. Why should the sire rule be implemented in a way to support another feature it doesn't support is something I can't understand.

Anyways, if ppl insist on being able to track other name then a way to check one's last scroll names onsite is fine I think.