TJ09

2019-06-18 - Official Dragon Cave Discord

13 hours ago, TJ09 said:

The bot has been fixed and you can use the same registration link to try again.

Thank you, it worked now! :)

Just a quick question for you discord users: Is the discord server down for you all? I am stuck at the log in page, where it's trying to connect, on both mobile and windows 10 laptop. 

3 minutes ago, Astiana2011 said:

Just a quick question for you discord users: Is the discord server down for you all? I am stuck at the log in page, where it's trying to connect, on both mobile and windows 10 laptop. 

Discord is down rip https://downdetector.com/status/discord 

I think the privacy issue is a non-starter. I don't put private information on Discord - it's for game info and chat. I didn't start my discord with my primary email account; I have a separate email for games. Is Discord or the servers gathering more than my email, what I post, and possibly IP addresses? If that's all, I think my privacy is safe. Some hacker gets my sparkly frufru game info, oh well.

If there's more to it, yes, I'd like to know.

11 hours ago, stardust13 said:

I think the privacy issue is a non-starter. I don't put private information on Discord - it's for game info and chat. I didn't start my discord with my primary email account; I have a separate email for games. Is Discord or the servers gathering more than my email, what I post, and possibly IP addresses? If that's all, I think my privacy is safe. Some hacker gets my sparkly frufru game info, oh well.

If there's more to it, yes, I'd like to know.

If the current political arguments and/or climate bother you, there is an understanding that those who run discord (the program, which collects everything from those who have discord servers and/or log into them, whether they want it or not) give over any and all information they can get from you (and that is across all discord servers, and all sites that log into them if you are using the same log in on more than one Discord server, and/or your Discord server is tied to a community that has a special link and/or Twitch sub required to join, so there are links there) to a group of people of certain political/philosophical beliefs without any restrictoions, so if you were to ever to voice an opinion about anything in the universe, it would be tracked, shared, and that info, should it be determined you were a "not very nice person" or a "wrong person" could/would be used to come after and take you out, however that is chosen to be done. From Public Sharing of All your Personal Info, to other potentially more aggressive actions.

So as long as you are on the "correct side" of whatever the "correct side" is determined to be at that day.... If that ever changes, then you could potentially be in a lot of trouble no matter how simple or meaningless any comment could be. Remember that on DC people talk about "racism" that dragons have, or "killing various species" or other things that could be considered "violent and hostile words" if it was misunderstood or taken out of context and was stated as if directed towards various people/persons vs. pixel dragons.

So you can research that and take that how you want it. I don't like Discord and I still use it for DC, but I really need to stop doing that cuz these things make me highly uncomfortable as it is. I loved IRC, but I get that IRC wasn't nearly as active for awhile and many people are like "What is IRC?" and only know of things like Skype, FaceTime, or Discord and don't understand why anyone would use anything else. And I myself haven't been on IRC in years. I just am too busy these days. I got older and the internet marched onwards.

It's in the Discord Code or however it is setup to run. Not something TJ could do anything about.

Edited by Natayah

AND - all the time you are on line, people  on places like discord will also track your IP address, and even if they don't pas it on, there is software that harvests this stuff. (Not to mention the constant spying carried out by Windows 10, which I won't touch; the day Windows 7 won't work any more, I'mm moving to Linux.)

I have certainly posted about my political views in emails. I have signed petitions. I have even posted my views on abortion and euthanasia on this forum. You NEVER know what will become a chargeable offence. Thanks but no thanks. (and I don't NEED to "chat" anyway. I can do as much of that as I want on forum.)

23 hours ago, stardust13 said:

If that's all, I think my privacy is safe.

Connecting data from various sources is one of the major jobs for data analysts.

For example, your IP address at a given time, together with the browser setup (some of which your browser tells any server that asks), is enough to identify you. Use that same setup for banking, shopping, political discussion, and the connection can be made. You can no longer hide behind your nick if someone means evil with you.

The privacy issue is not just an issue with ONE data collector, really. It's the fact that there are plenty of data collectors out there. And data that has been collected can be stolen and abused.

(If you have and use a smartphone, you probably don't need to worry anymore anyway. You can already be tracked and observed in whatever you do.)

- which is one of the many reasons I do NOT have a smartphone !

As someone who holds and is extremely vocal about controversial political views that go very much against the mainstream narrative, I'm not really afraid of any of what Discord logs. Granted, that's just me, but if things really do get bad enough that my opinions become a criminal offense I'm screwed no matter what platforms I use.

So in that vein, I'd rather enjoy myself. :P I'm on a ton of Discord servers regardless, one more won't hurt.

They CAN also mine your credit cards....

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

They CAN also mine your credit cards....

Then it's a good thing I don't use credit cards.

Meanwhile, I am just sitting here, chatting with my friends all across the world on Discord. Since I have nothing to hide or be worried about. Everything you do on the internet, phones, etc are all tracked regardless of how "safe" people may think it is. Even on here it is, so I don't get the worry/defense. If you don't wanna use it, don't. If you don't want people tracking what you do, then you might not wanna be on the internet much, if at all. Lol. Heck, even your movements are tracked in public. Facial recognition is a thing, and if you have a drivers license and all that. I mean, you're in the system. If you have a Social Security Number, you're in the system. Credit Card? In the system. Go to School or have a job?

Etc.

Privacy doesn't exist in 2019. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, XiziX said:

Meanwhile, I am just sitting here, chatting with my friends all across the world on Discord. Since I have nothing to hide or be worried about. Everything you do on the internet, phones, etc are all tracked regardless of how "safe" people may think it is. Even on here it is, so I don't get the worry/defense. If you don't wanna use it, don't. If you don't want people tracking what you do, then you might not wanna be on the internet much, if at all. Lol. Heck, even your movements are tracked in public. Facial recognition is a thing, and if you have a drivers license and all that. I mean, you're in the system. If you have a Social Security Number, you're in the system. Credit Card? In the system. Go to School or have a job?

Etc.

Very well said. Discord is not much different than Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. on that matter. In fact, it is definitely safer from what I have seen through the last two years I have been using it actively. Also never ever met someone who has been a victim of such kind of cases there. Yes, Discord collects user data, but that is much like most other websites on the internet do 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, XiziX said:

Privacy does exist if you are careful about it.

If you are using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. then Discord is probably the least of your worries.  Feel free to use Discord as much as you want because you have already given up on your privacy and you are happy with that.

On the other hand, if you do not use the so-called social networks and if you do not have a smartphone or if (like me) you use the Duck Duck Go Privacy Browser on your smartphone and you have blocked or replaced most default applications by better and safer alternatives, then you are probably someone who cares about privacy.  If you belong to that group of people, then you should think twice before using Discord because they might eventually sell their assets (including your personal data) to a company that will use your profile to do things that you are not comfortable with.

That's why I do not use FB, twitter, instagram or any of them. I do care about privacy - and while I realise that being on line at all compromises it - mass sites that aren't specific to one interest (like this place and the other special interest forum I am) on - are far more invasive. I don't have to give this place - or the other ones I'm on - my name, phone number, location etc. Nor have I. FB you HAVE to, to name but one.

And let us not forget that Windows 10 is a master spy all by itself (no I do NOT have it, nor will I ever.)

But Windows 10 makes sure that you know your information and data will be gathered with the default settings and you can turn those settings off, keeping your privacy safe. Also, overall, Windows 10 is more than twice more secure against outer malwares like viruses and even simpler stuff that can't be detected with antivirus like harmful cookies when compared to Windows 7 (Who can blame it though, it came in 2009) which are actually more dangerous to your privacy because those malwares usually do not care about how legal it is to use what portion of your privacy. Microsoft is at least bound by legalities. Aaand, Windows 7 will even stop having security updates after very early 2020, so it won't be able to adapt to any new harmful malwares at all.

So it is rather a choice of being in the risk against malwares that can steal your privacy and do anything with it or give a portion of your privacy to Microsoft, which acts under the borders of legalities. You can still minimize the data you give them using the privacy settings of Windows 10 though so after that there shouldn't be much difference between the privacy of 7 and 10 anyway. Therefore I find Windows 10 a dozen times more secure than 7. That is unless you are using the internet for like only two or three different websites which you are pretty sure to be safe. Then I'd suggest Windows 7.

Edited by FeatheryWings

Oh trust me, I know how to close all my ports to order and I have all kinds of security software. I was operating with no issues on an XP machine on the side till about 6 months ago, when the processor decided it just wasn't powerful enough for today's internet and struggled so much that I gave up trying. Win10 also has a nasty habit of resetting all your privacy settings with its upgrades.

I haven't picked up a single nasty thing since the days of Win95. When I got ONE trojan from a Word document I had received at work - part of the job, no less ! And I thought it was safe to work at home.... ;) I'd rather manage my own stuff, thanks.

Using Win10 since 2017 and never had my privacy settings reset, except when I had to return to factory settings and therefore they became on because it is the default settings for Win10 🤷‍♂️

Well then if you say so... I'd still suggest opting to another OS, even if not Win10 after the security upgrade support for Win7 ends in early 2020. I think security is really important and you shouldn't ignore it because you didn't have any nasty things since very early. In fact, most of the malwares are designed so that you wouldn't know about them at all even if your computer was assaulted by some. It is a fairly often used method to fish private information of users without them even noticing.

I ran XP for ages after it was no longer supported. My anti-malware programmes are pretty damn thorough, too.

If I ever had to switch, I'd run with Linux. Microsoft already annoy me; Win 10 would be the last straw.

I think we've had long enough to take in the news so I'm going to close this - feel free to join us on Discord!