TJ09

2019-06-18 - Official Dragon Cave Discord

That's is a controller for a console if you ask me made look more like a smiley.

5 hours ago, dragonstar said:

Honestly shocked by the amount of people posting here saying that they don't know how to use discord 😂 Literally every forum that I've been on (which are as old as or older than DC) abandoned IRC literal years ago and have been using Discord or other platforms for a while now, so I have no idea how y'all have been able to avoid it... unless DC is the only forum you visit?

Glad to see DC is finally moving on as well. Maybe now a live chat will finally be active. 

To be fair, we've had an unofficial one created and the amount of people we get coming in saying that they're happy to see a Discord for this site is astonishing. An official one was bound to happen ome day, course I'll still have the unofficial one open. 

@natli we were aiming for a blue DC Logo 

Already a member of the unofficial one, but happy to see this ^^ And I'm much more of a lurker on Discord than an interactive participant; I just join servers for updates and news, never to really chat with others that much. Would be nice if @ everyone is used in it to announce site updates on there (or at least an opt-in pinglist). I usually have Discord running in the background, and this would have me not miss announcements/eggs releases like I sometimes do. XD 

Edited by Natakiro

I waited a bit before writing this because I haven't read many dissenting opinions here, but I am really sad to see an open platform like IRC being replaced by a proprietary platform like Discord. 😢

I know that IRC is old, but it is very lightweight and I could keep my IRC client running for months and connected to dozens of IRC servers without any issues.  Discord in the browser takes a lot of RAM and this is not something that I could easily run 24/7 on a tiny Raspberry Pi or similar low-power devices.  Discord in a mobile phone is also heavier than the IRC client and in addition it collects a lot of information about me.

IRC is open, free and decentralized, allowing anybody to run their own IRC server.  The Discord model is very different, with closed-source servers operated by a private company with commercial interests.  Among other things, I am concerned about the privacy aspects: although their privacy policy states "The Company is not in the business of selling your information," it also says: "In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, bankruptcy, dissolution or similar event, your information may be part of the transferred assets." As they explain in their privacy policy, they record everything that goes through their servers and aggregate it with other sources (this may also include your contacts from social networks if you use Facebook or Twitter). Even if the current owners of Discord have no evil intent, they are in the business to make money and they may eventually sell everything to a company with very low moral standards. Or their servers could be hacked at any time, and who knows that will happen to the data that was collected about all Discord users?

When I play online games, I like to remain anonymous or to use a different identity for each game. IRC allows me to choose a different name on each server that I join and my IRC client (irssi) allows me to have all channels open simultaneously with different identities. But Discord's registration system makes this very difficult.  Using something like Firefox Multi-Account Containers to run several Discord apps in parallel with separate identities is not an option because each tab consumes too much memory (besides, due to the centralized model of Discord, it would be trivial for the company to link all these different identities to each other).

I am probably in a tiny minority here, but I am sad to see IRC go.

Still like the unofficial one better because of NDs creating, help, discussion 😅

6 hours ago, Bugzilla said:

Discord in a mobile phone is also heavier than the IRC client

It really depends on what you mean by heavier.

IRC clients require a persistent connection to *something* that something may be a bouncer or the actual server (though let's be real: in terms of friendliness bouncers are power-user territory), which also means that your phone's radio needs to stay awake to maintain that TCP connection. Discord does not, and instead can make use of GCM or other push services built into phones such that you can still receive mentions and stay up to date even when it's in the background, without constantly keeping your phone awake.

I haven't seen evidence one way or another, but I would be surprised to find that IRC is *better* for phone battery life than Discord is.

7 hours ago, Bugzilla said:

IRC is open, free and decentralized, allowing anybody to run their own IRC server.  The Discord model is very different

If there's a good, feature-ful alternative that's federated and has the same nice properties of Discord (easy to join in, doesn't require a persistent connection, modern UX features that most chats have nowadays like reactions and rich message attachments), I haven't found it yet.

2 hours ago, TJ09 said:

If there's a good, feature-ful alternative that's federated and has the same nice properties of Discord (easy to join in, doesn't require a persistent connection, modern UX features that most chats have nowadays like reactions and rich message attachments), I haven't found it yet.

You don't think https://github.com/thelounge/thelounge or https://www.irccloud.com/ qualify? Or you don't know about them?

Mind, both have their problems and I wouldn't necessarily endorse their use (although mostly for the same reason I wouldn't endorse Discord, so the more you want your stuff to be like Discord, the more they're going to suit you fine). And of course, if you don't want to have to take care of IRC servers yourself, there are lots of networks out there that would be happy to host you. ^_^

Though I'm not really particularly interested in this argument. I wasn't on the Dragon Cave IRC. Just wanted to let you know about the technological possibilities.

I tried to register but I can't : I clicked on the link in the first page, created an account on Discord (I have never used it before), wrote !register in the chat and got a link to log in into my dragoncave account to link it to my discord one. 

But, if trying to log in for the link I get this error message

Failed talking to DCBot. Try again by messaging !register to DCBot on Discord.

7 hours ago, TJ09 said:

It really depends on what you mean by heavier.

IRC clients require a persistent connection to *something* that something may be a bouncer or the actual server (though let's be real: in terms of friendliness bouncers are power-user territory), which also means that your phone's radio needs to stay awake to maintain that TCP connection. Discord does not, and instead can make use of GCM or other push services built into phones such that you can still receive mentions and stay up to date even when it's in the background, without constantly keeping your phone awake.

I meant heavier in terms of memory usage, installed size and battery life.

However, I admit that what I am using is definitely in the power-user territory.  I am not using any IRC client on the phone itself.  Instead, I keep irssi running on my own server (online 24/7) and when I get an important notification I connect to it via a web browser for quick reading or via ssh to have all irssi features (Juicessh on the phone connecting to screen+irssi on my server).  The only thing that I need to install on my phone is IrssiNotifier, a lightweight open-source application that receives push notifications from the irssi client running on my server.  At 2.2 MB, IrssiNotifier is much lighter than the 50+ MB (growing with usage) for the Discord app, it does not require any special permissions and does not try to link my account with anything else.  Three or four years ago I also played a bit with web push notifications from irssi but the web worker was not as battery-friendly as I was hoping for.  Before that, I had irssi sending me notifications via SMS.  That had the advantage that no applications were needed on the phone (perfect for the battery life!) but the SMS gateway that I was using shut down a few years ago and I never bothered switching to a different SMS gateway because IrssiNotifier started to offer more features at that time.  IrssiNotifier+ (5$) can even fetch the context of the messages so that I do not have to switch to another app to read them.

So... Discord on the mobile phone is much heavier (and more intrusive) than IrssiNotifier but my setup is far from what most users would be comfortable with.  What works fine for me would not work for many Dragon Cave players.

8 hours ago, TJ09 said:

If there was a perfect and free alternative to Discord, then Discord would probably not exist (or would not survive for long) so I guess that Discord is the best option if you want something like Discord. 😉

If you accept a less direct type of interaction, then there is Mattermost that allows you to host your own server but it focuses more on threaded discussions than quick chat messages.  There is also Mastodon but it is closer to Twitter than Discord, so again this is not the same type of interaction.

For more interactive discussions including voice and video chat, there is Riot and Matrix but although they are excellent for desktop usage, they are not battery-friendly for mobile usage.  They are easy to set up and they have bridges for IRC and even Discord.  But if it is important to have a solution that has a low battery usage for mobile users, then I would not recommend them for the moment (they are trying to improve the battery usage, though).

If the majority of Dragon Cave players prefer convenience over privacy, then Discord is the best option.  As I said, I am probably in a tiny minority that prefers privacy and does not mind using old-school technology like IRC. 😇

3 hours ago, Bugzilla said:

If the majority of Dragon Cave players prefer convenience over privacy, then Discord is the best option.  As I said, I am probably in a tiny minority that prefers privacy and does not mind using old-school technology like IRC. 😇

Not that I used IRC except for experiments - but privacy is one big reason discord doesn't interest me.

Is there any particular reason I keep getting kicked after a few minutes? I've tried to join twice now and ended up getting kicked both times...

39 minutes ago, StarSea said:

Is there any particular reason I keep getting kicked after a few minutes? I've tried to join twice now and ended up getting kicked both times...

Have you typed !register to link your DC scroll to discord? I think unverified users get kicked.

1 hour ago, Kaini said:

Have you typed !register to link your DC scroll to discord? I think unverified users get kicked.

I wasn't even able to. I had to take time turning on weblink previews the first time so I could even read the rules and got kicked shortly afterwards, and the second time I couldn't connect to discord for a few minutes and came back online to having been kicked again. I can understand kicking unverified users after an hour or so, but after just a few minutes just makes it frustrating to even try to join.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:27 PM, Dalek Raptor said:

Mickey Mouse pants?

Obviously, the Discord logo is a combination of Mickey Mouse pants with a game controller and the Reddit logo... 😉

discord-logo.thumb.png.213f496d78489c58a656d888a8622963.png

5 hours ago, StarSea said:

The invite is marked as temporary, which means Discord itself will auto-kick you if you leave the page without getting assigned a role (i.e. verify your account).

However, once you've started the process with DCBot, getting kicked from the server doesn't break it. In fact, if you rejoin the server for any reason after verifying, you'll automatically get the correct Verified role.

Discord tells me I must "claim and verify" my account before I can send messages in this server. But I have a Discord account (infrequently used). I looked for a help entry and this one seemed similar but the advice given doesn't apply, I haven't got a password saved for discord in my Firefox browser.

I'm going to try and clear all my history and cookies and see if that corrects. If not, should I contact Discord support or has someone here had a similar problem and figured out what the problem was?

EDT: not sure what the issue was that it kept trying to create a new account for me, but I logged out of the ghost it was trying to make, logged in again in my real account from the main page, then tried the link again. I'm now successfully verified.

Edited by Draketeeth

I've tried the !register thing three time now, but each time I visit the provided link and try to login to verify, I get a "login timed out" message. Guess it just doesn't want me there?

22 minutes ago, Nimrodel said:

I've tried the !register thing three time now, but each time I visit the provided link and try to login to verify, I get a "login timed out" message. Guess it just doesn't want me there?

Same here. It also sends me the exact same link again every time I type !register.

2 hours ago, Imago said:

Same here. It also sends me the exact same link again every time I type !register.

I get the same timed out message too, the " Login timed out. Try again by messaging !register to DCBot on Discord. " Even when I get everything done super quick. :(

I am having trouble... I am not receiving my e,ail to activate my account. please help!

11 hours ago, Nimrodel said:

11 hours ago, Imago said:

8 hours ago, Stripey said:

I get the same timed out message too, the " Login timed out. Try again by messaging !register to DCBot on Discord. " Even when I get everything done super quick. :(

The bot has been fixed and you can use the same registration link to try again.