I grab my share of eggs whenever there's a Nocturne wall because I like Nocturnes.

Someone out there might like Neos. Someone might like Blacktips. Someone might like Turpentines. etc

If you're suggesting that wall-makers get banned for playing the game I'm going to give you a hard no in terms of support.

Posted (edited)

No need to ban people because you don't like the way they play. Just wait it out, as Fuzz suggests. Or do what I did and take as many eggs from the wall as you can hold and put them in the ERs, hatch them, and throw them back or give them away. Hatchies are always welcome!

Edited by purplehaze

Yeaaahhh, wanting to ban people because you don't like their playstyle is rather egotistical, imo. Just because you don't like something that's happening in the AP doesn't mean no one does. Plenty of people *like* common walls. There was an 'almost-wall' of Royal Blues a few days ago and I totally would've grabbed every single one if I could've (unfortunately I was actually locked so I couldn't pick up any at all). This game has plenty of different users playing different ways, and breeding to the AP is a completely legitimate way to play. While I sometimes wish something would be coded into the AP itself to allow different breeds to show during longer walls, I certainly wouldn't want anyone to get *banned* just because I don't personally like the way they play!

Maybe we should try for special mass-breeding events - like certain BSA dragons (Red, Pink, Aeon) two weeks before Halloween - and just Reds before Xmas and Valentine's Day where genders are mostly set. I doubt there'd be too many people complaining about that. ;) 

That already happens at times. I was in a general BSA one before Hallowe'en one year. And there was a prize mass breed not long ago.

But yet nobody complained when I had my prize mass breed. Granted prizes didn’t wall but there was a small celestial wall from it. 

I mean, I feel everybody's annoyance at seeing walls lasting days that only contain one kind of cave-blocker - walls that make even other cave-blockers look enticing. But that's what personal breeding projects are for. Found a wall? Get to work on your project(s). No more eggs to breed for your project? Time to start a new one... It sure helps.

Right on. We all have our own play styles. Live and let live. Breed and let breed :lol:

OMG...do you really believe, walls are made just because someone like one special breed? And this is the way how someone plays? Or the answer is much more simple: most of players are making walls just for fun. To proove to themselves, how important they are. Simple as that. I love one special breed... OMG. I have 3200 prize lines. I can mak a wall and I am 100% all will like it. But the wall of Neos with no really nice lines? Yes, then you really are in love with Neos ;) HAWK

Well, there's always the option to do nefarious things to annoying wall eggs. Kill them. Vamp them. Neglect them. Zombiefy them. Name them stuff like "stop breeding these" or "i hate this wall" - and freeze them. Just to annoy the breeder. Maybe they will notice something and stop the shenanigans...

19 minutes ago, MIGOR said:

OMG...do you really believe, walls are made just because someone like one special breed? And this is the way how someone plays? Or the answer is much more simple: most of players are making walls just for fun. To proove to themselves, how important they are. Simple as that. I love one special breed... OMG. I have 3200 prize lines. I can mak a wall and I am 100% all will like it. But the wall of Neos with no really nice lines? Yes, then you really are in love with Neos ;) HAWK

How do you know why they do it ? Have you  asked them ? The nocturne wall was by someone you could easily have messaged here. The Neo wall had almost gone by the time I heard you complain about it - but I bet you didn't look at every single one; there were two up there just now - 2 gens from silver. Not what I'd call messy. But it was a very short-lived wall - hardly a major issue. The nocturnes lasted for DAYS.

Actually on the whole a prize wall would not be as popular as you think - unless you can do a LOT of 2 gens. I collect very few now, unless I can do something with them. As everyone is saying - play styles vary.

29 minutes ago, MIGOR said:

I know for a fact that the frequent Nocturne, Blacktip, and Turp wall tendencies are from people who love and hoard the breed. I massbreed my Spinels pretty much every other week because I like them. Yes, I do really believe walls are made because someone likes one breed and that's how they play.

27 minutes ago, MIGOR said:

Actually yes, that's exactly why some people make walls. Because they like the breed. Or because the breed isn't as plentiful in the AP normally and they want to change that. Or, even, because people *asked* them to mass-breed a certain breed (that's happened a lot in the Site Discussion mass-breed thread). You seem to be assuming you know why everyone mass-breeds, and that assumption seems very mean, honestly. You are acting like people are just doing this for spite or to make people angry, and that's simply not true. I've participated in plenty of mass-breeds and not *once* have I ever done it because I want to show how 'important' I am. That's silly. Honestly, it seems like the main reason you are against AP walls is because you are *assuming* they are done out of negative intentions. And that's just not true for most breeders. 

Who cares if they like the breed a lot? That doesn't matter. Everyone on DC has a favorite breed. Just because someone likes a breed doesn't mean they should purposefully force it on others by eliminating the ability to get anything else. Forcing the breed on others is not cute, it's narcissistic "I like this breed so everyone else has to either collect it or leave the AP empty handed". There's no functional difference between a fan-flood and a troll-flood, one is born of love, the other of malice, but both are also born of selfishness.

Just to be clear though, there's nothing wrong with breeding a few eggs to the AP for fun as long as you don't go out of your way to take away other people's options and disrupt the game. You can have fun, just enjoy it in reasonable moderation.

10 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

Who cares if they like the breed a lot? That doesn't matter. Everyone on DC has a favorite breed. Just because someone likes a breed doesn't mean they should purposefully force it on others by eliminating the ability to get anything else. Forcing the breed on others is not cute, it's narcissistic "I like this breed so everyone else has to either collect it or leave the AP empty handed". There's no functional difference between a fan-flood and a troll-flood, one is born of love, the other of malice, but both are also born of selfishness.

Just to be clear though, there's nothing wrong with breeding a few eggs to the AP for fun as long as you don't go out of your way to take away other people's options and disrupt the game. You can have fun, just enjoy it in reasonable moderation.

There are many dragons I would not collect unless I saw them walled in the AP. Nocturnes and Neos both fall under that category. Why? Because I don't like them enough to catch them as CBs, but I love what some people have done with them in lineages! Then the fun begins of catch-and-release until I find enough to lock. I see walls as opportunities to lineage-dive, whether or not I'd normally collect them. If they're breeds I would obsess over anyways, no matter the lineage, like Red-Finned Tidals and Guardians, it's more fun for me. I don't think it's narcissistic at all to "force the breed on others", I can always hunt the biomes if I don't want to bother with the wall. I also don't see how this is "taking away other people's options", unless all someone likes to do is hunt the AP for anything other than what's being walled. I also don't find it negatively disruptive, more like "Oh hey, I have a reason to hunt the AP when there's nothing in the biomes I want right now!"

5 hours ago, Keileon said:

I massbreed my Spinels pretty much every other week because I like them.

I must keep an eye out for your Spinel walls. ;) 

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Right on. We all have our own play styles. Live and let live. Breed and let breed :lol:

I'm printing this out and framing it on my wall. There's more than one way to enjoy the game. Massbreeds are one of those ways. 

5 hours ago, olympe said:

Well, there's always the option to do nefarious things to annoying wall eggs. Kill them. Vamp them. Neglect them. Zombiefy them. Name them stuff like "stop breeding these" or "i hate this wall" - and freeze them. Just to annoy the breeder. Maybe they will notice something and stop the shenanigans...

I've also gotten Vamps from these walls that I've enjoyed even more than the original species. They've tended to be ones I've caught and released that someone Bit and either repulsed or they chucked it back out of generosity. It's another fun way to enjoy the walls. 

13 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

There are many dragons I would not collect unless I saw them walled in the AP. Nocturnes and Neos both fall under that category. Why? Because I don't like them enough to catch them as CBs, but I love what some people have done with them in lineages! Then the fun begins of catch-and-release until I find enough to lock. I see walls as opportunities to lineage-dive, whether or not I'd normally collect them. If they're breeds I would obsess over anyways, no matter the lineage, like Red-Finned Tidals and Guardians, it's more fun for me. I don't think it's narcissistic at all to "force the breed on others", I can always hunt the biomes if I don't want to bother with the wall. I also don't see how this is "taking away other people's options", unless all someone likes to do is hunt the AP for anything other than what's being walled. I also don't find it negatively disruptive, more like "Oh hey, I have a reason to hunt the AP when there's nothing in the biomes I want right now!". 

Lots of people like hunting the AP and if there's only ONE breed to hunt it severely takes away from an entire part of the site that's arguably just as or more popular than the biomes, all because one dude decided to. Not everyone likes to hunt the biomes, the biomes are mostly static and don't have lineaged eggs, prizes, vamps, or hybrids. Not everyone wants to collect nothing but whatever breed one person decides what everyone needs to hunt.

There's zero need to hog the entire AP in order to get any of the results you listed, people will still hunt in the biomes if the AP is diverse, you could still learn to like breeds if the AP was not walled, and you can still find lineages without ruining the AP for so many people, you can still collect breeds en masse without walls, and you can still make a lot of one breed without taking the ENTIRE page for a lucdicrus amount of time. It's needlessly to other players.

1 hour ago, blockEdragon said:

Lots of people like hunting the AP and if there's only ONE breed to hunt it severely takes away from an entire part of the site that's arguably just as or more popular than the biomes, all because one dude decided to. Not everyone likes to hunt the biomes, the biomes are mostly static and don't have lineaged eggs, prizes, vamps, or hybrids. Not everyone wants to collect nothing but whatever breed one person decides what everyone needs to hunt.

There's zero need to hog the entire AP in order to get any of the results you listed, people will still hunt in the biomes if the AP is diverse, you could still learn to like breeds if the AP was not walled, and you can still find lineages without ruining the AP for so many people, you can still collect breeds en masse without walls, and you can still make a lot of one breed without taking the ENTIRE page for a lucdicrus amount of time. It's needlessly to other players.

As someone who almost exclusively hunts in the AP, I will say that walls do *not* affect me negatively. Yeah, sometimes I get annoyed if a wall contains only 2nd-gens, a little variety in lineages would be nice... But I don't see the AP as a 'right' that I have. I don't see it as something that 'should' be a certain way so that I won't be inconvenienced. Some users have called the AP a 'trash pile' or similar, and that's basically what it is. No one *deserves* to find what they want in the AP. No one should be allowed to say 'I don't like walls of this breed so it just shouldn't happen'.

And honestly, while I know some people deliberately mass-breed with the *intention* of making a wall, the truth is that AP 'walls' are simply a by-product of how the AP functions. Walls *can* be made by simply going on a little breeding-spree and not having any actual intention of making a wall. And why exactly do some walls last hours and hours? That's not just down to the breeder, that's down to the users who *aren't* picking up those eggs. The AP only shows 30 eggs at a time, so an AP wall could actually be made with like 35-50 eggs, and if no one picks them up that wall will just sit there. 

I really think people are focusing too much on 'punish the breeders!!!!' and not enough on actual changes to the AP itself. There have been multiple ideas talked about for tweaking the AP itself so that walls are less common. We really don't need to go on a witch-hunt and implement limits or penalties for certain users who play a certain way. Just tweak the *actual* AP. My favorite idea in that area is simply to limit how many eggs of a specific breed are *shown* at the same time, so no matter how many of that breed is sent to the AP, there will always be a line or two of other breeds. 

5 hours ago, blockEdragon said:

For a relatively short time. Chill, breed, write descriptions, watch TV. The longest I have ever seen was the nocturnes - a breed I don't collect as a rule - but I got some beautiful stuff, which will have started me on new lineages I had never thought of.

Nothing wrong with this:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/haczf

Examine those walls. You may find gems. Or not. Big deal. The AP is a garbage dump. That's what it's for. If some -one makes like a house clearance and fills the skip - it will come to an end.

Posted (edited)

Keep in mind also that even when there are a variety of breeds in the AP, it is quite possible that none of the eggs will be anything you want. I often go away from a mixed AP just as empty as I do when there is a wall -- or emptier!

Edited by purplehaze

3 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Keep in mind also that even when there are a variety of breeds in the AP, it is quite possible that none of the eggs will be anything you want. I often go away from a mixed AP just as empty as I do when there is a wall -- or emptier!

Yes, often the AP can be a completely immobile mess of various cave-blockers with lineages that nobody seems to want.... It's not all one breed, it's not all one breeder.... And yet it's honestly worse than a wall.

This whole thread is kind of funny. Would any of us go to a garage sale expecting to find new, unused items that are just what we want? I usually go hoping to find something I will like, but not expecting to. I certainly wouldn't berate the person having the garage sale for not having better stuff on sale. He is likely trying to get together enough money to get something he really wants, what he no longer wants he's selling. The AP is our garage sale. If something someone else didn't want doesn't please us, well just wait awhile. Other things are going to show up.

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

God yes - I was there earlier - very varied - and nothing I even wanted to click on to see !

31 minutes ago, raindear said:

This whole thread is kind of funny. Would any of us go to a garage sale expecting to find new, unused items that are just what we want? I usually go hoping to find something I will like, but not expecting to. I certainly wouldn't berate the person having the garage sale for not having better stuff on sale. He is likely trying to get together enough money to get something he really wants, what he no longer wants he's selling. The AP is our garage sale. If something someone else didn't want doesn't please us, well just wait awhile. Other things are going to show up.

That is a BRILLIANT post - thanks.

10 hours ago, raindear said:

The AP is our garage sale.

Thank you for my new favourite quote ^_^

This thread kind of makes me want to sponsor a Spirit Ward mass breed. Spirit Wards tend to dominate breedings, as they're pretty common and seem to be under-represented in general. A few mass breeds would help even out the odds of getting the other breed when breeding mixed pairs. And it would be fun for me because Spirit Wards. :) Maaybe with Coppers. Coppers are fun.

I don't think I have enough Spirit Wards to wall the AP by myself though. It takes a sizeable number of breedings and I've only got 47 Spirit Wards.

Tell me when. Though I only have (one moment) 20.