Husky51

Cave blockages - AP

The problem with that suggestion is where you define the "end of the line" to be. Is it behind the very youngest egg in the AP? At the end of its respective age group, e. g. 3d 16?

At the very end, I'd say. If eggs younger than 4 days are exempted from the mechanic, then there'd be no risk of anything running out of time by being kicked to the end of the line till then, so no reason not to do it. In the long run, it won't make any difference as they will all still have to be picked up eventually, but the AP would be more continuously lively on the way there. Having unwanted eggs sit there in a block for a long time till they all reach incuhatchable time and then suddenly a flurry of AP activity for the people lucky enough to be there as the more diverse eggs hidden behind them are revealed is not as fun overall as having a continuous mix of the incuhatchable eggs and the more diverse eggs would be. Using unwanted eggs as a dam to pent up lower-time eggs behind it is only fun for players who are able to arrange their day to be there when the dam breaks.

Like this:

CURRENT METHOD: I massbreed 40 nocturnes. No one wants them, so they sit there till they go below 4 days, then people start taking them because they're incuhatchable. Once they've been taken, people can get at the diverse eggs behind them, which are also now lower time. Those are also grabbed and the AP is regular again.

BACK OF THE LINE METHOD: I massbreed 40 nocturnes. No one wants them, so they keep getting knocked to the back of the line while people can pick up the diverse eggs that had been behind them. When the nocturnes cycle back up to the front, they'll be lower time and people will start taking them because of that. If the queue is very long and some of them become incuhatchable before getting back to the front they'll be frontpaged again anyway, so they still won't die and people will pick them up because incuhatchable. So there'd most likely be some of my low-time or incuhatchable nocturnes and some of the regular diverse eggs on there together, and people can take what they want.

It may not work, but it does seem like one possible way to address the problem without being some kind of targeted attack on specific breeders.

Edited by tjekan

It still doesn't work, I think.

So, you have this 4d 1 egg sent "back to the line". It might be actual days until it sees the light of the AP again to be picked up. It most likely won't be during the influence-able window.

*Unless*, of course, you limit the amount of line an egg can be sent behind. Same age-group (same timer) won't work for walls, as they are usually in the same group anyway.

I'd much rather see eggs cycling through the AP with a bit of a random element. Maybe like this:

Top and 2nd line: keep it as it is, only show the oldest eggs/hatchlings.

Line 3 to 5: Randomly cycle through eggs from the oldest 3 age groups (by the hour). This will give us at least some variety. Maybe switch things up either regularly (like every 5 or 10 seconds) or upon refresh. Yes, this might actually randomize the AP to a point where not everyone sees the same thing. However, it's not like you can trawl the whole AP for rares...

2 hours ago, tjekan said:

You know, it just occurred to me that the other thing that would make the AP more diverse and interesting would be if an egg that somebody picks up and drops again simply goes to the back of the line.

This would actually be not great because 1) a lot of times the walls don't have anyone even bothering to pick up the first time around and 2) what someone's standards of good is should not affect what others see and might potentially want in the ap. That is, if someone abandons a perfectly decent checker lineage, an uncommon CB or a messy-ish rare because it doesn't fit what they're looking for at the time it shouldn't then vanish completely when someone else would have been happy with it 30 seconds later. And if your alternative is to make it so only multiple abandons from different people make them vanish, that doesn't really work given that people tend not to pick up walled eggs in the first place. Also, you know, all the rares getting picked out and leaving the commons to rot.

3 minutes ago, olympe said:

So, you have this 4d 1 egg sent "back to the line". It might be actual days until it sees the light of the AP again to be picked up. It most likely won't be during the influence-able window.

tjekan said they'd theoretically allow all 4d and under eggs to go to the visible ap automatically in order to avoid this.

Edited by Shadowdrake

3 hours ago, tjekan said:

...You know, it just occurred to me that the other thing that would make the AP more diverse and interesting would be if an egg that somebody picks up and drops again simply goes to the back of the line.

Wouldn't this just be another way of cherry picking through the AP? Don't see anything you like on the first available page? Just pick them all up and chuck them to the end of the line. 2nd page not to your liking? Repeat, repeat, to the end of the line. Grab anything you like on the way and let others pick through your leavings.

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

tjekan said they'd theoretically allow all 4d and under eggs to go to the visible ap automatically in order to avoid this.

Then we'd still get the same kind of walls, just at 4d. That's not much of an improvement to what we have right now.

4 hours ago, RainDear said:

Wouldn't this just be another way of cherry picking through the AP? Don't see anything you like on the first available page? Just pick them all up and chuck them to the end of the line. 2nd page not to your liking? Repeat, repeat, to the end of the line. Grab anything you like on the way and let others pick through your leavings.

Yes, it is, but then, almost every suggestion made to adjust the AP boils down to people wanting to cherry pick the AP for the good stuff and not have to deal with the stuff they don't like. 

The only one that isn't like that is having eggs abandoned multiple times loose time, and even that is super easy to abuse in other ways. Especially at Holiday time. 

So yea, can't support this latest one, either. 

Cheers!
C4. 

19 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

if someone abandons a perfectly decent checker lineage, an uncommon CB or a messy-ish rare because it doesn't fit what they're looking for at the time it shouldn't then vanish completely

Well, I do agree with that--but my suggestion wouldn't make the messy rare vanish completely. It would just bump it to the back of a line to give other eggs a chance.

19 hours ago, RainDear said:

RainDear said:

I doubt it. It takes way too long to manually pick up eight eggs and dump them. While you were spending all your time clicking through all those pages and typing your password in for each of them and all that, somebody else would already have grabbed any gold egg that floated through in your wake. 🙂

I understand all the "cherry-picking" arguments to a certain extent, but it still keeps boiling down to "messy commons are just as good as CBs or rares! You should have to pick up all the messy commons before you're allowed to look for CBs or rares!" And I don't agree with that, any more than I agree with the people who say "Then you should all stop breeding messy commons no one wants!" People can breed what they like to. People can pick up what they want to. Trying to force the eggs that almost no one wants to stay on top of the pile longer just in case someone comes along who wants it soon makes no sense unless those eggs are going to be killed off, which I don't recommend. As long as the eggs are not going to be killed off, then let them be the ones to wait if no one wants them till they're low-time.

18 hours ago, olympe said:

Olympe said:

Then we'd still get the same kind of walls, just at 4d. That's not much of an improvement to what we have right now.

I think it'd be a big improvement to what we've got now, actually. The difference is that right now, if people don't want the wall eggs till they get incuhatchable, the AP is useless till that happens. If the wall eggs didn't pop back up till they were at 4 days, we'd be at the same spot at that moment, sure, but for the 2 days prior to that, the AP would have been moving and fun to look at. And once the eggs get incuhatchable is when they start moving faster anyway. People will take anything if it's low-time.

I like the idea of limiting the number of eggs displayed by an individual breeder at a time for the same reason, but I can definitely see why that feels like a personal attack to the breeders in question, so I think some sort of automated shuffling based on actual user-based interest in the eggs would be a more pleasant solution than restricting breeders. Either way, I don't think it's fair for someone to take the AP hostage and force the userbase to pick up eggs they're not interested in before they're allowed to look at eggs they are. It also makes no logical sense (why wouldn't AP hunters just walk away from a pile of eggs they know they're not interested in to examine other ones? It's the abandoned site, there are no dragons present to scare them into grabbing the closest egg and running away as in the biomes.)

Edited by tjekan

Alright, that's it.  Once again this has turned into a fight over mass breeding.  (Posts in question are hidden in case you're confused.)

Topic is permanently closed.

Edited by LadyLyzar