TJ09

2019-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 13th Birthday

dont know if anyone's caught it, but the hatchling both stages description for Geminae has a mistake.

"Aww... It’s a cute baby dragon. Whenever its two heads appear to communicate, your get a headache."

These dragons are all so amazing I can't pick a favorite! I forget if Drakes can breed with normal dragons. I hope so, I want to pair them with Frills so bad! The Easterns with Leodons, The purple with Hellfyres or Witchlights, blue also with witchlights and the pygmys with both the bats and the magelights. ugh, so many breeding possibilities with these guys!

Artists, you've outdone yourselves once again. :wub:

Drakes cannot breed with normal dragons.  I'm very sorry.

And as far as "your get a headache", we've all been pointing that out, and TJ hasn't done anything yet.  We'll have to just keep pointing it out.  I just went and looked, and it's fixed!  If your browser still displays the typo, I believe hard refreshes and clearing of the cache are the traditional remedies.

Edited by Pilauli

What if these dragons have a BSA (maybe together with another dragon that we do not have yet for symbolizing the gauntlet) and that BSA permanently removes half of the dragons from your scroll in exchange for a rare achievement badge?  Would you do it?  Would you risk losing some prize dragons, GoN, or CB holiday dragons if this is the only way to obtain a rare "snap" or "gauntlet" badge?

The dragons would not be killed (because tombstones look bad in lineages) but they could be released from your scroll and roam freely in the wilderness.  Oh, and no time travel shenanigans would save them.

Edited by Bugzilla

5 minutes ago, Bugzilla said:

What if these dragons have a BSA (maybe together with another dragon that we do not have yet for symbolizing the gauntlet) and that BSA permanently removes half of the dragons from your scroll in exchange for a rare achievement badge?  Would you do it?  Would you risk losing some prize dragons, GoN, or CB holiday dragons if this is the only way to obtain a rare "snap" or "gauntlet" badge?

Not in a million years. What would be the point? Lose years' worth of collecting for one little badge that wouldn't be worth anything more than bragging rights?

19 minutes ago, Bugzilla said:

What if these dragons have a BSA (maybe together with another dragon that we do not have yet for symbolizing the gauntlet) and that BSA permanently removes half of the dragons from your scroll in exchange for a rare achievement badge?

no way, not worth it.

not only would you lose half your dragons. you'll also be loseing other trophys + egg/ hatchling slots.

special gifts or prize winnings.

linages that took years to make.

it would be such a horribal bow to lose egg slots while needing to reform your collection. some dragons being horribly rare, especially if aiming for CB breeding pairs.

I would not do it either. I would not trade my CB holiday dragons or my dozens of CB metallic dragons (gold, silver, copper) in exchange for a badge.

But...

What if that badge was the next step after the Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum trophies, increasing your egg limit permanently?  😈  What if you could eliminate half of life in the Universe your scroll so that the other half would thrive?

1 minute ago, Bugzilla said:

I would not do it either. I would not trade my CB holiday dragons or my dozens of CB metallic dragons (gold, silver, copper) in exchange for a badge.

But...

What if that badge was the next step after the Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum trophies, increasing your egg limit permanently?  😈  What if you could eliminate half of life in the Universe your scroll so that the other half would thrive?

thrive how exactly? you still loose a big chunk of linage and rare collectible dragons. what if you have an artist alt that goes poof?

the whole point is to build a collection. not spend years carefully building to then throw half away for, what? 1 egg slot? IF it were a thing, itd have to be more like a +20 egg slots added, maybe even more iam sure some people would say based on what they have.

9 minutes ago, Bugzilla said:

But...

There aren't enough 'bonus egg slots' in the world to make losing 3.5k dragons instantly worth it, even if you don't factor in pretty lineages and rares. 

22 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I was definitely surprised when we didn't get any site updates, we've gotten major birthday updates for the last few years (market, groups, raffle, etc). Although I would totally settle for some interesting summon-type BSA on these 'infinity' dragons, just something a little 'extra' then a normal release. (And yeah, I still have no clue what to spend my shards on, it feels silly to spend tons on a breed I can catch myself.)

The birthday only "expanded" past being a dragon release for the big tenth anniversary. It kept going for 11 and 12 because the expectation was there, but it was never really a sustainable practice. This year I finally decided to explicitly break that expectation.

17 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

The birthday only "expanded" past being a dragon release for the big tenth anniversary. It kept going for 11 and 12 because the expectation was there, but it was never really a sustainable practice. This year I finally decided to explicitly break that expectation.

I'll just take the group bug fixes as the 'extra' :D Thanks TJ

As a huge Marvel fan, in conclusion,

Yes.

10 hours ago, Bugzilla said:

The dragons would not be killed (because tombstones look bad in lineages) but they could be released from your scroll and roam freely in the wilderness.  Oh, and no time travel shenanigans would save them.

No way.

10 hours ago, Bugzilla said:

But...

VERY VERY no way.

10 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Thanks TJ - makes loads of sense and I'm with you all the way. The "entitlement" expectations get tiring after a while.

16 hours ago, TJ09 said:

The legends are true, TJ09 exists!

On 5/23/2019 at 7:27 PM, Shokomon said:

{snip}

On a different note, when the gold/yellow Infinity eggs hatch, you can see the little babies staring out of the egg:

latest?cb=20190521040458 --> r76bzl.jpg

It's cute!

Also, they crack white for reasons...

And for our red Infinity eggs, the miasma gets real thick in the last stage:

latest?cb=20190521040423 --> 2cy447l.jpg

I wonder why.

It looks like the original 5th stage pygmy egg was an error.

Now the fifth stage looks like this: 2i8y6mo.jpg

Also, the dead egg glitch post below is fixed now too:

On 5/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, jerzeeshadow said:

My coast pygmy died by view-bombing, but is the sprite for the dead egg supposed to look like that?

https://dragcave.net/lineage/yKzdm

Pics from desktop and mobile windows:

Screenshot_2019-05-23-19-13-57.thumb.png.5ba565aaadf104d9d10bbc7c0db4fed6.pngScreenshot_2019-05-23-19-13-36.thumb.png.c22b96932903eb53e970d4d7b97a754b.png

Edit: And just so this is on the latest page, here's all the info on the dergs posted so far {Spoilered because big}:

Spoiler
On 5/24/2019 at 12:23 PM, Fiona said:

I'm not going to make an actual trivia post for Kovos pygmies as the information is in the encyclopedia. (Yes, I'm mean and will make you work for it.)

I will say that a large part of the inspiration came from the aether and how it swirls around a person and then just schlerps in. I wanted a lindwyrm because of their snakey type body, but with wings. I love Skywolf's sketch. I didn't give her a lot of description to start with and she captured my vision perfectly.

Their mists are formed from death mana and dark mana, in somewhat different forms. Those mists are part of them, essentially, not just drawn to them. They're slightly lethal with prolonged contact. Maybe you'll want to avoid direct contact.

Also, they hate you, but think you probably might taste good. If you aren't careful around them they'll probably kill you just to find out. So beware.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:54 PM, Fiona said:

Slightly lethal as in, kill you slowly. As opposed to the pygmies themselves, who just grab you with their claws and rip your face off.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, hazeh said:

That's actually not her belly. The Geminae have rather robust rib cages 😁 She is 3/4 view, with heads turned inwards. 

This was her original sketch:20190510_153520.thumb.jpg.2c01eb4cd060cf0d0c2173ea082d480b.jpg

Geminae are bipedal, so they need that big booty to help balance while walking. 

:D I personally adore my bootylicious babies, but I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea. 

I'm glad everyone likes the Vremya drakes though!! 

On 5/24/2019 at 11:12 AM, TCA said:
On 5/24/2019 at 10:35 AM, olympe said:

Why, just why does the Aeria Gloris' description state they have 7 sets of small wings if the sprite clearly shows at least 11 (without counting the first set, which is *not* small)? Plus, there should be 1-2 extra sets hidden behind the chest. Anyway, something doesn't match up here. I still love the sprites, though. :wub:

There are 14 wings and 12 fins.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:25 AM, SkyWolf25 said:

LJLOQX6.png

Here's a portrait of the Lihnseyre. :D I'm glad I was able to finish it in time. Feel free to use it for your avatar or sig. Full size.

Also, info dump time! Here's some stuff about them.

-'Lihn' comes from linh/lin/ling, which means 'soul' in some Asian countries. 'Seyre' is 'seer' scrambled and modified, and is pronounced similarly to 'sayer'. 

-Quite large. This can be changed if the average size range of DC dragons change, but currently I'm imagining the length of the body (the tail excluded) is comparable to blue whales, possibly longer.

-Can feel the souls of creatures surrounding them, letting them know of the creatures' locations, general emotions, species, and elements(elemental affinity for animals with inherent magic, preferred element for human mages). Signals from nearby creatures are the strongest, and gradually fades with distance.

-Move within a set(albeit very wide) area, but don't feel particular ownership over it; don't mind areas overlapping with others or other breeds living in it. The exception to this are Cassares; their magic-nullifying ability interferes with soul-feeling and causes them distress, as it's akin to losing sight or hearing. They will try to warn them off, or even bodily remove them to a far off place if that doesn't work.

-As mentioned in the description, if they 'see' a distressed or angry soul they may send soothing energy, and sometimes may invigorate weakened, withering souls. However, this is more because they like it when souls are peaceful and beautiful rather than acting out of inherent goodwill. (It's similar to taking a look at your glass marble collection and cleaning ones that are dirty.) It's not impossible for kinder Lihnseyres to help because they want to, but it depends on the individual and is not that common.

-They're more muscular than one might expect, though more wiry than bulky.

-They hate zombies with a passion because of how unstable and unnatural their souls feel and will cut their soul tethers(i.e. kill them for good) whenever they encounter one. However, this won't do on a scroll. 😜

-Females lay a single egg and parents take turns carrying it around, as they don't keep a nest. The hatchling is also carried and raised together.

-They have a reverberant roar and rumbling growl, emphasized by their size. They prefer telepathy for communication, but can rumble to show their displeasure. They sometimes let out a much softer, crooning rumble when they are pleased.

-If they're particularly interested in a certain thing, the tips of their tendrils get angled towards it. If you are touched by the tendrils it means you are in their favor. If they are very angry, the tendrils get angled diagonally back like face frills and ripple intensely. Touching the tendrils without permission is considered rude.

-They like draping/coiling themselves around something when they settle down to sleep, namely ancient trees and large rock pillars.

There will be more info in the encyclopedia, but do feel free to ask me stuff about these guys 'u'
I really appreciate all of the people who have expressed their love for my first dragon. ;v; I am also grateful to the spriters who helped make it happen.

Bonus: Here's the sketch I did for the Kovos pygmy.
ZIKV0fX.jpg

On 5/24/2019 at 7:26 AM, Corteo said:

The pygmy has the stones on the neck, it’s just super hard to sprite stones at pygmy scale. 

On 5/24/2019 at 8:13 AM, Corteo said:

qm4QAnm.png

Enjoy a Vremya bust, feel free to use it in sigs or avatars if you want.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:15 AM, SkyWolf25 said:

On 5/25/2019 at 1:52 AM, bloodyneptune said:

@SkyWolf25 Does any of the Lihnseyre's design take inspiration from Heimdall?

It doesn't, but I did realize after writing the adult description that their soul-sensing ability was vaguely similar to Heimdall's ability to see every living creature in the nine realms. The design was me going 'wah, the soul stone doesn't have containers or second forms to reference. let's try putting irrelevant cool-looking stuff instead and see where it goes'. xD The one you're seeing is the third version.

On 5/25/2019 at 10:36 AM, SkyWolf25 said:
On 5/25/2019 at 4:47 AM, bloodyneptune said:

I wondered if you took any of the other colors off the planet it was found on cause yeah, theres very little to go on with that one xD And everyone did think the stone was going to end up with Heimdall anyways, because of the sight thing. It turned out GREAT, btw, for being the one with the least references to pull from. Am I right at all about the black front of the Kovos being a reference to the pillar Evil Elf keeps it in, or the thing they gave it to the Collector in? (you gotta understand, I L O V E you guys for these, my good god theres Infinity Dragons. So im super dhgiudshaf excited about the inspirations)

I was very disappointed that the soul stone ended up being in a random planet that was never mentioned before instead of Heimdall, but oh well.

Yes, the black/dark grey belly scutes are from the aether's container, and the dark markings on the body come from the dark billowing colours of the freed aether. :)

On 5/25/2019 at 1:55 AM, Corteo said:

On 5/24/2019 at 7:02 PM, john_jones said:

So sad Geminae Dragons  are two-headed!

But As a native speaker (russian)  I like Vremya Drakes. Vremya means Time in Russian, so Time Drakes. As Green as the Time Stone.

giphy.gif

So glad you guys like the release!

On 5/25/2019 at 8:03 PM, hazeh said:
On 5/25/2019 at 2:46 PM, bloodyneptune said:

Ok, who made the Vremya cause I got questions about the antlers. And the Geminae! Why two heads? Is one of them Ultron? Cause one the left one's horns def remind me of Ultron.

I made both the Vremya and the Geminae :D what's your question about the Vremya's antlers?

and haha no its not Ultron. The colors were inspired by Vision, yes, but that's about it. We decided for it to be a two-headed because, well-- two heads are better than one ;D

On 5/25/2019 at 7:14 PM, Shajana said:

I made two big head sprites for the two I helped to sprite (you can use them as Forum Avatar):

Kovos Pygmie (Sketch from SkyWolf25 )

big.png

Geminae Dragon (Sketch from Shiny Hazard Sign)

big2h.png

On 5/25/2019 at 8:31 PM, TCA said:

TPr8dsc.png

-quietly slides this into the thread-

{Shokomon: Pretty~}

On 5/25/2019 at 10:30 PM, TCA said:
On 5/25/2019 at 8:47 PM, Pilauli said:

@TCA is that [the Aeria Gloris bust] available for forum avatar use like Shajana's are?  Because if so, I'm definitely using it.

Yes it is!

Also, MORE BONUS ART

lJJPfUw.png

Picture References:

On 5/25/2019 at 1:28 AM, bloodyneptune said:

I also wanna point out for people who haven't seen the movies the metal "Orb" that the Power Stone is kept in (the highlights on the dragon TOTALLY look like Orb bits)

image.png.aeb4b8e4267b01e9ab584af0d4bcdaa7.png

The necklace 'The Eye of Agamotto" the Time Stone is in

image.png.61d2bb13eb4b19331dc5812a424a5746.png

And the Aether held in like....a big black pillar, kinda. I think it totally looks like the black down the middle of the dragon, then the wings? I dont know, Im vague on references/pics on that one because you know....Thor 2. Amiright?

image.png.016d1fda08831848712c46bc8c2babea.png

On 5/25/2019 at 12:52 PM, Pixxelation said:

@bloodyneptune Good eye! More specifically, I drew inspiration from when the Orb is first opened in Guardians of the Galaxy:

1de82f71d6165e003180ea4a1968e6f6.jpg

First I wanted to recreate this with the horns, and from there I decided to expand the rest of the body, particularly the wings and tails. From there, the concept was born.

Edited by Shokomon

5 minutes ago, Fiona said:

Since we have adults now, shouldn't this be closed? O.O

Unless there's something more to discover. Like an extra BSA or something.

48 minutes ago, olympe said:

Unless there's something more to discover. Like an extra BSA or something.

I'd have expected a report from someone by now if that were the case...but I know there are still people who are hopeful for a BSA of some kind.

I'm super happy with the release, just as it is. The dragons are gorgeous. Every time I look at them, I like them more.

I agree every time I look I like something more about them. The kovos are quickly growing to be my favorites, but the green drales are lovely too. Looks like the blues are popular in the hub, I got the most of those so far. 

Thanks TJ and spriters for all your hard work bringing us an awesome release!