TJ09

2019-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 13th Birthday

3 minutes ago, Pryanka said:

Something that is "malevolent-seeming" is still better written as "seemingly malevolent"

Nay. Both are perfectly valid English, but personally, I actually would prefer the second phrase. Generally though, I think it depends on the emphasis. Do you want to emphasize that it only seems that way, or the malevolence in the appearance?

Wait a minute, those colour look a lot like the infinity stones...

Can't believe I didn't notice that until now.

1 minute ago, OutlawQueen said:

Can't believe I didn't notice that until now.

I didn't notice it until the breeding thread for them popped up XD

I have all of the eggs...

these are not just any eggs,  children of thanos. These are the infinity stones. Prepare to inhale die.

👌😂👌

7 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Nay. Both are perfectly valid English, but personally, I actually would prefer the second phrase. Generally though, I think it depends on the emphasis. Do you want to emphasize that it only seems that way, or the malevolence in the appearance?

Oh I agree that they're valid English!

I even said it in my original suggestion post that these are all edits I think will help the flow of the whole sentence.

There are times when, even if a sentence is written in perfectly valid and grammatically correct English, the sentence could still be improved and written in a better way.

Edited by Pryanka

figured out why i don't regularly stalk the Cave and it's biomes: when i go to a biome, there's three eggs there, with three distinct codes.  i hit F5.... and agan. and again..... and the SAME three codes are still there.  i literally have to go away from the page for some time (i don't know how long, long enough to forget i have the Cave open?) and then when i F5, there's three different codes.

so yeah, that got frustrating for me.  anyone else, or is that just me?

3 minutes ago, trystan said:

figured out why i don't regularly stalk the Cave and it's biomes: when i go to a biome, there's three eggs there, with three distinct codes.  i hit F5.... and agan. and again..... and the SAME three codes are still there.  i literally have to go away from the page for some time (i don't know how long, long enough to forget i have the Cave open?) and then when i F5, there's three different codes.

so yeah, that got frustrating for me.  anyone else, or is that just me?

That's how the cave is supposed to work. The same eggs are displayed for everyone, and new eggs come when the old eggs are taken. That's also why eggs go so quickly when an egg is newly-released or rare. New eggs also appear every five minutes (when the time is xx:x0 and xx:x5). They're not supposed to change on refresh. Trying to find a certain species in the cave can be tedious, so I try to get all the CBs I'll want of a breed when they're first released. But if you want something from the cave, it's way more efficient to only refresh every five minutes when three new eggs appear. If you constantly refresh, you'll just be waiting for someone to take one of the eggs that's already there.

Like many others, I'm very happy with the Lihnseyres! They look delightful on the Portal 2 skin (which is the skin I use).

The Kovos pygmies are very nice and dark!

I adore the wings on the Vremyadrakes.

But my favourites are probably the Aerias. Unfortunately, the joints of the wings have some very bright pixels on them which look very slightly out of place on a dark background, but that won't stop me from adoring them. ❤️ Now I just need to figure out what to breed them with; just gonna have to stalk the breeding plans thread in Site Discussion for a while! ^_^

@SkyWolf25 this is your first release, whattt? I could've sworn you'd gotten stuff released before, but I must have been thinking of holiday event related spriting! Congrats on the release in a big way! :D

I love all the info about your new guys--I always wondered if most dragons would see Cassares as pariahs, haha, so nice to have someone comment on that aspect of interaction. And I LOVE the pygmy sketch. I understand the appeal of trying something really different for a pygmy design, but man, seeing how gorgeous they are makes me wish they were big guys, both for more detailing and for more breeding opportunities. X'D

The dragons look stunning! LOVE the Aeria Gloris dragon, but my favorites are the Lihnseyre Dragons ❤️

They remind me of a dragon I drew 6 or 7 years ago!

47 minutes ago, Pryanka said:

Oh I agree that they're valid English!

I even said it in my original suggestion post that these are all edits I think will help the flow of the whole sentence.

There are times when, even if a sentence is written in perfectly valid and grammatically correct English, the sentence could still be improved and written in a better way.

Your suggestion was considered but for now the description will stand as written.

This is such a gorgeous release. Every time I think I've picked a favorite, I look at the dragon next to it and change my mind again. I'm really glad to see more body types and breeding groups represented. And as always, I love seeing the sketches and additional info the artists share in the thread.

45 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

That's how the cave is supposed to work. The same eggs are displayed for everyone, and new eggs come when the old eggs are taken. That's also why eggs go so quickly when an egg is newly-released or rare. New eggs also appear every five minutes (when the time is xx:x0 and xx:x5). They're not supposed to change on refresh. Trying to find a certain species in the cave can be tedious, so I try to get all the CBs I'll want of a breed when they're first released. But if you want something from the cave, it's way more efficient to only refresh every five minutes when three new eggs appear. If you constantly refresh, you'll just be waiting for someone to take one of the eggs that's already there.

thank you, @cbussiere!! that makes much more sense now! i knew that about new release and the every five minute drops, just not that was how the whole Cave worked.  i remember mentioning this some time ago - not sure how long, a few years ago, i'm sure... and NO one replied.  and i don't think it was in a busy thread for it to get missed, either.  thanks again! 😊 🤗

I don't care for the drake or the two-headed this release but I really like the Lihnseyre and the Kovos. I'm a little sad that we missed out on a leviathan with the Aeris Gloris (those hatchies tricked me) but they look interesting. I'd say that the Kovos and Lihnseyre are the only ones who I would really collect, if I do,  though. Also congratulations on SkyWolf getting into the cave! I know I'm hoping for a few of her breeds from the CL, if we ever get them released.

1 hour ago, pinkgothic said:

But my favourites are probably the Aerias. Unfortunately, the joints of the wings have some very bright pixels on them which look very slightly out of place on a dark background, but that won't stop me from adoring them. ❤️ Now I just need to figure out what to breed them with; just gonna have to stalk the breeding plans thread in Site Discussion for a while! ^_^

..........Those are thumb claws.

Aeria Gloris - magnificent, I think people were right about them being amphipteres. Still my favourite

Vremya Drakes -they look like 80s superheroes, not really my thing, but I like all the extra sail/wing spines

Galvanic Wyverns -gorgeous, good

Kovos Pygmies -also gorgeous and good

Lihnseyre Dragons -also gorgeous and good

Geminae Dragons -the adults are better than the hatchlings. They have nice faces. They have this fat wizard archetype feel to them

I'm personally a little bit disappointed about the Galvanic Wyverns because the hatchling looked more like an alien/more fae-like, and I was really looking forward to that. I think the hatchlings for Galvanic Wyverns are my favourite hatchlings in the game!

Beautiful release, thank you everyone!

26 minutes ago, TCA said:

..........Those are thumb claws.

Interesting! Still would prefer they weren't so bright. XD But like I said, doesn't matter much; love them to bits.

My mom's reaction to the Vremya Drake: 'Woah, that's a bright one!' And in regards to the release as a whole, 'strange-looking dragons', lol! She doesn't really 'get' the appeal of the game, but she tries!

The more I stare at the adults the more I'm convinced the Geminae is my favorite. I don't dislike two-heads in general, but there hasn't been any two-head so far that I've actually wanted to *hoard*. But the colors on this adult are just stunning, I think they really compliment each other. And I can't get over the two heads 'talking' to each other, hehe.

Every single one of these new dragons are AMAZING!

But, I think once again, I like the Aeria Gloris the most out of them all! Sorry Lihnseyres. You guys are lovely too.

Yay for new Amphipteres! 

I think now we officially have 3 of them in the cave.

Edit: @TCA - The Aeria Gloris wouldn't happen to be derived from an old Dragon Request with another set of rainbow-colored dragons, would it? 👀  

AND CONGRATS TO @SkyWolf25 for making into the cave! Yay!

--

On a side note, BREEDING PLANS!

Edited by Shokomon

2 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Yay for new Amphipteres! 

I think now we officially have 3 of them in the cave.

Garland, Bluna, Lacula, Skywing, Sunsong and now the Aeria Gloris. A fair amount of amphipteres, actually - we've had one released since 2017 with the Garland (2017: Garland, 2018: Lacula, 2019: Aeria Gloris). I wonder if we will get more non-Western dragons this year?

13 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Edit: @TCA - The Aeria Gloris wouldn't happen to be derived from an old Dragon Request with another set of rainbow-colored dragons, would it? 👀  

They are not. They were made very recently just from the idea of a blue spacey thing with crystals somewhere.

Spoiler
6 hours ago, Fiona said:

I'm not going to make an actual trivia post for Kovos pygmies as the information is in the encyclopedia. (Yes, I'm mean and will make you work for it.)

I will say that a large part of the inspiration came from the aether and how it swirls around a person and then just schlerps in. I wanted a lindwyrm because of their snakey type body, but with wings. I love Skywolf's sketch. I didn't give her a lot of description to start with and she captured my vision perfectly.

Their mists are formed from death mana and dark mana, in somewhat different forms. Those mists are part of them, essentially, not just drawn to them. They're slightly lethal with prolonged contact. Maybe you'll want to avoid direct contact.

Also, they hate you, but think you probably might taste good. If you aren't careful around them they'll probably kill you just to find out. So beware.

5 hours ago, Fiona said:

Slightly lethal as in, kill you slowly. As opposed to the pygmies themselves, who just grab you with their claws and rip your face off.

8 hours ago, hazeh said:

That's actually not her belly. The Geminae have rather robust rib cages 😁 She is 3/4 view, with heads turned inwards. 

This was her original sketch:20190510_153520.thumb.jpg.2c01eb4cd060cf0d0c2173ea082d480b.jpg

Geminae are bipedal, so they need that big booty to help balance while walking. 

:D I personally adore my bootylicious babies, but I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea. 

I'm glad everyone likes the Vremya drakes though!! 

7 hours ago, TCA said:
8 hours ago, olympe said:

Why, just why does the Aeria Gloris' description state they have 7 sets of small wings if the sprite clearly shows at least 11 (without counting the first set, which is *not* small)? Plus, there should be 1-2 extra sets hidden behind the chest. Anyway, something doesn't match up here. I still love the sprites, though. :wub:

There are 14 wings and 12 fins.

7 hours ago, SkyWolf25 said:

LJLOQX6.png

Here's a portrait of the Lihnseyre. :D I'm glad I was able to finish it in time. Feel free to use it for your avatar or sig. Full size.

Also, info dump time! Here's some stuff about them.

-'Lihn' comes from linh/lin/ling, which means 'soul' in some Asian countries. 'Seyre' is 'seer' scrambled and modified, and is pronounced similarly to 'sayer'. 

-Quite large. This can be changed if the average size range of DC dragons change, but currently I'm imagining the length of the body (the tail excluded) is comparable to blue whales, possibly longer.

-Can feel the souls of creatures surrounding them, letting them know of the creatures' locations, general emotions, species, and elements(elemental affinity for animals with inherent magic, preferred element for human mages). Signals from nearby creatures are the strongest, and gradually fades with distance.

-Move within a set(albeit very wide) area, but don't feel particular ownership over it; don't mind areas overlapping with others or other breeds living in it. The exception to this are Cassares; their magic-nullifying ability interferes with soul-feeling and causes them distress, as it's akin to losing sight or hearing. They will try to warn them off, or even bodily remove them to a far off place if that doesn't work.

-As mentioned in the description, if they 'see' a distressed or angry soul they may send soothing energy, and sometimes may invigorate weakened, withering souls. However, this is more because they like it when souls are peaceful and beautiful rather than acting out of inherent goodwill. (It's similar to taking a look at your glass marble collection and cleaning ones that are dirty.) It's not impossible for kinder Lihnseyres to help because they want to, but it depends on the individual and is not that common.

-They're more muscular than one might expect, though more wiry than bulky.

-They hate zombies with a passion because of how unstable and unnatural their souls feel and will cut their soul tethers(i.e. kill them for good) whenever they encounter one. However, this won't do on a scroll. 😜

-Females lay a single egg and parents take turns carrying it around, as they don't keep a nest. The hatchling is also carried and raised together.

-They have a reverberant roar and rumbling growl, emphasized by their size. They prefer telepathy for communication, but can rumble to show their displeasure. They sometimes let out a much softer, crooning rumble when they are pleased.

-If they're particularly interested in a certain thing, the tips of their tendrils get angled towards it. If you are touched by the tendrils it means you are in their favor. If they are very angry, the tendrils get angled diagonally back like face frills and ripple intensely. Touching the tendrils without permission is considered rude.

-They like draping/coiling themselves around something when they settle down to sleep, namely ancient trees and large rock pillars.

There will be more info in the encyclopedia, but do feel free to ask me stuff about these guys 'u'
I really appreciate all of the people who have expressed their love for my first dragon. ;v; I am also grateful to the spriters who helped make it happen.

Bonus: Here's the sketch I did for the Kovos pygmy.
ZIKV0fX.jpg

11 hours ago, Corteo said:

The pygmy has the stones on the neck, it’s just super hard to sprite stones at pygmy scale. 

10 hours ago, Corteo said:

qm4QAnm.png

Enjoy a Vremya bust, feel free to use it in sigs or avatars if you want.

{Spoilered because long}

Info about our new lovely dragons! 

Thank you, all you lovely artists! 

Edit:

18 minutes ago, Whirlaway said:

Garland, Bluna, Lacula, Skywing, Sunsong and now the Aeria Gloris. A fair amount of amphipteres, actually - we've had one released since 2017 with the Garland (2017: Garland, 2018: Lacula, 2019: Aeria Gloris). I wonder if we will get more non-Western dragons this year?

How'd I forget all these dragons?! Derp.

Though I wouldn't call 5 dragons a fair amount. 

There are more Drakes than Amphipteres...

Who knows... Hopefully!

8 minutes ago, TCA said:

They are not. They were made very recently just from the idea of a blue spacey thing with crystals somewhere.

- Okay good to know! Thank you for answering my nosey question!

Edited by Shokomon

Thanks for putting those info together, Shokomon! :D

~

I adore Geminae Dragons! Absolute units with unique color palette... Love Aeria Gloris and all other dragons too! Great work spriters!