antigod

Ability to Freeze upon Time of Maturation

There are two (?) people in this thread who are happy with it as an instead. My opinion won't change for the majority.

47 minutes ago, Sazandora said:

But still -- why should they even count as growing dragons when they aren't even actually growing anymore? I keep saying this, but is there something wrong with the current "instafreeze" (thanks, Fuzz)? Why should something be fixed when it's not even broken? Isn't it enough that we have to have hatchlings take up valuable slots while we wait for them to gender?

It's meant as a different kind of limit. Because, let's be frank, if freezing was unlimited, some people would clear the AP in no time until there's nothing incu-hatchable left and freeze dozens of dragons within a day. Which is why limits are necessary.

Right now, we have a fixed limit that's way below what we can raise as adults. For people aiming at an even number - or an even number of all available sprites (usually 2 adults + 3 hatchies or 1 adult + 2 hatchies per breed/variety) - this is a problem because they'll never get close to it unless they forego raising dragons.

33 minutes ago, Sazandora said:

But still -- why should they even count as growing dragons when they aren't even actually growing anymore? I keep saying this, but is there something wrong with the current "instafreeze" (thanks, Fuzz)? Why should something be fixed when it's not even broken? Isn't it enough that we have to have hatchlings take up valuable slots while we wait for them to gender?

What I imagine is that they are still "growing" to a point at which they can care about themselves.

It's really subjective whether players should be able to accumulate dragons in equal speed, disregarding whether they only raise dragons to adulthood, only freeze or do both. I don't freeze at all so this change wouldn't really affect me, it's just a concept I find preferable, because I think it's less "judging" of what the player decides to do. One can argue that the player isn't forced to do it, but decides to, and therefore accepts the disadvantage. I think at that point, we can't come to a conclusion.

However, TJ said that "freezing is intentionally not supposed to be faster than actually raising dragons", and as it presently stands, raising dragons to adulthood in addition to freezing hatchlings can, in theory, be faster than only collecting adults. What I meant to point out is that, as far as I can tell, the current system is not as much in agreement with that stated goal as an exact match of freezing and raising dragons to adulthood.

11 hours ago, antigod said:

There are two (?) people in this thread who are happy with it as an instead. My opinion won't change for the majority.

Fair enough - and I wasn't expecting your opinion to change. But while a shorter cooldown would help ALL freezers, I think the suggestion would be a pain for people who don't want to freeze armies and who kind of need the instafreeze at times. It is very useful when you need a slot in a hurry and would prefer to hang on to a hatchie as a frozen rather than just abandon it.And for all its sins - that is the mechanic we all play to right now, and it isn't all that frustrating for most players; what can be so is the cooldown time..

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I realize I haven't been on this game very long, only a few months really, but I'm not sure I even understand the sense in freezing? Is it just used to collect young dragons, to boost your total or what? Help? :D 

27 minutes ago, Feral71 said:

I realize I haven't been on this game very long, only a few months really, but I'm not sure I even understand the sense in freezing? Is it just used to collect young dragons, to boost your total or what? Help? :D 

the sprites are cute and we want to save them forever.  Same reason why people want to freeze eggs, they like the sprite.

2 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

the sprites are cute and we want to save them forever.  Same reason why people want to freeze eggs, they like the sprite.

Ok, so it's not something that helps you get more dragons or whatever for your trophies. :D  That's cool! I can definitely see the appeal in freezing the sprites you like. 

41 minutes ago, Feral71 said:

Ok, so it's not something that helps you get more dragons or whatever for your trophies. :D  That's cool! I can definitely see the appeal in freezing the sprites you like. 

Frozens do count for trophies.  but I've already got my platinum. I collect "familes": 2 adults and 3 hatchlings; both genders and an ungendered one.  recently I've went back and gotten a second gendered hatchling for breeds that are only one gender (holidays) just so they match the rest.  But I also I have a bunch of random "extras" because some hatchlings sprites I just really like, for instance storms, they're so cute.  The old zombie hatchling was one of my other favorites. 

There are a lot of them I haven't seen yet. :)