Moonlight_Eevee

ANSWERED:Dragon Cave Raffle- Increase the Pool of Winners

The Title says it all, this is a thread to help improve the increase of new people of winning prizes. While one of the ways that could easily fix this is putting Prizes into the Marketplace, I do not wish to have talk about that here- please respect that wish. 

• Increasing the pool for prize winners- so far out of the hundreds of players out there, only one person this month so far has spoken up- there maybe others who haven't come on just yet to announce that they have won. Considering only TJ may know how many players actually play this- 60 seems to be a very, very, very, tiny number to be distributed and increasing the number is something that everyone agrees to this and the most favoured besides the market. Talk of Double (120) is highly recommended. Someone suggests it gets tripled to 180.

Editing and updating this thread so it'll just be one suggestion as opposed to multiple ones in here.

Edited by Dalek Raptor

I really would like to see the number awarded each month raised. As far as a cool down I might be ok with a 2 month cool down but no more then that. Statistically I don’t think most people win in consecutive months anyway. 

Despite only playing for just over a year now, I 100% agree with this, as I've seen users straight up get more than one prize in a year, while my friend who introduced the game to me about 6 years ago (i was not interested then) still hasn't gotten a prize. 

I'd *LOVE* to see the number of prizes given each month increased, at *least* double what we have now. 60 is definitely way too few, especially because it isn't actually 60 of the same Prize, that number is split up between 6 different colors/types. 

TJ has specifically said that doing anything to exempt (or 'cooldown') repeat winners wouldn't really change anything statistically, so I really don't see that one happening. A 'background check' seems kinda of... I don't know how to word it, but I wouldn't support that. I really don't think it's something that's a Big Thing enough to *need* something done like that... We already know that TJ has multiple different ways to check if someone is multi-scrolling. To my knowledge it isn't *that* common of a thing, I very much doubt that multi-scrollers are actually winning any significant percentage of Prizes. If TJ (or anyone else) had *proof* that a lot of Prizes were going to multi-scrollers, that'd be different. But I don't see the need to implement some sort of 'check' when we don't actually know if it's an issue at all. Also, a 'check' would have to be a *lot* more extensive then simply seeing if the scroll is mostly used for teleports, that by itself would surely turn up a whole lot of totally valid scrolls.

Just a bit curious, what would happen if the breeding success rate of Prize dragons are increased?

Like moving their rarity down a tier.

It wouldn't really change anything because that's not only not how ratios are handled and the CB pool is still so incredibly narrow even with that, but also that people are understandably ill at ease with having to trust a lineage to someone else's actions. It's bad enough with holidays; these have more value assigned to them.

I personally support boosting the number of prizes to 120-180, since they are split across 6 sprites.

Edited by Guillotine

Ehhh the only one of these I'd REALLY support is increasing the amount of winners. I see no purpose in giving a cool down to past winners, scroll background checks have a whole slew of issues that make them more trouble than they're worth, and the "new winner gets same prize as previous winner" just kinda... I like it in theory but I feel it'd be awful in practice. Doubling the raffle winners just seems a better solution.

How in the world does someone even check 200 scrolls  O.o' I have a hard enough time being active with my one.

But yeah still supporting this like the other threads to do something about fixing how some people are getting multiple prizes compared to others who've been on for 5+ years and gotten nothing.

I support raising the number of prizes, but not any of the other "improvements". Especially not the trying to stop people winning more than once. Anything that messes with what randomness that there is - just no. Especially not some cooldown thing. As to the multiscrollers - prizes can't be traded so it isn't THAT dire.

I am 74 years old. In my entire life I have won two of the hundreds - probably thousands - of raffles I have entered. including those here - as far as I know I have entered every single one there has been, and not won a prize dragon, though one of my lifetime two raffle wins was a neglected.

That's what a raffle is - random. But with the size of the player base, I think we could use more prizes. That said - we don't actually know how many people enter - I would guess a lot of casual non-forum players don't.

ETA what genuine raffle discussion thread was closed ?

Never mind - found it. Your previous one !

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I'd like it if the number of prize dragons was raised since the current number does feel small for such a large community. To be honest I'd also like it if the cooldown thing was implemented since it'd give more chances for people who haven't won yet and I think that'd be pretty fair.

As TJ has said - it would make almost no difference statistically.

Considering that I usually see 600-1000+ ONLINE users every moment I have a look, there are thousands of active players. 60 total winners of 6 different sprites is riddiculus.

In general, anything as long as nobody is prevented from winning multiples. Otherwise, that would be incredibly unfair since there are some people already who can breed PB prizes, and preventing more people from ever being able to do that would wind up a PB Prize's worth beyond scale, there are more SAs out there than scrolls with 2 exact Shimers or Tinsels to make those extremelly valuable PBs.

I'm still for putting them in the Market though, I consider it the best and most fair option because everyone can choose to WORK for them. In such case, the current number of monthly winners would be accepable.

Edited by VixenDra

Sure - but a lot of those never come here and don't play the raffle. Active doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. I know a lot of people who play and don't bother with it, or with the forum.

By the way - the OP did ask that the market possibility should NOT be mentioned in this thread.

5 hours ago, Keileon said:

the "new winner gets same prize as previous winner" just kinda... I like it in theory but I feel it'd be awful in practice.

What problems do you think it would cause in practise?

(The idea was also proposed here in February, if anyone's curious about discussing it in the context specifically of what to do about repeat winners: 

)

15 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

What problems do you think it would cause in practise?

(The idea was also proposed here in February, if anyone's curious about discussing it in the context specifically of what to do about repeat winners: 

)

Primarily it SOUNDS like it would be a mess coding-wise, though as I don't know how TJ codes or what DC's backend looks like I can't speak to that accurately. Point is there are a fair few variables that would go into implementing and maintaining that system that things can very easily break or otherwise go wrong.

Yeah. I'm all for KISS.

37 minutes ago, Keileon said:

Primarily it SOUNDS like it would be a mess coding-wise, though as I don't know how TJ codes or what DC's backend looks like I can't speak to that accurately. Point is there are a fair few variables that would go into implementing and maintaining that system that things can very easily break or otherwise go wrong.

For what it's worth, it seems pretty simple to me:

// roll for 60 winners (already happens)

typeIds = SELECT typeId FROM dragons WHERE user_id IN (...winners...) AND typeId IN (...prize dragon types...) AND parent_f IS NULL AND parent_m IS NULL

// give out prizes (already happens)

foreach (type in typeIds) {
    // roll for a new winner for the type
    // re-roll if it's in this raffle's list of 60 winners
    // (or use an exclusionary randomness in the first place: https://stackoverflow.com/a/2698316/245790)
}

Edited by pinkgothic
(fixed the order of things, whoops -- used the opportunity to clarify stuff)

I absolutely hate the thought of all those people with multiple prizes. It's SO unfair to those who haven't won at all. I know it's RNG, but it's CRAZY how lucky some people are. I've seen at least four people with THREE CB Prizes. I mean, how? Seriously? Are they THAT lucky? Those people should play the lottery! Hah. I'm not saying penalize people for winning by preventing them from entering again, just...maybe lower their chances if they already have a prize? Or introduce the old "Honorable Mentions" like CB Hybrids. If anything, it would give me a chance to FINALLY get my CB Risensong that I've been wanting. XD

The easiest solution would just be to increase the amount awarded each month, but it wouldn't stop some people from winning 2+ prizes. I don't know if someone has won two prizes in the same month (if you have, correct me!) but if so, that should definitely be changed. I'm not sure I like the cooldown idea...at first I thought it was a great idea, but...I have fun with the raffle requirements. It makes me breed dragons I never would have before, and I found myself LOVING certain dragons I wouldn't have before (like Whites from the last raffle req) and I still want to be able to do this for a REASON. Like I said, honorable mention prizes. Just a set type randomly given to those who didn't win a shiny. Like CB Black/Vine/Undine alts, CB colored Stripes, and CB hybrids. That would be really cool. I know it could be annoying to some people, but I'd love it. I really want a CB Risensong, dang it!

It's certainly WAY too late and multiple winners just mustn't be prevented anymore UNLESS Shimmers and Tinsels get into the Shard shop.

No Shimmers and Tinsels in the Shard shop? Then multiple winners MUST remain. If multiple winners are no more, then Shimmer and Tinsels MUST be available in the Shard shop. Period.

It's the only way to avoid yet another disaster of riddiculusly few RNGed people monopolising the supply of a certain thing, in this case, PB prizes. Because PB prizes are already a thing, the amount of people who can produce PB prizes should only constantly increase, or we'll get another drama that could be easly avoided.

BTW since the prizes system is currently all automatised and you can't choose the code anymore nor which breed you should get, even with HMs potentially added, you wouldn't be able to pick what you want to get as HM anyway either, and good luck not only winnng anything, but even more of good luck for it to be a Risensong you want.

Other thing is that HM options (like PB hybrids and such) are something TJ doesn't want any more of in the game.
Lots of mistakes in DC's history... no more are needed.

Edited by VixenDra

I have a friend who has won money on the Premium bonds 28 times - and she's only had hers for about 10 years.

I have had mine since 1958, and not won once. That's lotteries for you.

The current thing is one million times better than that tree decorating "contest"....

Since I'd like all dragons to be as much collectible as possible (CB), and I wouldn't mind at all if the rarity of CB prizes dropped: I'm all for upping the number of winners. Heck, sextuple it. Not a problem for me. There's 6 (!) whole sprites to collect, and the only way to get them right now is by chance. So, up that chance. It would still be special to receive one as you can't get a CB prize any other way (unique method), they would just become less rare. I am very okay with that, personally. 🤷‍♀️

I'm all for upping the amount of winners each month, 60 is a really tiny number compared to how many users Dragon Cave has nowadays. Kinda iffy about including Prizes in the market, but I'm not entirely against it.

3 hours ago, VixenDra said:

BTW since the prizes system is currently all automatised and you can't choose the code anymore nor which breed you should get, even with HMs potentially added, you wouldn't be able to pick what you want to get as HM anyway either, and good luck not only winnng anything, but even more of good luck for it to be a Risensong you want.

Other thing is that HM options (like PB hybrids and such) are something TJ doesn't want any more of in the game.
Lots of mistakes in DC's history... no more are needed.

Agree with this, especially that last sentence. The whole idea of trying to do something different in the raffle is to create more balance, more equality, more chance for more people to have the same thing others do. Let's not try to 'fix' the raffle by creating even more inequality and problems (like HMs....).

I also agree with Fuzz's general idea of 'don't make it less random'. While I personally don't think the supposedly-random current raffle is the best way to do things, implementing things like excluding certain people makes it way less random and really turns it into something I wouldn't want to see on DC at all. 

4 hours ago, Suzumiya said:

I absolutely hate the thought of all those people with multiple prizes. It's SO unfair to those who haven't won at all.

It isn't unfair. Everyone has the same chance each drawing. And what is there to hate? TJ had run the math before and said that eliminating past winners from winning again does not significantly increase your chances of winning. Keeping past winners from winning again does not help your chances, and there's nothing unfair about someone winning twice.

Most of the ideas in this thread have already been kicked around, more than once - what is being suggested here? Raising the number of winners each month? Again, that's been suggested before. TJ also prefers suggestions each have their own threads rather than lumping multiple suggestions into one.