Keileon

ANSWERED:Show artist credits in Encyclopedia

Simple request. I always found it strange how the artists of a dragon were credited on an individual dragon's view page but not the Encyclopedia.

This is, for example, a Sunsong's view page.

cTaWO14.png

But this is the Encyclopedia page.

6oSNwiM.png

At the end of the day it's not a huge deal but it'd make a lot more sense, and would possibly make it easier to find out who to ask for permission in terms of fanart, hybrids, etc.

Yes, I'm in favour of this. I never thought it was sensible to have lack the credits on the Encyclopedia page

I think it's a great idea.  For people who don't order scroll by breed, it would be much easier to find a dragon >>find artist.

Definitely support. Never really thought about this before but it would make sense to have the art credits on the Encyclopedia page.

Support. It'd be a lot easier than looking through your own scroll (or even other people's scrolls if you don't happen to have the dragons on hand).

Edited by Shadowdrake

Yeah, I always wondered why the credits wouldn't appear. It doesn't make sense to me to not have them there. It's still the artists dragon, even in the Encyclopedia.

Support from me as well. This would be a nice reference instead of going to individual /view pages, especially on scrolls with many pages.

I think this is a great way to recognize all the people who have put so much into this site.  The only downside is that there are many people who work on the artwork for different stages of development so how would we go about making sure each gets credit?  Maybe a clickable link for each image in the encyclopedia that simply takes you to the art creators page?

1 hour ago, saarkin said:

I think this is a great way to recognize all the people who have put so much into this site.  The only downside is that there are many people who work on the artwork for different stages of development so how would we go about making sure each gets credit?  Maybe a clickable link for each image in the encyclopedia that simply takes you to the art creators page?

Presumably, the only artists that would get credit is the same as the ones linked at the bottom a dragon's individual page which is generally spriters and I think the concept creator.  If you only make a tiny edit you don't get artist credit.  They are already recognized, this is just asking for the info to also appear in the encyclopedia, which as it is supposed to collect all info about a given dragon it should.

Oh for sure but sometimes there is a sprinter for the egg and one for the new hatchling and one for the older hatchling and so forth. So would we only do the Adult spriter? Or all of them?

Edited by saarkin

12 minutes ago, saarkin said:

Oh for sure but sometimes there is a sprinter for the egg and one for the new hatchling and one for the older hatchling and so forth. So would we only do the Adult spriter? Or all of them?

I think they currently all get credit on the page of the stage that they created, so I would expect that they would all get credit if anyone does.

Sounds more than just reasonable. So, yes, support. Because the encyclopedia is the one place you go to if you want to look anything up about a dragon breed. That should include information on the people who came up with them. Even if it's written in character: "This breed was first described by [conceptor]. The first artwork of this dragon breed was created by [artist1 (stage)], [artist 2(stage)]..." and so on.

15 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Presumably, the only artists that would get credit is the same as the ones linked at the bottom a dragon's individual page which is generally spriters and I think the concept creator.  If you only make a tiny edit you don't get artist credit.  They are already recognized, this is just asking for the info to also appear in the encyclopedia, which as it is supposed to collect all info about a given dragon it should.

The concept creators are never credited. I know one dragon breed in particular, at minimum, who doesn't have the concept creator credited for their work contributed; only the sprit artist. I've always been upset about this but people often brushed me off with comments like "the artist is almost always the same person anyways". Well, in this specific case, I know they're two different people but only one is getting due credit.

6 hours ago, olympe said:

Sounds more than just reasonable. So, yes, support. Because the encyclopedia is the one place you go to if you want to look anything up about a dragon breed. That should include information on the people who came up with them. Even if it's written in character: "This breed was first described by [conceptor]. The first artwork of this dragon breed was created by [artist1 (stage)], [artist 2(stage)]..." and so on.

I'm in total support of doing this. I would love to know who put in the effort to write the descriptions for each stage and create the extensive encyclopedia information. 

I'd like to voice my support as well. Especially if, as Olympe suggested, it includes concept/description credits as well as spriting credits.

Do your think there could be a page for "contributors?"

Like a page that lists all the artists/conceptors that contributed to Dragcave or lore-wise, the encyclopedia?

Then, you could go to the specific "contributors" page and see what they worked on in total?

I see this as a companion piece to listing the artists' names on their respective dragons' encyclopedia, especially for conceptors and writers who don't get credit otherwise.

That seems like something probably worth its own thread.

That said, concept creator credits could stand to be in the Encyclopedia anyway.