TJ09

2019-04-21 - Festival Of Eggs Begins!

Assuming TJ didn't add any more later, yes.

12 hours ago, Fiona said:

Partial transparency is not allowed by gifs. If  you want partial transparency you have to do apng's and those aren't particularly supported by the site. They tend to break. Full transparency, such as transparent backgrounds, is fully supported by gifs. It's not GIMP that's causing your issues if you're trying to animate something with partially transparent shadows, it's your format. If you look at the animated eggs that were used in the event they're all gifs. None use partial transparency in any of the frames.

Small correction: APNG's do work fine here.  They are supported in all major browsers: Firefox (since 2008), Safari (since 2014), Chrome (since 2017), Opera (since 2017), even on mobile devices running Android or iOS. The only exception is IE/Edge that displays them as static images (the partial transparency works, but it will not be animated). The next version of Edge based on the Chrome engine will hopefully animate them correctly.

Unfortunately, there will still be a problem with GIMP because the support for APNG was never implemented correctly: there was a plug-in for APNG but it has not been maintained since 2010 (only a single minor update in 2013 to make it compatible with the now obsolete GIMP 2.8), and the current GIMP version 2.10.x has a different way of saving PNG images that is incompatible with that plug-in.  Currently, GIMP can save static PNG images or animated GIF images but cannot save animated PNG's. You can use GIMP to create an animation with shadows and partial transparency, but the only way to save correctly it is to export each individual layer of the animation as a separate PNG file (not animated) and then use an external tool such as apngasm to assemble all static images into an animation.

Does anyone know what this is referencing to? I've been trying to find an answer and no one can tell me

Spoiler

85n2oh.png.20a6f3097646b5faff8f145b20a6b5fb.png

No, but it looks cool.  Personally, I think the leg egg is creepy.

There are several really cool eggs (though I'm only at 14), though.  Actually, I only just realized the globe one is animated.

2 hours ago, Bugzilla said:

Small correction: APNG's do work fine here.  They are supported in all major browsers: Firefox (since 2008), Safari (since 2014), Chrome (since 2017), Opera (since 2017), even on mobile devices running Android or iOS. The only exception is IE/Edge that displays them as static images (the partial transparency works, but it will not be animated). The next version of Edge based on the Chrome engine will hopefully animate them correctly.

Unfortunately, there will still be a problem with GIMP because the support for APNG was never implemented correctly: there was a plug-in for APNG but it has not been maintained since 2010 (only a single minor update in 2013 to make it compatible with the now obsolete GIMP 2.8), and the current GIMP version 2.10.x has a different way of saving PNG images that is incompatible with that plug-in.  Currently, GIMP can save static PNG images or animated GIF images but cannot save animated PNG's. You can use GIMP to create an animation with shadows and partial transparency, but the only way to save correctly it is to export each individual layer of the animation as a separate PNG file (not animated) and then use an external tool such as apngasm to assemble all static images into an animation.

Yes, correct that GIMP cannot save apng's, which is unfortunate. And when I wrote that apng's weren't working here. There were two eggs sprited in that format for the event and they both broke when importing to the site. TJ did some TJ magic and right now they're working, so yay.

1 hour ago, Fiona said:

Yes, correct that GIMP cannot save apng's, which is unfortunate. And when I wrote that apng's weren't working here. There were two eggs sprited in that format for the event and they both broke when importing to the site. TJ did some TJ magic and right now they're working, so yay.

Thanks for the clarification, Fiona!

As a quick exercise, I just spent an hour creating a small APNG animation with GIMP, but then I had to export the individual frames as static PNG files and assemble them with apngasm (https://github.com/apngasm/apngasm) because GIMP cannot export the animation.  Here is the result:
pfh86sB.png

You should see a semi-transparent bouncing egg. The shadow and semi-transparency should work over any background color. If the egg does not move, then this means that your browser supports PNG images but cannot animate them.

Note that this animation was done in a quick and dirty way: I just took a standard egg image (gray storm egg), added a red layer on top with the layer mode "Color erase" (which turns the gray into semi-transparent blue), then I duplicated and moved that layer several times to create the animation. The squishy effect was done by removing two rows of pixels from each frame. The result has some flaws, but I did not want to spend too much time on it.  If I am not too lazy, maybe I will think about submitting an entry for the Festival of Eggs next year. 😉

Edit: side-by-side comparison of animated PNG (8 K, smooth transparency) and the same animation converted to GIF (14 K, only "all or nothing" transparency):

pfh86sB.pngC0cHsPe.gif

Edited by Bugzilla
Added animated GIF for comparison with APNG.

There's such creativity with this year's batch of eggs! I love it! Love the different sizes and the designs using multiple eggs!

2 hours ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Does anyone know what this is referencing to? I've been trying to find an answer and no one can tell me

Reveal hidden contents

I swear it's reference to fantasy game, that I can't remember its name, sadly :(

I have all the eggs, and I still can't get the references being mentioned here - not even the Lugia :lol:

@Bugzilla Pretty cool test. I would love to see you submit an egg next year. :)

And yay. I finally got my own egg in the FoE.

1 hour ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Hide contents

Gothic, old(2001) cRPG game of German origin, very popular in Europe, considered a classic of the genre in Poland (where I live), and probably the first game with a successful living, responsive, open world. A game from the times before RPGs got all destinations marked on the map - you had to find everything on your own, with the help of the clues from NPCs etc. Gothic and Gothic 2 are the games of my teen times^^ You may say ugly, but I say very immersive and enjoyable.

This game even inspired the makers of The Witcher games, the pride of Polish game industry:)

Google is useful. I now know which is the Lugia. The only other I know is Totoro - and Detroit, with help from its creator ! I feel sort of - PURE !

5 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

Gothic, old(2001) cRPG game of German origin, very popular in Europe, considered a classic of the genre in Poland (where I live), and probably the first game with a successful living, responsive, open world. A game from the times before RPGs got all destinations marked on the map - you had to find everything on your own, with the help of the clues from NPCs etc. Gothic and Gothic 2 are the games of my teen times^^ You may say ugly, but I say very immersive and enjoyable.

This game even inspired the makers of The Witcher games, the pride of Polish game industry:)

Yes! It was Gothic, holy ****, I forgot it XD

I think I've collected all the eggs now, they're so cool! The spriters have done well. ^_^

I hope everyone's been having a pleasant Easter.

Just grabbed the last egg!~

Also, the fancy banner I've seen in some of these posts isn't showing up for me. Am I missing something?

banner.thumb.png.42eb1ba34819c4386618cefc211100ee.png

Edited by KayaBear
talking about this~

7 minutes ago, KayaBear said:

Also, the fancy banner I've seen in some of these posts isn't showing up for me. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately for you, the banner works as a separator: it only appears if you also have eggs from previous years.

30 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

I never said it was ugly D= it actually looks like a dinosaur skull so I was trying to find answers for it! It's actually one of my new favourite eggs because of that fact and I linked it to Jurassic World at first 😂

9 minutes ago, Bugzilla said:

Unfortunately for you, the banner works as a separator: it only appears if you also have eggs from previous years.

Ah, makes sense! Thank you for the info ^^

Looking forward to next year's even more now~

8 minutes ago, Glaciarie said:

Oh boy, no way I can get all those eggs in 3 days

Of course you can. I am living a life AFK and have them all - and there's still a day and a half to go.

14 minutes ago, Glaciarie said:

Oh boy, no way I can get all those eggs in 3 days

Set a timer! (Mine's at 14 minutes... XD ) Then click, then reset the timer.

Are the two purple eggs supposed to have actions?