CaramelCremme

!!! Hatchery Viewbomber !!!

I find this an important issue to discuss. lately on the trading hub, i have seen people use their trade descriptions to talk about things other than trade. However, they shouldn't be punished, for their topic is something quite important.

Apparently there has been a viewbomber lately? Someone has been typing in our usernames on NUMEROUS click-sites in attampt to kill our eggs and hatchlings. Every one of my hatchlings and eggs from a few weeks ago has died, and I am VERY ANGRY ABOUT THAT. i had a cool caveborn "Xexao" code and now it's gone and there's nothing I can do about it. 

I think that it would be a lot better if our usernames were NOT visible in the trading hub. Because of this stupid viewbomber I am always in fear of going to the hub again and making trades. 

Some hatchery sites also allow you to type up someone's username in the "add your dragons" bar and give direct links to the person's scroll when the username is typed and the dragons are successfully added. this allows the viewbomber to see what kinds of dragons we have so they can target us and kill them. i think that it would just be better if our usernames weren't in the hub.

it is not fair that some people have to go through this misery when they are doing nothing more than playing a simple game. Our eggs are dying and there is nothing we can do about it. Sure, we can fog them, but if we are doing other things and are inactive then there is really nothing we can do. please fix this somehow!

Edited by CaramelCremme

Genuinely asking as I haven't ever hidden my scroll.... does hiding one's scroll name on one's dragons hide it on trades, too?

Just now, JavaTigress said:

Genuinely asking as I haven't ever hidden my scroll.... does hiding one's scroll name on one's dragons hide it on trades, too?

I'm not sure. It prevents people from actually going to your scroll to see all your dragons but the trading hub shows your name regardless.

I don't think you're being viewbombed.  Your dead things--including Xexao--died because they didn't get enough views.  Viewbombing is when your eggs get too many views--the dead on your scroll didn't get enough views.

1 hour ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I don't think you're being viewbombed.  Your dead things--including Xexao--died because they didn't get enough views.  Viewbombing is when your eggs get too many views--the dead on your scroll didn't get enough views.

This. None of the dragons on your scroll died from viewbombing, if they did there would be a 'died of sickness' message on the dragon's page. They simply ran out of time because they didn't get enough views... Most dragons need at *least* 2,000 views to grow up, sometimes much more then that. Dragons can grow up once their timer reaches 4 days... If they get below 4 days and haven't grown, that means they need more views.

As well, viewbombing is kind of just a thing we have to deal with for now. There are a lot of suggestions people have talked about, how the site could be tweaked to stop viewbombing from killing dragons, but right now it is a thing and has been a thing for years and we just have to learn to take precautions. Hide (fog) your dragons when you aren't online to keep an eye on them. Check hatcheries to make sure they haven't been added by someone. Keep an eye on their stat numbers so you can notice if they are getting too many views too fast.

1 hour ago, CaramelCremme said:

I'm not sure. It prevents people from actually going to your scroll to see all your dragons but the trading hub shows your name regardless.

This. Even though your name does not display on the dragon's page, your scrollname is attached to each trade you make, so other users can track you that way.

Ever since my eggs were targeted twice I keep my scroll hidden. Even if they know your username they can't add anything if you have your scroll hidden. I only 'unlock the door' so to speak when I am ready to place them into hatcheries. Sometimes when I get something extra rare on the rare occasion I'll even fog it for that extra protection when I'm sleeping or afk.

Yes indeed. You weren't bombed, but watching your own scroll is part of playing the game. Viewbombing, when it happens, is a pain, but it would not be OK to hide names on trades - people need to see who they are dealing with. If you have a trade up - hide your scroll; the trade item will still be visible.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:35 PM, random_dragon_collector said:

I don't think that is accurate. They were doing perfectly fine on the click-site until I decided to visit the trading hub. Whenever I add my dragons there, they are always perfectly fine. Even those that are in the emergency room always usually make it out alive. There just isn't a way that they didn't get enough views. And what a coincidence, if they didn't get enough views, it so happens that *all* of my dragons died of not receiving enough views? Never has that happened before.

8 minutes ago, CaramelCremme said:

I don't think that is accurate. They were doing perfectly fine on the click-site until I decided to visit the trading hub. Whenever I add my dragons there, they are always perfectly fine. Even those that are in the emergency room always usually make it out alive. There just isn't a way that they didn't get enough views. And what a coincidence, if they didn't get enough views, it so happens that *all* of my dragons died of not receiving enough views? Never has that happened before.

Is your username the same? So your scroll is https://dragcave.net/user/CaramelCremme? Because it does indeed look like your dragons ran out of time and died because of running out of time without enough stats to grow up. You have two dead eggs that only have 1 view each, and 7 days passed between laid and death. You have two dead hatchlings with less then 1,000 views each, and again the timer ran out at 7 days after hatching. It's great that your dragons *usually* make it out alive, but obviously these guys didn't get enough views. There is no standard amount of stats where all dragons are safe to grow, every single individual dragon needs a different number to grow, some need more then others. It's plenty obvious that these guys just didn't get their specific number of stats, regardless of how your *other* dragons have fared in the past. To prevent this in the future, if a dragon hasn't grown up when it's timer gets below 4 days, add it to more hatcheries. 

Viewbombed eggs that die have thousands and thousands of views--"bombing" with views.  That's not what happened to your scroll.  And yes-- @HeatherMarie that's the right scroll--OP mentioned one of the dead eggs by code.

Also, in case you aren't aware what 'viewbombing' actually *does*, the result of viewbombing is that a dragon gets so many views so fast that it gets sick, and if the sickness gets bad enough it can die. IF a dragon dies from that sickness, it's death message will say so, something like 'this dragon has died of sickness'. None of your dead dragons say that, which means they could *not* have died from 'viewbombing' because they weren't sick when they died.

9 hours ago, CaramelCremme said:

The reason they may have done better when listed on the hub is that people will have been viewing them to see your trades.

Those eggs and hatchies did NOT die of bombing. They died from too few views. Another indication is that they all died at the 7 day mark. 7 days + that few views is death by starvation. Sorry - but that's the way it works. And as Heather says - if they had been bombed, it would say they died of sickness. Just because it didn't happen before doesn't mean it didn't happen this time. Now it is POSSIBLE that someone took them OUT of the fan sites. That is the kind of thing everyone needs to watch for. But they did not have enough views, plan and simple.

https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_Sickness

Also:

Growth

As an egg gets views, unique views, and clicks, it will eventually hatch and turn into a hatchling, but this can only happen if its death timer falls to at least 4 days while having sufficient views. You have 7 days in which to collect enough views for your egg; for more information on raising your dragon, see this article. The time at which an egg or hatchling will die is called the Time of Death (ToD).

If an egg receives too many views in a short amount of time, it will become sick, and it may die if you continue to allow it to be viewed. This sickness can be cured by hiding the egg for a specific period of time. Usually 24 hours is recommended, although shorter healing times have often been reported. If an egg dies of sickness, the following message is shown (to other viewers) on the egg's view page:

"Unfortunately this egg has died of sickness."

Note the message. That isn't the message yours have.

I'll note as well that general negligence to the scroll will kill more often than any viewbomber. Sure, MOST of the time you can "fire and forget" and throw your eggs into a hatchery before just forgetting about the site for a week, but there is still a very real risk of the eggs dying by starvation. Hatcheries have different amounts of traffic at different times, so it's fully possible that in this particular instance there were too many dragons in the hatchery and/or too few people viewing.

This

H8Nh7iS.png

Is death from negligence, not bombing.

With the hatchies revive and hope for the best. 

As for viewbombing, as long as the attackers have the code, they can bomb stuff, so hiding the scroll name would only do so much 

Funny thing aside - at least one egg and one hatchie died 8 days after being caught/hatched. The green egg that has 1/1/1 stats, for example. Or the sapphire hatchling. Which is interesting because you don't even have the ability to stun your hatchlings yet. 

No but the DATE could be the issue.

Time zone/pre midnight etc stuff. The clock switched to summer time in some countries recently, and all.

Then again the OP could have picked up a stunned hatchie from the AP. Doesn't account for that egg though.

It's also worth mentioning that you have accepting aid on. While viewbombing is not why your eggs died, if you don't want people putting your eggs into hatcheries I'd turn that off. 

...not that viewbombers bother to look at that message, of course.

On 4/19/2019 at 4:05 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

Time zone/pre midnight etc stuff. The clock switched to summer time in some countries recently, and all.

Then again the OP could have picked up a stunned hatchie from the AP. Doesn't account for that egg though.

There's just a single flaw in your logic: DC always runs on Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Daylight Saving Time. And that's how the date always gets determined: By cave time.