Kakaru_of_DOOM

Verseweavers Lineage

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the Verseweavers Lineage!

As the name implies, poetry is the defining feature of the Verseweavers - and not just in name. Every Verseweaver dragon has description in verse. 

thriqui_and_fnekc_verseweaver_by_niharia

Fnekc and Thriqui, the founding dragons of the Verseweavers lineage. Illustration by kakaru_of_DOOM.

"Last updated" date is at the bottom of the post.

Post 1: Vision • Rules • Poetry and the Description Guidelines • Critique • Request/announcement forms • Banners

Post 2: Poetry Links • Verseweavers dragons • Associate member dragons/groups

The Vision:

To get an idea of how this lineage will look, I've done a test-run: the Glaucus Bay drakes. Check out the group and click on any drake: s/he has a verse description, and every relative you can reach (parents, uncles, cousins, etc) has a poem as well. The drake version is limited in that it is only in my style, and all glaucus and ochredrakes, but it should give a taste of what dragons could do.

Deibhidhe and his lineage is another example. Even his uncles have verse descriptions! Sadly, the verse chain doesn't hold true for Vegitus's bite line (if only I had an unbitten/2009 halloween vamp...).

The Rules:

1. ALL Verseweavers dragons should be described in verse, including those bred into the lineage (mates of those descended from the founding pair).

2. Verseweavers dragons have the surname "Verseweaver" - including those bred into the lineage.

3. CB mates preferred, but not necessary. Incorporating bred dragons is acceptable. Having unmated dragons you do not intend to breed is fine as well. 

4. Refrain from zombie/vamp/NDing eggs that you have not bred yourself; especially if you are not confident in your ability to succeed (Turning an ND/catching a repulsed vampire). Do not freeze a wyrmling without permission from the breeder.

5. ANY dragon with a verse description can qualify to be an 'associate member' and be listed here. If you have more than a few, I recommend you make a group and link that to save space.

- all breeds are allowed. No restrictions here.

- If the parents of a dragon bred into the Verseweavers line have verse descriptions, they may also use the Verseweavers surname. If their parents or offspring have verse descriptions, they also may adopt the Verseweavers name. The Verseweaver surname should not end up on any dragon who does not have a poem (it's okay to use it on a dragon while you're still working on the poem, so long as the plan is to finish it.) 

6. Please do not breed a Verseweaver dragon until his/her description is at least 'pending' and therefore visible.

Poetry and the Description Guidelines:

All descriptions must follow the description guidelines. Empty lines to denote stanza breaks are erased by the site automatically, so to keep the stanza break in the verse a single period (.) in the 'empty' line can be used. What does that mean for poetry? While I have not discussed anything with the description moderators, my preference is to make poetic descriptions obviously poems. That means they have some sort of structure. Types of structure found in English include:

- Rhyme

Words that have the same ending sounds, e.g. 'rhyme/time' or 'wondering/blundering'. This is the most common type of structure employed and a component of many forms. Fnekc and Thriqui are fine examples. Slant rhymes (e.g. 'can/fans' - they don't quite rhyme but are close) are acceptable too, but often feel sloppy.

- Meter/metre and syllable count

English words have 'stressed' and 'unstressed' syllables that form 'feet' of two, three, or sometimes four beats. Many poems employ recurring patterns, including classics such as "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe  (trochees) and many of the Shakespearian plays (iambs). There are some forms that use syllables without caring about stress, many of which have been imported from languages in which stress doesn't exist the same way. Ha1K0 is an example of unrhymed syllable-count verse.

- Alliteration/assonance

Alliteration and assonance apply the same sounds to shape structure. Alliteration refers to consonants; assonance to vowels. The technique was apparently common in Old Norse and Old English poetry; it is challenging find examples of it in modern english. Be careful not to overdo it; it can turn silly quite quickly. I have (currently still pending, so you may not be able to see them) examples: Aliteration and Assonance

- Sestina-esque word repetition

The sestina (less commonly called a 'sextain') is a 38-line form which is great for 40-line max poetry contests, but does not fit in a 1,000-character dragon description. I've tried. (The full poem can be viewed here). Sestinas use word repetition in a specific 'cross' pattern, and the shorter version, the quartrina, is a wonderful choice for anyone who wants to participate but is too daunted by rhyme or alliteration. Umber and Esp are an example of a quartrina on my scroll. If you can't see it, they're still 'pending'.

- Acrostics

Acrostics are when you spell something out with (usually) the left margin of your poem. There are more convoluted variants, and Lewis Carroll (the Wonderland author) used several of them. Faufo is a tolerable example. His margin spells out his name; though it's otherwise a sloppy poem. You can write anything with an acrostic so long as it is within the Description Guidelines.

- Refrain(s)

A refrain is when an entire line is repeated several times throughout a poem. This is usually used in conjunction with other types of structure, particularly rhyme. Bobgz is a great example, because literally every line in her description repeats once. Rondelet is also a fine example of refrains (and his namesake form: his description is made of two of them).

Few if any poems utilise all these techniques; most use only one or two. So-called "free verse" uses none at all and can only be recognised as a poem by the line and stanza breaks. Word order inversion, where words are in a gramatically-awkward order to aid meter and rhyme, such as in the second line of Vegitus's description, is acceptable, so long as it is not so extreme that the meaning is lost. If you feel it is too hard to use a poem alone, it is possible to mix verse and prose to create descriptions like eTail. I originally submitted him with the poem alone and got a moderator reject because he came off as too powerful, so I added the prose to explain. Poems do not need to be long, like Osawg shows, nor serious, as The Nworset Cheddar's limerick.

For those of you who do not write many descriptions, what should you expect? Other users have the ability to review these descriptions and leave comments. These can be viewed under the 'describe' action on your dragon's page. Once you describe your dragon you do not need to re-click the 'describe' button unless you are changing something - if you do, you'll fall out of the cue. Description comments start "Accept:", "Abstain:", or "Reject:", sometimes followed by a comment written by the user. The accept/abstain/rejects determine whether your description is visible as 'pending' with more active, reliable users having more effect. Don't be worried if you get a reject if there is no comment; some users will reject a perfectly good description (especially if it's silly). If there is a comment consider what it says, but always remember that these are opinions, not rules. Eventually the official description moderators will give the description a final approval/rejection, and once they do, all user comments are erased. 

If you're confused, feel free to post your description here along with any comments on it you may have that are confusing you.

Critiques:

Poetry can be challenging. If you want help, ask. I will offer advice, thoguh I may not be of much help for free verse. Remember that anything I share is my opinion; feel free to ignore it if you want. DO NOT CRITIQUE ANYONE'S POETRY UNLESS ASKED. To help everyone, I offer two levels of critique:

- For a 'basic' critique, I will look at the poem as a dragon description and evaluate it for understandability and spelling/punctuation, and only very obvious structural problems.

- For a 'poetic' or 'in-depth' critique, I will look at the writing as a poem and analyze structure, going line-by-line, highlighting metric flaws, slant and wrenched rhymes, and other obscure terminology to help create can achieve a higher level of craft. 

- If there is some specific area you are unhappy with or problem want me to look into, please explain what it is so I can be sure to cover that point (for example, if you are unsure about your meter, specify that's what you're interested in).

Forms:

These are forms for interacting with this thread; not poetic ones! You can find the latter in the 'poetry links' in the second post. I don't intend to be too much of a stickler for the time being; but that (and these forms) may change if there's a lot of interest. Things in parenthesis ( ) are options to be chosen.

To request an egg:

[color=0000FF]I would like a Verseweavers egg![/color]

Scroll: (your scroll name with link)

Breeding pair: 

Other:

To request a critique:

[color=990000]I would like a critique![/color]

Type of critique: (simple / in-depth)

Poem: ([quote] (-insert here-) [/quote] / (link to dragon whose description you want evaluated - if visibly 'pending' only.) )

Other:

To add an associate member/group:

[color=330099]I would like to (introduce / update) an associate (dragon / group)![/color]

Scroll: (include link if you haven't already)

(Dragon / Group): (name with link)

Approximate size: ('Approximate' so I don't have to update too much.)

To announce a breeding pair:

[color=006633]I have established a breeding pair![/color]

Scroll:

Female: 

Male:

I will breed: (straight run / for a breed)

NOTE: by 'straight run' I mean 'whatever breed the couple lays' as supposed to retaining the offspring until they yield a specific breed. As a breeder you can also include if you are willing to precog/influence an egg for whomever you're breeding for under this category.

To Announce a description pending/approval:

[color=009900]My dragon is (pending/approved)![/color]

Scroll:

Dragon: (link with name)

Banners:

Here are some signature banners to show your support! The code *should* work if you copy+paste them and select 'paste as pure text' in the pop-up. If it doesn't, PM me or post here and I'll try to help.

dao6xef-dcfd3fb2-f1f8-4f76-8e16-5e63cf0f

By Kakaru_of_DOOM

[url=https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/184920-verseweavers-lineage/][img=https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/316c7f6a-b617-4480-9729-6d8e1fdeda04/dao6xef-dcfd3fb2-f1f8-4f76-8e16-5e63cf0fbf06.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzMxNmM3ZjZhLWI2MTctNDQ4MC05NzI5LTZkOGUxZmRlZGEwNFwvZGFvNnhlZi1kY2ZkM2ZiMi1mMWY4LTRmNzYtOGUxNi01ZTYzY2YwZmJmMDYucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.R1tLier7LmKnBhGs3z6PrEQ5DtZ_UgK8_DqCH316zXE][/url]

db1g6xz-5a37c08d-5115-4bf0-b94e-d01d9254

By Kakaru_of_DOOM

[url=https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/184920-verseweavers-lineage/][img=https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/316c7f6a-b617-4480-9729-6d8e1fdeda04/db1g6xz-5a37c08d-5115-4bf0-b94e-d01d9254a0e1.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzMxNmM3ZjZhLWI2MTctNDQ4MC05NzI5LTZkOGUxZmRlZGEwNFwvZGIxZzZ4ei01YTM3YzA4ZC01MTE1LTRiZjAtYjk0ZS1kMDFkOTI1NGEwZTEucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8Ue-sN2NdnbD_W61mQD4z5G6rB9tSP36XRKweQVBl0c][/url]

Edited by Kakaru_of_DOOM

Posted (edited)

Poetry links:

Shadow Poetry - Similar to Vole Central, but with a different selection of forms. Examples tend towards traditional subject matters - less humorous, but unlikely to offend. It has a dictionary of terms and some famous poets' work/bios.

Vole Central - A wonderful source of poetic forms and information. The example for the rondel is a bit mature in content, but other than that it's a wonderful source.

Rhymer.com - A rhyming dictionary; one of many. If the format doesn't suit you, search online for 'rhyming dictionary' and you can find numerous others that are fairly equivalent. It unfortunately does have ads. However, I have yet to find one online that does not.

Forgotten Ground Regained - The only site I have found that talks about alliterative verse. It references 'Old English' quite a bit; be aware that it has next-to-no relation to modern english.  teh site is a bit challenging to navigate, so here is the page on how to write alliterative verse. There are also several more examples to be found under 'resources'.

You can also search around for 'thesaurus' or 'dictionary'. I haven't found one of those that I'm particularly happy with; the ones I have found are chock-full of ads. If you know a good one with few-to-no ads I would love to hear about it.

Always remember, there are tones of books - dictionaries, rhyming dictionaries, books of forms, etc. - that can help everyone inspire and create. Stop by your local library and enjoy!

Verseweavers Dragons:

As of:  3 Aug 2019.

The following is sorted alphabetically by scroll name:

Breeding pairs:

NOTE: Because some of us are too lazy to breed repeatedly for a specific breed, users have the option to only breed 'straight run' - whatever the couple lays is what they'll give. A user's breeding policy is posted by their username in the following list.

Kakaru_of_DOOM - breeds 'straight run'

Thriqui (CB blusang) x Fnekc (CB Sapphire) - Founding couple. 

Aseje (2g Sapphire) x Vithruse (CB red-finned tidal)

Jirias (CB witchlight) x Azurite Verseweaver (2g Sapphire)

Sula (2G sapphire)  x Fleurix (2G dark green)

Vivian (CB dark green) (mate of pending Uzmed)

Non-breeding dragons:

Kakaru_of_DOOM:

Stanza (s2 sapphire)

Aurentangle (3g alt dark green)

Zeditha:

Aodr (CB pyralspite)

Habdi (2g sapphire)

Pending individuals:

Kakaru_of_DOOM:

Uzmed (CB undine) (Mate of Vivian)

Gekki (3G sapphire) 

Zeditha:

Juyut (CB anagalis)

Associate Dragons:

Here are groups and individuals with descriptions in verse by scroll, and approximate head-counts:

Kakaru_of_DOOM ~ 150-200 dragons

--> If that's too much, KoD's Highlight reel. I'll keep this at around ten of my favourites.

Ready to rhyme? It's time!

Edited by Kakaru_of_DOOM

...Bump?

I have bred and described several dragons in the linage since I made the initial post - Vivian, Uzmed, Fleurix, Sula, and Gekki - and looking again reminds me I need to breed Fleurix and Sula so that Fleurix's side is officially tied into the lineage. I have also written several miscellaneous verse descriptions. This is actually the second iteration of a project I created back in 2016 that died due to inactivity, so if anyone is wondering why there is more than one user whose dragons appear in the OP, it is because those dragons were bred during the thread's previous life.

I have also edited the first post several times because my earlier versions did not clearly express what I was trying to write. I want to repeat that any dragon is welcome, either for breeding into the lineage or to appear here. I want to express that free verse is acceptable, and try to be open to it. I personally have a strong preference for formal verse and do not feel comfortable critiquing free verse, but others who understand how it works are free to practice it here. If there is someone who wants to help me run this lineage – especially someone who can handle the free verse part – I would be happy to 

My hope is that this thread can serve as a showcase for DragCave's poets and a meeting place for poetic support.