Richarad

Warded Egg Death

I have an egg who became sick last night from too many views. So, naturally, I fogged it and used one of my white dragons' Ward actions to keep it from dying. Come the next morning, the egg was dead. I know the ward only lasts for six hours, but I was under the assumption that the whole point of the action was a sort of failsafe to ensure a fogged, sick dragon didn't die and had plenty of time to heal its sickness. It hadn't been sick for very long when I fogged and warded it, so I'm unsure why it died. The page does, in fact, say that it died of sickness, so it wasn't by some other means.

Here is the dead egg, although I suppose it doesn't matter now past simply being proof of existence:

https://dragcave.net/view/LNj7R

I actually already have a pyralspite of each variety, so I'm not too torn on the matter, but I wanted to ask about it in case it can happen again to an egg I really, really care about (such as one of the legendary dragons or so, due to their rarity and difficulty to obtain).

Ward is not a total failsafe. Six hours is not necessarily enough time for an egg to recover. It depends on how old it was when it got sick and how quickly it got the views that made it sick and probably a lot of other things.

Well it was caveborn -- I actually grabbed it from one of the cave biomes without thinking, lol. Just saw a non-volcano pyralspite description pop up and went "ooh, gimmie!" and then remembered I already had all of those and didn't need duplicates at the moment.

As you can see on the page (via "birth"date and the death date), and from what I've said previously, it happened within a very short time period. Are pyralspites particularly fragile eggs...?

55 minutes ago, Richarad said:

Well it was caveborn -- I actually grabbed it from one of the cave biomes without thinking, lol. Just saw a non-volcano pyralspite description pop up and went "ooh, gimmie!" and then remembered I already had all of those and didn't need duplicates at the moment.

As you can see on the page (via "birth"date and the death date), and from what I've said previously, it happened within a very short time period. Are pyralspites particularly fragile eggs...?

Your egg had far too many views for being only a day old. I'm not terribly surprised it died after the ward ran out, sadly. Ward only prevents an egg from dying while it's active - for six hours. Your egg had so many views it didn't recover, apparently.

I would definitely not add any egg that's less than a day old to fansites. I generally wait 2 days ish before getting my eggs any views at all, otherwise they get sick.

The younger an egg is the more fragile it is.I'm not sure exactly how old your egg was when it got all those views. It could have been anywhere from only a few hours old to nearly two days. A two-day old egg could easily handle that many views, but one that is less than a day would most likely not.

1 hour ago, Richarad said:

Well it was caveborn

cave born or bred and breed doesint matter. its all about time vs views. if your egg was swarmed with views on day one, which looks like it was, of being grabbed/ bred then it will easily become sick and eventually die. if it is not hidden immediately after getting hundreds of views. yours died with 1000+ views, definitely not healthy for a day old egg.

you do not want to enter eggs into hatchery's until day 4 of its time to hatch. same with hatch-lings. eggs/ hatchlings day 7-6 are super fragile. 5-4 a little tougher, but still be careful. day 4 they are much tougher and can handle lots of views, day 3 and lower they can instantly hatch/ grow up as soon as the views reach their needed number. (which is a random amount per egg/ hatchling.)

ward is only meant to buy you a little time for the egg to age under sickness. and MAYBE be cured of the sickness if it ages enough to balance out the views collected. if not, it will stay sick and or die once ward wares off after 6 hours.

9 hours ago, reddof-f6 said:

cave born or bred and breed doesint matter. its all about time vs views. if your egg was swarmed with views on day one, which looks like it was, of being grabbed/ bred then it will easily become sick and eventually die. if it is not hidden immediately after getting hundreds of views. yours died with 1000+ views, definitely not healthy for a day old egg.

you do not want to enter eggs into hatchery's until day 4 of its time to hatch. same with hatch-lings. eggs/ hatchlings day 7-6 are super fragile. 5-4 a little tougher, but still be careful. day 4 they are much tougher and can handle lots of views, day 3 and lower they can instantly hatch/ grow up as soon as the views reach their needed number. (which is a random amount per egg/ hatchling.)

ward is only meant to buy you a little time for the egg to age under sickness. and MAYBE be cured of the sickness if it ages enough to balance out the views collected. if not, it will stay sick and or die once ward wares off after 6 hours.

Is this right? That...explains a lot. I always assumed a bred egg was sort of "under protection" from sickness for at least a little bit because of being on the same scroll as it's parents (if it's an egg you breed and keep, of course). I always wait until 4d to add my CBs to click sites, but sometimes I'll have bred eggs sitting on my scroll too and just won't remove them from the checklist to add them. Most of the time, they never get sick, even if added at 6d and not warded/fogged. I did have a random Canopy egg I bred get sick a few days ago, and I had both her parents. I thought it was weird. Now I know...bred or CB doesn't matter at all. I will definitely take better care of my bred eggs from now on, since they don't have parental protection like I always thought. Wow. I can't believe I NEVER learned this.

TJ said somewhere once that bred eggs are less susceptible ON THE SCROLL OF THE PLAYER WHO BRED THEM. I don't know if that holds up when they move on.

10 hours ago, reddof-f6 said:

you do not want to enter eggs into hatchery's until day 4 of its time to hatch. same with hatch-lings.

This is not really 100% true. You just need to be careful which hatcheries and how many. I generally have my eggs entered into at least 2 hatcheries by the time they are a day old and I don't have a problem with sickness. And I always just keep my hatchies in all the same hatcheries they were in as eggs and don't have a problem. I think if you get slow steady views for your eggs rather than waiting until they have to be ERed, the hatchlings are not really likely to get sick. Just my opinion from experience. If I have to ER an egg and it gets a lot of views before hatching, then I may remove it from hatcheries for a bit to give it a chance to rest. There is more than one way to safely raise an egg and I hate to see people being told that they must do it a certain way. The only must is that you must not stick a brand new egg into a bunch of hatcheries so it gets slammed with views right away.

@Suzumiya I do remember TJ saying long ago that bred eggs were less susceptible to sickness when on the scroll with their parents. That may or may not still be true. But even if it is, it doesn't mean they can't get sick and die if you put them on too many sites too soon.

Edited by purplehaze

Ohh, I see. Although putting it on many fan sites at once was an accident in this case, lol. Usually I wait until they have five days left and then put them on one or two. I had another egg that was ER though and I guess forgot that I also had this brand new one around when I started placing them in hatcheries.

6 minutes ago, Richarad said:

Ohh, I see. Although putting it on many fan sites at once was an accident in this case, lol. Usually I wait until they have five days left and then put them on one or two. I had another egg that was ER though and I guess forgot that I also had this brand new one around when I started placing them in hatcheries.

Yeah, that happens to me a lot, mostly with bred eggs. I need to stop using the auto-add feature and do it manually to save myself annoyance!

On 4/9/2019 at 6:21 AM, reddof-f6 said:

@Suzumiya: This statement isn't right. At least not 100 %. It's possible to play like this, but it will most likely take you longer than minimum time to hatch your eggs - especially if you also use Incubate. 

In my humble experience, it's quite possible to add eggs to a fansite with low traffic from the very beginning. I know from experience that it's possible to add your eggs to ValleySherwood from the very beginning if it's not put in any other hatcheries. After 12 to 24 hours (after stealing/breeding the egg), I also add them to Allure of Neglected Dragons. If it looks like they don't get enough views to hatch at 4 days (with Incubate), I also add them to another fansite or two a couple hours ahead of hatching. This actually works for me, and I don't usually get sick eggs.

A word of advice, though: Around events (Holidays!) and regular new releases, traffic can be increased, so take that into account and better err on the side of caution. 

And another word of advice: Some eggs tend to get targeted by viewbombing. This is especially true for rare eggs (especially CB rares someone who didn't manage to catch gets jealous over), as well as eggs in public trades (=easy targets). Viewbombing also used to befall people who posted on the first few pages of new release threads, so take countermeasures if you post there.

Third, a word to the wise: Some eggs are more susceptible to sickness than others. Most notorious are Prizes (both kinds, all colors), but I think there were some other breeds confirmed. (Trios? Zyus?) Also take hatching windows into account when dealing with sunrise/sunset eggs...

Yes, Zyus. Mine ALL got sick. But I don't collect them any more much, so I can't be sure they still do.

Zyus and prizes are *not* more susceptible to sickness. However, they *do* need many more views than corresponding regular eggs, possibly double or more, and as such are very likely to get sick when forced to hatch too early (usually incubate+hatched between 3d12h and 4d). Medium-strength eggs such as fire gems and luminas also need more views than normal but the level doesn't cross the line into sickness unless they are accidentally given too many views before they can hatch. Hatchlings are more resilient so they can usually survive sickness much longer than a sick egg can, so in the case of near-hatching sickness just hatch the egg and fog it.

Anyway, fresh eggs can get sick at over 60 unique views and what your egg has is what my eggs usually hatch at, so that's definitely too much too soon.

23 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Zyus and prizes are *not* more susceptible to sickness. However, they *do* need many more views than corresponding regular eggs, possibly double or more, and as such are very likely to get sick when forced to hatch too early (usually incubate+hatched between 3d12h and 4d).

Which, in other words, means that these eggs are more likely to get sick (before they can hatch). Isn't that the very definition of being more susceptible to sickness?

6 hours ago, olympe said:

Which, in other words, means that these eggs are more likely to get sick (before they can hatch). Isn't that the very definition of being more susceptible to sickness?

In a sense, but you didn't actually mention that they get sick around hatching times, just that they're more susceptible in general which to me sounded like you were saying something like they'd get sick at an even lower level of views than regular eggs would. Possibly due to the prior messages being about how parent-bred eggs were less susceptible to sickness (probably in general).

14 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

In a sense, but you didn't actually mention that they get sick around hatching times, just that they're more susceptible in general which to me sounded like you were saying something like they'd get sick at an even lower level of views than regular eggs would. Possibly due to the prior messages being about how parent-bred eggs were less susceptible to sickness (probably in general).

I must admit I never really looked at the actual numbers, so I honestly don't know whether the hard-to-hatch eggs get sick quicker. What I know for a fact, though, is that they're more likely to get sick than hatch on time when incubated. It also seems that ND eggs are in that hard-to-hatch category - I've seen many reports of eggs that turned into ND eggs go back in the cracking sequence by a step or two - but due to the fact that ND eggs are so very, very low-time, you can viewbomb them to your heart's content without risking sickness