Dragon_soul

Have you wanted to create a game

Have you felt like creating a game any or help to create a game? If you know school of dragons the game I wish I could either be a helper or one of the creators so tell me if you felt like helping or creating a game😁😁😁

I've occasionally wanted to contribute art to the player-made... mods, I guess, though they call them add-ons... of Wesnoth.  It's basically, um, 2D fantasy turn-based-strategy?

Anyway, I've never gotten around to it, because I always lose interest before I'm done with whatever I set out to make.

What kinds of games would you guys want to make if you had the opportunity to work in a studio?

I've always really liked games that had the main character be some sort of creature or something other than a human-- like Spyro! Getting to be a dragon was cool. Or like in Skyrim when you can turn into a werewolf. I'd love to be part of a game that focused on like, growing up as a young magical creature and coming into your maturity by developing new abilities etc. And getting to customize what that creature looked like, such as horns or colors or patterns etc. 

I've been tossing around an idea in my head for a while, I just haven't had the time to sit down and learn how to use certain game engines. I just do art that I wish I could do game stuff with instead.

1 hour ago, blackmoonflower said:

I've been tossing around an idea in my head for a while, I just haven't had the time to sit down and learn how to use certain game engines. I just do art that I wish I could do game stuff with instead.

I did some work in the UnReal engine in art school, it's pretty darn easy to pick up as long as you understand 3D modeling and can use Maya or similar.

14 minutes ago, Kaini said:

I did some work in the UnReal engine in art school, it's pretty darn easy to pick up as long as you understand 3D modeling and can use Maya or similar.

I've never done 3D modelling. Or been to art school, for that matter lol. I like pixel style games since I'm not that confident with picking up 3D stuff. I have some Unity learning tools, so I was thinking of looking into it.

I've been occasionally wanting to create games ever since I was a kid, but was never good at learning things independently. In the end I started game programming studies in an university of applied sciences after upper secondary school. During my studies I've mostly made games using Unity, but the team I used to be in did make one using Unreal Engine too. All of the resulting games look really rough given that they were made by teams of students, but participating in making each and every one of them was still definitely a learning experience for everyone involved. Currently I'm working on getting and internship and starting my thesis so that I could graduate and get a job in the industry.

I guess one of the things that I could say based on what experience I have as a programmer is that if you're trying to learn to make games, don't go for something big and difficult right off the bat. Do smaller test projects centered around learning how to program features you're curious about. That way you'll get to try out more various things than you would immediately getting stuck on a big project. Not even mentioning that smaller projects are easier to abandon and start again with a different strategy if you find yourself in a dead end. Oh and yeah, having a team for more serious projects is definitely useful if you can get like-minded people together for one. That way you can focus on whatever your thing is, be it programming or graphics. Not to mention it's easier to develop existing ideas when you have some people to bounce them around with.

I dunno, just felt like I needed to say something instead of merely lurking since I've actually studied the subject for three years.

Ooh, I have thought of ideas for games before, but I lack any skills necessary to actually make one. One of my favorite ideas is one I had a while ago: A horror game from the perspective of a dog that's been separated from his owner. :lol:

I have often, but most of my programming experience is in random webapps and other simple stuff, and as it turns out game development is really hard.

I actually did some artwork for a game way back around 2014, but the project fell through. Still got paid so it's all good. I'd love to get to work on another, especially a retro/pixel style indie or a hand-drawn style indie.

I want to make a game but it will definitely be awhile before it would be done, so now I'm working on the lore and such. It will be a fantasy game where you can play as anything. Including humans. dwarves, dragons, naiads, magical animals, wolves, elementals, slimes, even deities.

I bought RPG Maker VX Ave when it was on sale for like $2 and it's a lot of fun to mess around with. A bit limited compared to newer versions, but it's still got all the basic components for a game, plus a bunch of stock graphics and music.

The only projects I've worked on much are a) "puppy game" where just play as a dog and do dog things lol and b) working title "necromancer" which is an elder scrolls fan...game? playable fanfiction? both of these are far from done.

When I was a kid I was really into Morrowind, but I played with the construction set more than the actual game. I tried the CS (or I guess it's CK now) for Skyrim but it's just a bit too complicated for me.

If you want to learn to make a game, it seems like something that is super fun and rewarding to do. There are lots of beginner-friendly programs out there.

Edited by The-Hooded-Stranger
I was really sure I knew what I was talking about two years ago, apparently

I've always wanted to make a game but I don't have the motivation to do it. I've messed around with game-making tools such as RPG Maker and Gamemaker Studio, which are both good for beginners. However, I can't come up with a concept that inspires me enough to make a game. I also struggle with keeping my projects small and organized. So I'm going to wait until I have a planned-out idea before I start a real project.

I imagined a few times what it would be like to create a game but my ideas always came from wanting to continue games that I had as a kid. My favorite games were ones with my favorite cartoon characters.

I really have a dream to create my own game. I even heard that it can be done with Unity and now I learn how to do it. So wait new cool game soon! 

I've had lots of random ideas for games, but realistically the best I'd manage is as a story writer for minor side quests.