High Lord November

Small CB indicator dot

Personally, I don't need the CB indicator since I put all my CBs into one group. I'm not against the idea - but aesthetically I prefer the CB dot to be next to the Adult/Hatchling/etc column, otherwise it would interfere with some of the creative name borders on my dragons. For example, IXX NAME XXI looks way less cool with a big dot on one side.

I don't see a reason to mark inbreds, largely because I don't understand the hatred some people have for specific configurations of non-human inanimate pixel objects, especially since its so accepted to wantonly "kill" said pixel objects. But that is another discussion.

Edited by Twimm

I don't particularly want it either - but am indifferent.  I don't think a load showing other lineages is either needed or a good idea. Clutter, for a start. And I agree with Twimm about no way marking inbreds. TJ has pointed out many times that it's only USERS who object to them, and that there is nothing against them within the game. I do think we have a "responsibility" to know our own scrolls and dragons and not expect someone else to label everything for us. We have groups - if you need something hived off - make a group. Or put something in the name yourself to tell you what's what.

Many people don't like long names full of lineage tags like "Inbred mint female SAltkin," and shouldn't have to use that as a name if they don't want. Having to use names as tags is not a good solution for anybody who uses word codes or a naming scheme.

Groups are ok (if kind of unwieldy) for this purpose, but you can't easily see what groups a dragon belongs to on the breeding page.

It would be nice if there were markers you could flag your groups with. Like, flag your PB group with a diamond, and all your PB dragons have a diamond next to their name (or gender marker, or wherever); flag your inbred group with an X and all your inbred have an X next to their name; flag your holiday cross group with a square and all of those would have a square next to their name. The dot for CBs could be flagged without a group since the system already keeps track of that trait. The key, though, would be that users would have to enable each flag. By default they would be off.

One letter in a name, say, isn't a huge issue.

It is for people who collect codes and dont want to have to obscure those codes with names just to tell themselves what all groups they're in. 🙂

I mean, we don't HAVE to have gender markers on the scroll either. People could just name their dragons with an M or F in front of their name. But it's awfully nice not to have to do that. It would be great if we had the option of marking CB dragons or those we set up in groups too.

Edited by tjekan

AS I say - CB I can get. But not everything. If all your slimeridge ones are in one group - you can look at them by going TO that group.

Sure. But it's kind of too bad that you spend 8 hours putting all your PB's in a group and then there's no way to tell what group they're in from the breeding page other than clicking through to the dragon and looking, at which point you could just look at its lineage and not bother with the whole group thing. It would be nice to be able to mark members of a group you spent that much time putting together. Not essential, but nice.

19 minutes ago, tjekan said:

Sure. But it's kind of too bad that you spend 8 hours putting all your PB's in a group and then there's no way to tell what group they're in from the breeding page other than clicking through to the dragon and looking, at which point you could just look at its lineage and not bother with the whole group thing. It would be nice to be able to mark members of a group you spent that much time putting together. Not essential, but nice.

I definitely agree. I want to start reorganising my scroll and trying to get it tidy and I'd love to be able to have a visual separation for my CBs because I think I'd prefer to have CB scroll goals.

If people are concerned about an indicator symbol taking up too much room, perhaps the font that says their name/code or the "Adult (M)" or "Actions" font could all be bolded? And in the help/tips section on the site, it could clarify "Bolded [Names/Age] indicate a cave-born dragon that you found in the wild" or something. That way it wouldn't take up a huge amount of space that may be intrusive for some people, and would be subtle but still helpful to show CBs.

49 minutes ago, tjekan said:

Oh god this would help me so much. I manually put all my CB Xenos in a group but the breeding page is a lawless wasteland xD

I wouldn’t mind if it’s a setting that can be turned off. I’d also want to be able to turn it off for viewing other scrolls, meaning even if the other person uses them, I don’t see them when I view their scroll.

For people who want to tag specific lineages, maybe have a bunch of different small icons, and users can choose one for each dragon? Maybe small circles of different colors? They get assigned to a dragon by an action on that dragon’s page. Then users can painstakingly assign icons to their dragons one by one.

And if a user decides “blue circle” means inbred, that would be the user assigning meaning, and not the site. So it’s still consistent with TJ’s position. And that user would be able to see it without putting it in the dragon’s name.

Years ago, I was opposed to any suggestion that CBs might be different from bred or inbred dragons in any way. Separating is the first step to one group becoming superior. But now it is a fact of the site that CBs are truly different, since there are several breeds where breeding results depend on the parents’ biomes. So it serves a real functional purpose now.

Edited by wobster109

On 3/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, olympe said:

Or, maybe, instead of a mere CB indicator, indicate the generation of the dragon with a simple number? I mean, it's nice to know what's CB and what isn't, but if you're looking for a mate for your 4th gen holiday checker, you're probably going to look for 4th gens, not any other generation.

I'd like this. It would be good as an extra column on the breeding page - there's already a lot of info on the main scroll, there's lots of room on the breeding page, and it would be most useful there anyway. As for the lineage counter being sometimes wrong, it's usually right, so I don't think it's a big deal. And as for still not being able to tell if it's a checker or stair or messy, does it matter? Being able to see which dragons are 4th gen still narrows the pool that you have to check.

I am in favor of this.  It would be very helpful in the trade point, to see if something is CB instead of having to go and check lineage on every single thing.  Also for breeding.  I have breed sort on my scroll, and so it is a real challenge to try and find the CB's out of the bred ones.   

On 3/22/2019 at 1:37 PM, High Lord November said:

Hi all

I was thinking it would be nice to have a small indicator dot beside dragons to indicate if they're CB. Maybe a solid/filled in dot if CB, and an empty dot for a bred dragon. I'd imagine that it would be present on the main scroll/groups, and the breeding select page. I think it would help avoid multi tab management when I'm trying to search for a CB Dragon (or search for a particular bred dragon) through my scroll, as I find it can get confusing and overwhelming sometimes.

Thoughts?

Support as long as it doesn't show up on any lineage views, or "view" pages. If it only appears on the scroll and nowhere else, that would be great.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:02 PM, High Lord November said:

I've made a small mockup - one on your main scroll, one on the breeding page. I imagine it like a small dot before the beginning of the name. Solid is for CB, open is for bred. Not 100% sure on how it would change with the really long names but I think it's doable!

Screen_Shot_2019-03-23_at_11_53.46_AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 11.54.01 AM.png

With regard to the above mockup, I would rather see only the CB dragons marked, not the non-CB as having a filled-in dot and an unfilled-in dot is confusing to me; I would find myself trying to remember which was which. So if only the CBs were marked, that would be more useful to me. 

On 3/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, olympe said:

Or, maybe, instead of a mere CB indicator, indicate the generation of the dragon with a simple number? I mean, it's nice to know what's CB and what isn't, but if you're looking for a mate for your 4th gen holiday checker, you're probably going to look for 4th gens, not any other generation.

I use groups for this. To me, this would be more complexity than necessary -- I prefer the simpler solution of marking only the CBs.

I used to use, I think it was, "Eggs Around The World", that let you view cave borns to do all my breeding. There was an issue, I believe, with adults with dead parents showing as CB though, if I remember correctly.

A dot would make things so much easier, as now, I open separate tabs for possible mates when I get to the breed that I am looking for.

I would like a sterilize feature for the ones that I never want to breed, ever.

Edited by PrincessLucy

On 11/27/2019 at 10:20 AM, tjekan said:

It would be nice if there were markers you could flag your groups with. Like, flag your PB group with a diamond, and all your PB dragons have a diamond next to their name (or gender marker, or wherever); flag your inbred group with an X and all your inbred have an X next to their name; flag your holiday cross group with a square and all of those would have a square next to their name. The dot for CBs could be flagged without a group since the system already keeps track of that trait. The key, though, would be that users would have to enable each flag. By default they would be off.

I would support this. I agree that it would be great if these options were something we could toggle on/off, so if someone found them useful, great, and if not, they didn't have to view them. I like the idea of it being customizable, like groups, so people can use it (or not) as they see fit.

It could even be symbols, like a snowflake, for example, or a leaf. :)

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:37 PM, High Lord November said:

I was thinking it would be nice to have a small indicator dot beside dragons to indicate if they're CB. Maybe a solid/filled in dot if CB, and an empty dot for a bred dragon. I'd imagine that it would be present on the main scroll/groups, and the breeding select page. I think it would help avoid multi tab management when I'm trying to search for a CB Dragon (or search for a particular bred dragon) through my scroll, as I find it can get confusing and overwhelming sometimes.

From the OP...    (y)

On 3/22/2019 at 1:37 PM, High Lord November said:

Hi all

One reason I support this is because this year I accidentally bred my CB Enraged Aegis to a 2G Winter ... which I promptly renamed WHOOPS Oh Well XD Will probably rename that poor 2G dragon at some point, but I did it to remind myself next year that that particular Winter is not a CB.  I don't use tags like "CB" or gen I II III on my dragon names. I generally check before breeding, and groups are a handy, useful feature, until one gets overly enthusiastic and forgets ... like I did. :ph34r:

I've had a similar oops a couple of years ago. Bred my 3rd gen Snow Angel x Pebble to the wrong (CB) pebble. Noticed, forgot about it. Next winter came around, and I repeated the mistake because, well, that wrong Pebble was at the top of the list. I don't remember if I did it a third time, but I eventually renamed the Pebble to "Not Meant for Angels".

However, a mere CB indicator wouldn't have helped me much with this, either. Because I'd need to easily spot a 3rd gen, not a CB. *grumbles*

I can't see there's any possibility of indicating anything but CB.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Indicating CBs would be very helpful. Groups can handle the rest.  Albeit my groups are a bit unwieldy at the moment. :ph34r: I really need to whittle them down. :lol: The marker idea is nice too, but since the core of this is about marking CBs, I support. 

Having it toggle on and off might be a useful feature for those who don’t want to use/view it. 

59 minutes ago, olympe said:

However, a mere CB indicator wouldn't have helped me much with this, either. Because I'd need to easily spot a 3rd gen, not a CB. *grumbles*

In this case, it'd be pretty obvious that a CB isn't what you need if you're breeding a 3rd-gen, right?

I think this idea would be nice since we still can't filter the breeding page for anything whatsoever, and even a small distinction helps narrow things down. Alternatively, perhaps a 2g/3g/etc note for lineaged things in place of the CB dot? The group filters can already automatically distinguish them so it's certainly possible

Edited by Shadowdrake

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

We could certainly indicate members of a group with a symbol. As with gender and CB, group membership is a toggle the code already keeps track of, so no new work should be required by the site to determine which dragons are which.

It would still be up to us users to decide which dragons go in which groups, of course. Some people would use it and some wouldnt.

Edited by tjekan

1 hour ago, tjekan said:

We could certainly indicate members of a group with a symbol. As with gender and CB, group membership is a toggle the code already keeps track of, so no new work should be required by the site to determine which dragons are which.

It would still be up to us users to decide which dragons go in which groups, of course. Some people would use it and some wouldnt.

I would *love* a group indicator! On the breeding page especially, but it'd also be nice on the main scroll page. I've said it many times, Groups often feels like an 'unfinished' feature because there is sooo much potential there, being able to filter the breeding page by group, a simple marker to show what dragons are in which groups when looking at the main scroll (or the breed page), etc. 

As for the CB marker, it would be nice if we could choose whether or not to display it, but the idea doesn't really bother me anymore. I am still *very* against generation markers, and I will continue to be very very against them until the generation counter is actually fixed. But I've said my piece on that already.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

I would *love* a group indicator! On the breeding page especially, but it'd also be nice on the main scroll page. I've said it many times, Groups often feels like an 'unfinished' feature because there is sooo much potential there, being able to filter the breeding page by group, a simple marker to show what dragons are in which groups when looking at the main scroll (or the breed page), etc. 

As for the CB marker, it would be nice if we could choose whether or not to display it, but the idea doesn't really bother me anymore. I am still *very* against generation markers, and I will continue to be very very against them until the generation counter is actually fixed. But I've said my piece on that already.

If the group markers were implemented, people could do generations themselves if they wanted. They could make a group for 2nd gen dragons. Or a group for inbreds. Or a group for dragons whose parents have names the person doesn't like. It could be objective or subjective, wouldnt matter a bit. All the code would have to do is assess whether the dragon is in the group or not and whether the person has toggled the symbol on or off.