High Lord November

Small CB indicator dot

2 minutes ago, Tears in Rain said:

@High Lord November

The dragon you've shown is in fact Gen 13, not Gen 12. it's just that there are so many generations that are shown in a given lineage at a time - anything higher ends up being hidden. This ancestor of the dragon you picked is Gen 2: https://dragcave.net/lineage/fq1Y So on the lineage view of this example dragon, the counter shows Gen 2 as the lowest visible generation accordingly. 

So while there are some rare and specific occasions of wrong generation display, they have to do with stuff like CB Alts and whatnot and this one is not the case ^_^ 

Oh, thanks for spotting that. Didn't know it cut off lineages.

Okay, I'm going to point to this thread, and then bow out. I really *really* don't like the idea of adding a brand-new feature based on a broken feature that will show outright *wrong* information. I do NOT want generation counters visible on my main scroll page that state *wrong* information, generation counts that are NOT accurate. There are plenty of examples in this linked thread, and I can easily find more to prove this is *not* just a one-in-a-million issue, but I'm really not going to bother because it's obvious some people just don't see a broken feature as an issue. 

I wish to point out one more thing:

People are saying generation counts are really useful, too?  Let's imagine an even-gen lineage.  That first CB row on the right?  It's about half the dragons in the entire lineage.  You can cut out half your click-to-see-if-this-dragon-fits-your-requirements searching with just one little dot.  Without unsightly (as some find them) tags like CB, 2, etc.

My own system for dragon names is supposed to help me find CBs, but it's got a lot of vague cases, and I'll probably just do away with it when I finally sort out everything on my scroll.  One of these days...

Edit:  If you're looking for any gen but CB, you don't have to look through ALL your dragons.  You just have to look through HALF your dragons.  See?  Useful.

Edited by Pilauli

@Pilauli: Guess what? The other half of the dragons from your EG line is not CB. And if you're looking for any gen that isn't CB, you'll still have to look at half of your dragons. (Provided you have them in a group, that is.)

Fully support the dot idea! Not that big on gen numbers though.

I support the dot idea and I'm not against the generation number thing either if it's possible to figure out some way to display it neatly and accurately. I myself don't have any ideas, but I wanted to show my support at least.

Well, accurate counting for all dragons is not going to happen because of other things that can't be undone. There are dragons whose code was recycled who, somehow, "remember" the generation of the original dragon or start at 1 by default (dunno which), where undead/dead ancestors are involved or where a CB alt (black) is in the line that got dead parents added retroactively. They may not show any more, due to old game mechanics, but they still count. Which is why these exceptions are and always will be wonky.

It should be possible to, if not recover accurate generation data for some very old dragons, then at least flag them as invalid or something, and to only show known-good markers. I'd support a gencount marker in general.

6 hours ago, osmarks said:

It should be possible to, if not recover accurate generation data for some very old dragons, then at least flag them as invalid or something, and to only show known-good markers. I'd support a gencount marker in general.

I'd support a gen-count marker IF there was a way for the system to mark obviously wrong counters as invalid or somesuch.... Even just some algorithm that excludes all lineages with negative numbers from the 'gen count marker' feature, I'd be good with that. I do understand how easily seeing gen counts at a glance could be beneficial, I just don't like the idea of my scroll filled with *wrong* information, and the fact that I have a *lot* of messies on my scroll means my scroll probably has more potential for wrong counts then many. 

+1 support for the dot idea. It would make breeding/arranging dragons a lot easier. Not here for the gen. count, however.

Hmmmmmm... I fully support the dot idea as I THOUGHT I posted somewhere already.

ESPECIALLY if it shows up in breeding lists.

I am not so sure of the idea of gen numbers.

HOWEVER! I wonder if that is something that could be made an option in one's account settings? So that those that want them can have them and those that find them intrusive could turn them off?

This'd be especially useful for trading. If anyone's against this as they feel like it might clutter their scroll (another row of information), maybe add an option to enable/disable it in your account settings.

Actually - why would it be useful for TRADING - anyone making a trade would be offering something growing on their scroll and would know what it was to start with, and anyone offering on a trade would be mad not to LOOK at the trade in the first place, not at the other player's scroll.

It'd be a lot faster. Isn't that the point of this all? Whether for breeding two CBs or for trading for two CBs. I'm not saying it's going to make it easier for the person offering the trade, but for the person looking through offers/the trade hub.

But the dot was to appear on our scroll pages (on the dragon's page you can see it anyway) I don't think anyone has suggested it should appear beside a trade....

On 3/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, High Lord November said:

Hi all

I was thinking it would be nice to have a small indicator dot beside dragons to indicate if they're CB. Maybe a solid/filled in dot if CB, and an empty dot for a bred dragon. I'd imagine that it would be present on the main scroll/groups, and the breeding select page. I think it would help avoid multi tab management when I'm trying to search for a CB Dragon (or search for a particular bred dragon) through my scroll, as I find it can get confusing and overwhelming sometimes.

Thoughts?

Well in that case I'd like it there as well, or at least have the option of showing it there 😛

On 4/10/2019 at 5:49 AM, Zalom said:

Well in that case I'd like it there as well, or at least have the option of showing it there 😛

honestly, I'm GOING to check the lineage on anything I even consider trading.  So I don't see the point in having it there.   Sometimes people put the wrong egg up, or don't know what the definitions actually are, and sometimes the site gives the wrong number.  I'd rather check for myself thanks.  On the scroll, this would be useful, in the hub, it's redundant and unnecessary.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:38 PM, DragonLady86 said:

honestly, I'm GOING to check the lineage on anything I even consider trading.  So I don't see the point in having it there.   Sometimes people put the wrong egg up, or don't know what the definitions actually are, and sometimes the site gives the wrong number.  I'd rather check for myself thanks.  On the scroll, this would be useful, in the hub, it's redundant and unnecessary.

Exactly what I meant. :)

I'd LOVE this!

Or alternatively, users being given a few different symbols (circles, star, heart, ect) that they can use to mark dragons themselves.

I'd be perfectly happy to mark all my CBs myself if it could be done. It would make breeding a lot nicer.

You mean like custom symbols, maybe 10 x 10 pixels? ;)  Too little to spell out nasty or naughty stuff, but enough to be discernible.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:55 PM, olympe said:

You mean like custom symbols, maybe 10 x 10 pixels? ;)  Too little to spell out nasty or naughty stuff, but enough to be discernible.

Or just a bunch of pre-provided images.

I'm so glad this topic exists...... I would LOVE something like this! Or maybe a separate group in the automatic filter listings where it says "available for bsa" "unnamed hatchlings and adults" and stuff, where cavebreds are automatically sorted. I name my dragons differently depending on if they're cavebred or not and trying to go through and name everything but having to manually check if they have a lineage or not..... is so annoying! I would love an indicator or a separate filter to separate cavebreds please please please

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this one. I can understand the problem may occur to people, who don't want to display the generation on the names already... But the mock-up displays samples only to short name or dragons with just code... what about long names? At least with my naming system, the entire thing... well... I think image is gonna speak for itself when already the male hatchlings of mine are having bit of problem at times with "Hatchling (♂, *)" part can be wonky...

zsLu0pP.png

With the dot being added, I'd imagine same thing would happen to all my dragons that is happening to this hatchling atm...

6Xr58zi.png

So... I can support it, but can we make it optional? Or otherwise just make the entire scroll itself wider so we can get another column to show generation of dragon?

Edited by Moonlightelf