YATA-GARASU

Recommendations for WWI/WWII Novels

Posted (edited)

This is quite odd, but I find the topic of modern war intriguing, particularly the subjects of both World Wars. I've already read All Quiet on the Western Front, Schindler's List, and MAUS I+II, and I'd love to hear about other books with similar topics! Particularly books where it centers around a soldier's life, similar to All Quiet, but I'd be happy to know about really anything. Thank you! :)

Edited by YATA-GARASU

I mostly read fantasy/sci-fi but here's a handful of war books you might be interested in. All these books are really sad, I mean war books in general are sad but when told from the perspective of children/animals it makes it sadder.

War Horse, about a horse during WW1 and what happens to him, sees the war from both sides as well as from a civilian perspective.

Soldier Dog, about a British boy in WW1 who works as a messenger dog handler.

The Boy In Striped Pyjamas, about a young German boy who lives on a WW2 concentration camp as his father is the commandant of the camp. He befriends a young Jewish boy living inside the camp.

The Book Thief, about a young German girl living in Dresden during WW2, her family hides a Jewish man in the basement.

I don't read too many WWI/WWII novels, I read more modern ones like The Red Circle. But I have just started Never Call Me a Hero by N. Jack "Dusty" Kleiss. Even though I am not far, it has started off pretty good. It is about a WWII dive bomber who fatally struck 3 Japanese Warships during the Battle of Midway. Though you didn't ask, I also recommend the band Sabaton if you are into metal music and history. They have a lot of songs about WWII. I really want to read more WWII books so I might read some more some time.

Not sure if it would be something you'd be interested in, but I enjoyed Love and Glory by Jeane Westin, an old WWII novel about four women becoming officers in the newly-created Women's Army Auxiliary Corps, and following them throughout the war. There's Page Hannaday, military brat whose General father is dead set against her joining up, but who wants to make a career of the military. Jill Hammersmith, a petite girl who tries too hard to be perfect, in part due to the guilt she feels over her boyfriend's combat wounds because he originally wanted to register as a conscientious objector. Elisabeth Gardner, a former fashion model trying to hide some nasty secrets about her past. And Bunny Palermo, freshly divorced and acting as the class clown to hide the pain.

Fiction, yes. Some romantic entanglements, yes. And lots of fascinating tidbits about the times, the prejudice faced by these earliest women soldiers both from their male counterparts and from folks on the homefront horrified at the very idea of women acting so unwomanly as to join the army.

"All The Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr.

One of the best books I know. Won the Pulitzer price a few years back (2014 I think?).