TJ09

2019-03-10 - March Dragon Release

Whoa, the Aqualis dragons are so pretty! I didn't expect that from those eggs. :blink:

I like how the female Aqualis dragons look more buff than the males. You don't see that very often.

And an Eastern two-headed is wonderful to see! ^_^

I love both of these dragons so much! I can't wait to breed the blue ones with kingcrownes:D

All the adults look so PRETTY!

I'm always happy for new two-headed dragons and Leviathans/Easterns.

So yea!

So I'm confused, were the sprites the wrong gender at first? 

I noticed TJ's are switched now and I swear I liked the white side better but I think they switched and now I'm just all confused lol

I like both of these (esp my little garou). I do like two headed dragons and these are very good. I don't often get tongue twisted, but I keep saying blancback instead of blancblack Practice is needed.  

The Aqualis colors are stunning and easterns are always welcome. Might have to pair them with silvers) 

5 hours ago, LadyLyzar said:

@Whirlaway I consider them to be Easterns adapted for life in shallow water.

7 hours ago, LadyLyzar said:

I'm glad you all like the Aqualis!  I had a blast making them - what can I say, I love iridescent colors and trying to find fun ways to use them in the "nature" of DC.

Aqualis scales reflect sunlight (they hunt near the surface) and create their dazzling colors.  The males are pack hunters and use teamwork to herd fish into each other's hungry jaws.  Females join this hunt if they are courting, but they are usually solitary.  When hunting alone, a female uses the tip of her long tail as a lure.  Once the fish is interested in the tail, the female sweeps up from behind and eats it.

Aqualis aren't particularly large or powerful creatures.  I imagine them to be slightly larger than Mints, not counting their tail.  If threatened, they will try to escape to shallower water, or to shore if they must. They aren't particularly agile on land and the sun dries them out after awhile, so they will eventually have to return to the water.

I'll write more later!

Thank you for the info! And for the pretty dragons!

Good to know they are Easterns.

I wasn't sur before.

1 hour ago, Nightwalkerkey said:

I noticed TJ's are switched now and I swear I liked the white side better but I think they switched and now I'm just all confused lol

Goodness  - you're right - I noted down the female, when it first appeared and I could also swear it was the one that's now a male.

1 hour ago, Nightwalkerkey said:

They've definitely changed. I remember specifically like the cream side facing out on the first one that matured(which was a female)

I LOVE on the difference of the Aqualis's manes(?) between the males and females. The female has a thicker, and softer looking mane and tail tuft

Edited by Stellalunastorm

Yeah the sprites were swapped, I requested they be corrected because the white facing the viewer was always supposed to be male, purple-black facing the viewer was always supposed to be female.

Random Blancblack (I call them BBs) trivia:

-The design that I used for them is a reimagining of an old, long-dead DR thread that was called the Duality Dragon.

-The name means white-black--Blanc is French for white.

-It's also a subtle nod to this game called The Gray Garden.

-They're based off the concept of yin and yang being in balance with each other. As white = yang = the masculine aspect and black = yin = the feminine aspect, that's why I insisted on the sprites being swapped to their intended state instead of just leaving it.

-In the vast majority of cases, a BB's white head identifies as male, the black head identifies as female, one head is slightly dominant and can overrule the other's control in the (VERY rare) instances they disagree, and what they count as for breeding matches the gender of the dominant head. Any of these not being true for an individual BB is quite rare, but not impossible.

-Female BBs grow noticeably larger and have longer tails they use as whips when defending a nest.

-BB populations tend to do well in harsh climates due to their generalist omnivore strategy and the relative lack of competition in extreme locations. That said, they greatly enjoy milder climates as well.

-BBs are very social, and while they're hardy and can survive with only their other head for company, they only really thrive in groups. Even more introverted BBs who need some alone time to recharge get very lonely if they never interact with others.

I used most of my egg slots getting the two-headed dragon eggs because I wasn't expecting much from the other egg and now I see that was a huge mistake on my part. Both dragons are amazing and I am really pleasantly surprised by the the Aqualis. Wow!!! Great job, spriters.

20 minutes ago, TCA said:

-In the vast majority of cases, a BB's white head identifies as male, the black head identifies as female, one head is slightly dominant and can overrule the other's control in the (VERY rare) instances they disagree, and what they count as for breeding matches the gender of the dominant head. Any of these not being true for an individual BB is quite rare, but not impossible.

This. Is. So. Cool!!! I've actually had thoughts about that since I first started playing DC, if two-headed dragons ever have heads with differing genders. It seems like something that must happen at least every so often, with two separate heads/brains/etc. I *love* new releases that have interesting, new-to-DC descriptions.

That's awesome info TCA!! Thank you so much for clarifying, makes sense. I love the description, concept, and art and everything! Great release. Was there info on the Aquatic, are we pinning them soon I hope?

1 hour ago, TCA said:

Yeah the sprites were swapped, I requested they be corrected because the white facing the viewer was always supposed to be male, purple-black facing the viewer was always supposed to be female.

Some of the best art on the site--really well done!

Beautiful dragons! Both have interesting descriptions of their behavior as well.

Such pretty dragons!!! I'm especially glad that I had picked up so many of the Aqualis ❤️ 

still need one speckled from Volcano, but I keep reflex-grabbing other stuff. XD

Edit:  Got it. :)

Edited by VioletWhirlwind

oh  no I have missed the beginning .. hope to find some of the pretty new ones .. 

5 hours ago, InfiniteGalaxiezz05 said:

When I get enough of each, I'm so making an Aqualis X Blusang checkerboard.

Yess! Me too :D

@TCA

thanks so much for the info on those beautys, love the concept!

I want to try pairing the Blancblacks with Baikalas, although I don't have nearly as many Baikalas as I'd like.  The Aqualis Dragons should be perfect for continuing this project, once I manage to get a Shimmer out of the parents.